PDA

View Full Version : Bush May Raise Pell Grant Award

SpursWoman
01-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Bush May Raise Pell Grant Award

By DEB RIECHMANN, AP

WASHINGTON (Jan. 14) - To ease tuition sticker-shock, President Bush wants to raise the maximum Pell Grant award by $500 over the next five years and fix a persistent shortfall in the nation's chief college aid program.

That would put the maximum grant at $4,550 by 2010, up 12 percent from the $4,050 offered today.

The White House declined to say whether the president wants to increase the grants received by more than 5 million low-income students, but congressional and education officials familiar with the details of his proposal said Bush will call for raising the Pell Grant award $100 a year for five years.

"The president has been strongly committed to Pell Grants and ensuring that more students are eligible," deputy White House press secretary Trent Duffy said about remarks Bush was making Friday at Florida Community College at Jacksonville. "There is a serious shortfall in the program and the president is committed to addressing it."

News of an increase comes as Bush prepares to send a new budget to Congress next month that the administration promises will include cuts in domestic programs. Presidents frequently emphasize spending increases for politically popular programs in order to take the sting out of painful trimming they've done in the federal budget.

Pell Grants, the government's largest form of financial aid, help low-income students afford college. The grants range from $400 to $4,050, depending on students' financial need, their cost to attend school and whether they are enrolled part-time or full-time.

Norma Kent, a spokeswoman for the American Association of Community Colleges, said an estimated 2 million students, or about one-third of all community college students, receive Pell Grants. Higher grants would be welcome relief from rising costs, she said.

In 2004, the average in-state tuition at public, four-year colleges rose 10.5 percent to $5,132, according to the College Board. Tuition at two-year public colleges rose 8.7 percent to $2,076, and at private colleges rose 6 percent to $20,082.

The Pell Grant increase Bush was expected to propose, however, was shy of his pledge during the 2000 presidential campaign to raise the maximum award to $5,100. Despite soaring college costs, it's been stuck at $4,050 for three years.

"Four years after making - and breaking - a campaign promise to raise the value of the Pell Grant, I hope President Bush is finally willing to make good on that promise," Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., ranking Democrat on the House Education Committee, said in a statement issued Thursday.

"I also hope he is ready to offer a serious solution to the shortfall in funding for Pell Grants," Miller added. "My concern is that the president will rob Peter to pay Paul - increase money for Pell Grants by cutting funding for other important education programs. That is not a workable solution."

Terry Hartle, senior vice president of the American Council on Education, which represents colleges, said his group would be happy with any increase in the Pell Grant award, especially if it was coupled with eliminating a growing deficit in the program.

"If true, these proposals would mark the most significant development in the Pell Grant program since it was created 30 years ago," Hartle said. "The higher education community would vigorously applaud this action."

Regardless of congressional allocations to the Pell Grant program, all eligible students get the grant money they are entitled to receive each year, Hartle explained. Because the economy has not been robust in recent years and more people have gone off to college, the deficit has grown to roughly $4 billion, he said.

"It's a shortfall on paper, but when Congress looks to increase the Pell Grant they do so with the knowledge that the program is roughly $4 billion in the hole," he said. "Eliminating the shortfall would make it much easier for Congress to increase the maximum grant."

Although Congress did not raise the maximum grant last year, lawmakers did increase Pell Grant money by $458 million, to about $12.4 billion. However, Congress also decided not to block the Education Department from updating the tax deduction tables it uses to calculate aid eligibility.

If the department uses the updated tables, it would cause about 1 million prospective Pell Grant recipients to have their eligibility reduced by an average of $300, according to Brian Fitzgerald, staff director of the Advisory Committee on Financial Assistance, which advises Congress. The update would save the Pell program about $300 million a year.

AP Education Writer Ben Feller contributed to this report.

01/14/05 03:01 EST

Useruser666
01-14-2005, 04:24 PM
On a side note, the less popular JimGrant has been totally cut.

MannyIsGod
01-14-2005, 04:28 PM
It's a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. Look at how fast tution is rising. Maybe they need to fund public colleges more.

Actually , I just learned UTSA put in a rock wall and is puttingin a new rec center. WTF? Why can't universities spend money in a smarter fucking way?

Marcus Garvey
01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
See if you can pay your tuition with this paper:

http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/Tpark50.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
In 2004, the average in-state tuition at public, four-year colleges rose 10.5 percent to $5,132, according to the College Board. Tuition at two-year public colleges rose 8.7 percent to $2,076, and at private colleges rose 6 percent to $20,082.

The Pell Grant increase Bush was expected to propose, however, was shy of his pledge during the 2000 presidential campaign to raise the maximum award to $5,100. Despite soaring college costs, it's been stuck at $4,050 for three years.

Those tution costs are ONE year raises. Bush also still hasn't met his promise. Either way, it's a nice step, and better than no action.

Marcus Garvey
01-14-2005, 04:33 PM
I would post a picture of the 100 but that mark ass bitch Duff didn't even show up for the photo.

SpursWoman
01-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I would post a picture of the 100 but that mark ass bitch Duff didn't even show up for the photo.

The new McCartney $700 bill is in design stages as we speak. :fro

Useruser666
01-14-2005, 04:53 PM
The new McCartney $700 bill is in design stages as we speak. :fro

Better have it done by the time I get there! :lol

JoeChalupa
01-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I support Dubya on this.

mysterious_elf26
01-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Actually , I just learned UTSA put in a rock wall and is puttingin a new rec center. WTF? Why can't universities spend money in a smarter fucking way?

Although I do agree, it is a very smart way to spend the money. UTSA is one of the fastest growing universities in the U.S. and to keep up with this rapid growth is rapid expansion. The bottom line is students won't go to a university if its facilities are not up to date. That is why they are putting so much money into the rec center. At the same time, they are upgrading the Engineering Building, Science and Business Buildings as well as adding a parking garage for its students. Compared to other universities, UTSA is extremely careful in deciding how to spend its money.

Duff McCartney
01-14-2005, 05:55 PM

I can semi-understand the rec center...since everybody is trying to get people to be more active and healthy, but the rock wall is just ridiculous.

mysterious_elf26
01-14-2005, 05:55 PM
O.K., I'm a little confused. Does this mean that there not cutting pell grants anymore as they first reported????

MannyIsGod
01-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Wait, why are universties TRYING to attract more students? That doesn't make sense to me. They aren't a business trying to make money, they are publicly funded. They don't need to compete with other schools in any area's outside of academics. They aready have ONE rec center, and are proceeding to build a SECOND instead of putting that money torwards academic use.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2005, 12:29 AM
The pell grant was not ever cut. Congress added more money, but the money that was added is not keeping pace with the new number of students coming into the program. That means that some students who were eliglbe this past year, will not be for the next one. This increases the grant amount, but it still isn't keeping pace with the rate tuitino at public institutions is increasing.

Clandestino
01-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Wait, why are universties TRYING to attract more students? That doesn't make sense to me. They aren't a business trying to make money, they are publicly funded. They don't need to compete with other schools in any area's outside of academics. They aready have ONE rec center, and are proceeding to build a SECOND instead of putting that money torwards academic use.

manny, i think this is first time i have ever agreed with you. upgrading the rec center is wasted money.

at utsa, you can not even get an appointment with an advisor! they only have about 16 appointments per month. and only allow walk-ins for 2 hours per day. and what is worse is when you do talk to an advisor they are only one step above clueless.

class sizes for even jr and sr level classes are over 200.

new academic buildings and parking garages are money well spent. anything other than that is a waste.

Nbadan
01-17-2005, 12:47 AM

More students equals more money. More money equals better facilities and a better group of professors. Better facilities and a better group of professors equals more prestige. More prestige equals the right to charge even more money. With or without sports, UTSA is caught in the whirlwind of growth affecting many SA and Texas universities. Many students will get priced out. The only answer is to keep building more colleges, this is why SA needs a new AM extension, well, that and who the hell would want to live in College Station by choice?

MannyIsGod
01-17-2005, 02:16 AM
ONce again, Universtities are not in the business of making money but of educating their students. Themore money shit doesn't fly.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-17-2005, 10:35 AM
In no way am I trying to defend UTSA, but I do know that they are attempting to add more doctoral programs and establish more research opportunites.

This semester, The University Star is going to take a look at the fees and tuition costs for the average student at Texas State and find out where it's going and what it is used for once it gets there.