PDA

View Full Version : Projection- Spurs roster 2008-2009

manufor3
03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Assuming the following- Horry retires, Stoudamire leaves, Splitter comes over, We draft brandon rush, Thomas leaves, We get Diop, Barry retires, we get Mickael Pietrus. Other moves would be made, but the general outlook would be-

C- Diop/Oberto/Splitter
PF- Duncan/Splitter/Mahinmi/Bonner
SF- Bowen/Pietrus/Udoka/Rush
SG- Ginobili/Finely/Rush
PG- Parker/Vaughn

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I doubt we'd be able to get both Diop and Pietrus.
And I don't want Pietrus.
And I'd try my best to resign Thomas.

manufor3
03-30-2008, 03:28 PM
I doubt we'd be able to get both Diop and Pietrus.
And I don't want Pietrus.
And I'd try my best to resign Thomas.

Okay switch pietrus with thomas

coopdogg3
03-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Finley isn't under contract next year. Quite possible he retires, or possibly leaves the Spurs looking for 1 more payday. But there's a real possibility he's not on the Spurs next year.

myhc
03-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd love to resign Thomas. Horry, Stoudamire, and Finley are gone. Didn't Barry just sign an extension?

T Park
03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Resign Thomas.
Sign Splitter.
Sign James Jones
draft a wing

call it a summer

ss1986v2
03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
pg: parker/vaughn
sg: manu/MLE free agent/1st round pick
sf: bowen/ime
pf: duncan/thomas/ian
c: oberto/splitter

throw in a 3rd pg (vet scrub or kid), and maybe another wing (i would think vet in that case, maybe barry if hes around?) and call it a roster.

as far as who fills the missing spots, guys like james jones, carlos delfino, kelenna azubuike could all potentially fill the MLE-type guy spot. as for the draft, i just pray rush is still on the board, and if not, i wouldnt mind picking up courtney lee. a lot of the other names that get brought up dont really interest me.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Resign Barry, Horry, Finley, Damon, tell Splitter to stay overseas, watch the Mavericks repeat as NBA Champions! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

Agloco
03-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Resign Barry, Horry, Finley, Damon, tell Splitter to stay overseas, watch the Mavericks repeat as NBA Champions! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant

I think the prerequisite for repeating is winning one first........

:lol :lol

Kori Ellis
03-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Both Splitter and Mahinmi might not be here. I doubt they can get Diop. They will probably try to trade Bonner, I would imagine.

Finley, Horry and Barry might all retire.

I'm not crazy about Pietrus. I'd like to see the Spurs get a young swingman and backup PG.

ace3g
03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Chris Duhon is most likely not returning to the Bulls next season, he has good size for a PG

WildcardManu
03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
If the matrix opts out, it would be nice he came to S.A. but it's just a dream, would be cool to have his rebounding and versatile defense, not the best but good enough.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
What are people's opinions on the odds of Darius Washington coming back for another go?

ace3g
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
that all depends on what his contract length is overseas

BradLohaus
03-30-2008, 04:25 PM
NBADraft.net has Rush going at #35
http://www.nbadraft.net/

DraftExpress has him at #25
http://www.draftexpress.com/

Hopefully he doesn't light up Davidson today.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Am I also the only one that thinks the Spurs will try to re-sign Jeremy Richardson?

DAF86
03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
we need a PG sub that can shoot the ball. Maybe V-Span

nfg3
03-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Resign Thomas

Finley, Horry and Barry will all probably retire - at least Horry will but I doubt if Finley wants to come bak we will give him the big $$ he might want and go elsewhere.

I'm not high on Pietrus - great talent but very low BB IQ and we all know how that goes over with "Poppy"

Bonner will most likely be trade bait but I have a feeling Pop will give him one more shot in the beginning of next year and if it dosen't work out then he's gone. Hate to give up on him but he has been given opportunitites to perform and has been inconsistent.

Duhon looks possible as a backup to Tony. I'd like to grab him if we can.

The Matrix doesn't seem likely since he will demand huge $$ and that just isn't going to happen IMO. This FO wont shell out the type of $$ Matrix will believe he deserves.

I don't know what is going to happen to Ian. I think I read in ST that the Spurs have promised him a shot/spot next year. I don't think he has matured enough to stay out of foul trouble in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong on that.

This summer will be interesting to say the least.

DAF86
03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=nfg3The Matrix doesn't seem likely since he will demand huge $$ and that just isn't going to happen IMO. This FO wont shell out the type of $$ Matrix will believe he deserves.[/QUOTE]

marion should resing a little bit of money to sign with the spurs (we could be unbeatable with tony, manu, bruce, tim and the matrix) but i don't see Shawn as smart as Tim or Manu

nfg3
03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree that if the Matrix did sign with us we would have a great team but look at who he is. He has come across as self centered and has openly complained in the press about his situation with the Suns. That doesn't sound lik a "Spur" to me and considering how the FO and Pop have viewed the character of the player as an important criteria for signing one it seems very unlikely that this happens.

And yes I also agree that the Matrix isn't as smart as either TD aor Manu.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2008, 05:18 PM
What are people's opinions on the odds of Darius Washington coming back for another go?Quite low.

Am I also the only one that thinks the Spurs will try to re-sign Jeremy Richardson?Depends on whether Atlanta has any plans for him.

DAF86
I agree that if the Matrix did sign with us we would have a great team but look at who he is. He has come across as self centered and has openly complained in the press about his situation with the Suns. That doesn't sound lik a "Spur" to me and considering how the FO and Pop have viewed the character of the player as an important criteria for signing one it seems very unlikely that this happens.

And yes I also agree that the Matrix isn't as smart as either TD aor Manu.

maybe all that could change with a championship and the chance of many more.
and the smart part was 'cause duncan and ginobili resigned money to play in a better team but i don't see marion doing that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Finley, Damon, Barry, and Horry retire.
Draft Brandon Rush, Goran Dragic.
Sign Splitter, James Jones, and Jeremy Richardson.

C Thomas/Oberto/Splitter
PF Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner*
SF Bowen/Udoka/Rush**
SG Manu/Jones/Richardson
PG Tony/Vaughn/Dragic**

*On IR.
**Assigned to Toros.

Decent?

ducks
03-30-2008, 05:29 PM
spurs need to get a little younger no matter what the postseason does

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
If Mahinmi isn't packaged to get rid of Bonner's salary, he'll be on the team.

Splitter will be here.

Finley, Horry, Stoudamire gone.

I'd expect them to go after V-Spanoulis.

Some wing they'll go after, like James Jones, and probably get him.

They might draft a domestic SF like Brandon Rush. That'd be my pick right now, but who knows what they do.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
The Spurs will be like $13 million or more under the tax threshold this summer. What makes anyone think they will have to dump salary?

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Draftexpress has us taking Tyler Hansbrough right now, with Brandon Rush the pick after. Teams in the late lottery might be kicking themselves in the future for not picking up Hansbrough. He'll not be a star, but he's too talented to pass up for a guy with 'potential'.

Mr.Bottomtooth
03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Draftexpress has us taking Tyler Hansbrough right now, with Brandon Rush the pick after. Teams in the late lottery might be kicking themselves in the future for not picking up Hansbrough. He'll not be a star, but he's too talented to pass up for a guy with 'potential'.

Draftexpress.com

Tyler Hansbrough
Worst Case: Luis Scola
:rollin

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, I was kind of setting that up. You don't have to even think about drafting Hansbrough if you don't idiotically trade away Scola, as they're practically the same player.

Idiots. Just idiotic trade. Foolish, short-sighted, imbecilic.

ducks
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, I was kind of setting that up. You don't have to even think about drafting Hansbrough if you don't idiotically trade away Scola, as they're practically the same player.

Idiots. Just idiotic trade. Foolish, short-sighted, imbecilic.
had ming not got hurt
scola would not be getting the touches

K-State Spur
03-30-2008, 05:59 PM
i think this game is showing some of Rush's offensive limitations when he's not allowed to cherry pick for wide open 3s.

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
had ming not got hurt
scola would not be getting the touches

So the fuck what? He's still vastly better than Bonner, isn't he?

Fact is, Yao goes down, Houston without Scola? Maybe not even the playoffs.

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
i think this game is showing some of Rush's offensive limitations when he's not allowed to cherry pick for wide open 3s.

A bit, but he swings the ball around pretty well, doesn't he? If he's a Spur, all he has to is step into the Bruce Bowen cockroach role.

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Rush = good defense this game, is getting loose balls and boards. His offense isn't great, his ability to manufacture it.

K-State Spur
03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
rush is a good defender (when he wants to be, he takes a lot of games off on that end of the floor).

poor ball handler, not good at creating his own shot.

he does hit the wide open 3 from the wing well.

ChumpDumper
03-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Idiots. Just idiotic trade. Foolish, short-sighted, imbecilic.Luxury tax.

It happens to every team.

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Damn, Curry can't be given daylight.

I don't know how good Rush will be as a pro. Where the Spurs draft, they could do a lot worse.

easjer
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Is Mahinimi really on the table? I like him. :depressed

Texas_Ranger
03-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Finley, Damon, Barry, and Horry retire.
Draft Brandon Rush, Goran Dragic.
Sign Splitter, James Jones, and Jeremy Richardson.

C Thomas/Oberto/Splitter
PF Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner*
SF Bowen/Udoka/Rush**
SG Manu/Jones/Richardson
PG Tony/Vaughn/Dragic**

*On IR.
**Assigned to Toros.

Decent?

Everything OK., but Dragic... No way. I'd rather see K-Will back.

Bruno
03-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Is Mahinimi really on the table? I like him. :depressed

I have seen nothing hinting that Mahinmi was on the table.

Spurs seems happy with his development and it looks like they want to keep him.

manufor3
03-30-2008, 06:57 PM
tyler hansbrough is returning to UNC for his final year

Bruno
03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
If Spurs are interested in a player in the Darius Washington mold, they should go after a player called Antonio Graves. He is young (born in 1985) and is tearing the French league.
He is just a rich man Darius Washington.

Mr. Body
03-30-2008, 07:00 PM
tyler hansbrough is returning to UNC for his final year

Like he's going to declare during a potential title run.

MagnusKrauss
03-30-2008, 10:27 PM
bring back james white!

BIG z
03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Ron Artest?????

baseline bum
03-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I think the prerequisite for repeating is winning one first........

:lol :lol

Making the playoffs is a pre-req for that. :lol

2centsworth
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM
there's no way in hell the spurs land hansbrough.

ducks
03-30-2008, 11:20 PM
So the fuck what? He's still vastly better than Bonner, isn't he?

Fact is, Yao goes down, Houston without Scola? Maybe not even the playoffs.
had ming got hurt early houston still would not made the playoffs with scola

manufor3
03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
there's no way in hell the spurs land hansbrough.
if he falls we should get him though

Kill_Bill_Pana
03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
What are people's opinions on the odds of Darius Washington coming back for another go?

He have 2 year contract with Aris. I am not sure if he have NBA opt out or not. But he is make about $4 million in the US way of figure the salary for NBA.

Flux451
03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Horry retires
Damon, Bonner is waived (if Bonner doesn't prove himself rest of year)
Thomas, Finely, Barry stay

C- Oberto/Splitter/Mahimi
PF- Duncan/Horry/Thomas
SF- Bowen/Udoka/Finely
SG- Barry/Manu/James Jones
PG- Parker/Vaughn/Duhon

I really liked Jeremy Richardson, but was too relaxed on Defense.

:ihit take that

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
I put this in another thread like this a month ago, but I'm sticking with it.

Horry, Finley, St. gone, which leaves:

TP/JV
Manu/Barry
Bruce/Ime
TD/Bonner
Oberto

BIGS - Resign Thomas for 2 years, add Splitter and Mahinmi. Give Rob's PT to Bonner, and if unhappy by Jan. trade him - someone will want him for $3mil/yr. Then bring in another big who can shoot the 3.

WINGS - I understand that Barry will be with us next year as per his resigning? Add Carlos Delfino or James Jones (or both if possible - unlikely) for the MLE.

PG - sign (or trade for) a young PG with potential for the $2mil exception or LLE. If we could prise Lowry away from Memphis that would be great.

The team gets significantly younger, more athletic and energetic, but still has that veteran core to get it done.

Mr. Body
03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
No one is going to want Bonner for $3 million. The Spurs will have to sweeten the offer.

I don't know if adding James Jones and Splitter is enough to get this team 'significantly' younger, more athletic and energetic. It's a bit of a start, but unfortunately I think that'll be the extent of what they can do.

oboymeetsogirl
03-31-2008, 07:49 PM
If the Spurs go all the way this year, no one but Horry is guaranteed to leave by their own volition. I'd bet even Barry would come back for one more just to make up for all the lost time this year.

That said, I'd say I hope we replace either Vaughn or Stoudemire. I don't see them as being effective enough backups for Parker to sustain another run to the title. We could do better. But since I'm not an NBA insider, I wouldn't say where that PG would come from...

Ocotillo
03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Two things.

Who the hell is going to take Bonner in a trade unless we throw in a prospect ala the Butler trade?

Keep Ian!

Second, why do people think Barry is retiring this summer? He signed for two more years, might as well collect a check.

O-Factor
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd at least like to see Splitter come over and start learning the NBA game under some great veterans we have. And I'd like to resign Thomas and get another young wing who can shoot the 3 ball.

ata
04-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Since is April 1st: Beno is FA this summer ;)

manufor3
04-01-2008, 03:33 PM
maybe we could try bringing in gerald green?