PDA

View Full Version : Arenas Would Take Pay Cut for Jamison

ducks
03-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Arenas Would Take Pay Cut for Jamison
By Ivan Carter
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 31, 2008; Page E14

LOS ANGELES, March 30 -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas said before Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Lakers that he's willing to sign for less money this summer if it will help the team retain all-star forward Antawn Jamison, who will be a free agent.

"I want to see Antawn taken care of first and then I'll take the pay cut to keep the team intact," said Arenas, who plans to opt out of the final season of his contract with the idea of signing a long-term deal with the Wizards.

How much less in Arenas willing to take?

"That depends on what Antawn wants," Arenas said with a chuckle. "We've been together six out of my seven years so we have an understanding. We know what's in jeopardy so, you know, I told him whatever he wants, give it to him and I'll take the pay cut. I know what he does. He's a part of my success and I'm a part of his success so we have this one-two combination that works in this league. We know we make each other better. Someone has to sacrifice. This might be one of his last contracts so I'll sacrifice and hopefully I'll get another at the end of the day and if I don't, I know I did the right thing."

Arenas could make $12.8 million next season if he didn't opt out. Jamison is making $16.36 million this season and is interested in signing a new contract that would pay him around $10 million in the first year, according to a league source.

Arenas, who has missed 65 games with a left knee injury, plans to play this season once he is medically cleared.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...033002268.html

Dex
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Francis/Mobley pt. 2?

MrChug
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
GILBERT ARENAS IS THINKING ABOUT SOMEONE OTHER THAN HIMSELF?!?!?!?!?!? :dizzy

:wtf?!?!?!?

In other news: People have started to like Hillary Clinton

m33p0
04-01-2008, 03:51 AM
he has no choice. antawn and caron have shown they can lead the team without sir gilbert. if he doesn't take a cut, then the team will trade him for someone else, maybe 2.

hater
04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Arenas is a prima dona.

Duncan took a pay cut and never spoke to the media about it even after the fact.

Arenas is speaking even before taking any paycut.

Wiz should be smart and trade arenas for O'neal

MoSpur
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I would like Jamison to be a Spur next season, but after reading he might want around $10mil the first season, uh...I'd rather not.

remingtonbo2001
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I was hoping Jamison would come out and say I'm willing to take a paycut to play for a championship team.

NASpurs
04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh I see what's up. It's April Fools. Should have known better when I read the title.

Holmes_Fans
04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I was hoping Jamison would come out and say I'm willing to take a paycut to play for a championship team.
Arenas implied he would also be willing to take a lower salary to play for a contending team.
"Going to a team like the Lakers, Dallas, any championship team, I'd have to take a pay cut to go there," Arenas said. "The pay cut is, if I leave I have to take a pay cut, if Antawn comes back, I'd have to take a pay cut."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=arenas-080331

m33p0
04-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Arenas implied he would also be willing to take a lower salary to play for a contending team.
"Going to a team like the Lakers, Dallas, any championship team, I'd have to take a pay cut to go there," Arenas said. "The pay cut is, if I leave I have to take a pay cut, if Antawn comes back, I'd have to take a pay cut."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=arenas-080331
has he also considered the possibility of playing for fewer minutes because any contender would definitely already have its key players?

as for antawn asking for at least $10m, well, he does deserve that kind of money.

gmanrulz
04-02-2008, 03:00 AM
what success?

ElNono
04-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Arenas is full of it. That bitch will go wherever the biggest pile of money is available.
He doesn't care about his team or teammates, he is all about me, me, me.

Kobulingam
04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Rich man giving charity to another Rich man (and a Rich organization).

Nasir_Jones
04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Damn... I guess being away from playing for a while and just running his mouth has people thinking he's a "bitch" and what-not. When he gets 100% then people will re-learn what made him a serious MVP contender last year.

jacobdrj
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Agent Zero would take a Shot for him too... not a Bullet...

So. Much. Innuendo.

ElNono
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Damn... I guess being away from playing for a while and just running his mouth has people thinking he's a "bitch" and what-not. When he gets 100% then people will re-learn what made him a serious MVP contender last year.

I don't care if he scores 90382473458963454 points. *THAT* is the point. He plays for himself and nobody else. It's all me me me me me me me me.

nickdakoolkat
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Fuck Judas Arenas...all of a sudden he's willing to take less money to keep something good together...on second though Im glad he's gone from the Dubz cuz if he hadn't left we never would have gotten BD.

nickdakoolkat
04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
oh yeah....he'll never be fully healthy or win a championship, cuz one you betray the Warriors your fucked....look at CWebb never won shit!

ShoogarBear
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
he has no choice. antawn and caron have shown they can lead the team without sir gilbert. if he doesn't take a cut, then the team will trade him for someone else, maybe 2.Uh, no, because Arenas is a free agent after this season.

Although his injuries the past two years have probably pretty much quashed any chance he has of getting a max deal.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I hope Arenas was paying attention to what the Wiz were doing with ball movement and occasional defense while he was gone. If he did, and he buys into it, there's no reason why the Wiz can't be in the fight for the #3/4 season for the next few years.

If he's convinced that the way to play is the way he always has been, the Wiz should think about a sign and trade.