PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Rockets Mar. 30

timvp
03-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Now this was Spurs Basketball. The Spurs took on the Houston Rockets in a game with a mass amount of playoff implications – and the Spurs routed the Rockets. The final score (109-88) doesn’t even indicate how much the Spurs dominated this game. San Antonio got up big early and never looked back.

The Rockets are actually a good team, which makes this domination by the Spurs actually mean something. On paper and on the court, Houston might not look like much – but they’ve played excellent basketball over the last couple months. Tracy McGrady is playing well and they have a seemingly endless supply of quality role players. Without Yao Ming they probably aren’t a championship contender but they’re a tough minded team that can execute on both ends of the court.

The Spurs have had a lot of games recently where they’ve played well for a few minutes here and there but this game was a breakthrough. For at least 40 of the minutes, the Spurs were playing as well as they have all season. Defense was suffocating, while the offense stuck to the game plan and was relentless.

Overall, this was a game to get excited about if you are a Spurs fan. After months and months of mediocre play, the Spurs finally had a near complete win over a quality opponent. This had to be the best game the Spurs have played tip to buzzer since November.

-Tim Duncan wasn’t spectacular but he didn’t need to be in this game. He played solid defense and quarterbacked the team from the low post on offense. He was far from flawless and his stats don’t look outstanding, but Duncan had a quality outing. He finished with 13 points and six rebounds, while shooting 6-for-12 from the floor. Compared to how he usually plays in morning games, Duncan was great.

-Manu Ginobili personified controlled chaos against the Rockets. He came into the game looking to make things happen all over the court. The best part is he did so while also limiting his mistakes. In 27 minutes, Ginobili had 14 points, six rebounds, five assists, two blocks and no turnovers, while shooting 3-for-8 from the field and 7-for-8 from the line. I especially liked how he kept the Rockets on their heels and continuously tortured them on the pick-and-rolls. He didn’t get up many shots but it was another very good game for Ginobili.

-Tony Parker had a near flawless outing. He came out in attack mode and got the Spurs off on the right foot. Parker looked confident shooting his jumper, as he knocked down 8-of-11 outside shots. When Parker wasn’t sticking a jumper, he was pushing the tempo and creating shots for himself and others. He finished with 22 points, six rebounds, five assists and no turnovers, while shooting 10-for-15 shots from the floor. Defensively, he really got up on Rafer Alston and defended him well. When Parker plays like this, the Spurs are virtually impossible to beat.

-Bruce Bowen struggled a bit defensively coming out of the gates but really picked it up as the game went on. By the end of the game, McGrady was 5-for-22 from the field – mostly thanks to Bowen’s defense. Offensively, Bowen hit half of his six shots to finish with nine points, three rebounds, one assist, one steal and one blocked shot.

-Michael Finley continues to play like he made a deal with the devil. Out of nowhere, Finley all of a sudden can’t miss. Even his energy on defense is greatly improved from just a couple weeks ago. Finley finished with 22 points and six rebounds, while knocking down 9-of-13 attempts. He’s playing very well right now. My one critique is that Finley can’t decide to only defend and rebound when his shots are going in. When he’s struggling with his shot – and that will happen at some point again – he has to continue to bring energy and not mope around.

-I wasn’t too impressed with Fabricio Oberto’s first stint on the court, but he bounced back and played much better as the game went on. In 29 minutes, Oberto had eight points, five rebounds and five assists, while hitting all four of his field goal attempts. It was just an all-around impressive showing from Oberto. His interior passing was on full display as he played the most minutes he had logged in about five weeks.

-Kurt Thomas really played his role well. He banged bodies in the inside and was a defensive presence throughout the game. Thomas totaled ten points, seven rebounds, an assist and a steal, while shooting 4-for-9 from the floor. He still has some small kinks to work out in his acclimation to Spurs Basketball but overall he’s learning everything quickly.

-Jacque Vaughn’s great play seems to be running out of steam. He wasn’t as great last game and now had a sub par game against the Rockets. Hopefully he can find that balance he had for that five or six game stretch. Against Houston, Vaughn had four points and two rebounds on 2-for-8 shooting. Most of Vaughn’s problems came on the offensive end, as his defense was rather solid.

-Ime Udoka played another controlled game. When he doesn’t try to do too much, he’s a big asset for the Spurs. In 15 minutes, Udoka had five points, four rebounds and played good defense throughout. Like Bowen, he had a couple of difficult possessions against McGrady, but eventually Udoka figured it out.

-Damon Stoudamire and Matt Bonner both played limited minutes. It was good to see Stoudamire bounce back from his putrid game against the T’Wolves. He actually looked ready to play this time when Pop called his number. Bonner played in garbage time and didn’t do much. Robert Horry and Brent Barry remain sidelined with injuries.

-Pop has to be happy with how the Spurs are playing right now. The defense has been good recently. Against the Rockets, the defense was as consistent as it has been in a while. Offensively, the Spurs seem to be kicking it into gear. The Spurs have now shot 50% or better from the field in four straight games, including the 53% the Spurs shot against Houston.

Putting Finley back into the starting lineup and proclaiming the rotation set looks like a genius move now by Pop. Finley was horrible but that one coaching move seems to have saved his season. When Finley is hitting outside jumpers, the Big Three gets a lot more room to operate.

The bottomline is the Spurs finally got the dominating win we Spurs fans have been hoping for since the early parts of the season. The key now is to prove this one game wasn’t a fluke. The Golden State Warriors come to town on Tuesday and the Spurs need to extend this seven-game winning streak.

Believe.

Borosai
03-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Good game.

polandprzem
03-31-2008, 04:17 AM
Good intensity and concentration, that was a playoff game for the spurs.

I would have to rewatch it cause the stream was poor as hell.

ForeignFan
03-31-2008, 04:21 AM
great game indeed :smokin
let us hope they can keep the foot on the gas, the remaining schedule looks tough :(

EmanuelGinobili#20
03-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Very good score..
Finey-Parker awasome..

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-31-2008, 04:39 AM
Good stuff. It really was a nice game. I noticed other fans saying something akin to "These are the Spurs I'm afraid of seeing in the playoffs" :smokin
and I'm sure other NBA fans who watched this Sunday were a little worried about the Spurs threat as well. :lol

I can't wait for the Golden State game.

Admidave50
03-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Nice to see the Spurs in playoffs shape!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-31-2008, 06:32 AM
:tu to everything you said as I thought many of the same things.

I would point out here:

"Putting Finley back into the starting lineup and proclaiming the rotation set looks like a genius move now by Pop. Finley was horrible but that one coaching move seems to have saved his season. When Finley is hitting outside jumpers, the Big Three gets a lot more room to operate."

Pop made more than one move when he set the lineup - Oberto back to starting full-time, KT to mostly backing up TD, JV the primary backup.

Finally setting the rotation certainly has been beneficial to team chemistry, and it's a pity he didn't do it 5 games earlier (back when I started calling for it... ;) ).

WalterBenitez
03-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Nice recap, as usual ... Finally ARG's TV shown a game that Spurs won :D I am amazed with Finley, what the hell were he doing lately?

The demolition was cruel, those reds have nothing to do against Spurs.

Finally Spurs found its ballance for playoffs, only need to wait for Brent.

JPB
03-31-2008, 06:49 AM
It's good to see TP playing like that even if he still hasn't found his penetration's power back.
He looked like a real PG yesterday, creating and passing well.

Bowen, aka "the frustrator", had a monstruous game vs T-Mac who scored only 3 shots in the first half, all of three being dunks.

Finley was on fire in the first half and even scored on a drive !

Very impressive game by the spurs who shoot 53 % including some "ave maria" baskets that made you know they couldn't lose this game.

Playoffs are definitely approaching.

SAGambler
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Fin just has to keep it up during playoffs. He is for sure the X factor in how well the Spurs play. If he is hitting 16- 20 on 60 percent shooting, it certainly opens things up for the rest of the guys.

If he continues to roll, I can definitely see a repeat coming.

wildbill2u
03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Finley indeed looked rejuvenated. perhaps he's just been tired from all the games in March. I noticed He was elevating on his jump shots (sometimes a couple of feet).

Also, he shot with confidence and wasn't hesitating. He got the ball and went into his shot with some rhythm. That's when your body takes over with its learned reflexes.

ManuTastic
03-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Spurs rolling with major upswings by Parker and Finley, with Barry and HOrry in the wings. Manu's gotten refueled, Tim is healthy and ready to rock.
Meanwhile,
Houston and Dallas are stumbling. Too bad about Dirk's ankle, but it happens.
LA stumbling.
Utah stumbling.

Timing. Is. Everything.

Solid D
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Great recap, as ususal timvp.

I was amazed at the Spurs' shot-making. Parker and Finley just didn't miss. You seldom hear the term suffocating for how a team played offensively, but the Spurs suffocated the Rockets with their outside scoring. The Rockets were, obviously, committed to shutting down the interior against the Spurs and they actually outscored the Spurs in the paint (36-34). However, the Rockets did not show hard on screen/roll defense and their perimeter defense in general was lacking the effort they normally put forth.

The Spurs were also impressive closing out quarters, at least the first 3 that mattered. 1st quarter, Scola bailed out the Spurs by fouling with 10 seconds remaining and extending the trip for the Spurs but Thomas' turn-around baseline J as time expired was money! Jacque Vaughn's weaving, off-balance fade-away at the 2nd-quarter buzzer was a kick in the Rockets' ribs while they were bloody and laying on the ground waiting for the bell to sound. The 3rd quarter ended with Ginobili holding...holding...then drawing the 2 shot foul with 4 secs. remaining after the Rockets had held the Spurs scoreless for 3 minutes.

Tony Parker, injuries aside, is having his best year as a ball handler and distributor. The traditional stat we look at for PGs is Assist-to-Turnover ratio and Parker is at a career-best 2.44. He is scoring at a similar pace as his past 2 or 3 seasons but his passing and respect for each trip is better this season. I see this as a product of maturity with an added positive, stabilizing influence from Jacque Vaughn (+3 ratio again this season).

I still have a concern for when the Spurs play a team with a lot of size. There will be games when the shots aren't falling and playing as a unit at both ends will be key to their playoffs success.

MoSpur
03-31-2008, 09:13 AM
I know Houston is missing Yao, but that was a great win.

wildchild
03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
-Tony Parker had a near flawless outing. He came out in attack mode and got the Spurs off on the right foot. Parker looked confident shooting his jumper, as he knocked down 8-of-11 outside shots. When Parker wasn’t sticking a jumper, he was pushing the tempo and creating shots for himself and others. He finished with 22 points, six rebounds, five assists and no turnovers, while shooting 10-for-15 shots from the floor. Defensively, he really got up on Rafer Alston and defended him well. When Parker plays like this, the Spurs are virtually impossible to beat.

Sure as hell. :clap

-Michael Finley continues to play like he made a deal with the devil. Out of nowhere, Finley all of a sudden can’t miss. Even his energy on defense is greatly improved from just a couple weeks ago. Finley finished with 22 points and six rebounds, while knocking down 9-of-13 attempts. He’s playing very well right now. My one critique is that Finley can’t decide to only defend and rebound when his shots are going in. When he’s struggling with his shot – and that will happen at some point again – he has to continue to bring energy and not mope around.

Finley said he was glad to help the team. Well, I'm glad he's back from the dead :lol . To Fin :toast

-I wasn’t too impressed with Fabricio Oberto’s first stint on the court, but he bounced back and played much better as the game went on. In 29 minutes, Oberto had eight points, five rebounds and five assists, while hitting all four of his field goal attempts. It was just an all-around impressive showing from Oberto. His interior passing was on full display as he played the most minutes he had logged in about five weeks.

One of the most exciting things that has happened about this guy in the game, was see how he passing the ball. 5 assists.

Against the Rockets, the defense was as consistent as it has been in a while. Offensively, the Spurs seem to be kicking it into gear. The Spurs have now shot 50% or better from the field in four straight games, including the 53% the Spurs shot against Houston

It proved true this point, the Rick Adellman's forte is not defense. Without Battier the Rockets suck on D.

I would point out here:

"Putting Finley back into the starting lineup and proclaiming the rotation set looks like a genius move now by Pop. Finley was horrible but that one coaching move seems to have saved his season. When Finley is hitting outside jumpers, the Big Three gets a lot more room to operate."

Pop made more than one move when he set the lineup - Oberto back to starting full-time, KT to mostly backing up TD, JV the primary backup.

Finally setting the rotation certainly has been beneficial to team chemistry, and it's a pity he didn't do it 5 games earlier (back when I started calling for it... ).

Couldn't agree more.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-31-2008, 09:27 AM
While the quality of the opponent is debatable it is nice to see them play with no big let ups against a team they should be able to beat soundly. The fact that they opted to do this for a game that was so important in HCA implications gives me some hope that they still have an extra gear or two to step up from the less than dominant showings they've had in the last few weeks against lottery teams.

smeagol
03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
While the quality of the opponent is debatable it is nice to see them play with no big let ups against a team they should be able to beat soundly. The fact that they opted to do this for a game that was so important in HCA implications gives me some hope that they still have an extra gear or two to step up from the less than dominant showings they've had in the last few weeks against lottery teams.
Fully agree.

We should not get carried away. We beat a Yao-less team that played with Tracy in a lot of pain.

Nevertheless, the way the Spurs played is what is enc encouraging.

urunobili
03-31-2008, 09:34 AM
it is so evident that this season they have been coasting more than ever to have the right juice at the right time.. i am concerned about not being able to rest ANY games at all.. last season we sat the big three like for 3, 4 games... as Bruce's streak is over he should get some rest too...

colargol
03-31-2008, 09:40 AM
From France it's not easy to watch Spurs match...i had chance to catch that one and it was a very good win.
Spurs were great but i'm sure they can make it better .They were really focus they played smartly but they gonna be even better for the PO they are just turning the team to the right direction saving the best for the PO .....

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Props on the analysis...again. :tu

Finley really had his legs under him on his shots I noticed. He was set and stroking the ball well. When you're grooving your shot it's probably 70% in your lower body and I noticed Mike looked like his base was set and his motion was fluid. I hope he keeps it up.

Kurt Thomas played very well. I didn't notice a huge dropoff on the interior when Tim was out like we used to always see pre-Kurt. I know there are certain matchups that Kurt's lack of mobility will hurt us, but I think he's becoming a strong backup 5 in the Spurs system. I wonder what kind of minutes Horry will end up with if KT can get the job done. Hopefully Horry will get a chance to earn a few minutes back before the season is up. We'll need those daggers of his in the playoffs.

Spurs Brazil
03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Great recap, as ususal timvp.

I was amazed at the Spurs' shot-making. Parker and Finley just didn't miss. You seldom hear the term suffocating for how a team played offensively, but the Spurs suffocated the Rockets with their outside scoring. The Rockets were, obviously, committed to shutting down the interior against the Spurs and they actually outscored the Spurs in the paint (36-34). However, the Rockets did not show hard on screen/roll defense and their perimeter defense in general was lacking the effort they normally put forth.

The Spurs were also impressive closing out quarters, at least the first 3 that mattered. 1st quarter, Scola bailed out the Spurs by fouling with 10 seconds remaining and extending the trip for the Spurs but Thomas' turn-around baseline J as time expired was money! Jacque Vaughn's weaving, off-balance fade-away at the 2nd-quarter buzzer was a kick in the Rockets' ribs while they were bloody and laying on the ground waiting for the bell to sound. The 3rd quarter ended with Ginobili holding...holding...then drawing the 2 shot foul with 4 secs. remaining after the Rockets had held the Spurs scoreless for 3 minutes.

Tony Parker, injuries aside, is having his best year as a ball handler and distributor. The traditional stat we look at for PGs is Assist-to-Turnover ratio and Parker is at a career-best 2.44. He is scoring at a similar pace as his past 2 or 3 seasons but his passing and respect for each trip is better this season. I see this as a product of maturity with an added positive, stabilizing influence from Jacque Vaughn (+3 ratio again this season).

I still have a concern for when the Spurs play a team with a lot of size. There will be games when the shots aren't falling and playing as a unit at both ends will be key to their playoffs success.

Great thoughts Solid D