PDA

View Full Version : Walsh will be significant upgrade for Knicks (spurs material)

AceProfits
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Walsh will be significant upgrade for Knicks
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
6 hours, 27 minutes ago

Buzz Up Print
Three weeks ago, Donnie Walsh was absent from his customary Conseco Field House seat to watch the Pacers and Knicks. He was hiding. Word was out that Isiah Thomas’ job would soon belong to Walsh, and it was as though New York’s coach was determined to deliver his old boss and soon-to-be successor the loser’s gift that keeps on giving: Extra Secaucus ping-pong balls.

So yes, Thomas has been canceling practices with the regularity of a beer-league softball team and the Knicks beat guys swear that he conducts the shortest game-day shootarounds in the sport. Whatever, Thomas’ determination to tank the rest of a lost season has been undeterred despite the inevitability of Walsh usurping him as Knicks emperor.

Even with the game tied with nine minutes left on March 17, Thomas chose Randolph Morris and Wilson Chandler over his two most productive players, Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph. Surprise, surprise: New York lost by a dozen, inspiring one Knicks assistant coach to privately grumble the obvious to league friends that night, “The plan wasn’t to win the game.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Truth be told, taking a dive for Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose has been the best-executed endeavor of this regime’s four failed years.

Essentially, it ended on Wednesday at Madison Square Garden, where Walsh was introduced as the Knicks’ top basketball executive. Walsh has a long, distinguished history of success in the sport, an insider’s insider whom the commissioner keeps on speed dial. He’s a good hire for the Knicks, an upgrade, but seriously: Opening a phone book, closing your eyes and pointing would probably be an upgrade.

The discussion of Thomas staying as coach beyond this season had been born out of a belief that beyond Jim Dolan’s bizarre loyalty to him, Walsh wouldn’t be averse to the idea. After all, he hired Thomas to coach the Pacers. Here’s the problem: Never mind that Thomas hasn’t worked at his job coaching with the Knicks; Walsh privately held that that was the case with the Pacers, too.

Some league executives insist that Walsh never wanted to hire Isiah in Indiana, that it was the owner, Herb Simon, who pushed an old Hoosier hero on him.

Whatever the case, it’s impossible to believe that Thomas returns as Knicks coach beyond this season, though there’s always a chance Dolan wants him to stay with the organization in some front-office capacity. The fact that Thomas has been so loyal to the losing cause down the stretch suggests that he believed he would keep some role with drafting and scouting players.

Dolan hired the preferred choice of David Stern, who has been pushing Dolan hard for months now. Stern pushed him into dropping an appeal and settling Anucha Browne Sanders’ sexual harassment suit for $11.5 million. Stern pushed Walsh on Dolan, too. This hire delivers a dose of credibility to the Knicks’ bottomed-out operation, goodwill to a city of basketball writers who’ve always been partial to Walsh’s goodwill and Bronx charm.

Nevertheless, there are younger, more cutting-edge minds in the sport. There are now executives, too. To think that Dolan never called R.C. Buford, the Spurs GM, speaks to the flawed business sense of the franchise. How did they hire the last president and GM? They offered the job to Magic Johnson. He turned it down. Magic said, “Try Isiah.” They did.

Buford has the title of general manager, but Gregg Popovich has ultimate control of the sport’s best-run franchise. Buford loves his life in San Antonio, his relationship with Popovich, but he would’ve listened to the Knicks. Unlike Walsh, who no longer travels to scout colleges and Europe, Buford is one of those younger executives who travels to the ends of the earth to complement Tim Duncan with the perfect cast of characters. Any top executive with final say must work this way now.

No one has done a poorer job of mining the globe for players than the Knicks. After spending time studying the Cleveland Indians, Buford constructed a model Developmental League relationship with San Antonio’s Austin affiliate. These are different days in the NBA, different vistas and the Knicks, with unlimited resources, would’ve been wise to explore them all.

There’s little love between Stern and the Spurs, and it was no surprise that Buford wasn’t on his short list for Dolan.

Walsh works the phones hard, and he’s relentless that way. The Knicks are hiring him for his great eye of talent and team building, but that work will largely be left to his understudy, perhaps ex-Philadelphia GM Billy King. Walsh is a believer in his old point guard, Mark Jackson, as a future NBA coach. Scott Skiles is a possibility too, and a source close to him says he’s already told ousted Indiana coach, Kelvin Sampson, that he wants to bring him as an assistant wherever he goes.

What will be most interesting for Walsh is whether he heeds John Calipari’s clandestine push for the job. Coach Life Skills has Memphis in the Final Four and he knows this weekend could be his ticket back to the NBA, where he never wanted to leave. He is selling himself as the man who can deliver LeBron James in 2010, the Jay-Z for the Knicks. Of course, Memphis’ director of player personnel, William Wesley – the famous World Wide Wes – is responsible for delivering the Tigers’ big stars, from Dajuan Wagner to Chris Douglas-Roberts to Rose, with last week’s McDonald’s All-American game MVP Tyreke Evans of Philadelphia on deck.

This time, Calipari is desperate to get on the right side of the Hudson River, desperate to vindicate his checkered run with the New Jersey Nets. He made the playoffs once in Jersey, but mostly made enemies at a rapid rate. His paranoia and pettiness was legendary, but wildly entertaining. Even so, Calipari’s partner in prowling for NBA jobs, Larry Brown, is still close with Walsh, and King did baby sit Brown and Calipari together on the Sixers bench in 1999-2000.

For now, Donnie Walsh, out of Fordham Prep and the Bronx, is the new star at Madison Square Garden. He’s 67 years old and the biggest mess in basketball belongs to him now. For all the bad contracts, bad characters and bad karma that Isiah Thomas left him, there is this one final gift for all the lottery picks he cost them for Eddy Curry.

Twenty wins and sinking for this franchise. For now, Donnie Walsh has the benefit of the bouncing ping-pong balls across the river in Secaucus. No, the plan hasn’t been to win the game in New York. Maybe now, that starts to change for the New York Knicks.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. He will be on leave writing a book until April. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
SendEmail

T Park
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I didn't realize the Spurs and Stern didn't like each other.

Buford?

Go ahead and take him New York.

Mr. Body
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Send Buford to NY so he can trade all their best prospects to Houston.

The Truth #6
04-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Are people seriously slamming Buford? I hated the Scola trade but guessed it was more about the owner trying to save money.

What's the big argument against Buford?

timvp
04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, Buford has made some mistakes but it's best that he remains with the Spurs. With Presti gone, there's no one in line to take over for Buford. Pop taking his concentration off of coaching would be a bad thing.

Mr. Body
04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Are people seriously slamming Buford? I hated the Scola trade but guessed it was more about the owner trying to save money.

What's the big argument against Buford?

Most of his moves lately have been teh suck.

T Park
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah not drafting Josh McRoberts has just killed this team.

Mr. Body
04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah not drafting Josh McRoberts has just killed this team.

Try Glen Davis, fathead.

At least McRoberts is still with the team that drafted him.

I could have told them Marcus Williams sucked. They didn't even have to pay me for that.

The Truth #6
04-02-2008, 08:02 PM

I'm not disagreeing, I"m just curious what moves have annoyed you.

Mr. Body
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm not disagreeing, I"m just curious what moves have annoyed you.

Resigning Matt Bonner.

Resigning Matt Bonner for 3x as much money as he's worth.

Trading Luis Scola for fucking nothing.

some_user86
04-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Kurt Thomas (and getting rid of the Lux tax) for Francisco Elson?

Bad trade?

Mr. Body
04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Kurt Thomas (and getting rid of the Lux tax) for Francisco Elson?

Bad trade?

I like Thomas, but I fail to see any reason so far we need him. As far as I'm concerned so far, we traded a first round pick for a guy who barely plays much. I don't see why we had to give up a first round pick there.

Russ
04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
No one has done a poorer job of mining the globe for players than the Knicks.
Hey, what about French center Frederic Weis?

The Truth #6
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Resigning Matt Bonner.

I agree with these opinions.

They did get lazy this Summer and just brought everyone back. Signing Bonner to that deal was made worse by not telling Horry to retire. Now that he's here for the season, like Pop, I trust him over Bonner - but I don't see why we needed both. Horry's presence has thwarted Bonner's development - though in the end, I think Bonner is what he is - an 8th or 9th hustle guy with a jump shot. If they thought he was going to be the next clutch shooting power forward they couldn't have chosen a more unlikely candidate.

And yeah, not signing Scola is so wrong only tight budgets or conspiracy theories make sense.

As for signing Kurt, I think he's been solid enough. He'll be worth more in the playoffs if we play LA or Phoenix or Utah. I think it's too soon to make a complete judgement.

My point the last few years has not been about the players that we didn't sign but the players whom we had that we didn't develop better. That, to me, is a problem, but not Buford's problem.

Russ
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Resigning Matt Bonner.

The bonus of drafting and signing Tiago Splitter will dwarf all of these small missteps.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Calipari as coach of the Knicks?

I think that would not end well.

And there's no way they could bring Larry Brown back. Or is there?

ShoogarBear
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I didn't realize the Spurs and Stern didn't like each other.
http://www.31alumni.com/tv-ratings1987.jpg

T Park
04-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Try Glen Davis, fathead.

At least McRoberts is still with the team that drafted him.

I could have told them Marcus Williams sucked. They didn't even have to pay me for that.

So trade for a less talented Oliver Miller.

Genius.

BTW, if you don't think Thomas is worth a first rounder mr "Hed have to take less money for Holt to save money" GM.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Buford? LMAO

without landing Duncan he wouldn't have job right now

but I give credit for Buford signing Bonner to that great contract and trading Scola for a bad of chips to the Rockets

K-State Spur
04-02-2008, 10:54 PM

most of his moves lately have been luxury tax motivated.

and they've put themselves in a situation where they've only had to do a few things right to keep a championship caliber team on the floor.

for as much gruff as he takes from some, he and pop have assembled the deepest spurs team for this year's run.

K-State Spur
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Resigning Matt Bonner.

29 other GMs would love for a role player at 3 million/year to be the worst contract on their roster.

T Park
04-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Buford? LMAO

without landing Duncan he wouldn't have job right now

but I give credit for Buford signing Bonner to that great contract and trading Scola for a bad of chips to the Rockets

Or without pushing for drafting Tony Parker.

Or finding and drafting Manu Ginobili

K-State Spur
04-02-2008, 11:11 PM

don't forget finding and drafting Scola. without that move, fans on this site wouldn't have much to bitch about.

Russ
04-02-2008, 11:28 PM

And don't forget all that talent traded to Miami to get Bowen.

Brutalis
04-03-2008, 04:00 AM
I don't know. I just think Buford is somewhat cheap and causes him to be lazy with decisions. Good in the sense nothing is ever just killer however we sustain success.

The Truth #6
04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
I think the Spurs have worked very hard at being cheap and getting as much profit as they can. Staying under the luxury tax. Trying to get 100 million for undisclosed repairs to a practically brand new arena...

K-State Spur
04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't know. I just think Buford is somewhat cheap and causes him to be lazy with decisions. Good in the sense nothing is ever just killer however we sustain success.

Why would a GM ever be cheap? Every GM in every sport would spend hundreds of millions if they could. Their budget is determined by their boss. Their job is to put the best team on the floor/field within that budget.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree that given the restraints that exist (poor draft positions, small market, ownership that is (understandably) unwilling to foot the luxury tax), Buford has more plusses than minuses at this point. The faction that will never forgive him for the Scola trade (never minding the off-the-floor externalities that seemed to have caused that deal to occur) will never see things that way, of course, but I think his body of work is generally a good one. At the very least, Buford played a critical role in building a core that would win at least the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th titles in the history of the franchise. They've generally made lemonade from what would be lemons for many other franchises. Criticisms are fair, but credit is due as well.

Mark in Austin
04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I am curious to know if the anti-Spurs comment was an assumption on the author's part based on the whole small market thing, or if there is something specific he is referring to.

Penya
04-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey, what about French center Frederic Weis?

Bilbao Basket, Spain. He's a Top5 of centers in that league after Tiago, Marc Gasol, Felipe Reyes and Curtis Borchardt.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree that given the restraints that exist (poor draft positions, small market, ownership that is (understandably) unwilling to foot the luxury tax), Buford has more plusses than minuses at this point. The faction that will never forgive him for the Scola trade (never minding the off-the-floor externalities that seemed to have caused that deal to occur) will never see things that way, of course, but I think his body of work is generally a good one. At the very least, Buford played a critical role in building a core that would win at least the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th titles in the history of the franchise. They've generally made lemonade from what would be lemons for many other franchises. Criticisms are fair, but credit is due as well.+1

Salary dumps are ordered by ownership -- and every team does it except the Knicks. GMs have to deal.

Consider the luxury tax threshold a hard cap and you will sleep better at night.

Or not.

WTF do I care?

ChumpDumper
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah -- almost forgot....

Borchardt!

Penya
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Oh yeah -- almost forgot....

Borchardt!

His knees, his torture.

When he's healthy, he's the best player in Spanish League. But...

Supergirl
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
LOL. People slam Buford, but his management of the Spurs is part of the reason the Spurs have four championships as well as part of the reason the Spurs are even still IN San Antonio. Not entirely responsible for either thing, but he did his part to help make those things happen.

Every other sportswriter or analyst agrees Buford is one of the top execs in the league's history. Only Spurs fans could possibly be COMPLAINING about the guy who reigned during the time we won 4 championships. And yes, big credit to Duncan, but managing the team around a player of his caliber, putting all the pieces together as well for as long as he has - that deserves some credit too.

Spurs Brazil
04-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Great post FWD

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
To be fair to those who criticize Buford, there are significant misses on his resume that go beyond the Scola deal (again, not a decision that appears to me to have entirely been his fault) -- missing on Josh Howard being paramount in my mind. But even if you take those two major misses, I think it's really, really difficult to suggest that Buford is inept or deserves little credit for the Spurs' recent successes.

To diminish his role in the Spurs' great run is, in my mind, to ignore the objective truths of history. He's probably not the greatest GM in the history of pro basketball and he might not even be the best in the game at the moment; but he's sure as hell a far cry from the worst or even being anywhere near the bottom.

It's shameful to me that R.C. Buford has never been named the Executive of the Year (or that Popovich has never gotten that honor on behalf of the Spurs' front office) given the great successes of this franchise in building around a superstar, and then rebuilding a large portion of its roster at least two more times without missing a beat and coming perilously close to a reasonable shot at 5 consecutive titles.

Mitch Cumsteen
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
It's easy to criticize some whiffs in the draft. Everybody GM does that. And from where they've been picking for the last decade, it's really par for the course. So missing on guys like Barbosa and Howard... it happens. It sucks, but it happens.

The Matt Bonner thing is a head scratcher though. I mean, for the same money, they could've signed Scola when everybody in their dog knew he was 3x the player Bonner is. Surely they could find another big who could stretch the floor as the heir apparent to Horry. Hell, they aren't playing Horry or Bonner right now.

And those salary dumps? You don't have to trade picks (or assets like Scola) to dump salary if you don't sign CBA-lifers like Jackie Butler to $8 million contracts. I mean, even the fucking Knicks wouldn't match that offer for that scrub.

But getting back to the main subject.... Donnie Walsh. Has anybody seen the pile of crap he's assembled in Indiana? Blame it on Larry Bird if you will, but Walsh has had his hand in that mess too. My God, they're almost as in bad of shape as the Knicks. Terrible cap and the only decent young asset they have is Danny Granger.

Harry Callahan
04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Two words for the RC bashers - Bob Bass. Out