PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament

ploto
04-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Just what you have all been waiting for!

The remaining three men's berths for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games will be decided in this 12-team FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament that will feature the following participants: Cameroon and Cape Verde (Africa), Puerto Rico, Brazil and Canada (Americas), Lebanon and Korea (Asia), Greece, Germany, Croatia and Slovenia (Europe) and New Zealand (Oceania).

Group A: Brazil, Greece and Lebanon
Group B: Cape Verde, Germany and New Zealand
Group C: Canada, Korea and Slovenia
Group D: Cameroon, Croatia and Puerto Rico

Please note that all tip-off hours are local time in Athens, Greece.

Preliminary Round:

14th July 2008:

13:00 hours: New Zealand vs.Cape Verde
15:30 hours: Korea vs. Slovenia
19:30 hours: Croatia vs. Cameroon
22:00 hours: Greece vs. Lebanon

15th July 2008:

13:00 hours: Slovenia vs.Canada
15:30 hours: Cape Verde vs. Germany
19:30 hours: Cameroonvs. Puerto Rico
22:00 hours: Lebanonvs. Brazil

16th July 2008:

13:00 hours: Canada vs. Korea
15:30 hours: Puerto Rico vs. Croatia
19:30 hours: Germany vs. New Zealand
22:00 hours: Brazil vs. Greece

The teams placed 1st and 2nd in each group will advance to the Quarter-Finals; the teams placed 3rd in each group will be eliminated and may return home.

17th July 2008: Rest Day

Quarter-Finals:

18th July 2008:

Game 13: A1 vs. B2
Game 14: B1 vs. A2
Game 15: C1 vs. D2
Game 16: D1 vs. C2

The games of the Quarter-Finals will be played at 13:00 hours, 15:30 hours, 19:30 hours and 22:00 hours. The order of games will be confirmed after the end of the Preliminary Round.

Semi-Finals:

19th July 2008:

Game 17: Winner 13 vs. Winner 15
Game 18: Winner 14 vs. Winner 16

The Semi-Final games will be played at 19:00 hours and 21:30 hours. The order of games will be confirmed after the end of the Quarter-Finals.

The two winners of the Semi-Finals will qualify for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. The two losers will play the game for the 3rd place (Game 19 below) for one remaining Olympic spot.

Finals:

20th July 2008:

Game 19 (20:00 hours): Loser 17 vs. Loser 18

The winner will qualify for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/24002/arti.html

SlovenianGuy
04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Isn't it weird to have a tournament where there's no game for first place but there is a game for third place!?

DaDakota
04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Go GREECE !!!

Go V-Span.

Go Slovenia !!!

Go Boki.

DD

sribb43
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Here's to the Germans getting Chris Kaman added to the roster

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
It would be too funny to see Brazil fail to qualify in a tournament which includes such basketball powerhouses as Cape Verde, Lebanon, Korea and Cameroon.

They have a lot of potential, but their chemistry and attitude is more fucked up than those of the Knicks. Players don't respect the coaches and call the plays on their own, they quit the team or argue between themselves.

They have a possible great roster for FIBA standards, but somehow they keep messing it up:

Leandrinho
Marcelinho Machado
Alex Garcia
Marcelinho Huertas
Guilherme
Marcus Vinicius
Thiago Splitter
Nené
Anderson Varejao
Rafael Araujo

Pero
04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
why would it be funny? there's only 3 spots, and 4 pretty good euro teams plus puerto rico, new zeeland and canada aren't bad.

angel_luv
04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Finally!

I am so excited about this tournament! :)

Dajmo Slovenija! :cheer

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-05-2008, 01:00 AM
why would it be funny? there's only 3 spots, and 4 pretty good euro teams plus puerto rico, new zeeland and canada aren't bad.

Will Nash, Dalembert and Magloire play for Canada?

Puerto Rico has good players, but they have chemistry issues too. All their players want to have the ball and shoot. In the Americas tournament they were a lighter version of the Phoenix Suns, minus the inside scoring. And Carlos Arroyo isn't Steve Nash.

It would be funny because Brazil has a roster to compete for a medal in the Olympics, so imagine them missing the tournament in the first place. Did I mention that I'm Argentinian? :lol

My candidates are:
- Greece
- Slovenia
- Croatia

And of course Brazil, if somehow they manage to steady the ship and play as a team. Germany relies too much on what Dirk can do. New Zealand has good players, a cohesive unit and they give 100% in every game so they are the dark horses.

JK2
04-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Greece
Germany
Croatia or Slovenia

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Kakiouzis
Papaloukas
Dikoudis
Chatzivrettas
Papadopoulos

Are all not play as it be now for Greece.

Schortsanitis only will play if he lose 30 pound by then so he not play either
:blah

Team Greece will have use still probable best team in tournament by talent of players but this will be many younger player and less experience and also not play together before.

Kobayagi
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Home court advantage. Greece is in.

Only two spots up for grabs.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes Slovenia, Germany, Croatia, Brazil is fight for last 2 spots it should be.

alamo50
04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Kakiouzis
Papaloukas
Dikoudis
Chatzivrettas
Papadopoulos

Are all not play as it be now for Greece.

Schortsanitis only will play if he lose 30 pound by then so he not play either
:blah

Team Greece will have use still probable best team in tournament by talent of players but this will be many younger player and less experience and also not play together before.

World, welcome Kosta Koufos!

JK2
04-06-2008, 01:08 AM
given that Germany's biggest problem has always been their turnover prone center, they will definitely qualify for the Olympics if they can get Kaman. their frontcourt will be pretty amazing then
C Kaman
PF Nowitzki
SF Okulaja

Kobayagi
04-06-2008, 03:53 AM
I don't know anything about that, so fill me in. Has Kaman suddenly discovered his german roots or what?

Or is he just bored during off-season and feels like playing some international ball?

BgT
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
It would be funny because Brazil has a roster to compete for a medal in the Olympics
You can't be serious.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't know anything about that, so fill me in. Has Kaman suddenly discovered his german roots or what?

Or is he just bored during off-season and feels like playing some international ball?

Germany is try to get Diener and Kaman for Olympic team.

JK2
04-06-2008, 12:24 PM
they aren't interested in Diener and according to FIBA rules they couldn't have both of them on their team anyway.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
they aren't interested in Diener and according to FIBA rules they couldn't have both of them on their team anyway.

I not sure if this true because it depend on country rules. Team can have only one naturalize player but rules for what is consider naturalize player is base on country's own opinion of naturalize person.

Greece is country as example for you where every person born to Greek father or mother is Greek citizen. People even born within Greece country who not have Greek parent are not citizen.

Kobayagi
04-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Wasn't Rasho greek too? :lol

JK2
04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
it doesn't depend on "country rules". both Kaman and Diener are not German citizens and according to FIBA rules you can only have 1 naturalized player on your team. It's as simply as that.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
You can't be serious.

Leandrinho
Marcelinho Machado
Alex Garcia
Marcelinho Huertas
Guilherme
Marcus Vinicius
Thiago Splitter
Nené
Anderson Varejao
Rafael Araujo

That roster is pretty good for FIBA standards. They have speed, height, 3 point shooters, inside scoring, boards and defense in the paint. Problem is, their chemistry is fucked up, there's no team work and the whole management is a mess.

If those "little" issues are worked out, with the right draw and a bit of luck they could be contenders for a medal. If they qualify :lol

In other news, Argentina is falling apart. First Pepe Sanchez quits the NT, and now Walter Herrmann joins him. But well, as long as Manu, Nocioni, Scola and Oberto are there, we have a chance.

Kobayagi
04-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I agree with BgT. You can't be serious.

That's a decent roster but top 3 in the Olympics?!?!?

If twelve other teams are severely handicapped by injuries, maybe .... nah, still doubt it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Wasn't Rasho greek too? :lol

Yes Rasho, Peja, Jaric are all "Greek" :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
it doesn't depend on "country rules". both Kaman and Diener are not German citizens and according to FIBA rules you can only have 1 naturalized player on your team. It's as simply as that.

I explain to you there is exception. Some country do not have "citizen" but have thing calls "naturalize ancestry". I not think Germany is one but who know? Maybe they try cheat and change rules. You think only one player per team then how explain Nigeria and Qatar have 10 players on team not actual citizen?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Greece probable have team look maybe I take guess like so Big Sofo should be ready by actual tournament after qualify tournament.

PG Dimitrios Diamantidis/Nikos Zizis
SG Vassilis Spanoulis/Dimitrios Tsaldaris
SF Antonis Fotsis/Panayiotis Vasilopoulos
PF Kostas Tsartsaris/Ioannis Bouroussis/Giorgos Printezis
C Sofoklis Schortsanitis/Jake Tsakalidis/Loukas Mavrokefalidis

This mean very experience players of past like Kakiouzis, Chatzivrettas, Dikoudis and even Theo Papaloukas be replace by very inexperience ones like Tsaldaris, Printezis, Mavrokefalidis. Good young players but no experience on such level. Also no such player close to Papaloukas in replace group of players. :rolleyes

Tsakalidis probable replace Papadopoulos because Papa have make Greek team President mad. Tsakalidis is good for defense of paint area but is not as good C as Papa is. Sofo should have weight down good enough be ready but he will have maybe year and a half with no play time. He will be not used to play game at all. :blah

With this team Spanoulis must look for try score 25 point every game for team to medal. But even though many new player with no experience on such level this is still strong team I think.

FlAVaK
04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I´m from Germany, and the german media says, Kaman is tryin to get a german passport! That´s possible, because his grand-grandparents were german.

Kaman: "I can help Germany!"
http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_2199703.html

I don´t know about this "naturalizing"-thing, but I think he would be more german than J.R. Holden is russian, if u know what I mean...

Never heard about Diener playin for us over here!

For the Tournament, I think Germay has to face Brazil (they obviously try to avoid playin Greece). That would be cool, so I can get a look at Splitter in the Quarterfinals :)

BgT
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
That roster is pretty good for FIBA standards. They have speed, height, 3 point shooters, inside scoring, boards and defense in the paint. Problem is, their chemistry is fucked up, there's no team work and the whole management is a mess.

If those "little" issues are worked out, with the right draw and a bit of luck they could be contenders for a medal. If they qualify :lol
I think Slovenian team is stronger any time of the day.

angel_luv
04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
This is Slovenia's year. I really believe so.

endrity
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Slovenia has had a strong team for years now, yet somehow they fail to do anything in the tournaments. Are Udrih, Boki and Rasho playing this year?

I really think Greece, Germany, and Slovenia get in.
Greece, for obvious reasons. They have one of the strongest teams in the world.
Germany, for obvious reasons aka Dirk. He single handedly has taken them to medals in Euro and World Championships, he can do that in a qualifier. And with this year's version of Kamman, Germany suddenly looks like a medal candidate.
Slovenia has a great roster, and I think they are more compact as a team than Brazil is. Maybe if Splitter shows something, they can change that.

Texas_Ranger
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, does someone know what will be the Slovenian roster??

BgT
04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Salary value of players on Slovenian roster is third highest amongst all teams, that's a pretty impressive stat.
1. USA
2. Spain
3. Slovenia

Smodis is being payed 2.5M per season in Europe, Lakovic also almost 2M. Smodis is one of the top European power forwards, he was schooling Dirk last year. I think Dirk himself said, that Smodis is just phenomenal and could be one of the top PF's in NBA. I think that players playing in Europe are just underrated a bit compared to NBA players.

Slovenian roster will have these players for sure: Rasho, Nachbar, Udrih, Smodis, Becirovic, Lakovic, Slokar, Erazem Lorbek. I'm not sure about other players, it's going to be very hard to make the team.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Salary value of players on Slovenian roster is third highest amongst all teams, that's a pretty impressive stat.
1. USA
2. Spain
3. Slovenia

Smodis is being payed 2.5M per season in Europe, Lakovic also almost 2M. Smodis is one of the top European power forwards, he was schooling Dirk last year. I think Dirk himself said, that Smodis is just phenomenal and could be one of the top PF's in NBA. I think that players playing in Europe are just underrated a bit compared to NBA players.

Slovenian roster will have these players for sure: Rasho, Nachbar, Udrih, Smodis, Becirovic, Lakovic, Slokar, Erazem Lorbek. I'm not sure about other players, it's going to be very hard to make the team.

This is good team but these are just good players at Euroleague level not great players at this level.

JK2
04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Smodis is one of the top European power forwards, he was schooling Dirk last year. I think Dirk himself said, that Smodis is just phenomenal and could be one of the top PF's in NBA.
wtf are you talking about? Smodis is a decent player but he did not school Dirk last year. Get the facts straight.

BgT
04-07-2008, 04:44 PM
wtf are you talking about? Smodis is a decent player but he did not school Dirk last year. Get the facts straight.
I'm not arguing with you. He was the winner of the duel. Be a nice kid and swallow it.

This is good team but these are just good players at Euroleague level not great players at this level.
What's your point? What's the "but" about?

JK2
04-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not arguing with you. He was the winner of the duel. Be a nice kid and swallow it.
you're not arguing because you know you're a liar.

BgT
04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
you're not arguing because you know you're a liar.
:dramaquee Relieve yourself in front of your Dirk megajumbo poster, kid.

Kobayagi
04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
What's your point? What's the "but" about?

Maybe he's trying to say that "Euroleague level" is way below WC level. :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I mean at this level is Olympics Slovenia will not medal with such players. Not with teams like US, Argentina, Lithuania, Spain, Greece maybe even Russia.

Kobayagi
04-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Who said we are medal contenders???

Do we have good players? Yes. Are we gonna win the medal? No way.

I'll be happy if we qualify and do our best in Beijing, that's all. I'm well aware of our limits. :toast

endrity
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Their quality is right there with any team other than the US. But talent alone isn;t enough in international ball. Becirovic, Lakovic are pretty good players too.

A Kamman - Dirk frontline though would be pretty tough to handle for any team. They really complement each other well.

urunobili
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Argentina should nationalize a starting PG for the olympic tournament... who would u like? my take... Andre Miller

endrity
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
^ Deron wiliams

urunobili
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
^ Deron wiliams
he is not applicable as he already dressed the US jersey in official matches.. otherwise Duncan would play for the US Virgin islands with Raja Bell... choose one that could make it.... CP3, Arenas, Kidd, AI, D-Will can't make it... so Andre Miller is the best option out there...

endrity
04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Didn't Miller play in the 02 WCH for US? Plus when did williams play for the US? I know CP3 did, but when did Williams?

Just go for TJ Ford then, same team with Deflino so might convince him.

urunobili
04-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Didn't Miller play in the 02 WCH for US? Plus when did williams play for the US? I know CP3 did, but when did Williams?

Just go for TJ Ford then, same team with Deflino so might convince him.
where were you last summer in the Olympic qualifying tournament? Williams was there... didn't know that about Andre Miller... TJ ford is a ball hog that the golden generation doesn't need... as porta is injured i think Matias Nocedal should be given the opportunity... otherwise... i dunno Jacque Vaughn maybe? :depressed

Kobayagi
04-07-2008, 08:34 PM
What about chauncey, Bibby, Skip to my Lou?

Kobayagi
04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Smodis is just phenomenal and could be one of the top PF's in NBA.

No offense, I love Smodis but you can't say that about a guy whose rebounding ability is almost non-existent. If you wanna be PF, this should be one of your strong points.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
where were you last summer in the Olympic qualifying tournament? Williams was there... didn't know that about Andre Miller... TJ ford is a ball hog that the golden generation doesn't need... as porta is injured i think Matias Nocedal should be given the opportunity... otherwise... i dunno Jacque Vaughn maybe? :depressed

Shut up. What we don't need is damn bandwagoner naturalized fans :lol

For the point guard, there are several options. Obviously Prigioni is a lock for Pepe's place. Porta would be the first one for the back up spot, because of his performance in last year's Americas Tournament, but currently he is struggling with injuries.

Gianella may have a chance too if Porta isn't fit when the Olympics come. Nocedal is the future, but I'm not too keen on taking him to Beijing, because he would be the 3rd point guard, and that would be a wasted spot in a roster with Delfino, Manu and Quinteros being able to play the point. There are other young options like Figueroa, Treise, López Tamborini and Cequeira, but I doubt that Hernandez will give them such a burden in their first tournament. They'll probably be called for the next South American Tournament or the Panamerican games.

Pepe is harder to replace, but there are more players too choose from. It's hard to find a player that could bring what Walter did. A long, athletic 3, who can shoot from the outside, rebound and play as PF? Good luck with that one, Hernandez. The only one I can think with those attributes is already there, Nocioni.

urunobili
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Shut up. What we don't need is damn bandwagoner naturalized fans :lol challenge my knowledge about the golden generation bitch and bandwagon my ass i have always rooted for Argentina not like the rest of the Uruguayans that suck Brazil balls just for the fun of pissing you off...

For the point guard, there are several options. Obviously Prigioni is a lock for Pepe's place. Porta would be the first one for the back up spot, because of his performance in last year's Americas Tournament, but currently he is struggling with injuries.

Gianella may have a chance too if Porta isn't fit when the Olympics come. Nocedal is the future, but I'm not too keen on taking him to Beijing, because he would be the 3rd point guard, and that would be a wasted spot in a roster with Delfino, Manu and Quinteros being able to play the point. There are other young options like Figueroa, Treise, López Tamborini and Cequeira, but I doubt that Hernandez will give them such a burden in their first tournament. They'll probably be called for the next South American Tournament or the Panamerican games. Gianella sucks and as you said Manu Quinteros and Delfino playing some point i would take Nocedal just for the sake of start getting more big time tournaments competition experience...

Pepe is harder to replace, but there are more players too choose from. It's hard to find a player that could bring what Walter did. A long, athletic 3, who can shoot from the outside, rebound and play as PF? Good luck with that one, Hernandez. The only one I can think with those attributes is already there, Nocioni. i think a long 3 could be naturalized... BUT i think Kammerichs will get the notch on top on anyone...

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
challenge my knowledge about the golden generation bitch and bandwagon my ass i have always rooted for Argentina not like the rest of the Uruguayans that suck Brazil balls just for the fun of pissing you off...

Chill, I was just joking.

Gianella sucks and as you said Manu Quinteros and Delfino playing some point i would take Nocedal just for the sake of start getting more big time tournaments competition experience...

It is a good chance, but Nocedal should have played any other tournament before this one. There's too much pressure in this tournament, one bad game and you're out. However, he could be considered, given that Manu isn't likely to play the point (with his minutes at SG, he will need rest). And I don't trust to run the offense through Delfino, there's the chance of a mental breakdown in any moment. Quinteros can play the point, but in the PG he 's more like Montecchia, a 3 point threat, rather than a pure playmaker.

i think a long 3 could be naturalized... BUT i think Kammerichs will get the notch on top on anyone...

Probably, but Kammerichs is kind of a dissapointment in my point of view. He had a lot more of potential that what he has achieved so far.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
There's Hernan Jasen, too, but he's more like a long 2 and a small 3.

Kibic
04-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I mean at this level is Olympics Slovenia will not medal with such players. Not with teams like US, Argentina, Lithuania, Spain, Greece maybe even Russia.
You are probably from Greece? :) Do you remember last year's game Slovenija:Greece? How would you define "at level"?

In that win, was there any luck on Greece team?

alamo50
04-08-2008, 03:23 AM
I´m from Germany, and the german media says, Kaman is tryin to get a german passport! That´s possible, because his grand-grandparents were german.

Kaman: "I can help Germany!"
http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_2199703.html

I don´t know about this "naturalizing"-thing, but I think he would be more german than J.R. Holden is russian, if u know what I mean...

Never heard about Diener playin for us over here!

Sad.............realy.

ata
04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Slovenian roster
Lakovic/Capin
Becirovic/Dragic
Nachbar/D. Lorbek/Preldzic
Smodis/E. Lorbek/Vidmar
Nesterovic/Slokar

I don't want to see Udrih anywhere near the national selection.

If Jagodnik will be able to play, I'd try to make room for him, depends on his shape etc.

velik_m
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Slovenian roster
Lakovic/Capin
Becirovic/Dragic
Nachbar/D. Lorbek/Preldzic
Smodis/E. Lorbek/Vidmar
Nesterovic/Slokar

I don't want to see Udrih anywhere near the national selection.

If Jagodnik will be able to play, I'd try to make room for him, depends on his shape etc.

You can't have both Preldzic and Capin.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
You are probably from Greece? :) Do you remember last year's game Slovenija:Greece? How would you define "at level"?

In that win, was there any luck on Greece team?

You realize our team have key injuries right? Also like say we are not send same team to Olympic. We will try send best possible team and hope not have such key injuries this time. It depend on Papaloukas all report say he not want play but this is make many Greeks mad. If we get him to play we can send best Greek team ever. We have ability send 2nd most talent team of all it just depend if Papaloukas can play.

It similar as Lithuania can send very great team if they just get all best players to play. Even though Greece cannot send 12 best players because many of best Greek players already refuse go we can still send 2nd most talent team if Papaloukas agree to play.

Other country not realize Greece is one of country like US that many of best player not even compete with national team.

endrity
04-08-2008, 10:14 AM
What other players don't compete for Greece?

I don't think you are relying on Jake Tsakalidis to change your fortunes are you? Papaloukas and Diamantidis are the most talented Greek players. If they play, than I don't know who is hiding from the Greek national team. Schortsanidis is out of shape, not unwilling to play.

Kobayagi
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Yeah, fuck those naturalized players. If we have naturalized players on our team, we might as well go after someone like Jason Richardson or maybe Caron Butler. We could use a player like those two and I don't think they played for USA yet. :king

ata
04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Missed that both are naturalized :bang

Who than instead of Preldzic?

Kobayagi
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Doncic...we could use a human victory cigar for all those blowouts we're gonna have :smokin

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
What other players don't compete for Greece?

I don't think you are relying on Jake Tsakalidis to change your fortunes are you? Papaloukas and Diamantidis are the most talented Greek players. If they play, than I don't know who is hiding from the Greek national team. Schortsanidis is out of shape, not unwilling to play.

Spanoulis is much better player than Diamantidis and he is better than Papaloukas also. Spanoulis is key player of team. Also Tsakalidis is just average player in Greek league level he might play in Olympic not sure because many open spot but Tsakalidis is not one of 12 best Greek players.

Even the coach and Diamantidis and Papaloukas have admit in press Spanoulis is best player of team.

There are many good Greek players who will not play in Olympics and also many good Greek player who have not even be on national team in recent competition. Also many of best Greek players have not even play on senior team yet. Like say other country not realize we have many other players capable of this level. Main thing depend on how coach Giannakis decide make team.

He do not allow player on team if they will not play 100% effort on defense. So many of best Greek player have not got invite to team. We will see if he change thing because now since many of players quit team there be many open roster spot now.

Kibic
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Spanoulis is much better player than Diamantidis and he is better than Papaloukas also. Spanoulis is key player of team. Also Tsakalidis is just average player in Greek league level he might play in Olympic not sure because many open spot but Tsakalidis is not one of 12 best Greek players.

Even the coach and Diamantidis and Papaloukas have admit in press Spanoulis is best player of team.

There are many good Greek players who will not play in Olympics and also many good Greek player who have not even be on national team in recent competition. Also many of best Greek players have not even play on senior team yet. Like say other country not realize we have many other players capable of this level. Main thing depend on how coach Giannakis decide make team.

He do not allow player on team if they will not play 100% effort on defense. So many of best Greek player have not got invite to team. We will see if he change thing because now since many of players quit team there be many open roster spot now.
How can players be "best" if even coach will not invite them? :) If Greece would have so many "best" players I would expect at least 2 Greek team on final four of Euroleague. But there are not even 1 in best 8 Euroleague teams? Even if in their teams play a lot of foreign players. And at the end, Spanoulis as the "best" Greek player couldn't even stay in NBA! That fact alone said everything about the power of Greece.

endrity
04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
But Billy is still playing for Greece. So there is no one that is hiding from the national team as you said. It's just some talented players, who maybe are not really good to make it to the team.

BTW I disagee with Kibic. The number of players in the NBA means nothing in international ball. Greece had none when the beat the US. Same for Lithuania (they had Songaila I think, but neither Kleiza nor Ilgauskas played for them then). Neither did Argentina in 02. If it was all about NBA players France and Serbia would win every competition after the US. Internationall ball is different, and players can be good without having to be the athlete that you are required to be in order to play in the NBA.

FTW I still think Spannoulis has a future in the NBA, so does Schortsanidis if he ever loses some of his weight (I mean Baby Davis is playing for the Cs right now, and he has maybe half the talent of Sofoklis). Diamantidis and Papoloukas could have if they came over as young players, but they liked their star status too much in Europe. If Vujacic is called gritty now in the NBA, I can't imagine what a player of Diamintidis' defensive abilities would be called.

Kibic
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
But Billy is still playing for Greece. So there is no one that is hiding from the national team as you said. It's just some talented players, who maybe are not really good to make it to the team.

BTW I disagee with Kibic. The number of players in the NBA means nothing in international ball. Greece had none when the beat the US. Same for Lithuania (they had Songaila I think, but neither Kleiza nor Ilgauskas played for them then). Neither did Argentina in 02. If it was all about NBA players France and Serbia would win every competition after the US. Internationall ball is different, and players can be good without having to be the athlete that you are required to be in order to play in the NBA.

FTW I still think Spannoulis has a future in the NBA, so does Schortsanidis if he ever loses some of his weight (I mean Baby Davis is playing for the Cs right now, and he has maybe half the talent of Sofoklis). Diamantidis and Papoloukas could have if they came over as young players, but they liked their star status too much in Europe. If Vujacic is called gritty now in the NBA, I can't imagine what a player of Diamintidis' defensive abilities would be called.
I agree almost completely with you. I didn't mean that number of NBA players mean a lot in international BB. I am not Greek but I was very proud an happy when Greece beat USA team full of NBA stars. I just say that Spanoulis can not win Olympics more than let say Manu for ARG, Dirk for GER, Rasho, Beno, Nachbar, Smodiš....for SLO :). It is just sport and just a game. Today you win tomorrow you may lose. There is nothing for shore. To me it looks like...I am not shore Greece would win 6 out of 10 against Slovenia. Are you?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I agree almost completely with you. I didn't mean that number of NBA players mean a lot in international BB. I am not Greek but I was very proud an happy when Greece beat USA team full of NBA stars. I just say that Spanoulis can not win Olympics more than let say Manu for ARG, Dirk for GER, Rasho, Beno, Nachbar, Smodiš....for SLO :). It is just sport and just a game. Today you win tomorrow you may lose. There is nothing for shore. To me it looks like...I am not shore Greece would win 6 out of 10 against Slovenia. Are you?

This is probable best team we can send of players available play since about half of best Greek players is not available.

PG Spanoulis/Zisis
SG Diamantidis/Papaloukas
SF Fotsis/Perperoglou/Vasilopoulos
PF Bouroussis/Tsartsaris/Printezis
C Sofoklis/Papadopoulos

I respect Slovenia team very much but if we send type of team like this Greece is much better team than Slovenia. But Slovenia have good chance to qualify.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-08-2008, 02:09 PM

There is Greek players that can play for Greece under rules like

Kosta Koufos
Pat Calathes
Nick Calathes
Mike Batiste
Andreas Glyniadakis
Michalis Pelekanos
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Michalis Kakiuozis
Dimos Dikoudis
Nikos Chatzivrettas
Dimitris Papanikolou
Jake Tsakalidis
Nikos Pappas
Kostas Vassileiades
Dimitris Verginis
Panagiotis Liadelis
Dusan Sakota
Vasilis Xanthopoulos
Ian Vouyoukas
Prodromos Nikolaidis
Christos Tapoutos
Dimitris Tsaldaris

and player such as these that most Europe teams probable will be have on their national team.

SlovenianGuy
04-09-2008, 02:19 AM
I can only hope that Makris won't play for Greece. He's tall, an excellent defender and is playing out of his mind in the last month or two. :smokin

Kibic
04-09-2008, 11:27 AM
There is Greek players that can play for Greece under rules like

Kosta Koufos
Pat Calathes
Nick Calathes
Mike Batiste
Andreas Glyniadakis
Michalis Pelekanos
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Michalis Kakiuozis
Dimos Dikoudis
Nikos Chatzivrettas
Dimitris Papanikolou
Jake Tsakalidis
Nikos Pappas
Kostas Vassileiades
Dimitris Verginis
Panagiotis Liadelis
Dusan Sakota
Vasilis Xanthopoulos
Ian Vouyoukas
Prodromos Nikolaidis
Christos Tapoutos
Dimitris Tsaldaris

and player such as these that most Europe teams probable will be have on their national team.
Not team can have 22 players on their roster.

velik_m
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I can only hope that Makris won't play for Greece. He's tall, an excellent defender and is playing out of his mind in the last month or two. :smokin

Makris sucks. What did he ever do for Greece?

:fro

ata
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
He can't, because he already played for another national team. Same applies to Kinis.