PDA

View Full Version : raptors to protest premature shotclock start in loss to hawks

zocool16
04-03-2008, 02:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280402001

TJ Ford's game-winning lay-in was waved off, but replays showed CLEARLY that the shot clock started early.

I wonder if after this, there will be a new rule regarding early shot clock starts.

If this happens, it will have been four years too late...lol

timvp
04-03-2008, 02:32 AM
So you can't shoot a layup with .5 but you can catch, turn and shoot with .4?

:pctoss

Mavs08
04-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up this shit is fresh not even ESPN has this info!

how did TimVp get this info? why is ST #1 with updates?

where is the Donate Icon to this site?

I wish mark Cuban had TimVp!

Brutalis
04-03-2008, 03:05 AM
I could say so many things right now outside of this happening that are way more important but much more tired.

(suns fans take out your pencils)

ata
04-03-2008, 03:14 AM
I as far as I remember, there was wrong score recording last year. Atlanta had 2 points to much. Raptors fouled on purpose and lost, they wouldn't have done that (fouled) if score would have been correct.

MannyIsGod
04-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Raptors got hosed.

polandprzem
04-03-2008, 03:47 AM
So you can't shoot a layup with .5 but you can catch, turn and shoot with .4

You kiddin'?

Fish just tipped it in!

Kobayagi
04-03-2008, 03:49 AM

lol, exactly what I posted yesterday in the Raps thread. :lol

SPURS50
04-03-2008, 04:10 AM
WHERE "IF THAT HAPPENED TO THE SPURS, I'D JUMP OFF MY ROOF" HAPPENS!!!

unbelievable.

honestfool84
04-03-2008, 08:55 AM
and this goes in the spurs forum because..?

LilMissSPURfect
04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
WHERE "IF THAT HAPPENED TO THE SPURS, I'D JUMP OFF MY ROOF" HAPPENS!!!

unbelievable.

:drunk

san antonio spurs
04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
for .4 it was done by the spurs personnel.
This one was done by the other team's staff.

T Park
04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
and this goes in the spurs forum because..?

because we feel like it.

Slow it down cartman.

T Park
04-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Its impossible to shoot a shot in .4

Not one person will EVER be able to covince me of that.

Cry Havoc
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Its impossible to shoot a shot in .4

Not one person will EVER be able to covince me of that.

Sadly, that's the second most painful moment of my life as a fan.

Don't ask me about the first.

angel_luv
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I am glad to hear the Raps are protesting that call. They should.

Of course, even better would have been to win in overtime because that would have guaranteed us getting the victory.

angel_luv
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Raptors got hosed.

Manny... you have blue lips!

:lol

LilMissSPURfect
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
can we protest .04 again?

thispego
04-03-2008, 10:43 AM

what is the first?

honestfool84
04-03-2008, 10:57 AM
what is the first?

+1

ploto
04-03-2008, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1jHSh8RR4

ploto
04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
A league spokesman told ESPN.com's John Hollinger after the game that referees can't review whether a prematurely started clock caused a shot to come after the buzzer. They can only review whether the shot actually beat the buzzer. That would make any Raptors protest difficult to win since the refs followed the letter of the law in disallowing Ford's shot.

A source told ESPN.com that three referees and the timer have the ability to start the clock, and there is technology to trace who it was in this instance. Normally in similar situations, the trail referee starts the clock, and in this case that was Lewis.

T Park
04-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Try watching that in person and at the basket i sit behind....

lefty
04-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Let me guess...Dirk's 3 point play in 2006?

ata
04-03-2008, 11:31 AM
your avatar, ata... I actually touched my screen to knock off the bug...
:lmao
Well, that is the purpose

WalterBenitez
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
They wil do what? :lmao

batboy
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM

:elephant :bang :madrun :pctoss :ihit

ClingingMars
04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1jHSh8RR4

great comment on that video

Atlanta = "Where Robbery Happens"

-Mars

ploto
04-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Kind of clever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0EZPJ10kpI&feature=related

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Horford claims his tip should thwart any Raptors' protest

Forward says he got hand on pass that set-up potential game-winning layup

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/03/08

Al Horford admits to being as caught up in the post-game atmosphere of the Hawks' comeback win over Toronto Wednesday as much as anyone.

When a team climbs out of a 17-point hole in 13 minutes, forces overtime with a huge 3-pointer with just 0.5 seconds to play and then wins 127-120 in overtime, it's hard not to get caught up in the moment.

But Horford insists that any clock-related controversy surrounding T.J. Ford's potential game-winning layup at the end of regulation is much ado about nothing.

"I was trying to time it and I was so caught up in the moment that it didn't register until this morning, but I touched that ball," Horford told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday. "I reached out and tried to swat [the inbounds pass] away, but it was a great pass and I was only able to get my fingertips on the ball."

Ford's basket, which would have won the game, was disallowed when replays showed he was still in contact with the ball at the buzzer. The game went into overtime tied 107-107.

Toronto officials, including head coach Sam Mitchell, contend that the game clock started early with 0.5 seconds to play. The Raptors indicated following the game that they intended to file a protest with the NBA.

As of late Thursday afternoon, the league had not responded to the AJC's requests for a comment on the issue or indicated that a protest had been filed.

If Horford indeed touched the ball, which was difficult to confirm by watching the replay, the game officials started the clock properly. And there certainly wouldn't have been enough time for Ford to catch the ball and then lay it in before the game clock expired.

"The officials made the ruling on it," said Hawks coach Mike Woodson, whose team puts its five-game win streak on the line tonight against Philadelphia at Philips Arena. "And really, everybody is reaching on this now. Listen, we played a great game. We won the game. Both teams made some great plays, but we made the plays at the end to win. And hey, stuff happens during a game that is out of the control of the players and coaches all the time and you have to live with it."

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo had a different take. He believes his team is being victimized for the second time at Philips Arena in the last year. Ford wasn't credited with a basket late in a loss to the Hawks last season that could have changed the course of that game.

"The clock clearly started before he [Ford] touched it," Colangelo told the Toronto Star. "The fact that this happened in Atlanta ... it's just absolutely inexcusable."

The Hawks have already been on the wrong side of an official protest this season. After an official scorer's error in a Dec. 19 win over Miami, the Hawks were forced to replay the final 51.9 seconds of that overtime win on March 8. They won the scoreless replay but the stigma attached to it — the league hadn't seen a replay game since 1982 — hasn't faded.

"At this point in the season you just don't want anything like this to cloud what we've got going," Marvin Williams said. "Nobody wants to see another replay game, man. Not again. What happened last time was so ridiculous. We won the game, period."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/04/03/hawks_0403.html

ploto
04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Raptors will not protest Atlanta result

After taking nearly all of the allowed 48 hours to consider it, Toronto Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo announced Friday evening that the team would not be protesting the result of Wednesday night's loss to the the Atlanta Hawks.

In the game, T.J. Ford's potential game-winning lay-up at the end of regulation was waived off because it was released just after time in regulation had expired. However, upon further review, the clock started at least a tenth of a second before Ford caught the inbound pass.

The officials said that the clock was started because referee Eric Lewis saw Atlanta's Al Horford tip the pass. Colangelo said he felt that he had proved, during conversations with league officials on Thursday and Friday, that Horford did not tip the ball. However, Lewis's decision was a judgment call, and the league told Colangelo that overturning a result based on a judgment call was a near impossibility.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/04/04/nba-raptors-will-not-protest-atlanta-result.aspx

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
They shouldn't have anyways. Horford tipped it.

ploto
04-04-2008, 09:55 PM
No he didn't. The ref was trying to cover his ass for the mistake and Horford claiming he did not remember until the next day is laughable.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I think he touched it.

T Park
04-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Horford clearly touched it.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I always think the color on my tv has gone bad when I see the Hawks' court.

The Truth #6
04-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I remember a year or two ago we lost to the Grizzlies on a last second shot by Mike Miller. They started the clock early and his shot went in after the buzzer had sounded, yet the refs decided the shot should still count. I thought they should have replayed it because when you hear the whistle it's a natural instinct to stop playing. Anyway, given that refs then had no problem overruling the buzzer, I don't see why they couldn't have done the same in this instance.

remingtonbo2001
04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
:pctoss Why must we continue to rekindle the pain of .4?