PDA

View Full Version : Spurs stomp Warriors (Nice Bruce Bowen Article)

greens
04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
I know this is old news...But I didn't see it posted anywhere, and this is a really good Bruce article. Actually, it was posted on April 2nd.

Spurs stomp Warriors
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040208.01C.BKNspurs.warriors.gamer.38c51d1.htm l

Web Posted: 04/02/2008 12:19 AM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News

Bruce Bowen had seen this from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich before.

The red face. The bulging vein. The flying expletives.

Bowen had seen this both in person, and on the Internet.

"He has quite a YouTube site," Bowen noted. :lol

Incensed that Bowen had stopped to complain to an official after Golden State's Baron Davis stripped him in the third quarter of the Spurs' 116-92 victory Tuesday, Popovich gave his starting forward a timeout tongue-lashing fit for HBO.

Popovich calls this "going Serbian." By the time he finished, Bowen must have felt like moving to Belgrade.

After serving two minutes in Popovich's penalty box, Bowen responded the way professionals do. He re-entered the game and promptly hit back-to-back 3-pointers to ignite a 19-0 run that doomed the Warriors to another defeat at the AT&T Center.

"I'm always on Bruce, and he always responds well," Popovich said. "He just plays harder and harder."

Spurs point guard Tony Parker, at home in the fast-paced game that remains a Warriors hallmark, had 26 points and seven assists. Taking advantage of another Golden State staple — a starting lineup Lilliputian by NBA standards — Tim Duncan tallied 17 points and 12 rebounds.

Neither played after the third quarter, as the Spurs (52-23) stretched their lead to 20 two minutes into the fourth.

The Spurs' eighth-straight victory allowed them to keep pace with top-seeded New Orleans in the Western Conference.

For the Warriors, it marked the 20th consecutive loss in San Antonio, a streak that predates Duncan's arrival. With it, Golden State (45-29) fell from eighth place in the West, ceding the spot to Denver after occupying it for less than 24 hours.

"I was surprised how fast the game got away from us," said Davis, who led the Warriors with 19 points. "The Spurs took off in a matter of two or three minutes."

The star of the game was the Spurs' defense, which kept the Warriors below 100 points for the first time in 38 games. Golden State shot just 37.5 percent from the field and, after putting up 34 points in the first quarter, had just 58 the rest of the way.

The Spurs' defense was especially unkind to Stephen Jackson and Monta Ellis, two prolific scorers key to a Warriors offense that leads the NBA.

Jackson finished with just six points, shooting 2 of 12 from the field. Ellis had 14 points but missed 11 of 16 shots.

"I think our defense caught up with them a bit," Duncan said.

Still, the Warriors lurked within 73-71 late in the third.

Moments earlier, Davis had separated Bowen from the ball near midcourt, and Bowen committed a sin. He paused long enough to grumble to a referee.

Davis blew the layup at the other end, but it didn't matter. Popovich soon called a timeout to unleash some Serbian, then removed Bowen from the game.

What happened next defines Bowen, just as it defines Popovich's relationship with his veteran players.

At the next dead ball, Bowen was back in the game. Seconds after re-entering, he let fly a 3-pointer from the left corner.

It swished, giving the Spurs a 78-73 edge with 2:01 left. Thirty-three seconds later, Bowen hit another 3-pointer.

By the time Golden State scored again, 21/2 minutes into the fourth, all it did was cut the Spurs' lead to 19.

"Just think if I handled it in the wrong way, thinking, 'Coach is tripping,'" Bowen said. "Then, when I go back in, now I'm no good to anyone."

By night's end, it appeared all was forgiven and forgotten.

Popovich praised Bowen. Bowen left the locker room smiling.

If he had just become a bit player in another Popovich YouTube chart-topper, he didn't seem to mind.

"Pop knows I respect him; he's our coach, and I love the man to death," Bowen said. "But as he goes Serbian ... you understand that if you sit back and sulk, there's something wrong with you." :clap

SenorSpur
04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Bruce is a true professional. There are so many lessons a young player can learn from this team of veteran pros.

greens
04-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Bruce is a true professional. There are so many lessons a young player can learn from this team of veteran pros.

I completely agree. He's just a very hard working guy. :clap