PDA

View Full Version : Can't Take The NBA MVP Seriously Anymore

duncan228
04-04-2008, 02:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080404&sportCat=nba

Can't take the NBA MVP seriously anymore
By Jemele Hill

What movie did Al Pacino win Best Actor for?

(a) "Scarface"
(b) "Dog Day Afternoon"
(c) "The Godfather"
(d) "The Godfather: Part II"
(e) None of the above, because Academy Award voters are stupid

Pacino, a seven-time Oscar nominee, finally won Best Actor in 1992 for "Scent of a Woman." To date, it's Pacino's only Oscar, and any Pacino fan will tell you that seeing him win for "Scent of a Woman" was like seeing Ice Cube for the first time without his jheri curl. It just wasn't right. It didn't make sense. And you felt cheated.

Sadly, the NBA MVP race has become just as warped and backwards as the Academy Awards. The definition of MVP seems to change every year, and all too often players are rewarded for sentimental reasons and discredited using other ludicrous rationales.

It's no different this season, which somehow universally came to be known as "Kobe's year," even if the Lakers don't finish with the top seed in the Western Conference.

I'm sorry, but that's absurd. No question, Kobe has put up some unbelievable numbers this season. But if New Orleans finishes first in the West and Chris Paul doesn't win the MVP, this award officially can't be taken seriously.

It would be criminal to overlook one of the most brilliant seasons a point guard has ever had. Paul averaged 24 points, 13 assists and nearly 3 steals per game in March. In fact, he's on the verge of becoming the first point guard since John Stockton to lead the league in both assists and steals in the same season. Nobody expected anything from the Hornets, and they're poised to win perhaps the most competitive conference we've ever seen in the NBA.

That's the very definition of MVP -- individual brilliance coinciding with team success. I'm a Kobe supporter, and I still stand by my assertion that Kobe is a more skilled player than Michael Jordan was. But giving Kobe the MVP just because "it's his time" or "he's learned to be a team player" is a disservice.

This is what has become most frustrating about the evolution of the MVP race. Over time, merit has become less of a factor.

In the 1996-97 season, the MVP was thrown in Karl Malone's lap strictly because voters seemed sick of giving it to Michael Jordan, who won the MVP five times. Before that, the benefactor of ABJ (Anybody But Jordan) was Charles Barkley, who was named the MVP for the 1992-93 season even though Jordan averaged 32 points, 6.7 assists and 5.5 rebounds.

LeBron James probably didn't get the consideration he deserved last season because of the "he has plenty of time to win an MVP" argument.

Two-time MVP winner Tim Duncan should have gotten stronger consideration last season, too. But Duncan is the NBA's version of Russell Crowe. After Crowe won Best Actor for "Gladiator," the Academy overlooked him for both "The Insider" and "A "Beautiful Mind." Crowe won't win another one because he's too consistently good. Same goes for Duncan.

And only in the NBA could Shaq, the most dominant center of all time, have one MVP while Steve Nash, who has never gotten his team to the NBA Finals, has two.

That's why it's difficult to argue against Kobe, knowing he was cheated out of at least one MVP -- the one Dirk Nowitzki shamelessly won last season.

But while Kobe's renewed commitment to team ball makes for a cute catchphrase, it's a misnomer. Obviously Kobe has matured, but he's a better teammate primarily because he's got a fellow All-Star in Pau Gasol, a deeper, more skilled bench, and an emerging star in Andrew Bynum. Teamwork becomes much easier when your teammates can actually do something with the ball.

Which brings me to another frustrating element of the MVP race. Why are good players considered stronger MVP candidates when they have more help? (See: Kevin Garnett, the 2003-04 MVP.) Isn't the concept of "value" based on doing more with less?

That should be the only criteria. And if it is, Paul is the MVP over Kobe, LeBron and KG. LeBron has had a fine season, and he certainly ranks high in the value department, but Cleveland's team success isn't significant enough to warrant LeBron winning. KG's presence transformed the Celtics, but it certainly helps that he has All-Star security blankets Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.

But, if recent MVP races are any indication, politics will win again.

So congrats, Kobe.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Jesus. I fucking hate Jemele Hill.

1984. F. Murray Abraham rocked ass and deserved the Oscar. Why the fuck would he have won for the Godfather? Are you that f-ing stupid Jemele Hill? Network kicked all kinds of ass in '76 and there is no way in hell Al's going to get the award for a character he was reproducing in a sequel. Go to hell Jemele Hill. Write about racism. It's all you're good at. And The Insider came before Gladiator...

But seriously...I totally agree with the rest of the article.

DAF86
04-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Great article. Suns and Mavs fans won't be happy with this :lol

Deimosfobos
04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I have to say... I agree with this guy 100%, even regarding Russell Crow!

Shaolin-Style
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't care if the Hornets don't even finish first, Chris Paul should get it regardless for making that team that good. People always are saying its Kobes year hes deserved it for a while...that argument doesn't work for me. Hell I'd go as far as to say KG deserves it more even than Kobe.

smeagol
04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree with most of what the guy says.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.futureofthebook.org/sivavaidhyanathan/archives/jemelehill.jpg

He's a she.

DAF86
04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Is she's reggie miller's sister?... forget what i said i was confused

duncan228
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
He's a she.

:lmao

Only in a thread I start.

Supergirl
04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
"That's the very definition of MVP -- individual brilliance coinciding with team success."

This could be said about KG, too, who I think should edge out Paul for the MVP, personally. I agree it should not go to Kobe or Lebron, however. Kobe has had too much help, even with all the injuries, and Lebron has no help but his team has been mediocre at best.

41times
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
LeBron or Kobe should be the MVP. period.

Without them neither one of their respective teams would win 30 freaking games. Hell Cleveland might not win 25 and they are in the EAST!

Beyond that it's CP3.

DarrinS
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't care for Jemele Hill's articles, but I do agree that Chris Paul deserves MVP.

Allanon
04-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Kobe - Adversity galore, this was supposed to be a lottery season in the summer, broken finger, injuries to 2 starters. Lakers would be a lottery team without him. Kobe wins MVP as long as Hornets aren't #1. If Lakers grab the #1 seed, MVP race is over and congrats to a deserving Kobe.

Chris Paul - Amazing Season, no adversity, healthy team all year hurts his chances against Kobe, should only get MVP if he stays with #1 seed. Hornets would be nothing without him.

KG plays in the East. Celtics would still be a good team even without KG. Fails the "carry the team on his back" criteria.

LeBron, he's not winning. MVPs must win.

remingtonbo2001
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I thought Peja was out during the beginning of the season.

duncan228
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I thought Peja was out during the beginning of the season.

It looks like he was out 5 games in December.

DAF86
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Kobe - Adversity galore, this was supposed to be a lottery season in the summer, broken finger, injuries to 2 starters. Lakers would be a lottery team without him. Kobe wins MVP as long as Hornets aren't #1. If Lakers grab the #1 seed, MVP race is over and congrats to a deserving Kobe.

Chris Paul - Amazing Season, no adversity, healthy team all year hurts his chances against Kobe, should only get MVP if he stays with #1 seed. Hornets would be nothing without him.

KG plays in the East. Celtics would still be a good team even without KG. Fails the "carry the team on his back" criteria.

LeBron, he's not winning. MVPs must win.

New Orleans without Paul would also be a lottery team but they're 1st in the west with him, so for me is a no brainer.

phxspurfan
04-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I think it's between Kobe and CP3. The fact that CP3 is having a statistically great season for a PG shouldn't mean much. If stats weighed that heavily, we would see some really bad MVPs throughout history, like a Stackhouse or a Dominique Wilkins.

MVP is about contributing to your team's success in a way no other player can. I would put Kobe atop that list because he is that team's heart, soul and closer. No one can argue that any other player on that team affects its chances more than KB24.

If Kobe opted to have surgery on that pinkie (which no one could fault him for in their right mind), his career would not be threatened like it is now, playing with a shredded finger. My case in point is if Kobe were on the DL right now, we wouldn't even be talking about playoff chances for the Lakers, much less their entry into the 'Championship Contender' conversation. That's what an MVP does for a team.

ambchang
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
The same reason she bags on Dirk's MVP last season is the exact same reason she is giving the award to CP3.

I have no problems with who people actually vote for, but at least be consistent with your argument. If you are are saying that individual brilliance + team success = MVP, Nowitzki deserved it last year. He put up amazing stats and the Mavs won 67 games.

DAF86
04-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I think it's between Kobe and CP3. The fact that CP3 is having a statistically great season for a PG shouldn't mean much. If stats weighed that heavily, we would see some really bad MVPs throughout history, like a Stackhouse or a Dominique Wilkins.

MVP is about contributing to your team's success in a way no other player can. I would put Kobe atop that list because he is that team's heart, soul and closer. No one can argue that any other player on that team affects its chances more than KB24.

If Kobe opted to have surgery on that pinkie (which no one could fault him for in their right mind), his career would not be threatened like it is now, playing with a shredded finger. My case in point is if Kobe were on the DL right now, we wouldn't even be talking about playoff chances for the Lakers, much less their entry into the 'Championship Contender' conversation. That's what an MVP does for a team.

Paul's importance to the hornets=Kobe's importance to the lakers

DarrinS
04-04-2008, 03:22 PM
The same reason she bags on Dirk's MVP last season is the exact same reason she is giving the award to CP3.

I have no problems with who people actually vote for, but at least be consistent with your argument. If you are are saying that individual brilliance + team success = MVP, Nowitzki deserved it last year. He put up amazing stats and the Mavs won 67 games.

Dirk did deserve it last season. Nobody knew the Mavs were going to choke like that?

It's like when DRob one it in 1995 and then got schooled by Hakeem.

MoSpur
04-04-2008, 03:23 PM
To me its a tie between Kobe and Paul. The Lakers are nothing w/out Kobe and same for the Hornets. Those two could go to another team in the dumps and easily turn that team around.

DAF86
04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Paul's stats this season are better than Dirk's stats last season. And for me the Mavs last season without Dirk would have made the postseason the hornets without Paul this season would be a lottery team.

DazedAndConfused
04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Kobe is going to get it barring a major collapse by the Lakers. I would say Paul and Bryant are equally deserving of it, Kobe will get the nod simply because he has not gotten one yet and will be seen as more deserving of it this season.

DarrinS
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Any chances of CP3 and Kobe being co-MVP's like they did with McNair and Manning?

Cry Havoc
04-04-2008, 04:03 PM
To me its a tie between Kobe and Paul. The Lakers are nothing w/out Kobe and same for the Hornets. Those two could go to another team in the dumps and easily turn that team around.

I would hate to see the Cavs without LeBron, using that reference. I think that the Lakers without Kobe and the Hornets without Paul are much better teams than the Cavs without LeBron.

Galileo
04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Tim Duncan gest the MVP, if this happens:

1) Spurs, best record in West.

2) Duncan averages over 20 points per game.

3) Duncan averages over 10 rebounds per game.

4) Duncan averages over 2 blocks per game.

5) Duncan shoots 50% from the field.

6) Duncan leads Spurs in scoring.

lefty
04-04-2008, 05:38 PM

1984. F. Murray Abraham rocked ass and deserved the Oscar. Why the fuck would he have won for the Godfather? Are you that f-ing stupid Jemele Hill? Network kicked all kinds of ass in '76 and there is no way in hell Al's going to get the award for a character he was reproducing in a sequel. Go to hell Jemele Hill. Write about racism. It's all you're good at. And The Insider came before Gladiator...

But seriously...I totally agree with the rest of the article.

Me too

DarrinS
04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Tim Duncan gest the MVP, if this happens:

1) Spurs, best record in West.

2) Duncan averages over 20 points per game.

3) Duncan averages over 10 rebounds per game.

4) Duncan averages over 2 blocks per game.

5) Duncan shoots 50% from the field.

6) Duncan leads Spurs in scoring.

Your basketball takes are as retarded as your 911 conspiracy theories.

jag
04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
http://www.futureofthebook.org/sivavaidhyanathan/archives/jemelehill.jpg

He's a she.

This article represents the only reasonable thoughts to have ever come out of her simple mind.

Galileo
04-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Your basketball takes are as retarded as your 911 conspiracy theories.

who do you think is more valuable to their team than Duncan?

Do you understand that the Spurs have no shotblocking or rebounding without Duncan?

Medvedenko
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
The Hornets may win the best seed but If Pau doesn't get hurt we don't go 5-4 in that stretch. We would then have the best record in the West by at least 2 games. Also, big Drew has been hurt for like 40 games already. The Hornets have been injury free all season and having CP3, Peja (allstar), West (allstar) and Chandler (defense) of course you're going to have a great season. Hell, if the Spurs we're relatively healthy for the season they'd be top spot.

DazedAndConfused
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Once again I question why so many people give a shit about the regular season. It's all about the playoffs, fuck this MVP nonsense. Kobe said himself that all he cares about is a ring.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
This is the same stupid bitch that said Kobe > Jordan. Disregard anything she ever says about anything.

JamStone
04-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Shaq is the most dominant center of all time?

Jack Sommersset
04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Garnett should win. I also think its between Kobe and Chris P.

DazedAndConfused
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM

In his prime, yes. Over his entire career, no.

Kareem is the greatest center of all time IMHO.

Galileo
04-04-2008, 06:57 PM

that's nuts.

Wilt Chamberlain averaged 50 points and 27 rebounds per game in 1962.

Bill Russell had the most dominant game of all time, game 7 of the 1962 NBA Finals.

Russell scored 30 points and had 40 rebounds. That's right, 40 rebounds. The Celtics won the game.

Kareem took an expansion team to the NBA championship in his second season, sweeping through the playoffs 12-1, and 4-0 in the Finals, never even with a close game.

Hakeem won two NBA titles with not a single all-star teammate either year.

Shaq's supposed dominant streak was 2000-2002. If you check the stats, you'll see that Tim Duncan played Shaq even score.

Shaq only won one MVP award in his career.

Shaq was really good against bad teams becaue could dominate near the basket.

But against a good playoff team, just keep him away from the basket and he no longer dominates

BIG z
04-04-2008, 06:58 PM
"Two-time MVP winner Tim Duncan should have gotten stronger consideration last season, too. But Duncan is the NBA's version of Russell Crowe. After Crowe won Best Actor for "Gladiator," the Academy overlooked him for both "The Insider" and "A "Beautiful Mind." Crowe won't win another one because he's too consistently good. Same goes for Duncan."

That hit the spot...

ShoogarBear
04-04-2008, 09:30 PM

But seriously...I totally agree with the rest of the article.I was about to get in your ass about the Godfathers being in 72 and 74.

Agloco
04-04-2008, 09:33 PM
LeBron or Kobe should be the MVP. period.

Without them neither one of their respective teams would win 30 freaking games. Hell Cleveland might not win 25 and they are in the EAST!

Beyond that it's CP3.

Same can be said for NOH. Without Paul making those guys better, what are the odds of them having a winning season?

Obstructed_View
04-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Who the hell didn't expect anything from New Orleans? Most people around here knew they were going to be good if they could ever get healthy. I hate how MVP has somehow become a "best player on a team we in the media were too stupid to realize was going to be good" award.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I was about to get in your ass about the Godfathers being in 72 and 74.

Until you realized that my ass probably isn't a place anyone wants to be. Especially after P.F. Changs.

Her whole analogy is stupid. Al wouldn't have won over Marlon in what is one of the celebrated performances of all time and he certainly wouldn't of won for reprising a role. She's a fucking idiot.

manufor3
04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
come on cp3!!!

ShoogarBear
04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Until you realized that my ass probably isn't a place anyone wants to be. Especially after P.F. Changs.

Her whole analogy is stupid. Al wouldn't have won over Marlon in what is one of the celebrated performances of all time and he certainly wouldn't of won for reprising a role. She's a fucking idiot.Actually, I think she was dead on. For GF I, Pacino was up for supporting actor, and lost GF II to Art Carney (heeeeey, Ralph!). And Scent of a Woman sucked dead donkeys.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 10:33 PM
By Scent he had become a caricature of himself. If anyone should've won from 1972 it was Duvall. And don't shit on Carney. He was in Muppets Take Manhattan for fucks sake.

duncan228
04-04-2008, 10:34 PM
He was in Muppets Take Manhattan for fucks sake.

:lmao

ShoogarBear
04-04-2008, 10:37 PM
By Scent he had become a caricature of himself. If anyone should've won from 1972 it was Duvall. And don't shit on Carney. He was in Muppets Take Manhattan for fucks sake. :rollin
Duvall didn't have much to do in GF I. James Caan has a stronger case.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Neither did Pacino (in having to do too much). They were all scenery for Brando and his cotton balls.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Are you joking? Pacino had to morph from the idealistic, sensitive, innocent brother into the cold-blooded calculating murderous don. Plus he had the most screen time of any of them.

"Do you renounce Satan, Michael Corleone?"

Kermit
04-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Eh...Screen time shared with better actors. He got carried through a majority of the movie. At the end, he found his stride and followed it into Part 2. Every single actor and actress in that movie delivers the perfomance of a lifetime. Pacino could've been Don Knotts and been imortalized.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Now you're pissing me off: Don Knotts is immortalized.

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Love God, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, The Shakiest Gun in the West?

Brando could only dream of such roles.

Kermit
04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.tvfodder.com/archives/dknotts.jpg

"Only don't tell me you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and makes me very angry."

tp2021
04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Chris Paul - Amazing Season, no adversity

:rolleyes

stopped reading after that.

gospursgojas
04-05-2008, 01:09 AM
The MVP is a REGULAR SEASON award.

So wgaf?

Syracuselaxman44
04-05-2008, 01:18 AM
if you think tim duncan should be MVP, then lay off the crack.

1. Chris Paul
2. Kobe
3. Lebron
4. Amare
5. Dwight Howard.

monosylab1k
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
citing Scarface as a good Pacino performance was the funniest part of the article.