PDA

View Full Version : HELP! there's a tick on my dogs...

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Yep. Right beside his wood. And he will NOT let me mess with it. He just keeps licking it which only helps the tick I am sure of.

This one is a chihuahua, short haired full blood tan. So if you know these kind of dogs he's at least twice the size of a toy dog. A big chihuahua for sure.

So I tried my best holding him down, he's a squirmy biting little dork. Today is the third day it's been on him and it's just having a field day beside his pecker. I figured it would have got it's fill and let go, but nope.

So now I have to figure out what to do. Nobody can hold him still cause he freaks out biting and screaming.

I know these things breath through their ass but what can I smother it with to draw it out? Any ideas on what to do would be ggrrreaaat cause I'm lost.

ps- He is acting sick too. He goes to his caged bed on his own, which never happens. And has been just laying around acting sad. Either the tick has made him ill or he is just distressed. Thoughts?

katyon6th
04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Are you kidding me? It's a fucking chihuahua. Hold him down and take the tick off his pecker. Be sure not to squeez the tick, though, you don't want the tick's head getting embedded into your dog's skin.

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2257_remove-ticks-pets.html

Things You’ll Need:
Antiseptic
Flea And Tick Dog Shampoo
Hand Soaps
Eyebrow Tweezers
Dog Medication
Cotton Swabs
Dog Flea Combs
Lighter Or Matches
Dog Flea/tick Control Medication
Latex Gloves
Dog Brushes
Step 1:
Check your pet for ticks daily if he spends a lot of time outdoors, especially if you live in an area known for ticks.

Step 2:
Put on latex gloves to avoid direct contact with the tick and contaminated skin, as diseases can be transmitted from tick to pet to human.

Step 3:
Feel your pet all over, especially around the neck, head and ears. If you encounter a lump like a small pea, move the fur on your pet to see if you have found a tick.

Step 4:
Look to see if a tick is protruding from the skin. Ticks are tiny black, brown, reddish or tan disklike arachnids (having eight legs), about the size of the head of a pin. If they have attached themselves to their host (your pet), then they can swell up to the size of a grape in some cases.

Step 5:
Put your pet in a comfortable position. Ask a friend or family member for help in distracting your pet.

Step 6:
Grasp the tick with tweezers as close to your pet's skin as possible; make sure not to pinch your pet's skin.

Step 7:
Pull the tick out using a straight, steady pulling motion. Be gentle; pulling too hard on the tick can cause its head to remain lodged in your pet's skin, which can lead to inflammation and secondary infection.

Step 8:
Dispose of the tick by throwing it into a fire, or by squishing it in a tissue using the tweezers and then flushing it down the toilet. Do not smash it with your foot or your bare hands.

Step 9:
Apply antiseptic ointment to the bite.

Step 10:
Remove and wash the gloves, and wash your hands thoroughly.

Step 11:
Clean the tweezers with hot water or isopropyl alcohol or by holding them over a flame.

Step 12: If head of tick appears stuck in dog, throw dog in the fire and buy a new one.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Are you kidding me? It's a fucking chihuahua. Hold him down and take the tick off his pecker. Be sure not to squeez the tick, though, you don't want the tick's head getting embedded into your dog's skin.
LMAO obviously you've never tried pulling a tick off a pissed of fanged chihuahua. I thought it easy too but... no.

leemajors
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
get your dog on revolution. ticks and fleas die when they bite them then.

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Please pay close attention to step #12 this is an important one.

Brutalis
http://www.ehow.com/how_2257_remove-ticks-pets.html

Things You’ll Need:
Antiseptic
Flea And Tick Dog Shampoo
Hand Soaps
Eyebrow Tweezers
Dog Medication
Cotton Swabs
Dog Flea Combs
Lighter Or Matches
Dog Flea/tick Control Medication
Latex Gloves
Dog Brushes
Step 1:
Check your pet for ticks daily if he spends a lot of time outdoors, especially if you live in an area known for ticks.

Step 2:
Put on latex gloves to avoid direct contact with the tick and contaminated skin, as diseases can be transmitted from tick to pet to human.

Step 3:
Feel your pet all over, especially around the neck, head and ears. If you encounter a lump like a small pea, move the fur on your pet to see if you have found a tick.

Step 4:
Look to see if a tick is protruding from the skin. Ticks are tiny black, brown, reddish or tan disklike arachnids (having eight legs), about the size of the head of a pin. If they have attached themselves to their host (your pet), then they can swell up to the size of a grape in some cases.

Step 5:
Put your pet in a comfortable position. Ask a friend or family member for help in distracting your pet.

Step 6:
Grasp the tick with tweezers as close to your pet's skin as possible; make sure not to pinch your pet's skin.

Step 7:
Pull the tick out using a straight, steady pulling motion. Be gentle; pulling too hard on the tick can cause its head to remain lodged in your pet's skin, which can lead to inflammation and secondary infection.

Step 8:
Dispose of the tick by throwing it into a fire, or by squishing it in a tissue using the tweezers and then flushing it down the toilet. Do not smash it with your foot or your bare hands.

Step 9:
Apply antiseptic ointment to the bite.

Step 10:
Remove and wash the gloves, and wash your hands thoroughly.

Step 11:
Clean the tweezers with hot water or isopropyl alcohol or by holding them over a flame.

Step 12: If head of tick appears stuck in dog, throw dog in the fire and buy a new one.

#12 isn't funny at all at this point. And all of this is what I know already. If you had read, I am trying to find a substance not harmful to the dog that will help draw the tick out for there isn't anything to grab with tweezers yet.

sa_butta
First off how old is the dog?? Secondly you should be able to drown him out with some flea shampoo.

katyon6th
LMAO obviously you've never tried pulling a tick off a pissed of fanged chihuahua. I thought it easy too but... no.

You're right, I haven't.

Muzzle your dog and then try it.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:18 AM
get your dog on revolution. ticks and fleas die when they bite them then.
Already on that. Was going to try this product called Advantix? I forget the name, they run commercials a lot you might know of it.

leemajors
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
rubbing alcohol may work. also, a match held next to them usually does the trick too, but with your fidgety dog that probably won't do either.

Pistons_In_7
Try this ther is also a video to show how to do this on this page
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/

So how do you do it?
Rub the tick in a circular motion and pretend you're trying to make the tick dizzy. I generally stick with one direction, clockwise. It usually takes less than a minute, so if it's not working, make sure the body of the tick is moving around. Remember you can't get dizzy unless you're actually moving in a circle, quickly. I doubt the tick actually gets dizzy, but they sure don't like something about the movement and they crawl out on their own.

This was too difficult to document with photos, so here's the video

katyon6th
ps- He is acting sick too. He goes to his caged bed on his own, which never happens. And has been just laying around acting sad. Either the tick has made him ill or he is just distressed. Thoughts?

Ticks carry lyme disease.

Brutalis
First off how old is the dog?? Secondly you should be able to drown him out with some flea shampoo.
He's 4. And I tried that, it didn't work to my amazement. If anything would I thought that for sure.

leemajors
Already on that. Was going to try this product called Advantix? I forget the name, they run commercials a lot you might know of it.
revolution always works for my dog, but you have to apply it directly to the skin or it's useless.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Ticks carry lyme disease.
:( .. I hope it's not fatal..

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
watch the video in the link i posted you can thank me later.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
rubbing alcohol may work. also, a match held next to them usually does the trick too, but with your fidgety dog that probably won't do either.
He's licked his skin raw, so rub alc is out the window. And yeah the first thing I tried was a lighter, and he freaked at the sight of the flame closing on his nads haha.

Evan
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
flea and tick shampoo. The best you can get.

and an old girlfriend of mine had a chihuahua...those sumbitches are tougher to handle than you would think. Almost impossible to hold them steady to pluck out a tick.

katyon6th
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
My dogs just got on Frontline. http://frontline.us.merial.com/home/

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Try this ther is also a video to show how to do this on this page
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/

So how do you do it?
Rub the tick in a circular motion and pretend you're trying to make the tick dizzy. I generally stick with one direction, clockwise. It usually takes less than a minute, so if it's not working, make sure the body of the tick is moving around. Remember you can't get dizzy unless you're actually moving in a circle, quickly. I doubt the tick actually gets dizzy, but they sure don't like something about the movement and they crawl out on their own.

This was too difficult to document with photos, so here's the video
1. I think there's a different kind of tick on my dog. Looks nothing like that.

2. It's deep into his skin. Rubbing won't do crap at this point.

3. Thanks anyways!

Pistons_In_7
im not kidding did you even watch the video i posted? here is another secret, dont use a flame, light a match, put it out hten quickly put the match on the tick i guarantee the tick will jump out of there with minimal harm to your dog, i would try the match trick after you try the trick shown in the video in the link i posted above.

Evan
ok you said flea and tick shampoo didn't work.

Consider a match...light it...blow it own and then fry the bastard?

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
too late Evan, i just posted that.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
flea and tick shampoo. The best you can get.

and an old girlfriend of mine had a chihuahua...those sumbitches are tougher to handle than you would think. Almost impossible to hold them steady to pluck out a tick.
GOD I know. I went at it at first like no biggie then BLAM dude bites me on the hand and kicks and freaks out.

I am thinking about taping his mouth shut and trying the shampoo again.

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
do the match trick,.

katyon6th
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last resort, take him to the vet. It may cost you an arm but it'll be so worth it to your dog.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
The tick is so embedded in his skin I don't think the end of the match would burn just the tick... but .. I don't really care at this point. It needs to come out sometime here reaaal soon.

Now I am all concerned with the lime disease is it called? Lol, I hope that's not fatal.

Evan
I am thinking about taping his mouth shut and trying the shampoo again.

No! He will choke himself.

Evan
The tick is so embedded in his skin I don't think the end of the match would burn just the tick... but .. I don't really care at this point. It needs to come out sometime here reaaal soon.

Now I am all concerned with the lime disease is it called? Lol, I hope that's not fatal.

Dude...go to a vet

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
here is another vid with tons of ideas.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/3170_fleas-ticks-tick-removal-products.htm

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
try the match trick or you can also try an icecube.

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
also you can use a flea comb.

mrsmaalox
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Swaddle him up tightly in a towel, stick a sock on his head. That's how my Dad restrains his Chihs for nail clipping.

leemajors
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
He's licked his skin raw, so rub alc is out the window. And yeah the first thing I tried was a lighter, and he freaked at the sight of the flame closing on his nads haha.
well a match usually works better because of the sulphur.

leemajors
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
are you sure this isn't a chigger? or did he bite the body off of the tick.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Fuck it I am about to take him to the vet and let them deal with it. Then go ahead and buy some Front Line or whatever to keep this from happening again.

Thanks for the help I'll reply again with what happens.

(gd tick beside a pecker man i guess it coulda been worse)

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
are you sure this isn't a chigger? or did he bite the body off of the tick.
I JUST thought of that. He did. The tick is half cut off.....

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:36 AM
is there any swelling or inflamation around where the ticks head is?

katyon6th
04-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Fuck it I am about to take him to the vet and let them deal with it. Then go ahead and buy some Front Line or whatever to keep this from happening again.

Thanks for the help I'll reply again with what happens.

(gd tick beside a pecker man i guess it coulda been worse)

All my advice. You're welcome.

E20
04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Try to shoot the tick with the gun, but avoid hitting the dog.

Pistons_In_7
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
go back and read step 12

leemajors
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
frontline isn't terribly effective. you'll need a separate heartworm medicine as well.

katyon6th
04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
frontline isn't terribly effective. you'll need a separate heartworm medicine as well.

Hm. What's heartworms have to do with his dog being treated for a tick?

CosmicCowboy
04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.macgill.com/PhotoLibrary.aspx?pid=1323.jpg&w=200&sub=photos&const=true

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:jtQcu7f_XWp5-M:http://www.subtraction.com/pics/0305/030506_elizabethan_collar.jpg

E20
04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/09/the_tick.jpg
I hated this show.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
There's a pill (I forget the name of it at the moment) that vets can give your dog which will kill any fleas/ticks within an hour or so.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/09/the_tick.jpg
I hated this show.
:wtf In four words you have managed to sound like the craziest crazy that ever crazied. That show kicked so much ass. I think you resented the Tick for the fact that he could probably take Stallone.

SPOOOOOOONNNNN!

E20
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
It's not that the show was bad, but it made fun of every comic book hero I looked up to. LOL

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-01-2008, 10:13 AM
It's not that the show was bad, but it made fun of every comic book hero I looked up to. LOL
Fair enough. I'm a big Batman fan and I wanted to kick Deiflater Maus' ass everytime I saw him. (To make matters worse, Cam Clarke, voice of Maus in the Tick, used the same damn voice for Daredevil in the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance video game. It bugged the crap out of me.)

Bigshot was hilarious though.

"Guns and superheroes just don't mix. Seek help."

"MOMMY! WHY COULDN'T YOU LOVE ME?!?!"

CosmicCowboy
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Seriously, just put one of these on him...thats what the vet will do...then you can doctor the area with Campho phenique or neosporin and he can't lick/chew the area...

http://www.subtraction.com/pics/0305/030506_elizabethan_collar.jpg

leemajors
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Hm. What's heartworms have to do with his dog being treated for a tick?
you can get revolution, apply it properly, and be protected against fleas, ticks, and heartworms instead of spending money on both frontline and heartworm medicine.

leemajors
04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Seriously, just put one of these on him...thats what the vet will do...then you can doctor the area with Campho phenique or neosporin and he can't lick/chew the area...
when my dog got neutered a few years ago they gave him a neck brace thing instead of a cone. i was kinda disappointed.

katyon6th
04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
you can get revolution, apply it properly, and be protected against fleas, ticks, and heartworms instead of spending money on both frontline and heartworm medicine.

Oh, okay. I've never heard of revolution.

Brutalis
04-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Got an appointment for tomorrow at 10.

Shelly
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
From what I've heard, you should NEVER use store bought flea and heartworm medication for dogs. I've read about a few dogs that have died from using it because the dosage may be to strong for them.

I used to use Revolution, but my vet switched my dog to Sentinel. I guess they were having dogs getting heartworm while on Revolution. They weren't sure if it was from the medicine or from people not applying it properly. YMMV

It's $$$ but worth it not to have my dog get any fleas along with heartworm, etc.