PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Spurs Finish 'Toughest' Month

duncan228
03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA033108.04D.BKNspurs.notebook.34fd87f.html

Notebook: Spurs finish 'toughest' month
Mike Monroe
Express-News

When the most difficult month of the Spurs season began, they were seven games into their longest win streak of the season and first in the Western Conference.

By the time their own version of March madness — 18 games in 30 days — ended with a victory over the Houston Rockets at the AT&T Center on Sunday, they had endured their longest losing streak since 2003, slipped to as low as sixth in the West and finally clawed their way back to the top of the Western standings.

Despite losing six of seven games in a 10-day, mid-month stretch, they won 12 of the 18 games, a 66.7 percent win percentage not far off their season-long figure.

"It was the toughest month we've ever had," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "and we survived. We lost a few more than we normally lose in March, but I think we got pretty good health and good energy and I think we got better in the month. That's the important part."

Some of the Spurs, in fact, believe they may look back on the month as the most valuable of the season.

"Even through the losses, through the adverse situations, I think we grew as a team," forward Michael Finley said. "Hopefully, down the line in the regular season and the playoffs, we'll look at situations in which we learned in March that can help us get a win."

Bruce Bowen's consecutive games played streak ended at 500 during March when he was suspended by the league for what it determined was a kick aimed at New Orleans' Chris Paul. Despite that personal setback, he said the tough schedule benefited the Spurs by reminding them to pay attention to detail.

"You understand you're not that far off the mark," he said. "Maybe it's paying more attention to detail. Maybe it's playing the full 48, instead of 40 minutes. In those situations, you just stick to what's important, and sometimes that's the little things."

He's safe!

Bowen seemed to enjoy Sunday's blowout victory more than most. He joked with the crowd, and even with referee Bennie Adams.

Knocked on his belly by Rockets forward Shane Battier midway through the fourth period, Bowen slid several feet across the court, breaking up fans seated nearby by giving a baseball "safe" sign.

"I enjoy doing stuff like that," he said. "Maybe they'll go back home and tell their friends, 'That was pretty funny when Bruce said he needed to get a timeout from the third-base coach.'"

Moments later, Battier knocked Bowen down again, this time as Bowen attempted a 3-point shot in the corner. No foul was called, and Bowen chided Adams, but with a laugh.

"Sometimes you have to joke with the refs a little," he said.

ancestron
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
wOOt!

Galileo
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
If the Spurs can survive this, they can survive the Western conference playoffs.

Cry Havoc
03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
"Knocked on his belly by Rockets forward Shane Battier midway through the fourth period, Bowen slid several feet across the court, breaking up fans seated nearby by giving a baseball "safe" sign."

That's one of the most annoying dangling modifiers I've ever seen in my life.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
"Knocked on his belly by Rockets forward Shane Battier midway through the fourth period, Bowen slid several feet across the court, breaking up fans seated nearby by giving a baseball "safe" sign."

That's one of the most annoying dangling modifiers I've ever seen in my life.

Preach it brutha!

Nothing pisses me off more than some moron leaving a bunch of modifiers dangling all over the place!

ancestron
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
keep your dangling modifier to yourself please

Cry Havoc
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
keep your dangling modifier to yourself please

Your mom is a dangling modifier.

Dave McNulla
03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
i checked. the spurs never played more than 16 games during the 1999 season. i'd have thought they'd done it then.