PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook: Oberto Downplays Fracas (Also Bobby Jones)

duncan228
04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040208_SpursNotes.en.21e65b74.html

Spurs notebook: Oberto downplays fracas
Staff reports

Spurs center Fabricio Oberto was surprised when Golden State's Baron Davis shoved him Tuesday.

The incident happened when the two untangled after a scrap for a loose ball late in the third quarter of the Spurs' 116-92 victory at the AT&T Center.

Davis' action earned him a technical foul, and Manu Ginobili's free throw contributed to a 19-0 run that turned the game into a rout for the Spurs.

Oberto made no attempt to retaliate, which likely kept the situation from escalating. Warriors forward Matt Barnes had sprinted to the scene and stood over Oberto as Davis separated himself from the Spurs center.

Tim Duncan, meanwhile, leaped up from his seat on the bench when hostilities appeared imminent. Before Duncan could take a step toward the incident, trainer Will Sevening stepped in front of him and reminded him he could be suspended for going onto the court.

Oberto said Davis was more frightened than angry.

“I think when I fall,” he said, “I think maybe I hit his knee. He thought maybe it was hurt, and he got really scared. That's what he told me.

“I really didn't realize I landed on him like that. It's kind of hard to control when you have a big body. Things just happen in the game.”

Historic day:

On his first day with the Spurs, Bobby Jones made dubious NBA history.

Jones, who signed a 10-day contract with the Spurs a few hours before tipoff, became the first player to play for five different NBA teams in the same season when he took the court with 6:50 remaining. He didn't take a shot, but had one assist.

Jones, a 6-foot-7 forward chosen by Minnesota in the second round of the 2006 draft, started the season with the Denver Nuggets, who waived him Jan. 7. He signed a 10-day contract with the Grizzlies on Jan. 10 and a second 10-day deal on Jan. 21. He then went to the Sioux Falls Sky Force of the NBDL.

He was back in the NBA on Feb. 26 when he signed a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets. He went back to Sioux Falls before signing another 10-day deal with the Miami Heat, then went back to Sioux Falls.

The Spurs called on Monday.

“Nothing surprises me,” Jones said, “not after this season. It's just me being me, expecting the unexpected.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Jones' acquisition will give the Spurs a chance to evaluate adding him to their summer league roster.

Jones relishes this chance.

“If anything, I'd like for this to be my last stop,” he said. “They do it right here. It's a veteran lineup, and I can learn a lot just being around these guys.”

–Mike Monroe

Charter update:

An NBA spokesman said the league is close to finalizing a deal with a charter company to fly the Spurs to road games should they remain in the playoffs in June.

Champion Air, which transports the Spurs and 12 other NBA teams, announced Monday it will go out of business May 31.

“We're not prepared to announce anything yet,” the NBA's Brian McIntyre said. “We've been looking at other options for a while.”

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Northwest has secured a contract to fly NBA teams. The newspaper reported in Tuesday's editions that Northwest said in a January memo to pilots that seven Airbus A319s would be specifically configured for NBA flying.

McIntyre would not comment on the report.

DAF86
04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm waiting for the trolls saying that that was just another dirty play by the spurs :rolleyes

Cry Havoc
04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
How does a team that's transporting an incredibly wealthy set of basketball franchises go out of business?

BlackSwordsMan
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Jones didn't even get to fire a shot. Stoudamire would instantly throw the ball up. I guess to impress Pop if they went in.

ancestron
04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I felt bad for Fab, after he got shoved and stuck his hand out like "I'm sorry buddy, give me your hand..."

Los Spurs
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Jones didn't even play much last night...

CubanMustGo
04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
How does a team that's transporting an incredibly wealthy set of basketball franchises go out of business?

Champion prolly did more than just NBA charters. My guess would be that a contributing factor are markedly higher operating costs due to skyrocketing jet fuel prices - and the contracts to fly NBA teams were set some time ago when JP4 was less expensive. Here's an article ... the A319s are a hella better plane than the old 727's Champion was flying:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1284755/

Apr 01, 2008 (Star Tribune - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- -- Champion Air, a Bloomington-based charter carrier saddled with an aging and inefficient fleet of Boeing 727s, announced Monday that it will go out of business May 31.

About 550 employees will lose their jobs. Minnesotans are familiar with Champion because MLT Vacations contracted with Champion for many of its charter flights to leisure destinations.

But MLT, a subsidiary of Northwest Airlines, is phasing out its business with Champion this year. And so is the National Basketball Association, which had a multiyear contract with Champion to transport 13 teams.

MLT and the NBA provided the vast majority of Champion's revenue.

"Our business model is no longer viable in a world of $110 oil, a struggling economy and rapidly changing demand for services," Lee Steele, Champion's CEO, said Monday in a statement.

Champion's financial problems surfaced long before oil blasted above $100 a barrel. On Oct. 4, when oil was about $81 a barrel, Steele wrote to federal mediators to implore them to place pilot contract talks on hold. In a candid letter, Steele said that Champion needed investors to support a "renewed business plan with a modern fleet" or Champion risked ending operations in August.

Steele said Monday that Champion had failed to "attract new capital and new investors" so the carrier's executives and board decided "to wind up our operations in a responsible, deliberate manner."

Joe Battaglia, a Teamsters business agent, said: "We had every reason to believe that the flying would be at least through the end of the summer." The Teamsters have been attempting to negotiate their first contract for about 70 to 75 Champion mechanics, Battaglia said.

He added that his next order of business is focusing on negotiating exit packages for the mechanics and about 160 flight attendants and nine dispatchers who also are represented by the Teamsters.

Matt Marsh, chairman of Champion's branch of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), said that pilots have been leaving the carrier steadily as its future became more uncertain. In June, 145 pilots were on the payroll, but that number has slipped to 75 pilots.

The announcement of Champion's demise comes as Honolulu-based Aloha Airlines said it would shut down its passenger operations after Monday's flights. Other carriers have been reducing capacity because they want to eliminate routes made unprofitable by high fuel costs.

In 2006, privately held Champion lost $488,000 on operating revenue of $155 million. It lost nearly $400,000 in the first half of 2007.

NWA replaces Champion

The flying that Champion was performing for Northwest's MLT subsidiary now will be done by Northwest.

Tammy Lee, a Northwest spokeswoman, said the shift was made for economic reasons. "With the high cost of fuel, the [three-engine] Champion 727s were too expensive to operate," Lee said Monday. "Further, with our restructuring and the lower operating costs that resulted from that, it was more economical to fly leisure travelers" on Northwest flights.

In addition, Northwest has secured a contract to fly NBA teams. In a January memo to pilots, Northwest said that seven Airbus A319s would be specially-configured for NBA flying.

In recent months, Lee said that Northwest has hired several Champion pilots based on their "quality and experience."

Champion got its start in 1993 as MGM Grand Air, offering air service to high-end customers, including corporate executives and actors. Dick Page, of Edina, acquired the operating certificate from MGM Grand Air and founded Champion.

"I'm very sad for the employees," Page, no longer associated with the airline, said Monday after learning of the planned shutdown. But he wasn't surprised. He said that "it's been public for quite some time that Champion has been struggling."

Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad and Northwest acquired Champion in 1997, and then sold the charter carrier in 2003 to five Champion executives, including then-Champion CEO Steve Spellman. He left in 2007 for an executive post at Sun Country Airlines.

samikeyp
04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
As one in the travel business, I can honestly say that Champion Air blows goats. Their customer service is for shit. More and more agencies will not do business with them or tour operators who use them.

sabar
04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
There's a reason that cost-slashing Southwest Airlines is one of the few airlines that don't make annual losses. The airline industry has been sliding for some time now. Fuel costs too much, maintaining old places costs too much, and new planes cost too much. Southwest has been reaping the rewards of the collapse with their bare-minimums service by making their operating costs so low.

manufor3
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
jones would be a nice replacement for fin-dog if he leaves

ChuckD
04-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Not a huge surprise about Champion. Aloha air announced this week that they will terminate passenger business, and they've been around for 60+ years. My guess is that in a business with razor thin margins, you haven't seen the last of folding airlines.

some_user86
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
There's a reason that cost-slashing Southwest Airlines is one of the few airlines that don't make annual losses. The airline industry has been sliding for some time now. Fuel costs too much, maintaining old places costs too much, and new planes cost too much. Southwest has been reaping the rewards of the collapse with their bare-minimums service by making their operating costs so low.

And by gambling five years ago and buying long-term contracts for oil at a fixed price when people predicted that the price of oil would go down. That's the reason why they are boasting such high profits. Their fuel costs are much lower.

See: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/11/28/business/hedge.php

LilMissSPURfect
04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
And by gambling five years ago and buying long-term contracts for oil at a fixed price when people predicted that the price of oil would go down. That's the reason why they are boasting such high profits. Their fuel costs are much lower.

See: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/11/28/business/hedge.php

:clap

Intellectual and a Spurs Fan! what more can u ask fer.... :clap :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :flag: :flag: