PDA

View Full Version : JVG vs. Mark Jackson

TwoHandJam
03-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Only saw it mentioned once in passing in the official game thread so I thought I'd bring it up here. What did you guys think of that heated exchange between JVG and Jackson during that segment about their top 5 mvp candidates in the Houston game today?

I thought it was pretty damn funny how tense things got. Especially when Jackson said something to the effect that he "thanks God he doesn't think like JVG. :lol The other commentator (can't remember his name) was dead silent for quite some time. Funny stuff.

Is there any prior bad blood between these two?

peskypesky
03-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Jackson is a douche.

Spurminator
03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Wait, you really bought that there was actual conflict between the two? The arguments between JVG and Jackson are always tongue in cheek. They're very good friends.

It's annoying because it sounds so forced... and also because Mark Jackson comes off like a moron.

T Park
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
nah i think it was semi orchestrated, but they are ok.

I think its a great tandem him and Jackson with Breem.

DAF86
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Only saw it mentioned once in passing in the official game thread so I thought I'd bring it up here. What did you guys think of that heated exchange between JVG and Jackson during that segment about their top 5 mvp candidates in the Houston game today?

I thought it was pretty damn funny how tense things got. Especially when Jackson said something to the effect that he "thanks God he doesn't think like JVG. :lol The other commentator (can't remember his name) was dead silent for quite some time. Funny stuff.

Is there any prior bad blood between these two?

which were theirs candidates? and who are brent's fave five?

ducks
03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
jvg bowen is guarding macgrady all wrong
but bowen owned macgrady all day
jvg is an idiot

TwoHandJam
03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Wait, you really bought that there was actual conflict between the two? The arguments between JVG and Jackson are always tongue in cheek. They're very good friends.

Well if they are then they're really doing ABC a disservice because they sounded genuinely mad at each other. The long, tense silences just don't pass well for casual banter.

JamStone
I think it got a little heated actually, but still not too badly. Jackson said something to the effect that he "sincerely apologized." Still mostly tongue in cheek, but borderline serious. I don't think it was scripted like that.

ducks
also that 22 game streak is so overrated
regular season mvp is over 82 games

ATX Spur
03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Brent's fave five were KG, JKidd, Duncan, Ray Allen, and...i can't remember the third one he said.

Spurminator
03-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Most of the awkward silences were just Mark Jackson trying to think of a snappy comeback. He's a decent enough analyst but he's not witty at all.

lefty
Mark Jackson during every single game :

" Defense wins championships "

Then 10 minutes later :

" I'll take a good offense over a good defense anytime "

" C'mon JVG, you're better than that !"

During every Spurs game : " This is a classy organisation that understands what it takes to win a title ", or " this is an experienced hall of fame coach who knows what to say to his players "

No wonder why he's a douche; look pic below

http://www.nba.com/media/allaccess/draft_fashion_jackson87.jpg

TwoHandJam
which were theirs candidates? and who are brent's fave five?
Don't remember them offhand but I do remember JVG was trying to make a case for Pierce. I think what started the argument was JVG arguing that Kobe doesn't always make his team better because he scored a lot in the losing effort against the Grizzlies but the Lakers still lost.

timvp
03-30-2008, 11:47 PM
For a national broadcast, those three do a good job. Van Gundy is pretty funny, even when sometimes it's unintentional. Jackson can be annoying but he knows the game pretty well. Breen plays his Ernie Johnson type role well by keeping the topics moving.

Overall, I like the three of them. Van Gundy especially has good insight and he's not afraid to call out players, coaches or refs. Since he coached so recently, he knows the league amazingly well.

Compared to the days of Al Michaels and Doc Rivers, they're good. Compared to my nightmare duo of Bob Costas and Doug Collins, this trio is great.

TwoHandJam
03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Brent's fave five were KG, JKidd, Duncan, Ray Allen, and...i can't remember the third one he said.
LeBron

TwoHandJam
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Most of the awkward silences were just Mark Jackson trying to think of a snappy comeback. He's a decent enough analyst but he's not witty at all.
True. His long silences is what threw me off and made me think he was genuinely upset.

ducks
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
LeBron
:rolleyes

Kori Ellis
03-30-2008, 11:52 PM
I think JVG is great but I don't like Mark Jackson that much.

But I think most of their "conflicts" are very tongue-in-cheek, as others have said here.

TwoHandJam
03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
:rolleyes
:lol

Why do I get the feeling Ducks' opinion of Barry just went down a notch?

Actually, I thought Brent was gonna mention Manu for sure. I thought he loved to watch him play.

DAF86
03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
:lol

Why do I get the feeling Ducks' opinion of Barry just went down a notch?

Actually, I thought Brent was gonna mention Manu for sure. I thought he loved to watch him play.

i thought the same. specially 'cause they seem like pretty good friends.

E20
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Mark Jackson is Escalades older brother. LOL

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-31-2008, 12:29 AM
JVG brings some nerdy humor, and can say some really funny jokes/observations sometimes (although sometimes he can be biased and annoying. especially with his rockets/coaching relations)

Mark Jackson has no charisma whatsoever. I don't like his voice, or something...I wish he would get replaced. :lol That's how blah I think he is calling the games. He should just do ESPN recaps or whatever.

also that 22 game streak is so overrated

I agree, the way they were playing that up during the game, :lol it's a shame no one was there to keep their opinions honest.

Also ABC's coverage is horrible. I don't need to see the commentators at the table in their MVP talks, while a game is going on. I don't care if they're waiting to inbound the ball. The players are the entertainment not the blah commentators.

Spurminator
03-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Since we're talking about ABC's broadcast, I have to say, the NBA on ABC theme is growing on me. It's still no "Roundball Rock" (NBA on NBC) but it's enough to give me that "Hell yeah, it's time for some basketball" feeling when it comes on.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-31-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry but I really really really hate Mark Jackson in the broadcast booth. His annoying "I'd take good offense over good defense" is ridiculous. JVG is brilliant, and I'd much rather see him paired with Barkley (which probably would never happen) or even Hubie Brown.

But Mark Jakson is terrible, and I actually think him trying to be the ying to JVG's yang is tiresome

Herschel Walker
03-31-2008, 01:01 AM
outside of Sean and Bill my personal favs are JVG and Hubie. I wonder if that would be a good team with Breen? I'd like to find out.

jag
03-31-2008, 01:13 AM
JVG is pretty funny, but Mark Jackson can get really annoying. Nothing about their disagreement during the game seemed like legitimately heated exchange.

Tigole Bitties
03-31-2008, 02:22 AM
I kind of enjoyed TNT's lineup of:

- Marv Albert + Steve Kerr
- Kevin Harlan + Doug Collins

The Dick Stockton + Marv Fratello combo sucked ass

Princess Pimp
03-31-2008, 02:25 AM
The game was so boooooriiing!!

ChumpDumper
03-31-2008, 02:28 AM
And yet, you watch every one of them.

Princess Pimp
03-31-2008, 02:30 AM
And yet, you watch every one of them. Nope! those I only watch when I have insomnia.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2008, 02:43 AM
You watch every game and you post here every day.

Princess Pimp
03-31-2008, 02:48 AM
You watch every game and you post here every day.

Like I've said, only when I can't sleep and I post here just to make fun of all of you dumbasses.

ChumpDumper
03-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Like I've said, only when I can't sleep and I post here just to make fun of all of you dumbasses.Why?

Princess Pimp
03-31-2008, 02:54 AM
Why?
Just becuase

m33p0
03-31-2008, 02:59 AM
at least it wasn't those guys who calls the celtic home games.

polandprzem
03-31-2008, 03:41 AM
Just becuase

That's the goal everyone wants to achive

Taco
03-31-2008, 08:04 AM
separated at birth

http://www.viromedia.com/gui/vincent.jpg
Vincent Schiavelli AKA Mr Vargas

http://www.benmaller.com/graphics/photos/vangundy.jpg

JVG

spursfan09
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Just becuase

becasue you are jealous and have no life. I already know why you watch all the Spurs game and post here in a Spur forum. I love the fact that you hate the Spurs so much and obsess about them. Never stop posting. You remind me how bad ass the Spurs are every time. If they were not you would have never cared to post here.

cheguevara
03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
they are both fucking idiots. I am with Bill Walton! they are all asshole Knick fans!

ancestron
03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
They are annoying as hell. I am trying to watch a basketball game and they wont stop bickering like 5 year olds. Get me some damn comentators who get along for christ's sake. I dont think its cute or funny or anything.

jmard5
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Like I've said, only when I can't sleep and I post here just to make fun of all of you dumbasses.

Wake me up when they beat a good team ass kisser!

TheTruth
03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
JVG and Mark Jackons are pretty damn good. JVG especially. I love that he's not afraid to bag on current and former players and coaches. I loved how he called out Allen Houston for blowing the defense on the AJ shot in '99. I kind of felt bad for Houston.

YoMamaIsCallin
03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
I am a huge fan of Jeff Van Gundy. I think he's the best analyst on TV right now. I don't think he'll stay in the booth for long, however. And Mike Breen is the perfect foil for him, and he actually manages to make Mark Jackson seem witty and quick. Pretty amazing.

I'm also a big Hubie fan. But I can't stand Doug Collins. He is Major Obvious -- he outranks Captain Obvious. I've almost never heard him say anything that surprised me or made me think.

braeden0613
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry but I really really really hate Mark Jackson in the broadcast booth. His annoying "I'd take good offense over good defense" is ridiculous. JVG is brilliant, and I'd much rather see him paired with Barkley (which probably would never happen) or even Hubie Brown.

But Mark Jakson is terrible, and I actually think him trying to be the ying to JVG's yang is tiresome
yeah its hard for me to overcome the urge to slit my wrists whenever i have to listen to Mark Jackson. He may know alot about basketball, but he comes off like a loud fan that loves dunks and no defense.

NASpurs
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I hate how he calls Tim "The Scientist". Yeah yeah I get why he calls him that but it sounds so boring and I'm thinking he calls him that because of that reason as well.

nfg3
03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
I like JVG because of his insight and he calls it like he sees it. No fear of upsetting anyone. Mark J on the otherhand is somewhat boring. His voice is much too monotoned for broadcasting. He needs to inject some life into it. He plods along and puts me to sleep, though I liked his analysis of the Stackhouse/manu incident recently. He called it what we all thought it to be - dirty play by Stack.

romad_20
03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
What's with "The operation was a success but the paitent died" I cringe everytime Marc Jackson says it. It's stupid Marc Jackson, you're better than that!

thispego
03-31-2008, 02:35 PM
what was it that JVG said the other week that he didnt like for players to do. He didnt like them to celebrate a certain play or something like that. he said it "makes you look emotionally drunk" :lmao