PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Warriors Apr. 1

timvp
04-02-2008, 02:43 AM
With their second straight dominating performance against a Western Conference playoff contender, the Spurs seem to be gearing up for the playoffs quite nicely. The Golden State Warriors saw firsthand how geared up the Spurs currently are as they fell 116-92 Tuesday night in the AT&T Center.

Offensively, the Spurs shot better than 50% for the fifth consecutive game. San Antonio finished at 55.1% – the highest percentage of the five-game stretch. The turnaround in their offense has been sparked by attacking the basket and better ball movement. Hitting open jumpers also hasn't hurt.

Defensively, however, is where the Spurs are really shining. The Warriors shot only 37.5% from the floor and were held under 100 points for the first time since Jan. 9 – a span of 37 games. Virtually everyone on the team has picked up their perimeter defense and the bigmen are doing a better job of protecting the rim. Slowly but surely, the championship level defense is returning.

The Warriors made a few runs throughout the game but the Spurs kept up their defensive pressure and eventually the Warriors cracked. Even though the Warriors lost this game, they remain a dangerous team in the playoffs. With a gaggle of fearless shooters who seemingly can all penetrate and kick, it’s tough for anyone to stop them if they get hot from the perimeter. Golden State won’t beat you with defense but in a seven-game series, their explosive offense would give any team headaches.

Overall, it was another very good win for the Spurs. Their winning streak stands at eight games and they seem to be peaking at the right time of year. With their offense finding its rhythm and the defense coming back to life, Spurs fans have to be encouraged by what they see at the moment.

-Tim Duncan alone is the reason why the Warriors should desperately try to avoid the Spurs in the playoffs. Duncan puts a damper on what the Warriors want to do both offensively and defensively. He can use his size and patience offensively to score for himself or create open shots for others. On defense, Duncan clogs the middle and can close off the paint. In 28 minutes on Tuesday, Duncan finished with 17 points, 12 rebounds, three blocks and one turnover, while shooting 8-for-12 from the floor. Duncan played very well overall, especially in the first half when he set the tone for the game.

-Manu Ginobili had his ups and downs against the Warriors. Overall, it was more good than bad for Ginobili. He scored 16 points, pulled down seven rebounds, dished two assists and swiped two steals, while hitting half of his 14 shots from the floor. However, Ginobili turned the ball over six times and wasn’t valuing possessions as much as he should against a run-and-gun team that feasts on mistakes. Defensively, Ginobili had by far his best defensive game against the Warriors this season. Pop deserves some of the credit for keeping Ginobili off of shooters like Stephen Jackson, which gave Ginobili the freedom to roam and cause havoc. A few less sloppy plays and Ginobili would have had yet another great game.

-Tony Parker played exactly how the Spurs need him to play. The Warriors weren’t sending much help to the defenders trying to guard him, so Parker took it upon himself to stay ultra aggressive all game long. When he’s in attack mode for 48 minutes, the Spurs become a much better team. On the night, Parker had 26 points, seven assists and four rebounds, while shooting 12-for-19 from the floor. Eventually the Warriors were forced to send help and then that’s when the three-point barrage ensued. Defensively, Parker was impressive against whoever he was guarding – usually Baron Davis and Monta Ellis. These last two games, Parker has played very, very well.

-I didn’t think Bruce Bowen played up to the level that he can defensively but the results point to him having a good game on that end of the court. Jackson and Ellis shot a combined 7-for-28, with Bowen being responsible for a good portion of those misses. A few instances here and there I thought Bowen took shortcuts defensively but overall he was solid. He also helped finish off Warrior possessions by pulling down seven defensive rebounds. Offensively, Bowen hit 4-of-9 shots from the floor on his way to 12 points and two assists.

-Michael Finley wasn’t quite as blazing as he’s been in recent game, but I’ll gladly accept his 13 points, five assists and three rebounds in a team-high 35 minutes. He shot 4-for-10 from the field, including 3-for-8 from three-point land. I liked how he created for himself of the dribble a couple times to get his game going early on. Finley also had a few nice passes – which usually aren't in his repertoire. Defensively, this might have been his best game since early February. Chalk this up as another quality outing for Finley.

-Fabricio Oberto had a really good showing against the small ball Warriors. After starting the game next to Duncan, he took turns with Duncan manning the middle in the remaining three quarters. In 19 minutes, Oberto had eight points, ten rebounds, three assists and two steals, while hitting 4-of-6 shots from the field. Defensively, Oberto was excellent against a team that is difficult for bigmen to play against.

-Ime Udoka played 30 minutes and played well. Udoka played hardnosed defense and gave the Spurs a physical presence – which was especially important because the Spurs were forced to play a majority of the game with a small ball lineup on the court. When Udoka throws his body around, the small ball lineup suddenly doesn’t seem to be as small. Udoka finished with nine points, five rebounds, two steals, one assist and one blocked shot, while going 4-for-7 from the floor. He also led the team in plus/minus with a +29.

-Jacque Vaughn rebounded from a sub par outing against the Rockets with a valuable performance against the Warriors. His stats don’t look like much (three points and two assists in 15 minutes), but Vaughn kept up the defensive pressure and got the ball moving offensively.

-Kurt Thomas, Matt Bonner, Damon Stoudamire and Bobby Jones played in garbage time for the Spurs. Thomas’ bruising play wasn’t a good fit against the Warriors and Oberto was playing well, so Pop opted to keep him on the bench. Bonner and Stoudamire both played pretty well in garbage time. Jones, who was signed earlier in the day to a 10-day contract, looked comfortable and even had a good defensively play and a good assist. Granted, the game was over but he seems like a fit as the team’s sixth swingman. At least until the front office decides to find yet another passenger for this season's end of the bench merry-go-round.

-Pop coached a good game. He obviously wanted the win, as he used an eight-man rotation for perhaps the first time all season. While that was mostly due to trying to matchup against the Warriors, Pop wasn’t messing around this game.

Earlier in the season, the Spurs dropped both of their games in Oakland against the Warriors and I thought Pop’s defensive schemes played a part in each loss. This game, he didn’t try anything too exotic. He kept Parker on Davis for much of the game, which allowed Bowen to lock up wing players. Pop also avoided putting Ginobili on Jackson, which had hurt the Spurs previously.

The entire season Pop has prepped the Spurs for small ball, and that could come in handy once the playoffs hit. On the whole, the Spurs have had a lot of success this season when playing small ball. The biggest improvement has been their ability to rebound when playing small ball, which was apparent tonight as they outrebounded the Warriors 54-37. When the Spurs can rebound in small ball – and Duncan can avoid fouls – the alignment almost always works in the Spurs’ favor.

The bottomline is the Spurs won again, and again it was in dominating fashion against a good team. After a much deserved two day break in the schedule, the Spurs will fly to Utah to take on the Jazz on Friday. A win would make it nine straight and would keep this freight train headed in the right direction.

Remember the elbow.

Believe.

whottt
04-02-2008, 02:50 AM
The entire season Pop has prepped the Spurs for small ball, and that could come in handy once the playoffs hit.

Come in handy against who? Boston? LA? Phoenix?

SKINNYPIMP210
04-02-2008, 02:56 AM
WOW! The game against Utah is going to be a big one. It's of coarse a big win if we pull it out. Damn that is going to be playoff atmosphere type of game.

I'm soooo pissed I'll be working during that game but I will record it!

Go Spurs!

timvp
04-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Come in handy against who? Boston? LA? Phoenix?Golden State. Dallas. New Orleans. Lakers when they put Odom at PF. Suns when they put Amare at C. Celtics when they put KG at C. Houston when they put Scola at C. Basically, when any team goes small (like almost every team tends to do at some point), the Spurs can counter with a solid small ball lineup.

Plus, Pop uses small ball to get back into games if the Spurs get down early, which will happen at least a couple times per series. I'm not a small ball fan but at least the Spurs are a lot better at it than they were two years ago.

Mark in Austin
04-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Remember the elbow.

:devil I do. Every time the Spurs play the Jazz. And it makes the fact that the Spurs have absolutely owned them in the Duncan Era that much sweeter.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-02-2008, 03:19 AM
Great lowdown as always, LJ. :tu

They really have timed their run well this year. In the past they've started earlier in March, but this year it's late (probably due to the injuries upsetting everything, and Pop working out what to do with the late newcomers), and that may just be a good thing considering the ultra-tough West. I think they're going to peak jst as we hit the playoffs, and we might just need that to get through the first round depending on the matchup.

As for smallball, I agree that the team is much better at it now and that will be very useful with so many teams capable of going small. I think we're a strong team in either configuration now and that's a good thing.

Is it just me or do the Warriors understand Manu's passing better than any other team? In the three games this year he's had 5, 5 and 6 TOs, and they just seem to read his tendencies very well.

Was especially impressed by Oberto today, and lately. Most games since he got his starting job back he's been bringing tough D, hustle and smarts. Definitely a guy who needs to start to excel, and his playoff game will show up again this year I'm sure.

spurscenter
04-02-2008, 04:45 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/472448bc-945a-4111-9781-a8f9d5e8fe96.jpg

What up with ref eyes

Solid D
04-02-2008, 05:38 AM
I wasn't very impressed with the Spurs D for the first 34 minutes. The score was 75-73 Spurs with 2 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Oberto knelt down on Baron's knee going for a loose ball and Baron reacted with a push and drawing a tech foul. Baron wasn't much use to the Warriors after that and the Spurs went on a 3 point barrage by Bowen, Udoka and even Jacque (19-0 run). The Warriors folded like a card table after that.

I would add that Parker only defended Baron the first 6 minutes of the 1st quarter. After that, Pop switched to defending Davis with Bowen and Udoka. Gino defended Azubuike. Udoka and Fin defended Jack most of the time while Parker defended Monta Ellis or CJ Watson. I thought Udoka did the best job of contesting the perimeter shots.

The Warriors may be the biggest donut in the NBA. Biedrens, Barnes, Harrington, and Croshere all tried to defend Timmy in the post and none of those guys could stop him. Troy Murphy would have come in handy for Nellie Tuesday night.

Parker has his legs back and it shows. The Monta Ellis elbow to the chin seemed to stimulate TP to up his aggressiveness 2 or 3 notches.

WalterBenitez
04-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Defense is coming right on time! great game by TP, he's also finding his game.

Mike going to trash time again?

Nothing to be worried, thanks TIMVP for the recap.

Gummi
04-02-2008, 05:46 AM
All I can say is, "I want to play the Warriors in the first round". That team can't defend anything. The poorest defensive team I've ever seen. How could the Mavs dropp four games against them?

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-02-2008, 05:54 AM
The Nuggets fanbase thanks you for a big win :smokin

Manu-of-steel
04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
the success of small-ball may be due to a better team-rebounding and also may be due to the arrival of udoka. even at 6ft 5, has a great knack for the ball and has the strength to bang bodies with the opponents. great acquisition by the spurs. thanx timvp for the great recap.

polandprzem
04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
They really have timed their run well this year. In the past they've started earlier in March, but this year it's late (probably due to the injuries upsetting everything, and Pop working out what to do with the late newcomers), and that may just be a good thing considering the ultra-tough West. I think they're going to peak jst as we hit the playoffs, and we might just need that to get through the first round depending on the matchup.

IMO Pop knows how old the spurs are and wanted to prepare players for only two and half last months of a year.
The early injuries was well in timing. I was, well maybe not happy but I knew that the time spend off the court will help to catch fire rather later then too soon.
TP was off and damn he will be probably in his best shape come playoff time. Manu had ups and downs, but good thing is to limit his minutes to minimum Pop did it in the middle of MArch I think.

So I hope the spurs will be even better when playoffs will come, and I hope every next round will be better.

I said that Barry's return will increase Finleys confidence - polandprzemodamus

You must love Pop for that. Fans are jumping of the clif all season long. Pop doing his experiments, exotic defensive schems like LJ said, but it is what the spurs players were saying all season long, and we know it- regular season is a preperation for the PO. Gregg Popovich tries what is working what is not. But when the smell of the playoffs hits noses, he sticks with his and best coaching decisions are made :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit

whottt
04-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm not a small ball fan but at least the Spurs are a lot better at it than they were two years ago.

It's also not as important as it was two years ago...except for the fact that if Pop falls in love with it, we won't be repeating.

I get your point, but basically small ball was Spurs Kryptonite except for the Suns version of it...and they don't really play it anymore.

I worry about bigball now...the Suns version of it.

PS: without a doubt Po's love of smallball cost us the last game against the Celtics(and IIRC the first one as well). I sincerely hope Pop isn't going to attempt it against the Celts...that experiement is a failure...about as much as it was against the Mavs.

Small ball down the stretch = Spurs opponents outrebounding us down the stretch. It's a horrible system of closing out games.

WalterBenitez
04-02-2008, 07:08 AM

Are you worried baby? :eyebrows

polandprzem
04-02-2008, 07:12 AM
btw. As I was saying few weeks ago when spurs were in a "slump".
The whole "run for the west playoffs spot" did not affect Pop making diferent decisions he wanted to make.
Maybe the spurs needed to play better but he waited. Good, other teams lost some breath. (Mavs,GS, Hou)

SAGambler
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM

Thought the Nugs did themselves proud last night too. Nene did a good job on Shaq.

Only problem I see with the Nugs, is Melo seems to not be able to handle crunch time very well. He could have put that game away long before Camby finally did.

1Parker1
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Small Ball works better now in large part due to Udoka. It's refreshing to actually see someone other than a Spurs bigman, continuously box out and know how to grab a rebound.

DarrinS
04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
The Warriors put on a clinic last night on how NOT to play defense.

Any team that plays good D and has a good low-post presence can easily beat the Warriors. That is a really pschyzophrenic (sp?) bunch.

T Park
04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
It's also not as important as it was two years ago...except for the fact that if Pop falls in love with it, we won't be repeating.

I get your point, but basically small ball was Spurs Kryptonite except for the Suns version of it...and they don't really play it anymore.

PS: without a doubt Po's love of smallball cost us the last game against the Celtics(and IIRC the first one as well). I sincerely hope Pop isn't going to attempt it against the Celts...that experiement is a failure...about as much as it was against the Mavs.

Small ball down the stretch = Spurs opponents outrebounding us down the stretch. It's a horrible system of closing out games.

If FInley had shot against the Celtics, like he has the past week, the Spurs win that celtics game and your applauding Pop's move.

Thats the difference.

T Park
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
BTW,

Dirk Nowitzki.

Take note to how Duncan played the Warriors offensively.

Had you done that, you make it out of the first round easily....

mexicanjunior
04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Great recap, I really enjoy reading them. After watching last night's game, I really feel the Warriors are the most favorable playoff matchup against the Spurs. As long as Duncan is healthy, he could average 40 against those defenders if he wanted to. They simply are too small and the Warriors just do not play good enough team defense to bother the Spurs offense...

whottt
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
If FInley had shot against the Celtics, like he has the past week, the Spurs win that celtics game and your applauding Pop's move.

Thats the difference.

The Celtics are the best defensive team in the NBA and are attempting to become the first team in NBA history to lead the league in Opp PPG, Opp FG% and Opp 3FG%, IOW, arguably the most dominant defensive team in NBA history...and for the record, they lead in all 3 as we speak. Add to that the fact that Finley choked fucking ass in the finals last year...and you have to be an idiot to count on Finley(and his sub 40% FG%) shooting well. So you better get some freaking rebounds.

Sin,

The obvious

nkdlunch
04-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Golden State has no chance in hell vs. Duncan. I hope we play them in 1st round

polandprzem
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
2 important things in spurs system - rebounding and shooting

What is more important?
It depends.

Now kill yourself proving point

honestfool84
04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
is it just me, or have i seen less comments from houston/dallas/phoenix fans lately, since they kinda don't have anything to jibber about?

i actually love it :D

MoSpur
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I am very impressed in how Tony played last night. He was very aggressive and drawing fouls left and right. Too bad he can't make his free throws. Udoka was a beast on defense. Oberto also had a good game. The Spurs defense was solid for most of the game and overall. They let the Warriors get back into the game, but give the Warriors credit for that as well.

They were busting shots from the outside. I cannot stand Baron Davis. The guy overreacts to everything. I'm glad Parker took it to him. I wish Oberto would have pushed Davis off of him.

Manudona
04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
-Manu Ginobili had his ups and downs against the Warriors. Overall, it was more good than bad for Ginobili. He scored 16 points, pulled down seven rebounds, dished two assists and swiped two steals, while hitting half of his 14 shots from the floor. However, Ginobili turned the ball over six times and wasn’t valuing possessions as much as he should against a run-and-gun team that feasts on mistakes. Defensively, Ginobili had by far his best defensive game against the Warriors this season. Pop deserves some of the credit for keeping Ginobili off of shooters like Stephen Jackson, which gave Ginobili the freedom to roam and cause havoc. A few less sloppy plays and Ginobili would have had yet another great game.
Believe.

Actually it was only one steal, but two blocks. At least according to Yahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AiqfydlNfu4ic7pTfGJBUS.8vLYF?gid=200 8040124)

wildbill2u
04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
My take on Pop's coaching--leaving the rotation at 8 players until game out of reach--is that he really wanted this game in particular. Why?

Knowing that the Warriors are on the bubble to gain the playoffs, maybe CIA Pop wanted to help shut the door on them so they wouldn't be an opponent in the playoffs. A running team like the small ball Warriors might be dangerous to the older Spurs in a series.
Could Pop be that calculating?

polandprzem
04-02-2008, 11:10 AM
My take on Pop's coaching--leaving the rotation at 8 players until game out of reach--is that he really wanted this game in particular. Why?

Knowing that the Warriors are on the bubble to gain the playoffs, maybe CIA Pop wanted to help shut the door on them so they wouldn't be an opponent in the playoffs. A running team like the small ball Warriors might be dangerous to the older Spurs in a series.

Pobably not.
games before laoffs are statment games and games where the tactic you've chosen realy works.

The Truth #6
04-02-2008, 02:31 PM
We would probably do well against GS in the playoffs. I would much rather face them than Denver who would beat us up as much as possible to try and win.

Spurs Brazil
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Oberto was great last night

Ime is also playing smarter during the winning streak

Spuradicator
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Great game last night, Im ready to crush the Lakers.......

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Ime is also playing smarter during the winning streak
:tu It looks like he's been getting a better handle on walking the line between "looking for your shot" and "forcing your shot."

Agloco
04-02-2008, 03:29 PM

You could repay the favor by holding onto a lead and beating Phoenix.......

Agloco
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM

I think it was more to send a message to the rest of the league. The old guys are waking up, and they want to keep the trophy right where it is.

Crushing two potential playoff opponents one after the other sends that message loud and clear.

Cry Havoc
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
The Celtics are the best defensive team in the NBA and are attempting to become the first team in NBA history to lead the league in Opp PPG, Opp FG% and Opp 3FG%, IOW, arguably the most dominant defensive team in NBA history...and for the record, they lead in all 3 as we speak. Add to that the fact that Finley choked fucking ass in the finals last year...and you have to be an idiot to count on Finley(and his sub 40% FG%) shooting well. So you better get some freaking rebounds.

Sin,

The obvious

The Dallas Mavericks won 67 games last year and had a streak where they were arguably the greatest team in NBA history. Because regular season records matter. :dizzy

Teams haven't figured the Celtics out yet. I think Detroit will push them to 7 in the ECF, and I think that Pop and Duncan taking a full series against the C's would start to cut down on that mighty defensive prowess. They still have no one to guard Parker and no hope of containing Manu when he steps into playoff form. We all know Duncan will dominate in the playoffs, and if Finley is hitting.... I'd take us over the Cs any day in the playoffs. Unless you can point to some past history of them dominating as a team in a grind-it-out 7 game series...

whottt
04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
The Dallas Mavericks won 67 games last year and had a streak where they were arguably the greatest team in NBA history. Because regular season records matter. :dizzy

Teams haven't figured the Celtics out yet. I think Detroit will push them to 7 in the ECF, and I think that Pop and Duncan taking a full series against the C's would start to cut down on that mighty defensive prowess. They still have no one to guard Parker and no hope of containing Manu when he steps into playoff form. We all know Duncan will dominate in the playoffs, and if Finley is hitting.... I'd take us over the Cs any day in the playoffs. Unless you can point to some past history of them dominating as a team in a grind-it-out 7 game series...

Um...I've figured the Celtics out...they're good. They aren't doing it with smoke and mirrors...they are legit good. The Mavs actually were pretty good too...Nelson just built a team that could take them out, since he built that Mavs team and knew Dirk's weaknesses.

Put it this way...just a team built around Ray Allen gave the Spurs all they could handle in 05. Jerome James was like the 3rd best player on that team...

And you know...Ray Allen doesn't back down from Bruce or get intimidated, he gets his shots in. Although I do think Udoka is going to match up well with him.

They are going to be tough. KG is pretty tough when he's got help, Pierce is an insanely difficult one on one match up if not a true franchise player, and as much I hate to say it...Ray Allen is a freaking good player. Rondo is a good defensive guard too.

And to top all that off, to quote Josh Howard, "I've never seen defense like that before"

They're tough...if the Spurs try to win by running small ball on them, it'll be a mistake.

td4mvp21
04-02-2008, 06:28 PM

I have to agree with whottt on this one. Small ball would be ok as an alternative game plan for the Spurs, but Pop tends to overuse it. I will never understand why he immediately goes to it if the Spurs are losing early in the game. You're losing, so you go small against a big lineup, open up the paint, and sacrifice some defense? I don't understand that. I don't care if he goes to small ball to matchup to the other team well, but don't do it unless you have to. The Spurs are best when two bigs are on the floor.

T Park
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Well Im glad the forum coaches are out in full force.

td4mvp21
04-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Well Im glad the forum know-it-all jackass is out in full force.

bigfundamental21
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Another great Spurs win. Great recap, timvp.

I like the way the team is playing. Everyone is contributing and our defense has been SOLID!

The game on Friday will be another good test. Utah is tough, particularly at home.