PDA

View Full Version : AVERY: If Dallas missed the PO, out of a job?

spursfaninla
03-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Some great, great Irony if Dallas misses the playoffs.

The year after they have a 67 win season;
2 years removed from the finals,

shortly after Avery gets his number retired

Avery might be out of a job.

If I'm Cuban, I retire the little general if the do indeed miss the playoffs. They have been healthy almost all year.

His team has quit on him.

He traded youth for, well, age (assuming he had input on that one)

Finally, they appear to be missing their window.

Bye Bye.

To be honest, I admit I have resentment towards Avery b/c he helped prevent the deserved 3peat 2 years ago...

Solid D
03-31-2008, 12:52 AM
No, I don't think Cuban would fire AJ. Cuban had a role in the trades, too. They don't have their MVP player and they have been trying to figure out how to play together with the new players. No way Cuban should get rid of Avery.

Kori Ellis
03-31-2008, 12:55 AM
I think AJ gets fired this summer (unless by some fluke, they win the title.)

Kori Ellis
03-31-2008, 12:56 AM
I also think if he doesn't get another head coaching job immediately, he'll end up in the Spurs organization as an assistant. :dramaquee

ChumpDumper
03-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I also think if he doesn't get another head coaching job immediately, he'll end up in the Spurs organization as an assistant.
Yeah, that's annoyingly inevitable. Maybe the Knicks will hire him.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
So what is the deal with Avery? He started off as a very promising coach (even won COY.....but then again, so did Sam Mitchell) but then it all went downhill. He also makes more puzzling decisions than Mike D'umbtoni.

Is his stubborness gonna derail his coaching career?

ChumpDumper
03-31-2008, 01:03 AM
He was made a head coach a little too soon.

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-31-2008, 01:03 AM
if he gets fired then i can almost guarantee he will come to Denver

SenorSpur
03-31-2008, 01:18 AM
I also think if he doesn't get another head coaching job immediately, he'll end up in the Spurs organization as an assistant. :dramaquee

God help us all if that happens. :sleep

jag
03-31-2008, 01:18 AM
if he gets fired then i can almost guarantee he will come to Denver

And what made you come to this conclusion?

NuGGeTs-FaN
03-31-2008, 01:23 AM
my disdain for George Karl :lol

I'm hoping the Front Office has a similar view by the end of the season :lol

Dirk Nowitzki
03-31-2008, 01:26 AM
If Avery gets fired, I promise you he wont be unemployed very long. A team like the Hawks, Bucks, possibly Nuggets, etc etc will be calling him.

Mark in Austin
03-31-2008, 01:35 AM
I just don't see how Avery's compulsive need to control a game from the sideline fits with a veteran team like the Spurs. Once Tim, Manu, and Tony are gone, bring him in. Until then, let him get seasoned on somebody else's bench.

SpursPreacher
03-31-2008, 01:36 AM
avery is gone either way barring a ring,but another team will happily scoop him up.

jag
03-31-2008, 01:41 AM
I just don't see how Avery's compulsive need to control a game from the sideline fits with a veteran team like the Spurs. Once Tim, Manu, and Tony are gone, bring him in. Until then, let him get seasoned on somebody else's bench.

Ya, how could a guy like Avery ever fit in with the Spurs...He doesnt know the first thing about how the Spurs run their business. :rolleyes

timvp
03-31-2008, 01:47 AM
http://spurstalk.com/aj-game-winnah.jpg

Das Texan
03-31-2008, 02:20 AM
I think it would do Avery a lot of good to come here as an assistant for a few years, learning all he can from Pop, before moving onto his next head coaching gig.

There is only so much you can do in Dallas as head coach anyway.

m33p0
03-31-2008, 02:28 AM
--> PJ Carlisemo <--

porscha
03-31-2008, 03:15 AM
:bang AJ is so disgusting after the manu/stackhouse play

whottt
03-31-2008, 03:20 AM
You know...AJ's a pretty good coach.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-31-2008, 03:46 AM
Ya, how could a guy like Avery ever fit in with the Spurs...He doesnt know the first thing about how the Spurs run their business. :rolleyes
Does Tim still like him?

roycrikside
03-31-2008, 05:20 AM
kori how can you suggest that AJ would come here as an assistant coach? Wouldn't it be a slap in the face of Tony and Manu? AJ disrespected both of them as a Spur plus as the Mavs coach he openly preaches dirty play.

m33p0
03-31-2008, 05:31 AM
I think AJ gets fired this summer (unless by some fluke, they win the title.)
that won't be fluke. that would be AN ACT OF GOD since, as of their current state, they will require a little miracle to get to the playoffs and a major one to get past the first round.

ShoogarBear
03-31-2008, 05:32 AM
You know...AJ's a pretty good coach.That pretty much constitutes a ringing endorsement.

And if bringing AJ in will piss off the CoM, so much the better.

whottt
03-31-2008, 07:13 AM
That pretty much constitutes a ringing endorsement.

Well...the Mavs hired him to beat the Spurs and he did that pretty effectively....they just couldn't beat anyone else.

I think they overachieved in beating us, making the finals, and winning 67 games..AJ fit the pieces together nicely.

At the same time...I think AJ can wear on people. I think he reached that point with the Spurs as PG in fact. There are positives and negatives...he'd definitely be a nice assistant for the Spurs and he'd get the guys to play hard, but he does have a track record of having some kind of Napoleon complex and based on his track record, he would definitely have an expiration date on his viability as a helpful assistant unless something major changes about his approach to basketball.

I could think of a lot worse things than him coming to the Spurs...like his going to another team and putting the pieces together to beat us again.

Outside of AJ...no one but Phil Jackson and the Shaq Kobe Laker Dynasty has beaten a healthy Spurs team from this era in the post season. I'll give him that...

I think he's a hell of a lot better coach than he was a PG(mainly because his shot isn't relied upon).

smeagol
03-31-2008, 07:29 AM

:lol :lol :lol

You have developed an interesting hate against the CoM.

Bringing AJ would piss off some old time Spurs Fans. The Argie portion of the CoM could care less.

tav1
03-31-2008, 07:53 AM

He's not a bad hire for the Knicks. The Avery hate seems overboard to me. He's a better coach than 75% of his peers. If I'm Donnie Walsh, I prefer Avery to many of the candidates that are connected to the Knicks. Is Rick Carlisle a better coach than Avery Johnson--I'm not sure.

I'd take him as an assistant, except it seems a little redundant. Honestly, I'd rather have an offensive mind like Iavaroni. Pop and Avery is a little too much preaching to the choir and the choir preaching back.

More than anything, though, Avery needs to temper himself and relinquish some control. Still, if not in Dallas, he's someone's head coach next season.

SenorSpur
03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Now that he's gotten a taste of being a head coach, would he really want to settle for being an assistant again? Somehow, I can't see his ego allowing him to go that route - unless, of course, there were no other head coaching options available.

41times
03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey do you Spurs fans want to play the Mavs in the 1st round of the playoffs?

We will likely be the 8th seed because Denver has the tie break over us and we have the tie break over the Warriors.

Hopefully the Spurs will finish as the 1 seed and the Mavs as the 8th seed. At least i would get to see 1 great playoff series!

Jimcs50
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
It is my understanding that it was Cuban that wanted to make this trade for Kidd, so how can he blame AJ for this mistake? Also losing Dirk puts Dallas behind the 8 ball in the race for the playoffs. I think AJ will be back for sure.

tav1
03-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey do you Spurs fans want to play the Mavs in the 1st round of the playoffs?

We will likely be the 8th seed because Denver has the tie break over us and we have the tie break over the Warriors.

Hopefully the Spurs will finish as the 1 seed and the Mavs as the 8th seed. At least i would get to see 1 great playoff series!

Most Spurs fans are hoping for either the Mavs or the Rockets in the first round. The Mavs simply gave it away by trading Diop and Harris for Kidd. The Spurs can take their current roster in 5 games, and without much problem.

Dave McNulla
03-31-2008, 09:18 AM
It is my understanding that it was Cuban that wanted to make this trade for Kidd, so how can he blame AJ for this mistake? Also losing Dirk puts Dallas behind the 8 ball in the race for the playoffs. I think AJ will be back for sure.

.if you thought you knew everything and you made the trade but your coach could not make the team play well together, who would you blame? yourself?

Dave McNulla
03-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Most Spurs fans are hoping for either the Mavs or the Rockets in the first round. The Mavs simply gave it away by trading Diop and Harris for Kidd. The Spurs can take their current roster in 5 games, and without much problem.you think the mavs would win a game?

Jimcs50
03-31-2008, 09:27 AM
if you thought you knew everything and you made the trade but your coach could not make the team play well together, who would you blame? yourself?

Good point...AJ is toast.

:lol

urunobili
03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Kori do you think Pop will welcome his "unique" energy on what now is the Big Three lockeroom? i am not so sure.. if it was a team with youngsters all around it actually makes sense... discipline etc etc... but on this team? i doubt he could be beneficial :pctoss

bigfan
03-31-2008, 09:59 AM
AJ isnt getting fired by Cuban regardless of the playoffs. He's a pretty good coach, under contract and besides, he's probably better than any other available coach.

boutons_
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
If Mavs miss the playoffs, Dirk's absence protects Avery, in the way PJ is protected by Oden's absence. The pressure to win returns with a franchise player returns.

daslicer
03-31-2008, 10:11 AM
AJ will never be an assistant with this team as long as Duncan is on it. I just don't see it happening. AJ is too controlling and that is why he didn't get along with Duncan in the first place. I just don't see Duncan putting up with him again espescially now that he was won 3 more titles without his presence.

Mark in Austin
03-31-2008, 10:18 AM

It's one thing to know how the Spurs run their business. It's another entirely to be able to put that into practice.

AJ was able to "get over himself" (Pop's phrase, not mine) enough to help get the most out of Big Dave and help the Spurs win a championship. He hasn't proven he can do the same as a coach. I don't want to risk the chemistry disruption during Duncan's remaining years that this might cause:

-Tim's apparent ambivalence to Avery's departure
-Avery's disrespect of Parker
-Avery's behavior during the '06 semis
-The fact that Avery is a control freak and Manu is at his best in a system that allows him to improvise.
-Would Parker be more likely to leave SA after his current contract if AJ is on the staff and heir apparent to Pop?

These are ligit concerns about how adding his personality to this mix of players would work. (This isn't blind AJ hate. Although I woudn't have chosen to retire his jersey, I get why it was done and really don't have a problem with it.)

Probably makes no sense to worry about it one way or the other now. He's Dallas' coach until Cuban fires him or he resigns.

MoSpur
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I hate to say it, but he brought it too himself.

SenorSpur
03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

I read the same thing. In fact, I read somewhere that Cuban actually initiated the talks with Nets GM Rod Thorn and brokered the components of the trade. Which would lead one to ask, where was his GM during all this?

There's no doubt that Cuban is as culpable as anyone for the state of the Mavs, as currently constructed. The Kidd trade was just the latest mistake made by that organization.

However keep in mind that, as the owner, Cuban is not going to fire himself. He will find a fall guy. Under that scenario, it's not hard to believe that AJ could get fired - especially if Cuban and he are at odds.

Allanon
03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Avery's the perfect fall guy for Cuban's mistakes. I don't think he'll get fired in the offseason but rather he'll get it during some slump during next year.

I don't see Avery seeing next year's playoffs as the Mavericks coach.

SenorSpur
03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I hate to say it, but he brought it too himself.

Very true. He could be earmarked for the Popovich Rehab program - of which Kelvin Sampson is a current patient.

ancestron
03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
TNT NBA Thursday with Marv Albert and Avery Johnson.

easjer
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I do think AJ gets fired. I hope to everything holy he doesn't come here as a coach. I have lost a lot of respect for him as a coach in the last couple of years. He coaches too emotionally, he reacts like a player. He's too controlling, and he overthinks things. No, no, no, no to his coaching the Spurs. I think his ego is too big to allow him to take a supporting role and coaching conflict isn't a good thing.

Just, no, dear Lord, no.

I will say though that though Cuban is low on my list of people I like, I do admire his appearance of standing behind Avery and trying to discourage this kind of talk right now. Even if he fires him twelve hours after their season ends, it is the right move to try and end the distraction that this sort of talk must be to the team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM

Maybe GS needs an assistant coach.

ploto
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
AJ will not last long anywhere as a head coach with the personality he has. Even PJ has learned to tone it down a little to be the head coach in Seattle. Avery is someone who simply wears on people after a while. I also see no way in which he comes to work for this Spurs team.

Kori Ellis
03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
kori how can you suggest that AJ would come here as an assistant coach? Wouldn't it be a slap in the face of Tony and Manu? AJ disrespected both of them as a Spur plus as the Mavs coach he openly preaches dirty play.

Because I know Pop. And I know if AJ didn't get a head coaching job elsewhere, Pop would add him to the staff. Whatever AJ has done outside of the Spurs, the organization views him as a Spur and I know that they'd bring him back into the family.

But, I don't think it will actually happen because I think he will get other head coaching opportunities.

41times
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
you think the mavs would win a game?

If the Mavs are healthy you might just see a repeat of last years 8 seed over the 1 seed.

This match up edge is Razor thin. Home court means very little to either team per the last 3 years.

2 weeks ago Spurs win by 2 or 3 points with Avery and Terry getting stupid Technicals and the Mavs still have a shot at the end. Spurs win last week by 7 and No Dirk for the last 20 minutes of the game.

I'm telling you, these 2 teams are as even as it gets regardless of seeding and regardless or records.

Spurs would kill the Rockets for sure. But not the Mavs. Of course the Mavs might not make it so you you might have to play Denver or Golden St. and that's not much easier.

wildbill2u
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Cuban is not known for good basketball decisions. He will find a scapegoat and Avery looks like the only one in sight. He doesn't need to justify himself because he's too rich to worry about criticism.

There have been some rumors that Avery's personality and controlling mannerisms were beginning to wear on some Mavs players. It happened here too. In that respect, Avery may be compared to George Karl in the future as his career progresses.

Los Spurs
03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe the Knicks will hire him.

and maybe Malik can finally have some playing time...

daslicer
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Because I know Pop. And I know if AJ didn't get a head coaching job elsewhere, Pop would add him to the staff. Whatever AJ has done outside of the Spurs, the organization views him as a Spur and I know that they'd bring him back into the family.

But, I don't think it will actually happen because I think he will get other head coaching opportunities.

It seems like you have a lot of love for AJ anyways what makes you think he would ever comeback here with Duncan on the team. I just don't believe that Duncan would want to put up with him ever again. Even Pop would have to respect Duncan in that regard.

SenorSpur
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Cuban is not known for good basketball decisions. He will find a scapegoat and Avery looks like the only one in sight. He doesn't need to justify himself because he's too rich to worry about criticism.

There have been some rumors that Avery's personality and controlling mannerisms were beginning to wear on some Mavs players. It happened here too. In that respect, Avery may be compared to George Karl in the future as his career progresses.

Ah, winning is a great deodorant. But when you're losing....look out!

Kori Ellis
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
It seems like you have a lot of love for AJ anyways what makes you think he would ever comeback here with Duncan on the team. I just don't believe that Duncan would want to put up with him ever again. Even Pop would have to respect Duncan in that regard.

I have a lot of love for AJ? I don't even like AJ.

gospursgojas
03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
What if Dirk getting injured actually saves AJ.

Now he has a reason for a shitty season...

Findog
03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I do think AJ gets fired. I hope to everything holy he doesn't come here as a coach. I have lost a lot of respect for him as a coach in the last couple of years. He coaches too emotionally, he reacts like a player. He's too controlling, and he overthinks things. No, no, no, no to his coaching the Spurs. I think his ego is too big to allow him to take a supporting role and coaching conflict isn't a good thing.

Just, no, dear Lord, no.

I will say though that though Cuban is low on my list of people I like, I do admire his appearance of standing behind Avery and trying to discourage this kind of talk right now. Even if he fires him twelve hours after their season ends, it is the right move to try and end the distraction that this sort of talk must be to the team.

This is a great take. :toast

And I'm not being sarcastic, pretty much sums it up.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
His team has quit on him.

bullshit.

what fantasy land do you live in?

more like....he'll yell..and then he'll yell some more like every player on the team has just started playing basketball a few days ago.

mavsfan1000
03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Fuck Avery Johnson. Please take him. He is the worst coach in the league.