PDA

View Full Version : MMA Fans



dallaskd
03-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Most of the time you can tell by a persons posts...who their favorite fighters are, people they hate, ect. Cant really tell on this forum. what are yalls fav fighters, fights, people you dislike, and im also intrested how you became an MMA fan and got intrested in the sport.

dallaskd
03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Heres my mma bio...

When i was in 8th grade or so my friends told me about the upcoming Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock at UFC 40. I really didnt know anything about the UFC or what mma was. I thought it was fighting and you could do anything you wanted but like no weapons. After the UFC 40 card I immediatley became Ortiz, Liddell, Hughes, and Newton fans. And for a few years i didnt really watch any fights i would just tell my friends how bad ass Tito Ortiz is. I just saw KOTC, UFC, and PRIDE trailers on tv and would read about them on the internet, but never watched them. And around came TUF 1. the day of the TUF 1 finale they had a marathon of all the episodes. my brother called me in and told me about this show. i watched the on demand episodes and UFC unleashed. That night i had the time of my life and during the forrest griffin-bonnar fight we were screaming and forrest soon became my fav for the time being. Right after i hit up ufc.tv and got so into mma. the next day i bought both UFC video games. We saw the promos for Randy Couture-Liddell 3 the night of TUF 1 finale. I liked liddell so we convinced my dad to buy it and ever since that we ordered various PRIDE cards and UFC cards but i didnt make buying UFC ppvs regular until around UFC 58. Then i went to UFC 64 to see Rich Franklin and its been off since then.

my favorite fighters in no order:

Ace Franklin
Couture
Swick
Forrest Griffin
Matt Hamill
Sokoudjou
Kenflo
Joe Riggs
Dan Henderson
Mayhem Miller/Nick Diaz

I could add on alot to that though.

Top fights in no order:

CroCop-Fedor
Liddell-Couture 3
Sokoudjou-Nog/Arona
Hendo-Silva
Rampage-Liddell 2
Gomi-Diaz
Griffin-Bonnar 1
Hughes-Trigg 2
Hughes-Newton
GSP-Hughes 2
Wandy-CC
Fedor-Randleman
Huerta-Garcia

and alot more but it takes alot of time to think out a top 10.

I really dont dislike alot of people but id probably have to say...

Tank Abbott
The Shamrock brothers
Anderson Silva( Im sure hes a good guy but he kicked richs ass twice)

There are a few more but i cant really think of them right now

Rip-Hamilton32
03-29-2008, 09:44 PM
my favorite fighters:
chuck liddell
nate quarry
sam stout
roger huerta
gsp

can't think of the rest lol
stout vs fisher 1 and 2

Rip-Hamilton32
03-29-2008, 09:45 PM
and i became a fan cause my step dad always used to watch ufc

dbreiden83080
03-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Was an MMA fan back when it got started with the Gracies in the early UFC's. Watched it when i was a kid but then fell out of out it as the sport was in trouble of folding. Got back into it when Tito fought Shamrock at UFC 40. I was pulling for Ken as i knew him from the early years of the UFC and WWE but Tito dominated the fight and he won me over that night. From that point on i was a huge Tito Ortiz fan. Followed his career closely and supprted him through the tough losses, the ups and the downs. As i got more and more into the sport i became a huge fan as well of Wandy Silva, Randy Couture, Rampage Jackson and of course GSP. If i had to rank my favorite fighters of all time i would have to go

Tito Ortiz
George St. Pierre
Randy Couture
Rampage Jackson
Wandy Silva

cornbread
03-30-2008, 03:38 AM
I watched the first 10 or so UFC ppvs. My best friend and I were into martial arts and his dad was a fight fan so he would buy them for us. He eventually quit buying them so I rented videos whenever I would see new ones at the store and later started checking out videos on the internet. After college when i started making money, I started to buy ppvs.
Favorite fighters:
Coleman & Kerr
Evan Tanner
Igor Vovchanchyn
Ivan Salaverry
Diaz Brothers
BJ Penn
Jacare

Least Favorite:
Eddie Sanchez and the like

Favorite Fight:
Hughes vs. Trigg II

Evan
03-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Started watching in HS in the mid 90's. My buddy brought over some beer and VHS tapes of MMA that he bought from the back of a Martial Arts magazine . Toughman, UFC and some others. Watched it for the sheer violence. I eventually started getting into it the MMA part of it and kept renting new ones from video stores. A VHS would have 1 or 2 good fights...most was freak show garbage but I kept renting for those few fights since I worked next to a video store....It really wasn't MMA back then so much as chaotic fighting so I wouldn't say I was a fan of MMA as much as ass kicking. Then John McCain got it banned and I forgot about it. (IMO McCain is a hero...he saved MMA by making people turn it into a safer organized sport)

Never heard about it again until a local radio host mentioned a new show he was watching called...The Ultimate Fighter. I checked it out when it was replaying on a marathon on SpikeTV and watched every episode of TUF 1 in one sitting. This new form of MMA was something completely different that what I had seen a decade ago...I logged into my Netflix account and to my surprise there was countless DVD's of UFC and something called PRIDE (I miss it :cry ) I added them all to my queue and basically did nothing but watch MMA for a year in my spare time.

And believe it or not our very own LEONARD is the guy who got that radio host into MMA so indirectly LEONARD got me back in MMA as well. And it was LEONARD who link a blog story I wrote that landed me here. Odd eh?


Its hard for me to have a favorite fighter now since I love MMA so much as a whole but ....

Cro Cop
Rich Franklin
GSP
Matt Hughes

are all guys I latched onto when I got re-introduced to MMA so they will always be in "Evan's MMA hall of fame" :lol :lol

cornbread
03-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Here's another good question. Who's your favorite up-and-comer?

My faves are:
Thiago Silva
Machida (more of a rising contendor than up-and-comer I guess)
Jacare

Evan
03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Sam Stout

and jacare was almost on tuf this season. Not sure what happened

cornbread
03-30-2008, 09:11 PM
and jacare was almost on tuf this season. Not sure what happened
Does he speak english? That could have something to do with it.

desflood
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
When my husband and I began dating way the hell back in '97, I told him early on that I was a fan of contact sports; football, hockey, even pro wrestling (no, we did not watch Wrestlemania yesterday). One night at his apartment he popped in a video of UFC 1 and said, "Now, watch this. This tiny little guy in the gi is going to make all these big guys look stupid." I thought he was nuts! But damned if he wasn't telling the truth. Now here we are 10 years later, still married and I'm an even bigger fan of mma than he is :married:

It's hard to nail down just a couple of favorite fighters. Oleg Taktarov will always be high on the list... GSP, Forrest Griffin (what a personality), Fedor, Nick Diaz (he grows on you like a barnacle), Phil Baroni, and (of course) Jens Pulver will also always hold a top spot.

Don't really have a favorite up-and-comer, but Joe Lauzon has been really impressive.

LEONARD
03-31-2008, 01:15 PM
When my husband and I began dating way the hell back in '97, I told him early on that I was a fan of contact sports; football, hockey, even pro wrestling (no, we did not watch Wrestlemania yesterday). One night at his apartment he popped in a video of UFC 1 and said, "Now, watch this. This tiny little guy in the gi is going to make all these big guys look stupid." I thought he was nuts! But damned if he wasn't telling the truth. Now here we are 10 years later, still married and I'm an even bigger fan of mma than he is :married:

It's hard to nail down just a couple of favorite fighters. Oleg Taktarov will always be high on the list... GSP, Forrest Griffin (what a personality), Fedor, Nick Diaz (he grows on you like a barnacle), Phil Baroni, and (of course) Jens Pulver will also always hold a top spot.

Don't really have a favorite up-and-comer, but Joe Lauzon has been really impressive.

Oleg is suppsed to fight for YAMMA Pit Fighting April 11, 2008 in NJ...

I like Lauzon too...

Some others I like...
Tyson Griffin
Frankie Edgar
Thiago Silva
Wilson Gouveia
Demian Maia
Jacare
Thales Leites

Evan
03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Does he speak english? That could have something to do with it.

I got my facts wrong. He was offered a true contract to fight, not TUF, but wanted too much money.

Evan
03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Oleg is suppsed to fight for YAMMA Pit Fighting April 11, 2008 in NJ...

If they somehow manage to hold a second show it will be a miracle.

tlongII
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Couture is my favorite MMA fighter. He's from Portland.

I like Short Fuse too. He's from just across the river.

Evan
03-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Couture is my favorite MMA fighter. He's from Portland.

I like Short Fuse too. He's from just across the river.

dude...short fuse is growing on me.

cornbread
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree, Short Fuse is going places. He has a lot of potential.

dallaskd
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I invented MMA.

LEONARD
04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
:lol

Hardly...