PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs Dark Horse...

ElNono
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Who will it be this year?
I think NO has a great chance. CP3 doesn't back down from anybody, and my only question is wether Peja and David West will show up for the playoffs.

TampaDude
04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah...NO is a dangerous team...it would be good to avoid them as long as possible in the playoffs...

Findog
04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
They're not a darkhorse because they're one of the top three teams in the conference and they'll finish with a top three seed. If you want "darkhorse," gotta go with the Mavericks or Jazz. Suns, Spurs, Lakers and Hornets are the favorites.

jacobdrj
04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Jazz could do it. In theory. I keep hearing their defense is suspect, but I think that might have more to do with who they are playing...

My money is still on the Lakers, however.

DazedAndConfused
04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
How can the #1 seed be the Darkhorse? Fucking idiots.

I say the Lakers only because nobody really knows what kind of team they will have out there for the playoffs.

Findog
04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Their defense does suck and they're awful on the road, which is why I don't think they have the juice to do anything signficant in the playoffs, but if you want a darkhorse, it's either them or the Mavs. The other four teams I listed, it shouldn't be a surprise if they rep the West in the Finals, and Houston, Golden State and Denver are first-round fodder at best.

Findog
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM

I say the Lakers only because nobody really knows what kind of team they will have out there for the playoffs.

A *healthy* Laker team isn't sneaking up on anybody. A depleted Laker team is the same bag of shit they've been the last three years and won't be beating anybody.

DazedAndConfused
04-03-2008, 12:29 PM
A "healthy" Laker team won't be sneaking up on anybody, but no team out there has played the Lakers at full strength. Nobody knows what to expect, including the Lakers themselves.

Findog
04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
A "healthy" Laker team won't be sneaking up on anybody, but no team out there has played the Lakers at full strength. Nobody knows what to expect, including the Lakers themselves.

What is Bynum's status? How many minutes are they counting on him in the playoffs?

mojorizen7
04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
SIXERS in the East.
There is no darkhorse in the West. There are the contenders and then there are the ROCKETS,NUGZ,MAVS,and the WARRIORS.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Their defense does suck and they're awful on the road, which is why I don't think they have the juice to do anything signficant in the playoffs, but if you want a darkhorse, it's either them or the Mavs. The other four teams I listed, it shouldn't be a surprise if they rep the West in the Finals, and Houston, Golden State and Denver are first-round fodder at best.

The notion of Utah being (as Hollinger suggested today) the best team in the conference is bizarre to me, given those first two facts.

Given that it looks quite realistic that Utah will have to start each series on the road in these playoffs, my gut instinct is to think that Utah is likely to be the most disappointing team in the West -- at least to some of the analysts who think they could win the whole thing.

I actually think that Phoenix might be the most likely group to come from a lower seed to win the conference. They're two back of SA to have the best record among non-division winners and they're functionally two back of LA to win the Pacific, making them likely to finish no better than 5th (although in this season, who in the hell knows). Shaq's presence does seem to have taken Amare to another, scary level and they've been thinking all year that they got hosed last year in the playoffs, giving them some additional motivation. Plus, there is the Shaq Factor, which does seem to have changed their mentality of late. It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Suns make a deep run from the #5 spot and have a chance to get to the Finals at last.

JamStone
04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know if there's a dark horse in this year's playoffs. I think the East will end up being won by either Boston or Detroit. And, most believe the West will be won by the Spurs, Lakers, or Suns.

I don't know what I'd classify the Hornets as, seeing how they been pretty consistently good and at or near the top of the conference over the second half of the regular season.

Maybe not necessarily dark horses, but there could be some sleepers. The Jazz, Magic might be a couple.

A dark horse is a team like the Washington Wizards with Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler healthy making some noise in the East. Or Houston without Yao making it all the way to the Conference Finals.

I don't think anything like that happens this year.

Findog
04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
SIXERS in the East.
There is no darkhorse in the West. There are the contenders and then there are the ROCKETS,NUGZ,MAVS,and the WARRIORS.

The Mavs have just as good a shot as the Suns, assuming we get in.

Findog
04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
The notion of Utah being (as Hollinger suggested today) the best team in the conference is bizarre to me, given those first two facts.

Given that it looks quite realistic that Utah will have to start each series on the road in these playoffs, my gut instinct is to think that Utah is likely to be the most disappointing team in the West -- at least to some of the analysts who think they could win the whole thing.

I actually think that Phoenix might be the most likely group to come from a lower seed to win the conference. They're two back of SA to have the best record among non-division winners and they're functionally two back of LA to win the Pacific, making them likely to finish no better than 5th (although in this season, who in the hell knows). Shaq's presence does seem to have taken Amare to another, scary level and they've been thinking all year that they got hosed last year in the playoffs, giving them some additional motivation. Plus, there is the Shaq Factor, which does seem to have changed their mentality of late. It wouldn't shock me at all to see the Suns make a deep run from the #5 spot and have a chance to get to the Finals at last.

Phoenix is scary when you have Nash and Amare running the high screen and roll with Shaq also out on the floor. He's done exactly what they got him for. It's a matchup nightmare. And I don't see them bowing out before the semis at the earliest. But I have to believe that defense matters more than great offense in the playoffs, and even with Shaq helping alleviate their rebounding weaknesses and being a physical presence in the paint, their defense still sucks. It's not going to be enough to get them past Detroit or Boston, especially since it will probably take at a minimum 18 or 19 games to come out of the west, while the Celtics or Pistons might only need 14-16 to get to the Finals.

ElNono
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Because, excluding the coach, they have 0 games of experience in the playoffs? How do we know they're not going to have a deer in the headlights look when the playoffs start?

Findog
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Because, excluding the coach, they have 0 games of experience in the playoffs? How do we know they're not going to have a deer in the headlights look when the playoffs start?

Peja, Bonzi and Chandler all have playoff experience.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
But I have to believe that defense matters more than great offense in the playoffs, and even with Shaq helping alleviate their rebounding weaknesses and being a physical presence in the paint, their defense still sucks. It's not going to be enough to get them past Detroit or Boston, especially since it will probably take at a minimum 18 or 19 games to come out of the west, while the Celtics or Pistons might only need 14-16 to get to the Finals.

Oh, I agree. By no means am I saying that I think the Suns will win the title or even that they'll win the West. I'm actually punting on the original question as well, since I'm not sure that Phoenix would qualify as a darkhorse at this point, either. But I think that of the teams that are likely to have the lower seeds in the West, Phoenix is the team that is most likely to get to the second round and perhaps beyond -- and I'll hedge on saying beyond Round 2 by noting that if they're #5, they'll likely get New Orleans in the WCSF; the Hornets have been able to beat the Suns pretty consistently this season (albeit a Suns team sans Shaq).

ElNono
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Peja, Bonzi and Chandler all have playoff experience.

I will give you Peja. Bonzi doesn't play too much (although I haven't seen them too much lately, that might be different now) and Chandler's experience is from the Leastern conference, so I don't think it counts.

Their All-Stars have a combined 7 games playoff experience.

Findog
04-03-2008, 02:22 PM
and Chandler's experience is from the Leastern conference, so I don't think it counts.

:rolleyes

Their All-Stars have a combined 7 games playoff experience.

Well good luck counting on stage fright in order to beat them. They're fucking good.

DazedAndConfused
04-03-2008, 02:27 PM
It seems like Spurs fans think every team that hasn't already won a championship will get stage fright in the playoffs.

ElNono
04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I actually think we're the superior team... but whatever makes your happy...

Findog
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I actually think we're the superior team... but whatever makes your happy...

I would say Spurs in 7, but the Hornets can beat you guys.

Xylus
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, since it sounds so ridiculous after last year's barnburner season, but the Dallas Mavericks are your Dark Horse. Only lower seed in the West with the ability to take out the Hornets, Spurs, Suns, Lakers and Jazz.

It's unlikely to happen, but the Mavs have a far better chance of getting out of the first round than the Nuggets, Warriors, or Rockets.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
It seems like Spurs fans think every team that hasn't already won a championship will get stage fright in the playoffs.

Or that a Spurs fan (or some Spurs fans) thinks that.

This forum has been flooded with thoughts by other Spurs fan who are sure that the Hornets will be a real bitch for anyone to deal with (including the Spurs) at playoff time.

mardigan
04-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, since it sounds so ridiculous after last year's barnburner season, but the Dallas Mavericks are your Dark Horse. Only lower seed in the West with the ability to take out the Hornets, Spurs, Suns, Lakers and Jazz.

It's unlikely to happen, but the Mavs have a far better chance of getting out of the first round than the Nuggets, Warriors, or Rockets.
I agree totally, they do have the experience and the talent to take pretty much anyone seeded higher than them.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I agree totally, they do have the experience and the talent to take pretty much anyone seeded higher than them.

I would agree with that in general, but their struggles against good teams in the aftermath of the Kidd trade give me some pause -- and I don't think thrashing Golden State last night really changes those concerns. If the Mavs close strong and beat some of these good teams down the stretch (@ LAL and @PNX would be a good start), I'll reconsider.

I'm not counting the Mavs out by any means, but I think that they're not the most likely 5-8 seed to make a deep run.

Findog
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
First we have to get in. We DO have a bitch of a schedule remaining. We need to get a split of the Lakers/Suns roadies.

Xylus
04-03-2008, 02:48 PM
If the Mavs beat the Lakers, I'll love them forever.

Xylus
04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
FWD, when considering the lower seeds in the Western Conference, you have to place Utah lower than Phoenix since they're a half-game behind us. So technically, Phoenix is in the Top 4 and Utah is in the Bottom 4.

Then it becomes debatable whether the Jazz can do more damage than the Mavericks. Personally, I'd rather play the Jazz because of their terrible road record.

Girasuck
04-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Personally, I'd rather play the Jazz because of their terrible road record.

Which is sooooo overrated. Seriously. Take out the month of December and we're 2 games above .500 on the road. We've won at Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Phoenix, Denver, Golden State, Houston, and we still get a chance at wins in Dallas, NO, and San Antonio (not saying we will win them, just that we have a chance to do so).

Utah is a big game team which is why our road record is so overrated. We're a young team that hasn't learned how to get up to play bad teams on the road. Luckly for us we won't be playing the Clippers or TWolves in the playoffs.

manufor3
04-03-2008, 06:54 PM
denver or golden state

Tradition
04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
As the saying goes "Before you suceed, you must learn how to fail."

This applies to the Hornets and any other team that hasnt dealt with playoff failure. EVERY team that has won the championship has had to deal with losing in the postseason/postseasons before. The Bulls dealt with losing to the Pistons before humilating them in a sweep and beating the Lakers in 91. The Lakers dealt with years of coming up short throughout the 90's. The Spurs dealt with their share of playoff exits before getting the 99 title. Hell even the players Pistons/Heat dealt with playoff exits before winning it all. Hornets will have to go through the same process. Chris Paul will have to know what losing in the playoffs feels like before taking that next step. It might just be once he has to deal with it or possibly more. Who knows. Jordan,Duncan.Shaq,Kobe,Dream,Wade, etc etc all had to and it wont be any different for someone like Paul.

Back to the question of this thread...the Dallas Mavericks are the darkhorse in the west and the Cavs are the darkhorse in the east.

mojorizen7
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Just because the MAVS have a dark horse in their logo doesn't make them one. :drunk
IMO Dallas has peaked and Avery's heart isn't in it anymore.
How long is Stackhouse out anyway?

ChuckD
04-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Who will it be this year?
I think NO has a great chance. CP3 doesn't back down from anybody, and my only question is wether Peja and David West will show up for the playoffs.
How can you be a dark horse as a 1 seed?

My dark horse is Dallas.

ElNono
04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
To put it on Pop terms, seeding means jackshit this year in the West.
You miss a player or two for 3 games, and you can fall from 2nd to 6th.
I don't think any bookie in their right mind would put NO as absolute favorite if their 1st round series is against the likes of Dallas or Phoenix...
This is not the East, the 1 seed and the 8 seed are separated by 6 games.
Plus regular season records mean jackshit, or did everybody forget what happened to our Texas cousins last year?

Findog
04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
IMO Dallas has peaked and Avery's heart isn't in it anymore.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

nickdakoolkat
04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
NO is no doubt a legit team, but like the Warriors they only play 6-7 guys consistently and that would worry me in a 7 game series. Especially if they make it to the 2nd round....

Killakobe81
04-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Denver would be a true "darkhorse" or the Rockets everyone else has the talent and or experience to win it ...those teams can't seem to get oout of round one so any wins in the post-season would be considered a success ...