PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Player Of The Year....

SKINNYPIMP210
04-02-2008, 03:00 AM
.....Honestly do you think they would leave out Bruce this year?

It's like Sean Elliott today when he was talking about, "Lets give Camby DOP because his team gives up 100+ points a game."

I think Bruce has a chance this year.....

m33p0
04-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Lets give Camby DOP because his team gives up 100+ points a game.
:nope

Last edited by Kori Ellis : Today at 08:16 AM. Reason: because you spelled Elliott wrong
:lol

Princess Pimp
04-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Nope! Bowen is dirty

SKINNYPIMP210
04-02-2008, 03:33 AM
:nope

Last edited by Kori Ellis : Today at 08:16 AM. Reason: because you spelled Elliott wrong
:lol

Lol! Thank you Kori! I've had a little too much to drink tonight....

Bruno
04-02-2008, 04:14 AM
I doubt Bruce Bowen will be DPOY this year.
I've read numerous times this year in some articles "Bruce Bowen has lost a step". It's quite wrong but media guys who writes it won't vote for Bruce. Camby will get it because he has great "defensive" stats with 3.7bpg and 13.3rpg.

Bowen will likely never be DPOY and it's a shame. It sucks that this award is given by a panel of journalists because some of them are quite clueless.

JPB
04-02-2008, 04:29 AM
3 rings.

hsxvvd
04-02-2008, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if Battier was awarded it. I'd also argue that Duncan is more important defensively than Bowen. Dark horse might be Chris Paul?

The Truth #6
04-02-2008, 05:59 AM
KG helped Boston become the best defensive team this year. But for some reason they don't give the award to stars very much if I remember correctly.

ChuckD
04-02-2008, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if Battier was awarded it. I'd also argue that Duncan is more important defensively than Bowen. Dark horse might be Chris Paul?
If CP3 wins it, you might as well end the award, because it will no longer have any meaning. He's one of the worst individual defenders at the point not named Nash. He's tissue paper.

BruceBowenFan
04-02-2008, 06:38 AM
I've read numerous times this year in some articles "Bruce Bowen has lost a step". It's quite wrong but media guys who writes it won't vote for Bruce. Camby will get it because he has great "defensive" stats with 3.7bpg and 13.3rpg.

Bowen will likely never be DPOY and it's a shame. It sucks that this award is given by a panel of journalists because some of them are quite clueless.
:tu

WalterBenitez
04-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Only "award" interested in is NBA's Trophy :wakeup the rest are for individual, if were collective (?) it would go all with champs.

PS: Sorry my billingual neurone if low today :sleep

manufor3
04-02-2008, 07:17 AM

ya, your'e probably right

SAGambler
04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
I would guess that Bruce cares as much about the DPOY as Manu does about the sixth man award.

Just show them all the rings, after a repeat. Tell them that's what it's all about.

JamStone
04-02-2008, 07:54 AM
This could have been the year because no single player really has stood out defensively all year long. There are the rebounders and shot blockers, Chris Paul with the steals, and Battier with his all around play. But, no one really stands out. They might just give it to KG for being the guy that changed the whole team mentality and approach to defense. But, has the award ever been given to a guy that doesn't really dominate on defense? KG is still solid all the way around defensively, but he's not individually a defensive wall, even compared to previous seasons. I think if it's Bruce of 2-3 years ago and maybe even last year, Bruce might win it. But, I'm not sure about it this year.

1Parker1
04-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Yea, I've read several articles stating "Bruce has lost a step" while also the same commentators state that "Bowen is arguably the league's premier perimeter defender" Why is it then that he couldn't have won a DPOY?

Last year, when they gave the award to Camby of the _enver Nuggets, the worst defensive team in the league arguably, this award became a joke.

To further that, I believe this year Camby will most likely win it again. Or KG for "changing the Celtics" despite having missed several games. And has KG ever even made all defensive first team?

urunobili
04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
I would guess that Bruce cares as much about the DPOY as Manu does about the sixth man award.

Just show them all the rings, after a repeat. Tell them that's what it's all about.
Bowen cares about the prize more than Manu on a shitty sixth man one... :drunk

DarrinS
04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
DPOY = Steve Nash

(sarcasm)

ancestron
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
highly doubtful.

carina_gino20
04-02-2008, 08:28 AM

+1

If the head coaches vote for the All-Defensive Teams, why doesn't the NBA just make them vote for the DPoY also? It boggles the mind.

ancestron
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Nope! Bowen is dirty

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/accordingtothisgay.gif

Spurminator
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
DPOY isn't a high-profile award that gets discussed ad nauseum in the last four months of the season like the MVP award, so I don't really think anyone gives it much thought until it's time to vote... at which point, they check the league leader in blocks and give it to that guy. It's a crock.

And at the risk of sounding like a spiteful Democrat who would root for McCain if my chosen candidate lost the Democratic nomination, I think I'd be most pissed off if Shane Battier won it, since he's basically doing what Bowen has done for the last six years but not as well.

CubanMustGo
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Bruce Bowen deserves the DPoD award ... Defensive Player of the Decade.

MarCowMar
04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I think Pop should campaign for Bruce. I get the feeling the award would mean a lot to him (it's not like he could ever be an All-Star or anything). It's the one part of the game he truly excels at and he gets no recognition for it.

Pop should have one of his interns put together a presentation with stats and video demonstrating what Bruce brings to the table.

TDMVPDPOY
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
who really cares man

if camby wins another one,

the more reason for duncan to expose the faker he is....where was camby in the series against the spurs last season in the playoffs....

wildbill2u
04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Bowen deserves it--if for no other reason than his body of work for his career--but you don't win it by shutting down the best offensive perimeter player on the other team night after night. It's all about the flash of blocks and steals.

honestfool84
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I think Pop should campaign for Bruce. I get the feeling the award would mean a lot to him (it's not like he could ever be an All-Star or anything). It's the one part of the game he truly excels at and he gets no recognition for it.

Pop should have one of his interns put together a presentation with stats and video demonstrating what Bruce brings to the table.

OOOR, us fans should make a complication, and send it to the spurs FO, or 'somehow' send it to the league.

yes, yes? yes.

that would be awesome. :D

JamStone
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
And has KG ever even made all defensive first team?

Ummmmm, six times first team all defense, two more times second team all defense. KG has always been an elite all around defender. This year, not as much as previous years, but he's still very good.

1Parker1
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
UMMMMMMMM, I didn't know that, which is why I asked the question in the first place... :rolleyes

DAF86
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Manu for DPOY!!!... :lol

If bowen didn't win before i don't think he'll ever win. :madrun

I think the award will go to any of these 3:

Marcus Camby- He's the best defensive numbers
Kevin Garnett- He's the reason the celtics defense is so good and could get it as a reward for this season tournaround. ('cause he's not getting the MVP)
Shane Battier-He recived a lot of media hype during the streak for his defensive performances.

timvp
04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd be most pissed off if Shane Battier won it, since he's basically doing what Bowen has done for the last six years but not as well.Ditto. Battier is so overrated this season it's not even funny. He had that one game against Kobe but that was obviously just an off game for Kobe. Kobe has, can and will light Battier's azz up again.

As a perimeter defender, I don't think Battier is even top ten in the NBA. His foot speed is only about average. He can get blown off the dribble by anyone who has quickness.

I'll give Battier credit for working hard defensively and being a versatile defender (he can guard power forward pretty well when needed), but he shouldn't be anywhere near the DPOY award.

I know Bowen won't win it. For like the fifth year in a row, rumors of Bowen losing a step will make it impossible for him to win it. What's lame is even Spurs fans start perpetuating those rumors after Bowen has his three or four bad defensive games per season.

I wouldn't really have a problem if KG won it. The Celtics have been the best defensive team all season. Camby or Paul winning it for their numbers wouldn't really bother me. Shane freakin' Battier winning it would bother me though. He's like slower, heavier Bowen who had one fluke game. I didn't have a problem when Ron Artest won it because Artest is actually a damn good defender. Battier? Eh good but not great.

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Did anyone see the Celtics' Artest-like statistics for KG?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-3/The-Numbers--Kevin-Garnett-is--Snuffing-Them-Out-.html

Not quite on the level of Carlisle's campaign for Artest a few years ago, but the numbers are similar to those that Pop railed against back then.

diego
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
i dont get all the hate for camby. its not his fault karl and the nuggs dont have a system, or that duncan and bowen have been overlooked millions of times. hes always been a very good shotblocker and good rebounder. i dont consider him the best defender in the league, but he is quite good and you can see how he affects parker and manu's penetration.

ploto
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Voters will want to recognize Houston in some way and Battier will win it. The main difference between him and Bowen is that Shane has better defensive rebounding numbers, and that has hurt Bowen in the past voting.

timvp
04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Voters will want to recognize Houston in some way and Battier will win it. The main difference between him and Bowen is that Shane has better defensive rebounding numbers, and that has hurt Bowen in the past voting.Actually, the main difference is Bowen is top two perimeter defender while Battier is more like 10-15.

Spurminator
04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
i dont get all the hate for camby. its not his fault karl and the nuggs dont have a system, or that duncan and bowen have been overlooked millions of times. hes always been a very good shotblocker and good rebounder. i dont consider him the best defender in the league, but he is quite good and you can see how he affects parker and manu's penetration.

Ask a Nuggets fan what they think of Camby as a two-time DPOY.

ploto
04-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Actually, the main difference is Bowen is top two perimeter defender while Battier is more like 10-15.
Bruce 2.9 RPG CAREER

It is the main reason Bruce does not win.

timvp
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Voters mistakingly think defensive can be found in numbers.Agreed.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
+1

If the head coaches vote for the All-Defensive Teams, why doesn't the NBA just make them vote for the DPoY also? It boggles the mind.Head coaches also voted Larry Hughes 1st team All-Defense one year, and usually voted Duncan 1st team All-Defense ahead of DRob, so nobody's perfect.

timvp
04-02-2008, 05:08 PM
What's hysterical is everyone praised Battier for being some sort of Kobe stopper after Kobe had that one bad game against him. "OMG did you see Battier! He face guarded Kobe! DPOY!"

Kobe's five previous games against Battier, Kobe averaged 40+ points per game. In their 24 lifetime matchups, Kobe has scored 45 or more points six times, including a game of 56 and two games of 53. Yeah, give this Kobe stopper the DPOY :rolleyes

Oh and Bowen has never given up 45 points to Kobe in their 28 regular season meetings.

timvp
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Include the playoffs and Kobe hasn't scored 45 points on Bowen over the span of 45 meetings.

DAF86
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Actually, the main difference is Bowen is top two perimeter defender while Battier is more like 10-15.

I agree, but that's subjective.

diego
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Ask a Nuggets fan what they think of Camby as a two-time DPOY.

i'm not saying he deserves dpoy, i'm saying he's a good defender playing in a bad system. are you telling me you wouldnt trade oberto/thomas/horry/bonner for camby? i'd do it in a heart beat, and our defense would improve a lot. hell, if he wasnt so fragile i'd probably trade all four of them plus ian and splitter for him.

O-Factor
04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
If no one has stood out this year defensively, maybe Bruce will win it for his body of work. You see that with awards sometimes.

hsxvvd
04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
What's hysterical is everyone praised Battier for being some sort of Kobe stopper after Kobe had that one bad game against him. "OMG did you see Battier! He face guarded Kobe! DPOY!"

Kobe's five previous games against Battier, Kobe averaged 40+ points per game. In their 24 lifetime matchups, Kobe has scored 45 or more points six times, including a game of 56 and two games of 53. Yeah, give this Kobe stopper the DPOY :rolleyes

Oh and Bowen has never given up 45 points to Kobe in their 28 regular season meetings.

:lol Ruben Patterson for DPOY! :lol

PM5K
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
So what's the most Kobe has scored against Bowen and what's his average?

Just curious since you started throwing out stats TimVP...

phxspurfan
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I think KG will win it this year if the Celtics lead all top 3 defensive categories. He has to be the biggest catalyst on that team, in terms of defensive effort.

Agloco
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM

It's like Sean Elliott today when he was talking about, "Lets give Camby DOP because his team gives up 100+ points a game."

Bruce has a chance every year. Problem is, one person always has a better chance than him.

Allanon
04-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I just read some KG DPOY article with a paragraph basically saying Bowen doesn't win because he's perceived to be dirty.

"The Lakers’ Kobe Bryant, a fierce one-on-one defender will get his share of votes because he’s so talented and popular overall. Generally speaking, it’s difficult to single out individual defenders. Over the years, other than Moncrief, the awards have gone to great one-on-one defenders such as Michael Jordan, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest. There are those who believe the Spurs’ Bruce Bowen has deserved it for years but can’t get the necessary votes because there is a perceived notion of dirty play on his part."

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Kahn_Games/2008/04/02/Going_on_the_offense_in_support_of_KGs_defense

BonnerDynasty
04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
DPOY = anyone who can shut down Kobe AND outscore him.

Bruce The Big Dirty Boweeeeennnn

Louie Vega
04-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Just like Manu was an All Star this year? Not gonna happen.

BIG z
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Tim Duncan, i gurantee it....

Obstructed_View
04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Bruce Bowen will NEVER win DPOY because most people refuse to see the difference between dirty work and just dirty, and fans of players that Bowen has shut down would rather accuse him of cheating and hold a grudge than acknowledge that he just beats their superstars on the court.

The award this year will be the consolation prize for MVP, probably to Garnett.

SPURS50
04-03-2008, 04:32 AM
nash should get some votes or maybe amare. there awesome! DE-FENCE = SUNS

LilMissSPURfect
04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
nash should get some votes or maybe amare. there awesome! DE-FENCE = SUNS

:toast :toast gotta give em somthing for last year...they didn't leave the bench.....the ROHO hip checked the bench closer to the court! :drunk :drunk :drunk

hitmanyr2k
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I just read some KG DPOY article with a paragraph basically saying Bowen doesn't win because he's perceived to be dirty.

"The Lakers’ Kobe Bryant, a fierce one-on-one defender will get his share of votes because he’s so talented and popular overall. Generally speaking, it’s difficult to single out individual defenders. Over the years, other than Moncrief, the awards have gone to great one-on-one defenders such as Michael Jordan, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest.

I always thought it was a travesty that Scottie Pippen never won a DPOY award...especially in the '94 or '95 season. He was not only a great one-on-one defender but he hustled his ass off, took charges and he had the numbers as well (2.9 steals, 1+ blocks, 8+ rebounds). And while people like to associate steals with just playing passing lanes I would say at least a third of Pippen's steals came from picking the ball-handler's pocket or using his "swim move" to steal a post entry pass. One of the greatest defenders of all time in all aspects and he has no hardware to show for it. And he never had a legit shot-blocking big man backing him up either.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
So what's the most Kobe has scored against Bowen and what's his average?

Just curious since you started throwing out stats TimVP...

Kobe did get 44 against the Spurs on Valentine's Day 2003 at LA, but the Spurs won the game (the 2nd to last game of that first Rodeo Road Trip, to be specific). For his career against Bowen with the Spurs, Kobe averages 27.7, but shoots about 42% from the floor to get that number.

bobbyjoe
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM

I'm sorry, but Bowen is just not the head and shoulders DPOY you think.

-Bowen has the huge benefit of having Tim Duncan behind him. In years past, the Spurs have also had solid interior bigmen alongside Duncan. This is a huge advantage that guys like Battier, Artest, and Reuben Patterson didnt have.

-Bowen is also a tremendous individual defensive player, but very unremarkable as a team defender, which is what I think Spurs fans often forget. He's not going to slide over off his man and draw charges or really contribute with harassing double teams or be a factor in the passing lanes with deflections.
Why? Because he is so locked into the single goal of shutting down his man, that he's pretty much oblivious to what else is going on on the court.

Team defense is just as important if not more important than individual defense. Guys like Manu Ginobili and Shane Battier may be good, but not great individual defenders but are always throwing their bodies around to draw charges, play the passing lanes, and contest drivers into the paint. Think also of Scottie Pippen. A guy like KG is a force in the paint and alters shots. His defensive value easily exceeds Bruce Bowens.

Bowen is a one-dimensional defender. Great at lockdown, but mediocre in other aspects. He's also very unremarkable as a defensive rebounder. The true all time defensive greats like Jordan, Pippen, Russell, Payton, Olajuwon, Robinson were multi-faceted defensive studs. Bowen is simply not in that class and never will be.

And while blocks and steals may be overrated to a degree, these are also plays where you are effectively stripping your opponent of possession. They also frequently lead to fastbreaks. Bowen is lackluster in these areas. He's lucky to be in a great system where interior defense is so valued that perimeter players can really get into wing players and know they have help behind. Put him in Sactown with their team defense and no way are they better defensively than with Artest...

bobbyjoe
04-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I should add that Bowen's ability to guard the 1,2, or 3 position also adds a lot of value. However, the team defensive aspect still cant be discounted.

He's also not a great defender against the stronger 2 wing players (see Paul Pierce and Bonzi Wells, etc).

bobbyjoe
04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I always thought it was a travesty that Scottie Pippen never won a DPOY award...especially in the '94 or '95 season. He was not only a great one-on-one defender but he hustled his ass off, took charges and he had the numbers as well (2.9 steals, 1+ blocks, 8+ rebounds). And while people like to associate steals with just playing passing lanes I would say at least a third of Pippen's steals came from picking the ball-handler's pocket or using his "swim move" to steal a post entry pass. One of the greatest defenders of all time in all aspects and he has no hardware to show for it. And he never had a legit shot-blocking big man backing him up either.

This is exactly what I was referring to. Team defense, not just individual.

And I agree that Pippen was among the super elite defensive players of Alltime.

IIRC, he finished as runner up for league MVP in 94 and even though he never won a DPOY was always a top finisher. He played in an era with some really great defenders though, unlike now.

I mean with Jordan, Hakeem, Mutombo, Mourning, David Robinson, and Rodman all in their defensive primes it's tough to win DPOY. In today's NBA, Pip wins it yr in and yr out...

bobbyjoe
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
For this yr, it has to be KG.

oboymeetsogirl
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey all you armchair coaches: do you think you know the game better than the real coaches? I'm sorry, but no way...

The coaches know a great defensive player when they see one, and they know that Bowen has been among the two or three best in the league each year for the past six, seven years. Good enough for me.

Will Bruce ever get DPOY? We all know he'd love that, but he loves championship rings a lot more. And that's what the Spurs are all about. Any idiot can say that as an individual player Bowen may not be exactly DPOY material. But who gives a damn? What he does for the team, and the results he gets (like four going on five rings) is absolutely all that matters.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
-Bowen is also a tremendous individual defensive player, but very unremarkable as a team defender, which is what I think Spurs fans often forget. He's not going to slide over off his man and draw charges or really contribute with harassing double teams or be a factor in the passing lanes with deflections.
Why? Because he is so locked into the single goal of shutting down his man, that he's pretty much oblivious to what else is going on on the court.

Team defense is just as important if not more important than individual defense. Guys like Manu Ginobili and Shane Battier may be good, but not great individual defenders but are always throwing their bodies around to draw charges, play the passing lanes, and contest drivers into the paint. Think also of Scottie Pippen. A guy like KG is a force in the paint and alters shots. His defensive value easily exceeds Bruce Bowens.

I'd dispute the objective truths of some of that. I'd argue that Bowen hasn't shown himself to be a great team defender because the Spurs scheme specifically doesn't call for him to act much as a team defender. That he doesn't do it doesn't mean that he can't; I think it actually would tend to weigh more heavily in his favor that he is such an exceptional individual defender that the Spurs choose to lock him in on an opponent's biggest threat and, in essence, take away one team defender who could work to negate the effectiveness of an opponent's offense.

Team defense is important, I think, to the degree that a team chooses to employ schemes that require team defensive efforts. I don't think you can hold it against Bowen that the Spurs choose to deploy him most often with a singular focus.

Bowen is a one-dimensional defender. Great at lockdown, but mediocre in other aspects. He's also very unremarkable as a defensive rebounder. The true all time defensive greats like Jordan, Pippen, Russell, Payton, Olajuwon, Robinson were multi-faceted defensive studs. Bowen is simply not in that class and never will be.

And while blocks and steals may be overrated to a degree, these are also plays where you are effectively stripping your opponent of possession. They also frequently lead to fastbreaks. Bowen is lackluster in these areas. He's lucky to be in a great system where interior defense is so valued that perimeter players can really get into wing players and know they have help behind. Put him in Sactown with their team defense and no way are they better defensively than with Artest...

I agree about the effect of blocks and steals in playing effective defense, but contesting every shot and forcing great scorers into low percentage nights strikes me as every bit as important as those measurables. By harassing shooters into uncomfortable or difficult shots that end up being misses, Bowen has an effect that is every bit as significant as a blocked shot -- nothing about blocking a shot ends a possession unless there's a rebound; the fact that most blocked shots are rebounded by the defensive team is little different from the fact that defensive teams tend to win the battle for rebounds more often than not.

Bowen's defense doesn't have the same intimidating effect that a block can have, but I do think it can have a withering effect over the course of a game and makes a gigantic difference in terms of the successes or failures of the Spurs on the defensive end.

And despite the fact that Bowen is a poor defensive rebounder, he plays for a team that leads the world in defensive rebounding percentage (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=drr&league=nba).

It's curious to me, though, that a guy who blocks a lot of shots or creates a lot of steals can be considered a DPOY candidate despite being a very poor on-the-ball defender, while a guy who is among the elite on-the-ball defenders to ever play the game can lose credibility in the DPOY debate because he doesn't also rebound. It's okay to be one-dimensional, I guess, if your one dimension results in some sort of measurable?

I'm not here to argue that Bowen should be (or will be) the DPOY in 2007-08; frankly, I don't think there's any chance that he will be. But I also think it's a bit absurd to suggest that he's an overrated defender because he "just" creates long nights for great scorers on a routine basis.

T Park
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Uh no, Pop is not Rick Carlisle...

SouthernFried
04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Ask any perimeter player who's the best (dirtiest) defensive player in the league.

As Ahmad told Bowen..."We can ask you who the hardest guy in the league to cover is, and you say several, for different reasons.

On the other hand, all those guys you say are tough covers, have no trouble at all citing the best perimeter defender in the league."

Everyone knows who the best perimeter defender in the league is. And those who say differently...are lying.

The best perimeter defender in the league for the last 6 yrs not winning DPOY... EVER!!

...is more a statement on the league, than you-know-exactly-who-I'm-talking-about.

And so it goes.

timvp
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry, but Bowen is just not the head and shoulders DPOY you think. I'm sorry, but you obviously can't read. Where did I say Bowen should win DPOY this year? The Spurs defense as a whole has been too inconsistent for anyone on the team to win DPOY.

-Bowen has the huge benefit of having Tim Duncan behind him. In years past, the Spurs have also had solid interior bigmen alongside Duncan. The Spurs had Duncan and Robinson patrolling the paint in 2000 and 2001 but it didn't matter because their perimeter defense was a joke. Bowen gets help from playing with a dominating big but he also helps out the dominating big. Without Duncan, Bowen would still be a top of the line defender. With Duncan, Bowen and the Spurs are in the midst of one of the best defensive runs by any franchise in NBA history.

Why? Because he is so locked into the single goal of shutting down his man, that he's pretty much oblivious to what else is going on on the court. ROFL. This was true ... back in like 2002. Bowen's team defensive rotations are the best on the team. He'll rotate to defend any size player ... from point guard to center. The only teams he doesn't rotate is when he's specifically told not to.

Team defense is just as important if not more important than individual defense. Guys like Manu Ginobili and Shane Battier may be good, but not great individual defenders but are always throwing their bodies around to draw charges, play the passing lanes, and contest drivers into the paint. Again, team defense means nothing if you can't stop the better perimeter players in the league. Just ask the 2000 and 2001 Spurs. Ginobili is a very good team defender, however he's allowed to be because he's always defending the other team's worst player. You can't roam as much as a player like Ginobili roams if you are guarding the other team's best player.

A guy like KG is a force in the paint and alters shots. His defensive value easily exceeds Bruce Bowens. ROFL. How effective was KG at playing defense when he was by himself in Minnesota? The T'Wolves were never a dominant defensive team, no matter how much KG "altered shots". KG is a good defender but Pierce, Rondo and Posey are having as good or better defensive seasons.

Bowen is a one-dimensional defender. Great at lockdown, but mediocre in other aspects. He's also very unremarkable as a defensive rebounder. The true all time defensive greats like Jordan, Pippen, Russell, Payton, Olajuwon, Robinson were multi-faceted defensive studs. Bowen is simply not in that class and never will be. So Bowen isn't a top ten defender of all-time. Who said he was? Bowen's job is to play shut down the opposing super stars. He does that as well as anyone who plays today. He's not asked to rebound ... especially considering the Spurs are the best defensive rebounding team in the NBA. There aren't exactly a lot of rebounds to spare.

And if you want to crap on Bowen's game, you better give Michael Cooper equal crappage. He didn't rebound, get steals or blocks either. Yet Cooper is regarded as one of the best defenders ever.

And while blocks and steals may be overrated to a degree, these are also plays where you are effectively stripping your opponent of possession. They also frequently lead to fastbreaks. Bowen is lackluster in these areas.Part of Bowen's dominance is due to his ability to avoid fouls. Reaching or going for blocks in the guts of the game would put him in jeopardy of getting into foul trouble. Pop hates if Bowen reaches or goes for blocks. However, Bowen late in games gets as many game altering blocks or steals as anyone in the league because by then foul trouble isn't a concern.

He's lucky to be in a great system where interior defense is so valued that perimeter players can really get into wing players and know they have help behind. Taking less money repeatedly to stay on the Spurs isn't really "luck". The Spurs are lucky to have him while he's lucky to be in the perfect place. There's no denying that ... but you can say that about everyone on the Spurs.

Oh and Bowen was already on the second team all-defense team before he even joined the Spurs. The Spurs didn't make Bowen what he is. The specifically signed him to fulfill the role he's currently playing. The fact that he's probably the clutchest shooter on the team and plays his best under pressure has just been a bonus.

Blaming Bowen for not doing things the Spurs don't ask him or want him to do is pretty weak. Bowen's legacy is pretty firmly intact, especially amongst Spurs fans who know what it's like not to have a dominant perimeter defender on the team.

And truthfully, you as a Laker fan should have first hand knowledge of Bowen's impact. The biggest difference between the Spurs getting destroyed by the Lakers in 2001 to the Spurs being able to close the gap and eventually end the Lakers' run in 2003 was the addition of a defender who didn't let Kobe do whatever he wanted.

oboymeetsogirl
04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I can't believe the idiotic (but also astute) comments on this post. Every coach, and every player in the league knows who the toughest perimeter defender in the league is, and he plays for the Spurs. I can't believe some of the crap I'm reading because a lot of them are coming from Spurs fans who, I presume, watch the same games that I do.

Plain and simple: without Bowen's defense against the opposing teams' best guards and forwards, I doubt if the Spurs would have won four of the last nine titles. Maybe three of them, but more likely just two of them. Yes, it's about "team" defense, but it's also about the individuals who play on this defense, and who have mastered it within the team format. And for the Spurs, it's been all about Bruce and Timmy anchoring that defense...

All Seeing Eye
04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I can't believe the idiotic (but also astute) comments on this post. Every coach, and every player in the league knows who the toughest perimeter defender in the league is, and he plays for the Spurs.

Yeah but his durrrrrrrty play precludes him from winning the award.