PDA

View Full Version : An Absolut Map . . .

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!

The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona. (Texas actually split from Mexico several years earlier to form a breakaway republic, and was voluntarily annexed by the United States in 1846.)

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: “Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It’s very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea.”

But he said that were the campaign to run in the United States, it might fall flat.

“Many people aren’t going to understand it here. Americans in the East and the North or in the center of the county -- I don’t know if they know much about the history.

“Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don’t know how they’d take it.”

Meanwhile, the campaign has been circulating on the blogs and generating strong responses from people north of the border.

“I find this ad deeply offensive, and needlessly divisive. I will now make a point of drinking other brands. And 'vodka and tonic' is my drink,” said one visitor, called New Yorker, on MexicoReporter.com.

Reader Paul Green goes into a discussion on the blog Gateway Pundit of whether the U.S. territories ever belonged to Mexico in the first place, and the News12 Long island site invited people to boycott Absolut, with one user, called LivingSmall, writing: “If you drink Absolut vodka, you can voice your approval or disapproval of this advertising campaign with your purchases. I know I will be switching to Grey Goose or Stoli and will never have another bottle of Absolut in my house.

“Hey Absolut ... that's my form of social commentary.”

-- Deborah Bonello and Reed Johnson in Mexico City

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8420/2383371667df5fc24e2diy6.jpg

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2008/04/mexico-reconque.html

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
time to stop drinking absolut

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Absolut sucks, anyway.

degenerate_gambler
04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
get over it mexico...

Fillmoe
time to stop drinking absolut

oh wait... i never started! lol

peewee's lovechild
That's because both of you hate Mexicans.

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
if you have ever been in california..... it might as well be owned by mexico.... english isnt even our main language....

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
And, Absolut does not suck.

monosylab1k
04-04-2008, 02:32 PM
if this ad is only running in Mexico, why is the slogan in English?

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
That's because both of you hate Mexicans.
And, Absolut does not suck.

My hate is determined on a person by person basis.

Absolut does suck. That's why it's used as the well vodka in so many bars/restaurants.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
if this ad is only running in Mexico, why is the slogan in English?Because "En el mundo de Absolut" just doesn't have the same ring.

Good 'N Plenty
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Tequila!!

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
My hate is determined on a person by person basis.

Absolut does suck. That's why it's used as the well vodka in so many bars/restaurants.

For someone that says she doesn't drink all that much, you sure have a strong opinion of Absolut.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
For someone that says she doesn't drink all that much, you sure have a strong opinion of Absolut.I don't drink that much anymore, but vodka has always been my favorite spirit. Also, I dated/lived with a bartender for six years and tried a lot of different brands during that time.

ididnotnothat
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't drink that much anymore, but vodka has always been my favorite spirit. Also, I dated/lived with a bartender for six years and tried a lot of different brands during that time.

He must've discovered many different ways to get you in the sack.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
He must've discovered many different ways to get you in the sack.She wasn't a he.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't drink that much anymore, but vodka has always been my favorite spirit. Also, I dated/lived with a bartender for six years and tried a lot of different brands during that time.

Well then, you're an expert.

leemajors
chopin and belvedere are much better, as are monopolowa and tito's for cheaper stuff.

tlongII
Crater Lake Vodka is the best vodka you will ever drink. If you can find it, you should try it. It's expensive, but worth it.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Mexico could easily take California back.

They are all wimps over there.

tlongII
04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
CRATER LAKE VODKA — 80 proof. Filter 10 times through charcoal and crushed volcanic rock and aged slightly in new oak.

Throughout history most enlightened cultures have produced their own version of vodka, and the most enlightened vodkas are clean, pure and subtle. Often mistakenly called flavorless, great vodkas are as diverse as they are subtle and complex. The secret to understanding vodka is to be aware of its feel and texture, not just the taste.

Ultra-premium vodka begins with either fermented grain or potatoes. Grains tend to produce a softer vodka and potatoes a sharper feel. Because of this, virtually all of the best vodkas are made from grain, but some traditional Russian and Polish potato vodkas can be found. (Although even Stoli and Smirnoff are grain vodkas.) The skill and style used in distillation also has a tremendous impact on the character of the vodka. Techniques vary, but most ultra-premium vodkas are made from only the "heart" or "center cut" of the distillate (meaning the first and last portions of the spirit as it comes out of the still is discarded) and then filtered three to four times.

Crater Lake Vodka uses the premium center cut of the distillate and is filtered 10 times through charcoal and crushed volcanic rock and aged slightly in oak to give it a rounder, gentler texture. (Skyy, widely considered one of the best commercially produced vodkas, proudly advertises that they filter three times). This technique produces vodka of unparalleled nuances and smoothness.

Cocktail Suggestions Crater Lake Vodka can be served as a handcrafted alternative to such spirits as Stoli, Absolut or Belvedere in any vodka cocktail. The vodka connoisseurs will appreciate tasting the Crater Lake side by side with any other vodka on the shelf.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I never thought there would be much difference, but they tested some vodka conessiour on MythBusters and he guessed the various grades of vodka right.

I was pretty impressed.

Maybe he dated CF's bartender roomate/girlfriend.

thispego
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
look slike i can continue to not drink absolut

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
it all tastes the same after the first cup anyways....

leemajors
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
it all tastes the same after the first cup anyways....
trick, please.

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
i only speak the truth

atxrocker
04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
monopolowa

:tu

tito's

:td

ididnotnothat
04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
She wasn't a he.

Then he really got you plastered.

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
CF, do you annoy a lot of your friends?

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
CF, do you annoy a lot of your friends?No, actually, I don't.

Fillmoe
04-04-2008, 03:00 PM
just wondering....

back to the original topic at hand....

leemajors
04-04-2008, 03:17 PM

:td
tito's at $15 a 750 is drinkable. i prefer gin myself.

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
tito's at $15 a 750 is drinkable. i prefer gin myself.

I used to drink a crap load of gin until I got the shits for three days after drinking a bottle of Seagram's lemon flavored gin.

I was crapping black.

I haven't had gin since.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I used to drink a crap load of gin until I got the shits for three days after drinking a bottle of Seagram's lemon flavored gin.

I was crapping black.

I haven't had gin since.
i just drink sapphire and broker's gin, mainly broker's. straight with a bit of angostura bitters.

atxrocker
04-04-2008, 03:23 PM
tito's at $15 a 750 is drinkable.

i'd agree if i didn't hate tito's so much

i prefer gin myself.

same here actually

peewee's lovechild
04-04-2008, 03:23 PM
i just drink sapphire and broker's gin, mainly broker's. straight with a bit of angostura bitters.

I remember drinking quite a bit of Sapphire and Beefeater gin, but I haven't been the same since that Seagram's incident.

TheSanityAnnex
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Hendricks gin for the win.

thispego
i prefer gin myself.

CuckingFunt
I like Bombay Sapphire, but I've really never been that big of a gin drinker.

leemajors
04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Hendricks gin for the win.
i have seen that, the reviews look pretty good for it. I'll check the hendricks.

TheSanityAnnex
04-04-2008, 04:24 PM
i have seen that, the reviews look pretty good for it. I'll check the hendricks.I've always had my martinis dirty, until I tried Hendricks. Its infused with rose pedals and cucumber and you get the slightest hint of cucumber when sippin on it.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I've always had my martinis dirty, until I tried Hendricks. Its infused with rose pedals and cucumber and you get the slightest hint of cucumber when sippin on it.For some reason, I can't see you as a martini guy. Especially not one infused with rose petals and cucumber.

I love a good martini, though. Vodka or gin.

mrsmaalox
04-04-2008, 04:43 PM
......I was crapping black.

Sign of internal bleeding.

MannyIsGod
04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Gin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vodka

Hendricks is indeed good. Its what finally got Jess to drink Gin

tlongII
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Gin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vodka

Hendricks is indeed good. Its what finally got Jess to drink Gin

You are incorrect sir.

Vodka > Gin

TheSanityAnnex
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
For some reason, I can't see you as a martini guy. Especially not one infused with rose petals and cucumber.

I love a good martini, though. Vodka or gin.Bet you also didn't peg me a big wine drinker either.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Bet you also didn't peg me a big wine drinker either.That's less surprising, now that I know about the martinis. I did have you firmly in the frat boy Jagermeister category, though.

marini martini
04-04-2008, 05:18 PM
:toast Gin martinis for me!

I drink what the "Queen" drinks, Crystal Palace :king

:lol :lol :lol

TheSanityAnnex
That's less surprising, now that I know about the martinis. I did have you firmly in the frat boy Jagermeister category, though.Never been in that category, or a frat.

atxrocker
I did have you firmly in the frat boy Jagermeister category, though.

easy there, funt. jager appeal crosses many categorys.

CuckingFunt
04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Never been in that category, or a frat.Just goes to show the folly of making assumptions over the interwebs.