PDA

View Full Version : The Standings Thread

spurscenter
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey I want to start a thread about the Western Conference Standings which I find completely amazing. What a historic year.

I know various questions will arise between now and the end of the season about the standings, perhaps this can be the thread to post questions regarding standings, rankings and playoff match ups.

Isn't it amazing that Denver which has been in 9th place all year, can suddenly take 1st place in its division (2 games behind Utah) and actually knock Utah out of the playoffs? Its getting crazy.

Here are some cool links

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2008&group=conference&seasontype=2&standType=expanded

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/matchups?season=2008

on this one
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffmatchups

the standings are whacked, lol 3 vs 3, 1 vs 6, changes so much I dont think yahoo can keep up.

Also check out the final 2006 season standings, Dallas 15 losses!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings?year=season_2006

On another note, I loved what Jeff Van Gundy said today about teams that are out of the playoffs, instead of rewarding losses with more ping pong balls in the lottery (even if its not automatic that you will get #1 pick) they need to reward bad teams with some sort of "wins" record so that they dont tank the rest of the games to get better chance at the lottery.

Makes perfect sense.

m33p0
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
its gonna be a roller coaster ride to the finish.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Nuggs in 7th now coz they own the tiebreaker vs Mavs and Warriors

CubanMustGo
03-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Isn't it amazing that Denver which has been in 9th place all year, can suddenly take 1st place in its division (2 games behind Utah) and actually knock Utah out of the playoffs? Its getting crazy.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Denver is 2.5 GB Utah, not in first place in their division, and unlikely to catch Utah.

m33p0
03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
are the mavs and warriors tied at 8th? looks like the warriors still has a chance to knock the mavs out of the playoffs once again, indirectly this time.

CubanMustGo
03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
are the mavs and warriors tied at 8th? looks like the warriors still has a chance to knock the mavs out of the playoffs once again, indirectly this time.

Three-way tie for 7th. GSW plays Dallas again in Dallas later this week.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-30-2008, 10:49 PM
the jazz last 5-6 games at are brutal and the nuggs face the jazz one more time. If the Nuggets can somehow stay within 1-2.5 games this week then they have a small shot at Utah

m33p0
03-30-2008, 10:52 PM
looking at the standings the remaining schedule for each team is causing my brain to freeze. one day, the spurs are fifth, the next they are tied at first. i'll just wait for the end of the season. awts.

BonnerDynasty
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Pop can quit throwing games now that Dallas is out of the picture.

nfg3
03-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Really crazy this year. A couple of losses and you get to go fishing. Absolutely amazing!

Didn't JVG state that the Rockets didn't play since Friday and were in 2nd place and today they entered the game against the Spurs in 5th?

This is just too wierd but it really is exciting since every game could mean being in or out of the playoffs.

Unbelievable!

spurscenter
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Denver is 2.5 GB Utah, not in first place in their division, and unlikely to catch Utah.

yea i was wrong, actually utah if they lose the division could still be in the hunt for 7th or 8th

but its so crazy

Lakers are lucky they won today, Washington didnt box out at the end and lakers got the ball back and won 126-120 OT

they were about to lose

honestfool84
03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Pop can quit throwing games now that Dallas is out of the picture.

thinking pop would ever throw a game - ESPECIALLY in this playoff race - is the equivalent of thinking bonner could ever be a dynasty.

EDIT: the mavs are NOT OUT of the playoff race..

Allanon
03-30-2008, 11:27 PM
If you want the #1 seed this year, you're going to have to take it away from the guy who has it. To be the best, you're going to have to beat the best and it's going to come down to some vital games at the end.

I see Hornets, Lakers, Spurs and Suns as the possible #1s.

Spurs @ Lakers on April 13th
Spurs vs Suns on April 9th

Hornets @ Lakers April 11th
Hornets @ Dallas April 16th (last day of the season I think)

Suns have 1 huge game against Spurs left, Lakers have both Spurs and Hornets.

Whoever wins those will be #1.

Spurs have the hardest remaining schedule as far as opponents. Hornets have the hardest if you're considering road games. Lakers have to go up against both Spurs and Hornets in 3 days. Suns have a mix of road games and difficult opponents.

spurs1990
03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I can't believe Dallas is on the verge of missing the playoffs entirely!

peskypesky
03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
I can't believe Dallas is on the verge of missing the playoffs entirely!

How sweet it is!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd only like the idea of Dallas missing hte playoffs if Dirk was healthy during it. I'd rather see them get beat down in the first round now with the Jason Kidd failed experiment.

honestfool84
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
a part of me just can't see the nba playoffs being the nba playoffs with the nuggets in instead of dallas.

gosh, i hate the nuggets.

spurscenter
03-31-2008, 01:24 AM
what you guys think of what jeff said?

they need to reward bad teams (teams out of the playoff hunt) with incentives for more lottery balls for some sort of best "wins" record so that they don't tank the rest of their games to better their chances at the draft lottery.

Too many teams right now like Miami, Minny, etc. are going to tank it for more lottery chances or shut players down for the year and let these teams fighting for seeding basically win rather easily.

If they reward wins instead (or some sort of factor/percentage for most wins for those clubs out of it, it could keep them competitive vs teams fighting for positioning and keep teams competitive.

Its also good for the fans, I mean, think of a game like say MIAMI vs. MILWAUKEE right now, no one would give a shit without a BEST WIN PERCENTAGE incentive.

if so, at least you know they have something to play for as competitors from the coaching staff down to players. I dunno.

something to make these bad teams play hard even if they are out of the playoffs vs. teams that are still in the race and even teams out of the race.

I hope they look into this. JVG brought up a great point.

right?

DAF86
03-31-2008, 01:25 AM
what you guys think of what jeff said?

On another note, I loved what Jeff Van Gundy said today about teams that are out of the playoffs, instead of rewarding losses with more ping pong balls in the lottery (even if its not automatic that you will get #1 pick) they need to reward bad teams with some sort of "wins" record so that they dont tank the rest of the games to get better chance at the lottery.

Too many teams right now like Miami and co are going to tank it for more lottery chances.

If they reward wins instead, it could keep them competitive.

right?

very true. what the heat are doing is ridiculous