PDA

View Full Version : Best American Rock Band

Thunder Dan
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Who wins?

saw this (http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2005-07-05-pop-candy_x.htm) and thought it might be interesting to ask.

mrsmaalox
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
The Eagles

mrsmaalox
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey, I accidently voted Van Halen!!!! :dizzy It's definitely the Eagles

dirk4mvp
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Guns N' Roses

monosylab1k
the beatles

dirk4mvp
But out of that list...Metallica

monosylab1k
04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
(and it beter not be Nirvana because I left them off on purpose)

:tu anybody who thinks it's Nirvana is an idiot.

manufor3
04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
bon jovi!

monosylab1k
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Huey Lewis & The News

bus driver
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
U2

samikeyp
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
For me,
The Eagles, then Boston.

Mister Sinister
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Styx?

Thunder Dan
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
:tu anybody who thinks it's Nirvana is an idiot.

they are basically a Pixies cover band that sold out. Kurt was a good talent, but they are very overrated. I'd put Pixies on this list before Nirvana

bon jovi!

actually, I was going to put them on because they have sold more albums than any of the bands on the list I made....but then I was like, I might hate America if they win this poll- so I left them off

samikeyp
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Styx?

Maybe a little before your time, junior.

:)

midgetonadonkey
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
The best American band of all time is the Beach Boys. Without a doubt. But if we are saying Rock bands then I will have to go with The Eagles.

monosylab1k
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
The best American band of all time is the Beach Boys. Without a doubt.
:tu

Thunder Dan
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
The best American band of all time is the Beach Boys. Without a doubt. But if we are saying Rock bands then I will have to go with The Eagles.

The Beach Boys were taken into consideration, but they were left off b/c I consider them a pop band, along with Elvis who was also left off.

monosylab1k
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Ccr?

mrsmaalox
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Eagles are definitely the greatest, but my personal all time greatest are Steely Dan.

monosylab1k
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Steely Dan.
:tu :tu :tu :tu

monosylab1k
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh goodness if Pearl Jam wins this I'm going to be severely disappointed.

tlongII
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
It's difficult to call Steely Dan a "band" as it was mainly 2 individuals with various accompanying artists. I love Steely Dan though.

I voted for The Eagles.

Mister Sinister
04-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Ccr?
THIS. MOTHERFUCKING THIS.

CuckingFunt
04-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I voted for The Doors, simply because they're my favorite of the bands listed and I didn't feel like contemplating the "other" possibilities.

leemajors
04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Funkadelic by a landslide. And yes, they were a rock band. I'd take CCR over most of the listed bands. Aerosmith sucks ass.

David Bowie
04-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I voted for Tom Petty and the HEartbreakers (and they rock live too.)

I also really, really like ALICE IN CHAINS

Fillmoe
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
ramones

LakerMagic
04-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Other......Nirvana

Vinnie_Johnson
04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
the beatles

American :lol

Vinnie_Johnson
04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.absolutepunk.net/gallery/files/1/2/7/1/2/1/DeadKennedys02.jpg

My Vote :toast

shelshor
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Grateful Dead---I just loved those gapping holes in the space-time continuum

DAF86
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Aerosmith and from the new ones: The Strokes. But i prefer british bands like the beatles, the police and oasis

Vinnie_Johnson
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Grateful Dead---I just loved those gapping holes in the space-time continuum

:rolleyes oh crap

Leetonidas
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Queensr˙che

Vinnie_Johnson
04-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Aerosmith and from the new ones: The Strokes. But i prefer british bands like the beatles, the police and oasis

The Strokes :clap

baseline bum
04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Where the fuck is Pantera?

baseline bum
04-04-2008, 12:21 AM
.. and anyone who thinks Nirvana sucks is a fucking retard.

Vinnie_Johnson
04-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Where the fuck is Pantera?

Still cleaning up the puke that is narvana :pctoss

AlamoSpursFan
04-04-2008, 02:30 AM
I voted for Van Halen, but I would have voted Rush, because isn't Canada really just the 51st state with a crappy health plan and better beer?

:lol

Ccr?

They do some rock, but I'd put Cross Canadian Ragweed into the Texas Music category, even though they're from Oklahoma.

Finally! The proof I was looking for that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am, in fact, a fucking retard. I KNEW it!!!

:drunk

J.T.
04-04-2008, 02:39 AM
For me,
The Eagles, then Boston.

Completely agreed. Sucks that Boston gets so little recognition in "best band" talks. But it's definitely The Eagles.

J.T.
04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
srv
jimi hendrix
grateful dead
slayer

Good choices as well, although SRV is more blues than rock.

J.T.
04-04-2008, 02:43 AM
They do some rock, but I'd put Cross Canadian Ragweed into the Texas Music category, even though they're from Oklahoma.

I'm pretty sure that mono was talking about Creedence Clearwater Revival when he said CCR. Oh, and god damn I hope I didn't just bite on troll bait.

Supreme_Being
04-04-2008, 05:20 AM
I vote for Dream Theater.

circ
04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
OdCqzEdG2DQ

mp3 (http://tinyurl.com/6mutzn)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-04-2008, 07:38 AM
http://www.plasticofantastico.es/images/RAMONES.gif

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 07:40 AM

why? I tend to think that everyone that thinks Nirvana is brilliant is a fucking retard. Why? because they didn't start shit. If anyone, Mudhoney and Pixies started grunge. Nirvana just became the posterboys because they got snagged by a big label. Then when they sold out (right after Nevermind), they wanted to draw eyes away from that fire by lashing out at Pearl Jam calling them sellouts and trying to get their fan base to turn on them. But actually the reverse happened. Pearl Jam went on to outsell Nirvana with followup albums. Pearl Jam stayed true to themselves by not making music videos for every song (Nirvana). Pearl Jam is still around making good music today.

So let's recap: Nirvana didn't start grunge- the suits brainwashed everyone into thinking that. They sold out to MTV then tried to divert the attention. Pearl Jam's Vs. sold more than 800k more albums it's first month than Nirvana's In Utero, showing truth that people now preferred Pearl Jam to Nirvana. They would have been a band to just fade off into a decent, but normal career in the business but would become less and less relevant and would definitely not be around today. The started with a flash, and ended with a bang, and all people have to judge of their music is about 3 years of work. (which alone shouldn't include them in this argument)

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 07:50 AM
why? I tend to think that everyone that thinks Nirvana is brilliant is a fucking retard. Why? because they didn't start shit. If anyone, Mudhoney and Pixies started grunge. Nirvana just became the posterboys because they got snagged by a big label. Then when they sold out (right after Nevermind), they wanted to draw eyes away from that fire by lashing out at Pearl Jam calling them sellouts and trying to get their fan base to turn on them. But actually the reverse happened. Pearl Jam went on to outsell Nirvana with followup albums. Pearl Jam stayed true to themselves by not making music videos for every song (Nirvana). Pearl Jam is still around making good music today.

So let's recap: Nirvana didn't start grunge- the suits brainwashed everyone into thinking that. They sold out to MTV then tried to divert the attention. Pearl Jam's Vs. sold more than 800k more albums it's first month than Nirvana's In Utero, showing truth that people now preferred Pearl Jam to Nirvana. They would have been a band to just fade off into a decent, but normal career in the business but would become less and less relevant and would definitely not be around today. The started with a flash, and ended with a bang, and all people have to judge of their music is about 3 years of work. (which alone shouldn't include them in this argument)

I agree I think Nirvana was over-rated. Anyone that plays guitar knows their riffs were pretty simple and plain. There wasn't anything complex about their style. This thread is however totally opinionated though, I mean come on someone said Dream Theater and Pantera. Even though I like Pantera I dont think they are anywhere NEAR the Best American Rock Band.

to21
04-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Went with Van Halen. Most of those others have a good chance also.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Currently, my top 10:

1) Ramones
2) Doors
3) Metallica
4) Pantera
5) Guns 'n' Roses
6) Creedence Clearwater Revival
7) Television
8) White Stripes
9) Red Hot Chili Peppers
10) The Strokes

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 07:55 AM

I agree about Pearl Jam as well. When I used to work at a music store I always laughed at people who would talk about Pearl Jam like they only made one record when at that time they had 5 records out. Ten was what they broke out with and Jeremy, Alive, Even Flow, and Black were the only songs that were popular with non fans. I would say that Ten is their 4 best album IMO.

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
I agree I think Nirvana was over-rated. Anyone that plays guitar knows their riffs were pretty simple and plain. There wasn't anything complex about their style. This thread is however totally opinionated though, I mean come on someone said Dream Theater and Pantera. Even though I like Pantera I dont think they are anywhere NEAR the Best American Rock Band.
yeah good point. It's not like I don't own Nirvana albums, because I do and I enjoy them- I just don't consider them the BEST.

I forgot Jimi Hendrix (well not really, i considered him a solo artist when I was considering Dylan aswell) but if Bruce Springsteen is on there then I guess he counts. I also left off because I didn't have room, Bon Jovi and Grateful Dead

stretch
04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Smash Mouth.

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Smash Mouth.

LOL I hope your not serious.

pjohn78
04-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I voted for The Doors because Jim Morrison is a rock God.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I voted other because I have a three way tie with The Eagles, Guns N' Roses, and CCR.

The three are so different and so good that I can't really distinguish either group as #1.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 08:23 AM

The genre of rock that CCR played was called "Swamp Rock" because of Louisiana-bayou based sound and they were from California, not Oklahoma.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM
American :lol
lol yeah I was just kidding.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Nirvana licked balls. The only good memory I have of the Nirvana era is hearing on MTV that he used a shotgun.

Foo Fighters >>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana
and I really don't care for Foo Fighters all that much.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that mono was talking about Creedence Clearwater Revival when he said CCR.
lol yes that's what I meant. I've never even listened to Cross Canadian Ragweed.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
^^^^^^^^

The genre of rock that CCR played was called "Swamp Rock" because of Louisiana-bayou based sound and they were from California, not Oklahoma.

Nevermind.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Good god, the most votes go to freakin Pearl Jam and not one vote for The Boss. What the hell?

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Good god, the most votes go to freakin Pearl Jam and not one vote for The Boss. What the hell?

Pearl Jam has been around for about 17 years, they have sold a ton of albums, they have tons of hits, they still tour well and create good music. What is your problem with that?

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Pearl Jam has been around for about 17 years, they have sold a ton of albums, they have tons of hits, they still tour well and create good music. What is your problem with that?

Dude, The Boss has been at it muuuuuuuuuuch longer than Pearl Jam.

And, he and his band are touring as we speak.

The Boss >>>>>>>>>>>> Pearl Jam

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM

As much as I would love to back Dan up on this one Peewee does prove a point. Even though im not a fan of The Boss, I do recognize his place in music. With that being said if Pearl Jam and the Boss were playing to seperate shows in my town I wouldn't think twice about getting Pearl Jam tickets.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
his place is way under bob dylan as a songwriter.

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM

+1

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
agreed, but you can find eddie vedder well below both of them.

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM

I wasn't arguing that Pearl Jam was better than Springsteen, I was just pointing out that it's not absurd that Pearl Jam has as many votes. If you want me to argue that Pearl Jam is better than Springsteen I will. Springsteen has a bunch of baloney songs that became hits because they are easy to listen to. Listen to all of Born in the USA; it's basically a John Couger Mellencamp album about the state of New Jersey. Born to Run- arguably his greatest hit, is about leaving work. Basically all of his songs are written about the same thing. So yes, I personally think Pearl Jam is better, as do I think just about any other band on the list is better than Springsteen- that is why he is right above 'other'. His music serves as the soundtrack to background,top-40 pop rock with no substance. It's lyrically country and it's no surprise that he keeps doing sucessful tours because America as a whole likes shitty music- it's the reason Celine Dion, Nickelback and Bon Jovi sell out across the US. So yes, I would argue that all day long because it's my opinion, but I wasn't arguing by making that point about Pearl Jam.

If you really want to read about how Springsteen sucks read Klosterman's Killing Yourself to Live and Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs; in the latter he explains how it is a crock of shit that Bruce is bigger than Billy Joel, and the only reason that is, is because America has more dumb people than smart people.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Never really cared for them, or much of the Seattle grunge scene. I don't hate them, and their new stuff is a lot better than their old, but I'm just not a fan and don't know how they could be anywhere near "best american band" status.

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Never really cared for them, or much of the Seattle grunge scene. I don't hate them, and their new stuff is a lot better than their old, but I'm just not a fan and don't know how they could be anywhere near "best american band" status.

they actually won in the poll that sprung this whole topic. See the link I posted in my first post

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I wasn't arguing that Pearl Jam was better than Springsteen, I was just pointing out that it's not absurd that Pearl Jam has as many votes. If you want me to argue that Pearl Jam is better than Springsteen I will. Springsteen has a bunch of baloney songs that became hits because they are easy to listen to. Listen to all of Born in the USA; it's basically a John Couger Mellencamp album about the state of New Jersey. Born to Run- arguably his greatest hit, is about leaving work. Basically all of his songs are written about the same thing. So yes, I personally think Pearl Jam is better, as do I think just about any other band on the list is better than Springsteen- that is why he is right above 'other'. His music serves as the soundtrack to background,top-40 pop rock with no substance. It's lyrically country and it's no surprise that he keeps doing sucessful tours because America as a whole likes shitty music- it's the reason Celine Dion, Nickelback and Bon Jovi sell out across the US. So yes, I would argue that all day long because it's my opinion, but I wasn't arguing by making that point about Pearl Jam.

If you really want to read about how Springsteen sucks read Klosterman's Killing Yourself to Live and Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs; in the latter he explains how it is a crock of shit that Bruce is bigger than Billy Joel, and the only reason that is, is because America has more dumb people than smart people.
I can understand your opinion of Springsteen, I'm not a huge fan myself, but there's no denying that he's a much bigger icon of American rock than Pearl Jam.

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM

:clap :clap

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I can understand your opinion of Springsteen, I'm not a huge fan myself, but there's no denying that he's a much bigger icon of American rock than Pearl Jam.

right, I agree. But Britney Spears is bigger than both but what does that prove?

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
they actually won in the poll that sprung this whole topic. See the link I posted in my first post
Well Aerosmith finished 2nd, Van Halen 3rd, and Journey 5th so I don't see how that poll has much credibility.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
right, I agree. But Britney Spears is bigger than both but what does that prove?
she's pop.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 10:44 AM
i would like to repeat that aerosmith sucks.

Thunder Dan

Not if your looking for the perfect song after you are leaving a Blue collar job in New Jersey

In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway american dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin out over the line
Baby this town rips the bones from your back
Its a death trap, its a suicide rap
We gotta get out while were young
`cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend
I want to guard your dreams and visions
Just wrap your legs round these velvet rims
And strap your hands across my engines
Together we could break this trap
Well run till we drop, baby well never go back
Will you walk with me out on the wire
`cause baby Im just a scared and lonely rider
But I gotta find out how it feels
I want to know if love is wild, girl I want to know if love is real

Beyond the palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard
The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors
And the boys try to look so hard
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist
I wanna die with you wendy on the streets tonight
In an everlasting kiss

The highways jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybodys out on the run tonight but theres no place left to hide
Together wendy well live with the sadness
Ill love you with all the madness in my soul
Someday girl I dont know when were gonna get to that place
Where we really want to go and well walk in the sun
But till then tramps like us baby we were born to run

or you can see the brilliant lyrics to Born in the USA

ATRAIN

Come on Dan you mean Mambo number 5 and Who let the Dogs out weren't smart songs, I mean after all they were Billboard number 1 hits weren't they?

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
i would like to repeat that aerosmith sucks.

I hate aerosmith with a passion and I met Steven Tyler in person and he was a fucking dick. Im glad I threw him the finger and said "fuck you". I of course moved along pretty quick when his body guard started coming after me. That was a huge man.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I haven't liked too much of their stuff since "Californication," but the poll's lack of Red Hot Chili Peppers seems like a pretty glaring omission.

Also, who credits Nirvana with starting grunge? They're pretty universally seen as the band that really brought a lot of attention to the genre, which they did, but it had been going on for quite a while before Nirvana came out.

atxrocker
04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
of the options listed my vote would go to the doors or the ramones.

Thunder Dan
04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Also, who credits Nirvana with starting grunge? They're pretty universally seen as the band that really brought a lot of attention to the genre, which they did, but it had been going on for quite a while before Nirvana came out.

the people that argue that Nirvana is a 'great' band often try to use 'Nirvana started grunge' as their main argument. So I was being pro active defeating that argument if a hardcore Nirvana fan were to show up.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are a good option for 'other' and if I could list 15 bands, they would be on there.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
outside of flea, the chili pep sucks.

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I haven't liked too much of their stuff since "Californication," but the poll's lack of Red Hot Chili Peppers seems like a pretty glaring omission.

A lot of people actually do, but they are usually the ignorant posers.

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
wMD7Ezp3gWc

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
the people that argue that Nirvana is a 'great' band often try to use 'Nirvana started grunge' as their main argument. So I was being pro active defeating that argument if a hardcore Nirvana fan were to show up.
Interesting. I've never heard that argument before, though I've also never argued with anyone over Nirvana's greatness before. I have always found their connection to grunge to be a bit dubious, anyway, as they don't sound at all like any other grunge band. Nirvana is really more of a punk band than anything else, they just so happened to be from the Seattle area and fronted by a really unhappy guy.

And I would definitely put them pretty high on my list, for the record, but not at the top. They're right with other bands like The White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Queens of the Stone Age, and X -- amongst my personal favorites, but I'd never be delusional enough to call them the greatest of all time.

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Interesting. I've never heard that argument before, though I've also never argued with anyone over Nirvana's greatness before. I have always found their connection to grunge to be a bit dubious, anyway, as they don't sound at all like any other grunge band. Nirvana is really more of a punk band than anything else, they just so happened to be from the Seattle area and fronted by a really unhappy guy.

And I would definitely put them pretty high on my list, for the record, but not at the top. They're right with other bands like The White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Queens of the Stone Age, and X -- amongst my personal favorites, but I'd never be delusional enough to call them the greatest of all time.

Its really hard to say any band is the greatest of all time. Like I said before its all in the eye of the beholder.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 11:24 AM

I like both Springsteen and Pearl Jam.

But, to qualify Sprngsteen's music as lyrically country and all about leaving work and New Jersey because someone told you that's what it's about . . . it's just insane.

The Boss has written some of the most politically charged songs around.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest song writers ever.

That can not be denied.

ATRAIN
04-04-2008, 11:26 AM

That can not be denied.

Great Songwriter, horrible singer.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 11:32 AM

You're right.

But, that won't stop me from hearing his music.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
have you heard him recently? As bad as he always was, he is absolutely unlistenable now. It's really sad.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 12:01 PM
i'll put neil young way above springsteen too.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 12:32 PM

I won't argue with that.

mrsmaalox
04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Neil Young's voice is a little better than Dylan's. :lol I wouldn't mind hearing Jakob Dylan sing some of the old man's songs. I love the Wallflowers, that's how Bob's voice should be.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Neil Young's voice is a little better than Dylan's. that's like saying cat poop smells better than dog poop

Condemned 2 HelLA
04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
It's either.....

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb92/SalvMerc2/gwar__.jpg

.......or........

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/mikeemmick/The%20Mentors/upthedose.jpg

:D

TOP-CHERRY
04-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Guns N' Roses

JoeChalupa
04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
For me, no such band exists 'cause there are too many that really stand out for me. It just depends on your taste.
I like both Neil Young and The Boss but I wouldn't necessarily put one above the other because I like them both.
And besides, for me, none of the newer bands can hold a candle to the classic rock bands of my time.

JoeChalupa
04-04-2008, 07:05 PM

That can not be denied.

Oh hell yeah. :tu

JoeChalupa
04-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Not even. But again, that is just me. I love Neil Young but I wouldn't go that far. I've jammed to both many, many times. Two great musician/song writers. I love 'em both.

JoeChalupa
04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Aerosmith Rocks!! Granted, not like they did back in the day. But they are still going!!

David Bowie
04-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Boston is another good one

More then a Feeling was in my alarm clock for over four years . It was a great song to wake up to every day.

RIP Brad Delp
His death socked me

Melmart1
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Hard to pick just one, but ...

Beach Boys
Eagles
Doors
CCR
REM -- nobody mentioned them but I absolutely love them. Two of my favorite songs of all time are "Radio Free Europe" and "Fall on Me"

Kermit
04-04-2008, 11:07 PM
I've got to go with Petty. Catalogue that's second to none, band that is as tight as any other, and he's still writing great stuff.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Not even. But again, that is just me. I love Neil Young but I wouldn't go that far. I've jammed to both many, many times. Two great musician/song writers. I love 'em both.
well, the only thing springsteen has on young is that young is canadian and doesn't count in this thread. or maybe you're just from new jersey.

pussyface
04-05-2008, 04:46 AM
red hot chili peppers- anthony keides or whatever his name is is the worst front man in the history of rock and roll

pearl jam- sucks out loud

JoeChalupa
04-05-2008, 08:34 AM
well, the only thing springsteen has on young is that young is canadian and doesn't count in this thread. or maybe you're just from new jersey.

Like I said, it is a matter of opinion. I like 'em both and I'm not from Jersey.

I like Pearl Jam too but no way they are in my top 10 list.

manufor3
04-05-2008, 08:52 AM
saw this (http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2005-07-05-pop-candy_x.htm) and thought it might be interesting to ask.
that dude has no taste

Thunder Dan
04-05-2008, 09:19 AM
For me, no such band exists 'cause there are too many that really stand out for me. It just depends on your taste.
I like both Neil Young and The Boss but I wouldn't necessarily put one above the other because I like them both.
And besides, for me, none of the newer bands can hold a candle to the classic rock bands of my time.

Neil Young is Canadian; he shouldn't even be discussed in this, otherwise we can just compare all of these bands above to the Stones and Beatles in which they would be better than every one of them.

lol Springsteen a good songwriter :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

leemajors
04-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Like I said, it is a matter of opinion. I like 'em both and I'm not from Jersey.

I like Pearl Jam too but no way they are in my top 10 list.
the last part was a joke in reference to td's earlier posts :lol

Condemned 2 HelLA
04-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Aerosmith are a band who need to start taking drugs again.
Since they've sobered up, their musical output is absolute shit.

midgetonadonkey
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Aerosmith are a band who need to start taking drugs again.
Since they've sobered up, their musical output is absolute shit.

I would say the same about Metallica.

midgetonadonkey
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM

The reason "The Boss" has been at it much longer is because he is like 15 years older than anyon in Pearl Jam. Just because he has been around longer doesn't make him better. Pearl Jam will have more records sold and more concert tickets sold than "The Boss" after he is dead in like 3 years.

As far greatness of song lyrics and musical content, I say Pearl Jam will forever be a greater musical band than Bruce Springsteen and the dude from the Conan O'Brien show. In the long run, they will pale in comparison.

manufor3
05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
i change mine to 3 doors down

possessed
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.tvksmp.pl/~mwolnik/horazon/morbid_angel_logo.jpg

kaponodynasty
05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
metallica