PDA

View Full Version : legal advice...

blizz
04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
so i was just threatened with a lawsuit for allegedly recruiting ALL of my former employer's techniciancs when in reality, all i did was ask TWO of them to put my name down as a referral when they went to a job fair they already knew about. only one actually went. so my question is this....what the hell can i be sued for?? i have absolutely NO referrals to my name...and have not told anyone at my place of employment about anyone and certainly have not fowarded any resumes. it's my opinion, that people at this place hate where they work and are looking for work because their job sucks, and the owner cannot fathom this and needs an excuse.......me.

Mr. Peabody
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
so i was just threatened with a lawsuit for allegedly recruiting ALL of my former employer's techniciancs when in reality, all i did was ask TWO of them to put my name down as a referral when they went to a job fair they already knew about. only one actually went. so my question is this....what the hell can i be sued for?? i have absolutely NO referrals to my name...and have not told anyone at my place of employment about anyone and certainly have not fowarded any resumes. it's my opinion, that people at this place hate where they work and are looking for work because their job sucks, and the owner cannot fathom this and needs an excuse.......me.

Well, if you had an employment agreement that contained a non-compete/non-solicitation clause, you could be sued for breach of contract. Other than that, you may be looking at tortious interference with a contract. In my opinion, it's unlikely that anything comes of this.

BacktoBasics
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91093&page=1&pp=26

blizz
04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
even if all i did was ask two people to use my name as a referrence on their application? they already knew about the fair....and one guy didn't even go.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91093&page=1&pp=26

:lol :lol :lol

blizz
04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
yeah..that was good.

Mr. Peabody
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
even if all i did was ask two people to use my name as a referrence on their application? they already knew about the fair....and one guy didn't even go.

Without knowing the specifics of your former employment situation, I can't give you a very solid answer. But like I said, your former employer would have to allege that you violated the terms of an employment agreement containing a non-solicitation clause or allege tortious interference with contract. I think both are unlikely.

Did you even have an employment agreement?

katyon6th
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Yes. As Mr. Peabody said, if you signed a non-compete with your previous employer, you more than likely breached the contract. I doubt they'd file a lawsuit, otherwise.

Sounds like you're pretty much screwed.

:spin

katyon6th
04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Hopefully you end up on People's Court or something. That would be pretty awesome.

Good 'N Plenty
04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Call a lawyer.

Mr. Peabody
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes. As Mr. Peabody said, if you signed a non-compete with your previous employer, you more than likely breached the contract. I doubt they'd file a lawsuit, otherwise.

Sounds like you're pretty much screwed.

:spin

I doubt it. Most people in Texas work without employment agreements. Plus, the courts have been hesitant to enforce non-compete/non-solicitation clauses because they are restraints on trade. His employer would be wasting his money and time pursuing a cause of action on something like this.

clambake
04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
you really got under the skin of your ex-employer.

Kudos.

ididnotnothat
04-04-2008, 02:44 PM
It is just a threat. You should be fine unless you signed something upon dismissal.

katyon6th
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I doubt it. Most people in Texas work without employment agreements. Plus, the courts have been hesitant to enforce non-compete/non-solicitation clauses because they are restraints on trade. His employer would be wasting his money and time pursuing a cause of action on something like this.

I was kidding about him being screwed.

The company I work for now and the company I worked for previously both have non-competes in place. If I did what blizz did, I would be under breach of both contracts.

Mr. Peabody
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
It is just a threat. You should be fine unless you signed something upon dismissal.

Even that wouldn't be enough. An non-solicitation clause has to be part of another agreement, which is why they are usually incorporated into an employment agreement. Plus, you have to receive something of value in return for your agreement not to solicit co-workers. As such, signing a document upon dismissal really doesn't provide any protection to the employer.

The law in this area lays out a fairly specific procedure that has to have taken place for such a clause to be enforceable. Unless your employer had an attorney guiding him through the procedure, chances are he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

BacktoBasics
04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
To pursue what? Are you loaded? Is your client list deep and your company size a legitimate threat?

Breach of contracts like this are pretty diffucult to resolve and can be costly, unless you blatantly dick them over and are a serious threat to the companies bottom line. If they don't stand to claim a bundle I don't see the value in dicking with it.

Sometimes people talk to simply hear themselves talk. I wouldn't be worried. Its not as if there is a massive paper trail leading to your front door.

Mr. Peabody
04-04-2008, 03:00 PM
I was kidding about him being screwed.

The company I work for now and the company I worked for previously both have non-competes in place. If I did what blizz did, I would be under breach of both contracts.

Yeah, a lot of companies have them in place nowadays. It used to be the case that the clauses where damn near unenforceable in all but the most egregious of circumstances, but the law has since changed. Now such clauses are easier to enforce, but it's still not a given that any single clause will be enforceable.

katyon6th
04-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, a lot of companies have them in place nowadays. It used to be the case that the clauses where damn near unenforceable in all but the most egregious of circumstances, but the law has since changed. Now such clauses are easier to enforce, but it's still not a given that any single clause will be enforceable.

Are you SpursTalk's general counsel or what? You sound like you know what you're talking about. It's kind of hot.

blizz
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not loaded, I was a contract worker and did sign a non-compete clause. I just found out more details. Apparently, a guy there (who I don't even know) is getting hired at the place I work and they know about it, and another one is leaving to go somewhere else. One of the guys that I know there told the guy I don't know to put my name as a referral, which he may or may not have done...in any case...how can that be my fault? The place I work now held a city wide job fair that everyone knew about and I asked one guy to put my name down as a referral since he was going already. I think it would be really hard to prove anything and I doubt he has the time/money to go through with it. Besides, with all the shady things this place did, I can drag their name through the mud and wouldn't have a hard time finding people (clients/ex-clients) to back me up.

Mr. Peabody
04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Are you SpursTalk's general counsel or what?

:lol I think that title belongs to FWD.

Beno Udrih
04-04-2008, 10:50 PM
This whole thread is making me horny

Nbadan
04-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Non-solicitation (non-raiding):A non-solicitation clause, also known as a non-raiding clause, is intended to restrict an individual's ability to hire or recruit his former co-workers. If the covenant is interpreted to be a restraint on trade, some Texas courts have required non-solicitation clauses to be analyzed like a non-compete (requiring that it be ancillary to an otherwise enforceable agreement and be reasonably limited in scope)...

If you believe you have an issue regarding a non-compete agreement, you should consult competent legal counsel. No Attorney-Client relationship is created unless and until they formally accept representation of you.

Beno Udrih
04-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Wheres the Texas Hammer when you need him?

The sone
04-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Wheres the Texas Hammer when you need him?

I prefer the "Mexican Martio", for those who speak espanola...