04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
"Kobe is a more skilled player than Michael Jordan was" - Jemele Hill - ESPN

Thoughts?

Gino
04-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Kobe Who?????????????????

DarrinS
04-05-2008, 12:04 AM
This thread is more gay than Gino's avatar.

Gino
04-05-2008, 12:05 AM
This thread is more gay than Gino's avatar.

:lol

DaDakota
04-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Fail

lefty
04-05-2008, 12:37 AM

Thoughts?

What a surprise.

Worst thing coming from ESPN

Which is not a compliment

mystargtr34
04-05-2008, 07:54 AM
That was racist calling Kobes skills better than MJ's

Dre_7
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Kobe may be more skilled but MJ is by FAR the better player.

JamStone
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I think the skills of the two are comparable. Kobe might be a better dribbler and better jump shooter except for the fade-away from the mid post. Kobe's probably also the more gifted passer, even though he doesn't rack up assists. All in all, I don't think it's an outrageous claim to say Kobe is more skilled than Jordan was. It might not be true, but there's an argument for it.

And, as Dre 7 just mentioned, that doesn't make Kobe the better player necessarily. Jordan was still the better player.

DarrinS
04-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Kobe never had a guy like Pippen, but, then again, MJ never had a Shaq.

Kobe is a better long-range shooter. MJ had a flawless mid-range fade-away jump shot.

Both good defenders. MJ is probably the most clutch player -EVER.

Cry Havoc
04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Kobe's probably also the more gifted passer

Uh... no.

BUMP
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I think the skills of the two are comparable. Kobe might be a better dribbler and better jump shooter except for the fade-away from the mid post. Kobe's probably also the more gifted passer, even though he doesn't rack up assists. All in all, I don't think it's an outrageous claim to say Kobe is more skilled than Jordan was. It might not be true, but there's an argument for it.

And, as Dre 7 just mentioned, that doesn't make Kobe the better player necessarily. Jordan was still the better player.

i agree that it is arguable.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Kobe vs Jordan.

Kobe is more talented (dribbling, shooting, passing, footwork), Jordan is a better team player. Both are clutch time players. Both are lock down defenders. Both are come from behind winners. Kobe is quicker and taller, slasher. Jordan was a better post player. Kobe and Jordan will do anything to win.

Kobe had the unfair advantage of watching all of Jordan's moves and learning from them.

I don't doubt at all that Kobe is a more gifted scorer than Jordan...just like I don't doubt LeBron is more gifted than Kobe. Kobe's a bigger version of Jordan, Lebron is a bigger version of Kobe.

So I think the article is correct, Kobe is more skilled than Jordan due to watching Jordan and his gifted physique. However, that does not mean he is greater than Jordan.

When it's all said and done, the greatest player will be the one with the most rings....so far, Jordan is the man.

JamStone
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Uh... no.

your opinion vs. my opinion

da_suns_fan
04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Kobe had the unfair advantage of watching all of Jordan's moves and learning from them.

Great insight. :toast

E20
04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm not trusting this guy until I see what kind of formulas he is using.

mavs>spurs2
04-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not trusting this guy until I see what kind of formulas he is using.
Galileo forum

kingmalaki
04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
If only he had MJ's mindset to take efficient shots most of the time instead of all the BS shots he takes.

jochhejaam
04-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Too close to call, but the claim rings rather hollow in light of the ring differential 6-3, and the MVP differential 5-0 that favor MJ.

And not that stats tell the complete story, but MJ had better career marks in FG% (50-45), Scoring (30ppg-25ppg), Steals, Rebounds, and Assists.
I'm assuming skill has something to do with those stats.

Maybe it's not too close to call after all.

Dre_7
04-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Kobe never had a guy like Pippen, but, then again, MJ never had a Shaq.

Kobe is a better long-range shooter. MJ had a flawless mid-range fade-away jump shot.

Both good defenders. MJ is probably the most clutch player -EVER.

If MJ had a Shaq he would have won more rings than he did with Pip. I dont know if Kobe would have had the same success with a Pip that he did with a Shaq. But thats nothing against Kobe. Just that MJ was MJ. No one was or is better than him.

spurms
04-05-2008, 10:57 PM

wrong wrong wrong, Jordan is a much better mid range shooter, 50% clip to kobes 45, a much better inside scorer <--he played through hand checks, a much better defender <---like much much better, at least as good as kobe in passing and dribbling and a better dunker, jordan can dunk from the free throw line, kobe cant, the only thing kobe is better then jordan at is ballhandling and ballhogging, anyone who think otherwise, havent watched the bulls era, or a lakers homer.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 11:05 PM
wrong wrong wrong, Jordan is a much better mid range shooter, 50% clip to kobes 45, a much better inside scorer <--he played through hand checks, a much better defender <---like much much better, at least as good as kobe in passing and dribbling and a better dunker, jordan can dunk from the free throw line, kobe cant, the only thing kobe is better then jordan at is ballhandling and ballhogging, anyone who think otherwise, havent watched the bulls era, or a lakers homer.

If Jordan was able to score at will like that, how come he never scored 81 points?

Obstructed_View
04-05-2008, 11:10 PM
If Jordan was able to score at will like that, how come he never scored 81 points?
Actually, how come he never scored 71 points?

David Robinson > Michael Jordan

Allanon
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Actually, how come he never scored 71 points?

David Robinson > Michael Jordan

David Robinson is a Center. Shooting guards are much different, you can't compare the two.

Find me another shooting guard who scores 70 points and I'll say they're a better scorer than Michael Jordan.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
David Robinson is a Center. Shooting guards are much different, you can't compare the two.
Yeah, they don't shoot threes.

Find me another shooting guard who scores 70 points and I'll say they're a better scorer than Michael Jordan.
You might as well; it wouldn't make you look any stupider.

Dre_7
04-05-2008, 11:21 PM

If MJ played with the Defensive rules of today I bet he would have done something similar. MJ > Kobe!

Obstructed_View
04-05-2008, 11:23 PM
If Jordan were more interested in breaking records than winning games he might have done something similar. He wouldn't still be out there scoring all but three of his team's fourth quarter points with a double digit lead.

mystargtr34
04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Their skills are definately comparable... but the respective greatness of their careers, it isnt even close... and lol at Allanon at trying to make it out to be.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
If MJ played with the Defensive rules of today I bet he would have done something similar. MJ > Kobe!

Defensive rules of today are easier on the scorer.

However, average players these days are also more skilled than players in the Jordan era. Overall talent level is better. Coaching is also improved with more defensive schemes to combat players like Jordan and Kobe.

So you could also say Kobe could have had 100 in Jordan's era.

All of it is debateable, the only fact we know is Kobe's the only one who scored 81.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
ps. Mystar, I said Jordan was the greatest player because he has the better career....but Kobe is more skilled.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Kobe would never have survived the Sixers, let alone the Pistons. Teams would fuck you up if you pulled that bullshit on them.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Kobe would never have survived the Sixers, let alone the Pistons. Teams would fuck you up if you pulled that bullshit on them.

Opinion.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Opinion.
Duh

mavsfan1000
04-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Jordan equals more consistency than Kobe. Kobe takes more 3 pointers and thus his shooting percentage isn't as high. He also isn't as good defensively as Jordan. Jordan has another level of speed and coordination. He shoots as well as a center but can get his shots up so much easier. Jordan knows how to make his teammates better. Much better. Kobe is having a career year though in that department.

Medvedenko
04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Jordan is better but not as much as people say. A lot of pro's, coaches, Gm's and teammates of both say they are as close as you can come. Zone defenses hurt the individual player unlike the run and gun days of the late 80's where Iso reigned supreme. You take away zone defenses and Kobe would have a lot higher scoring average and probably better FG%. Now the players are overall bigger and more physical then they were back in Jordan's era. I still put MJ over KB but it's getting closer. There's still a lot of the script to write in the Kobe era....so this is pretty premature.

Dario
04-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Physically kobe is right there with mj, mentaly mj did what he had to do to win. He basicly willed his team to win no matter what. Here is the only difference IMO.

Kobulingam
04-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Lebron is better than Kobe, so shouldn't we be comparing Lebron v. Jordan?

mystargtr34
04-06-2008, 05:41 AM

LeBron may be the more effective player... but I think its fair to say Kobe is the more 'skilled' player and has a prettier game. That was the basis for the comparison with MJ.

Whether LBJ is better than Kobe or not... thats a different argument all together... but personally i lean towards Kobe in that department also but thats just me.

stretch
04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I think skill-wise, the only thing Kobe has over Jordan is the shooting range. I would rather have Kobe shooting threes than Jordan. I can't argue if someone says that he's skilled, cuz I think it is very possibly true.

But in terms of leadership, IQ/shot selection, and the mental aspect of the game, MJ >>>>> Kobe.

Thus, MJ > Kobe.

stretch
04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
and while I agree that Lebron > Kobe...

Kobe is more like Jordan than Lebron. Lebron is more of a mix between Jordan and Magic, and that is why I think he will end up as the best player of all time.

At such a young age, especially considering what he has had around him, which is far less than Kobe or Jordan had, he has accomplished far more. Statistically, he will pretty much own their records. He will get his rings eventually too.

TheMACHINE
04-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Im not argue who is better, but i will state that this article isnt too far fetched.

Skill wise, both are very comaparble and you can make excellent cases for both. Some say Offensively, Kobe takes it...but defense, Jordan takes it. Shooting range, leadership, fade away...both have the skills to do anything on the floor.

Jemille King knew what she was saying when she used the word "skill"...now if she used the word "better"..as in who was the BETTER player...Jordan would take it due to accomplishments and the way he changes the sport.

TheMACHINE
04-06-2008, 10:35 AM

There a difference when comparing skill vs better player.

JamStone
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
and while I agree that Lebron > Kobe...

Kobe is more like Jordan than Lebron. Lebron is more of a mix between Jordan and Magic, and that is why I think he will end up as the best player of all time.

At such a young age, especially considering what he has had around him, which is far less than Kobe or Jordan had, he has accomplished far more. Statistically, he will pretty much own their records. He will get his rings eventually too.

LeBron has the talent to be the best player of all time. But, if he stays with the Cavs, he may never win a championship and that in itself won't allow him to be talked about in the same breath of Jordan, Wilt, Magic, Oscar. He'll have to win multiple titles, and probably at least 3 to be in the conversation. I know that isn't always on the player, but it's generally something considered when talking about the best players in history.

DazedAndConfused
04-06-2008, 12:01 PM
MJ still has a leg up on Kobe in terms of defense, shot selection, and leadership.

mookie2001
04-06-2008, 12:11 PM
he is right kobe is better than jordan, big deal

Brutalis
04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Kobe may be more skilled but MJ is by FAR the better player.

Allanon
04-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, they don't shoot threes.
You might as well; it wouldn't make you look any stupider.

David Robinson shooting threes? How about dunks.

You're an obvious mental midget if that's the best you can come up with comparing shooting guards to Centers :blah

If Jordan were more interested in breaking records than winning games he might have done something similar. He wouldn't still be out there scoring all but three of his team's fourth quarter points with a double digit lead.

Hahah, yah, Jordan wasn't a statistical Ballhog :rolleyes

Step away from the Haterade :drunk

mavs>spurs2
04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
he is right kobe is better than jordan, big deal

:lmao Moron

jochhejaam
04-06-2008, 01:26 PM
LeBron has the talent to be the best player of all time. But, if he stays with the Cavs, he may never win a championship and that in itself won't allow him to be talked about in the same breath of Jordan, Wilt, Magic, Oscar. He'll have to win multiple titles, and probably at least 3 to be in the conversation. I know that isn't always on the player, but it's generally something considered when talking about the best players in history.
That's why Karl Malone and his 37,000 points and 15,000 rebounds are rarely thought of when discussing great players.

JamStone
04-06-2008, 02:18 PM
That's why Karl Malone and his 37,000 points and 15,000 rebounds are rarely thought of when discussing great players.

There's a difference between talking about "great players" and talking about a player possibly being the "best player ever." And, there's a reason why almost everyone would consider Tim Duncan is and will go down as the better power forward even though he may not surpass Karl Malone's career numbers.

The Franchise
04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Defensive rules of today are easier on the scorer.

However, average players these days are also more skilled than players in the Jordan era. Overall talent level is better. Coaching is also improved with more defensive schemes to combat players like Jordan and Kobe.

So you could also say Kobe could have had 100 in Jordan's era.

All of it is debateable, the only fact we know is Kobe's the only one who scored 81.
I'm sorry but that entire statement is false except for the part about the 81. Players are less skilled today than in the Jordan era, but they are more athletic. the No handcheck rule makes it a lot harder to play defense. If Kobe played in the Jordan era I don't think he would be as good as he is today.

Medvedenko
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
ZONE fucking defense.....that's a big difference in the one on one game. Team ball reigns supreme nowadays because of it and I can't like it more. For Kobe and others to put up huge #'s in today's NBA is an accomplishment. Players are less skilled now, please as I have been watching the NBA since the 80's and this is pure conjecture at best.

It's comical to think that Jordan always made the right pass, always played within himself and was the consumate teammate. Oh, and he never missed in the clutch and locked down every defender around him, while playing defense on all 5 guys. Please, Jodan is better, but peoples memories are a funny thing.

JamStone
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
There are different factors when trying to compare defenses now and defenses in the 1980s.

Some people want to say that the defense was much more rugged in the 80s with Detroit and Philly. But, those two teams and maybe late 80s, early 90s Knicks were the only teams that played that kind of defense. On most nights, teams did not play that physical, hand checking type defense. Most teams in the NBA in the 80s played defense more like Phoenix and Denver than Detroit and New York. But, people will reference Detroit like they were the norm. They weren't. That's why they were the "Bad Boys" when it came to defense. Very few teams played that rugged defense even with the hand check rules.

Also, in the 80s, the average height for a shooting guard was around 6-foot-3 to 6-foot-4. Joe Dumars is about 6-2 or 6-3. Byron Scott is 6-foot-3. John Starks is 6-foot-3. Jeff Hornacek 6-3, Vernon Maxwell 6-4. And, since Scottie Pippen played small forward, it wasn't like shooting guards could switch over to defend the small forward position against Michael. On the majority of most nights, Michael Jordan had a decided advantage over the opposing team's shooting guard.

And, as addressed already, while hand checking is no longer allowed in today's NBA, zone defenses are, which allows defenses to collapse more quickly to block shots from the weak side.

The pace of the game has also changed. In the 1980s, there were more transition baskets because the game was faster paced. This allowed for a higher shooting percentage if a player was adept at running the court in transition.

If Kobe played in Jordan's era, he would have the same luxuries of a size advantage at the shooting guard position, fewer teams that played stifling defense, being able to score more often in transition, and being able to face fewer shot blockers that collapse more quickly out of zone defenses.

Medvedenko
04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Great Post Jamstone.....I swear people think that the Pistons were the norm and that everyone set hard picks and there were no easy layups. Please, 1 team doesn't make it the norm. Look at scoring averages, fast break stats and fg% of that era. When Jordan was putting up crazy #'s it was during that stretch. When he became all-world it was during the early to mid 90's is when he became a legend.

mrodgers
04-10-2008, 07:13 AM
[B]kobe is alot more skilled than michael jaordan was and he could definatly beat him one on one and that is all I have to say[I][U]

Findog
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
bumping MRodgers gay threads off the front page

Indazone
04-10-2008, 03:43 PM

Thoughts?

When I hear Phil Jackson say this then I will believe. Until then, Kobe is a pretender to the thrown of "His Airness".

JamStone
04-10-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll try to find a link to the quote, but I remember Phil Jackson has said Kobe Bryant is the best all around player he has ever coached.