PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans tie-breaker?

batboy
04-02-2008, 03:39 AM
Hollinger claims NOH owns the tie-breaker against us. Just curious as to what this is based on since we split the season series iirc.

Kori Ellis
04-02-2008, 03:40 AM
They currently own it. The second tie breaker is division record (if you are talking about teams in the same division - which you are).

N.O. - 10-5
S.A. - 10-6

Obviously that will change by the end of the season.

batboy
04-02-2008, 03:44 AM
tyvm

timvp
04-02-2008, 03:47 AM
NO's schedule is doable down the stretch. It's starting to look like the Hornets have wrapped up the number one seed. The Spurs probably have a loss or two left in them ... and they appear to be the only team capable of giving NO a run for their money. Maybe the Lakers but injuries have hurt their chances of running the table.

If NO gets the first seed and Denver or Golden State get the eighth seed, the Hornets will likely not even be too much of a favorite to escape the first round. Their odds of them winning the first round will likely be about as good as the odds of a typical four seed beating a typical five seed. That's how strong the West is this year.

That said, I like the Spurs' chances against NO much better if the Spurs had HCA. A pivotal Game 5 on the road against the Hornets is scary.

batboy
04-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Yeah I would certainly trade skeds.

batboy
04-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Then again, that sota game looks trap-like. Back-to-back and sota has been playing with a lot of pride the second half of this season.

Bruno
04-02-2008, 03:59 AM
New Orleans has clinched the tie-breaker against Spurs.
The second tie-breaker will be for NO or will be a tie.
Hornets have the third tie-breaker (conference record) against Spurs.

When two team are tied, having the best conference record is equivalent to having the worst record against the other conference.
Spurs are 23-7 against ECF teams with no games remaining, Hornets have still lost 8 games against ECF teams.

batboy
04-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Oh yeah, they only have one divisional game left and we are done. All we can do now is finish with a (strictly) better overall record.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I've checked it out and there is no scenario where the tiebreak would go to the Spurs, if the Spurs and Hornets finish with the same regular season record.

The Spurs cannot win the division tiebreak, it can only be a tie if NOH loses to DAL in their last game, because the Spurs have no more division games and the Hornets only have one.

So it would go to the conference tiebreak. If NOH loses to DAL to invoke the conference tiebreak, and yet they are tied in record, then NOH would win the conference tiebreak by 1 game, by the math.

Conclusion? If the Spurs are to win the division, they have to lose 2 fewer games than the Hornets down the stretch.

Spurs 7 remaining games: UTA, POR, PHX, SEA, LAL, SAC, UTA.

Hornets 9 remaining games: MIA, NYK, GSW, UTA, MIN, LAL, SAC, LAC, DAL.

SpurAddict561
04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
We don't want the 1 seed

check the history......

honestfool84
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
We don't want the 1 seed

check the history......

* checked history *

spurs, four nba championship titles.

verdict: spurs can win against any team in the nba

Behrooz24
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
We don't want the 1 seed

check the history......

:dramaquee

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Hornets 9 remaining games: MIA, NYK, GSW, UTA, MIN, LAL, SAC, LAC, DAL.

Note that the last 6 of those games are all sets of back-to-backs, including one set of 4 in 5 nights:

Tue 08 vs Utah
Wed 09 @ Minnesota

Fri 11 @ LA Lakers
Sat 12 @ Sacramento

Tue 15 vs LA Clippers
Wed 16 @ Dallas

whottt
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
What's a matter 2cleva? You figure out that with 24 losses the Lakers don't control jack about their own destiny?

BonnerDynasty
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
We don't want the 1 seed

check the history......

We don't want to participate in the NBA during even years.

Check the history....

lulz

nkdlunch
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM
NO has won 2 of the last 5 games by 1pt. that pretty much wrapped up #1 seed for them. I hope they play nuggets in 1st round

Allanon
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Note that the last 6 of those games are all sets of back-to-backs, including one set of 4 in 5 nights:

Tue 08 vs Utah - Tough game
Wed 09 @ Minnesota - Playing with Pride on a B2B

Fri 11 @ LA Lakers - Pau and Bynum in LA, should be a bee thrashing
Sat 12 @ Sacramento - Artests just beat McGradys, they're playing spoiler

Tue 15 vs LA Clippers - Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, should be challenging
Wed 16 @ Dallas - Dirk back and possible Playoff elimination game

I count 3-4 losses in there.

New Orleans does not have the #1 seed locked up...Spurs, Lakers and Suns all have a decent shot at it.

In fact, I think Hornets drop to the #5 spot by the time this season is done.

Jimcs50
04-02-2008, 01:58 PM
We don't want the 1 seed

check the history......

:lol

1999 - 1 seed - championship

2001 - 1 seed - conference finals

2003 - 1 seed - championship

2006 - 1 seed - conference semifinals

The Spurs have won 4 championships in their history

They have won 2 championships out of the 5 times that they had the #1 seed, a 40% clip and have won 2 championships when they did not have the # 1 seed( 2 out of 25 times) an 8% winning percentage.

So 40% of the time they have #1 seed they win it all and 8% of the time they win it all when they do not have the #1 seed.

You do the math

TampaDude
04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
The Spurs just need to win their games and let the chips fall where they may... :toast

Jimcs50
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
The Spurs just need to win their games and let the chips fall where they may... :toast

All they playing poker or basketball?

TampaDude
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
All they playing poker or basketball?

You are thinking of the wrong chips, dude... :lol

Jimcs50
04-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Speaking of poker, a poker buddy of mine, played poker with Tim Duncan and Jacque Vaughn in New Orleans on March 11th. He took them for quite a bit, he says.

MrChug
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM

To take it a step further in "Pop-Speak", we need to simply refine and polish every facet of the Spurs system to a high, glossy shine. All lessons have been taught by the end of February traditionally. Now we look for sharpness, concentration, and execution. I don't think Pop could care less if we lose one or two ($h!t, or 3 or 4 more) as long as we executed and played consistently.

As long as everyone knows their assignments by the beginning of the playoffs, we're all good in Pop's book. See who is lazy or who doesn't know what set they're in on a few plays and see the next game who's playing time is cut or non-existant. He can take you out of the rotation completely if he doesn't see what he should at this point. *See Beno Udrih, Malik Rose, and mid-season Bonner for proof just to name a few.

We'll be fine and I just can't wait for the REAL season to start :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

Jimcs50
04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
The Spurs 2 biggest losses of the year were at the hands of the Hornets, 24 and 25 pt losses.....I do not want to play this team in the playoffs, they are the only team that I fear in the West.

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM

1999 - 1 seed - championship

2001 - 1 seed - conference finals

2003 - 1 seed - championship

2006 - 1 seed - conference semifinals

The Spurs have won 4 championships in their history

They have won 2 championships out of the 5 times that they had the #1 seed, a 40% clip and have won 2 championships when they did not have the # 1 seed( 2 out of 25 times) an 8% winning percentage.

So 40% of the time they have #1 seed they win it all and 8% of the time they win it all when they do not have the #1 seed.

You do the math

By the same token. . . .

They have won 4 championships out of the 9 times that they've had a healthy Tim Duncan playing at playoff time, a 44% clip. They have won 0 championships when they did not have a healthy Tim Duncan (0 out of 18 times) a 0% winning percentage.

So, 44% of the time they have a healthy Tim Duncan they win it all and 0% of the time they win it all when they do not have a healthy Tim Duncan.

You do the math.

Jimcs50
04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
By the same token. . . .

They have won 4 championships out of the 9 times that they've had a healthy Tim Duncan playing at playoff time, a 44% clip. They have won 0 championships when they did not have a healthy Tim Duncan (0 out of 18 times) a 0% winning percentage.

So, 44% of the time they have a healthy Tim Duncan they win it all and 0% of the time they win it all when they do not have a healthy Tim Duncan.

You do the math.

By the same token......

They have won 4 championships when I had sex with my wife during the playoffs, a 16% clip and 0 championships when TPark has had sex with anyone during that span, a 0.00% clip.

You do the math.

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
By the same token......

They have won 4 championships when I had sex with my wife during the playoffs, a 16% clip and 0 championships when TPark has had sex with anyone during that span, a 0.00% clip.

You do the math.

That's a lot of dry years for you, Jim.

Edit: Actually, re-reading that, it's not as bad as I originally thought. You really should strive to increase your efficiency, though!!

Xylus
04-02-2008, 03:45 PM
:lmao

Jimcs50
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Edit: Actually, re-reading that, it's not as bad as I originally thought. You really should strive to increase your efficiency, though!!

25 yrs, 4 championships....16%

No dry years, dude.

:p:

batboy
04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Wait, Elton Brand is back??

Allanon
04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Yup, Elton Brand is playing for the Clippers tonight. Wonder how he's going to be.