PDA

View Full Version : An Honor for Popovich (and an exercise in bad headline writing)

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Can someone really be a former grad? Won't he always be a graduate of the Academy?

Oh well, a nice honor for Pop; hadn't seen this posted here previously.

Air Force Academy to Honor Former Grad Popovich During Luncheon
Associated Press

Updated: April 3, 2008, 6:34 PM ET

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will receive the Air Force Academy's distinguished graduate award Friday.

Popovich, one of only five NBA coaches with four or more championship titles to their credit, will accept the award during a luncheon.

Popovich is a 1970 graduate of Air Force Academy, where he played basketball before serving nine years in the Air Force. He also spent six years as an assistant basketball coach at the school before heading to the NBA, where he's coached the Spurs for 11 years.

Under his direction, the Spurs have won NBA championship in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007.

The award is given to graduates based on their lifetime of achievement.

Phil Hellmuth
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I think you are right. Although, it could be used in the context of he did graduate earlier, even though, obviously there are better ways of saying it.

Let alone, it is an AP article, shame on them.

ClingingMars
04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
AP sucks at the news anyway, why should you be surprised?

-Mars

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 07:13 PM
The headline aside, it's a really, really nice honor for Pop.

ClingingMars
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
The headline aside, it's a really, really nice honor for Pop.

Indeed, one of my close friends just got into the Air Force Academy, extremely difficult to even get accepted

-Mars

WalterBenitez
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Congrats POP!!!

I promess to congrats you everytime you deserve :D

boutons_
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
yep, serious error. Try

"Air Force Academy to Honor Alumnus Greg Popovich '70 During Luncheon"

Too latinate for the dumbed down AP? How about something for the sports fans?

"Air Force Academy to Honor Coach Greg Popovich '70 During Luncheon"

congrats Pop.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
yep, serious error. Try

"Air Force Academy to Honor Alumnus Greg Popovich '70 During Luncheon"

Too latinate for the dumbed down AP? How about something for the sports fans?

"Air Force Academy to Honor Coach Greg Popovich '70 During Luncheon"

congrats Pop.

or even:

"Air Force Academy to Honor Graduate Popovich During Luncheon"

Solid D
04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Fixed

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will receive the Air Force Academy's Former Distinguished Graduate Award Friday.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Re-fixed.

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will receive the Air Force Academy's Distinguished Former Graduate Award Friday.

Solid D
04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
:lol To me, the former is less correct than the latter but the latter is less humorous than the former.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
:lol To me, the former is less correct than the latter but the latter is less humorous than the former.

:lol

Agreed absolutely!

raspsa
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I haven't read Pop's reaction to this honor but I'm willing to bet it will be typical Pop, humble and self-effacing.. he'll probably claim he's not deserving and would rather the honor go to some other grad in active service. C'mon Pop, you truly deserve it!