PDA

View Full Version : House minority leader wins $1 million plus in suit

Wild Cobra
04-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Don't be afraid of the legal ability to wiretap. Be afraid of those who are unethical and do so even when it's illegal:

House minority leader wins $1 million plus in suit (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/01/boehner.call/index.html?eref=rss_latest); highlights:

Suit originates from illegally intercepted phone call leaked to the media in 1996

House minority leader wins $1 million plus in lawsuit against Democratic lawmaker

Judge rules on fees after U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Democrat's challenge

Judge earlier found Rep. James McDermott violated federal wiretapping law

ChumpDumper
04-02-2008, 03:41 AM
McDermott didn't actually do the wiretapping, he leaked the tape of the conversation about Newt Gingrich's shitty ethics someone else tapped.

Pretty funny story.

Do you really think $1 million is a reasonable amount for legal fees in this case?

Wild Cobra
04-02-2008, 03:48 AM
McDermott didn't actually do the wiretapping, he leaked the tape of the conversation about Newt Gingrich's shitty ethics someone else tapped.
Yes, I know. What he did was still illegal. The people who did it were also brought to justice. I'm just glad the laws actually get enforced.

Do you really think $1 million is a reasonable amount for legal fees in this case?

I don't know, I don't know what was spent or how much was punative. I'm just glad the legal precident was set.

ChumpDumper
04-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Yes, I know. What he did was still illegal. The people who did it were also brought to justice. I'm just glad the laws actually get enforced.You'd say it was frivolous had the parties been reversed.

I don't know, I don't know what was spent or how much was punative. I'm just glad the legal precident was set.
House Minority Leader John Boehner was awarded more than $1 million in legal fees

Wild Cobra
04-02-2008, 03:58 AM
You'd say it was frivolous had the parties been reversed.
Not true. However, I do take pleasure that it was a democrat having the judgement against rather than a republican.

xrayzebra
04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
You'd say it was frivolous had the parties been reversed.

Chump, you would defend the dimms for murder, wouldn't
you. I suppose you think what occurred was perfectly okay
since it was the dimms that did the deed.

I'm sure you will donate a little cash so McDermott
wont have to dig too deep into his own pocket.

clambake
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Not true. However, I do take pleasure that it was a democrat having the judgement against rather than a republican.
where is you thread about Ward, the embezzler?

ChumpDumper
04-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Chump, you would defend the dimms for murder, wouldn't
you. I suppose you think what occurred was perfectly okay
since it was the dimms that did the deed.

I'm sure you will donate a little cash so McDermott
wont have to dig too deep into his own pocket.I didn't defend anybody; just wanted to give the actual facts since WC decided to spin the story as much as humanly possible.

I'm fine with everything that happened. I only question the actual amount of legal fees. The law is the law.