PDA

View Full Version : Jazz: Okur Stretches Spurs (Duncan) To Breaking

duncan228
04-05-2008, 07:23 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_8821520

Utah Jazz: Okur stretches Spurs to breaking
By Tony Jones
The Salt Lake Tribune

Last year, during the conference finals, Tim Duncan destroyed Mehmet Okur, scoring on him at will and generally making him a non-factor as the San Antonio Spurs smacked the Jazz around in five games.

On Friday night, Okur turned things around on Duncan as Utah raced past San Antonio 90-64 before a sellout crowd at Energy Solutions Arena.

Okur scored 17 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and stole the ball three times. He also frustrated Duncan, pushing him out of his sweet spot on the block, stripping him repeatedly and not letting him take over the game, which directly led to the Spurs tying a franchise low for points scored in a game.

While it wasn't the playoffs, Friday night's contest brought along with it a decided playoff atmosphere. Not only that, Okur's success may have served as a message of sorts, should the two teams meet once the postseason does starts.

"I just tried to push him out further than he would like," Okur said. "I wanted him to shoot over my hands and take tough shots. He's such a good player. You just want to make him uncomfortable."

Duncan got his stats, 15 points and 10 rebounds, but he was far from dominating the game like he dominated the conference finals a year ago. He was visibly frustrated in the second half, and he, along with the rest of the Spurs starters, spent most of the fourth quarter on the bench.

Offensively, Okur stretched San Antonio's defense out with his three-point shooting. While he wasn't knocking down jumpers, he was grabbing offensive rebounds and putting them back into the basket.

"I was feeling good out there," Okur said. "We did a great job on defense in the second half. We held them to nine points in the fourth quarter. That's a great job."

Because Okur was able to handle Duncan one-on-one, it greatly affected the Spurs' offense. The other Jazz players weren't forced to double down and help, and that allowed them to stay at home on the San Antonio spot-up shooters who benefit so much from Duncan's ability to pass out of the post.

Indeed, Bruce Bowen scored just three points on 1-for-4 shooting, while Michael Finley scored a single bucket.

mikeanthony21
04-05-2008, 07:34 AM
>>Not only that, Okur's success may have served as a message of sorts,

That every dog has his day?

duncan228
04-05-2008, 07:36 AM
...That every dog has his day?

Yup. One day.
Okur won't do that to Duncan in a 7 game series.

No one can do that to Duncan in a 7 game series. :)

TDMVPDPOY
04-05-2008, 08:02 AM
No one is stopping duncan from finishing that brass knuckle made out of championship rings.

DRIVE FOR 5

mystargtr34
04-05-2008, 08:05 AM
ROFLMFAO at the suggestion of the THOUGHT that Okur will limit Duncan in a playoff series....

ROFLMFAO at that

timaios
04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Duncan got his stats, 15 points and 10 rebounds, but he was far from dominating the game like he dominated the conference finals a year ago. He was visibly frustrated in the second half, and he, along with the rest of the Spurs starters, spent most of the fourth quarter on the bench.

Duncan was on the bench the entire fourth quarter.
15pts + 10rbs + great defense on 3 quarters is a good Duncan !
It was tough but Duncan responded well !

urunobili
04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Duncan was on the bench the entire fourth quarter.
15pts + 10rbs + great defense on 3 quarters is a good Duncan !
It was tough but Duncan responded well !
+1

Herschel Walker
04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Jazz scored 90 pts, much against back ups. The Spurs problem was scoring. Sloppy movement with half hearted effort and poor shots did them in this game. I have no doubt the Spurs have the defense to win another title, but I wonder if the offense will be there consistently enough to win.

td4mvp21
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Let's see if that strategy works when the Jazz play the Spurs in San Antonio, where the hacks will be called fouls.

Agloco
04-05-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_8821520

Utah Jazz: Okur stretches Spurs to breaking
By Tony Jones
The Salt Lake Tribune

Last year, during the conference finals, Tim Duncan destroyed Mehmet Okur, scoring on him at will and generally making him a non-factor as the San Antonio Spurs smacked the Jazz around in five games.

On Friday night, Okur turned things around on Duncan as Utah raced past San Antonio 90-64 before a sellout crowd at Energy Solutions Arena.

Okur scored 17 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and stole the ball three times. He also frustrated Duncan, pushing him out of his sweet spot on the block, stripping him repeatedly and not letting him take over the game, which directly led to the Spurs tying a franchise low for points scored in a game.

While it wasn't the playoffs, Friday night's contest brought along with it a decided playoff atmosphere. Not only that, Okur's success may have served as a message of sorts, should the two teams meet once the postseason does starts.

"I just tried to push him out further than he would like," Okur said. "I wanted him to shoot over my hands and take tough shots. He's such a good player. You just want to make him uncomfortable."

Offensively, Okur stretched San Antonio's defense out with his three-point shooting. While he wasn't knocking down jumpers, he was grabbing offensive rebounds and putting them back into the basket.

"I was feeling good out there," Okur said. "We did a great job on defense in the second half. We held them to nine points in the fourth quarter. That's a great job."

Because Okur was able to handle Duncan one-on-one, it greatly affected the Spurs' offense. The other Jazz players weren't forced to double down and help, and that allowed them to stay at home on the San Antonio spot-up shooters who benefit so much from Duncan's ability to pass out of the post.

Indeed, Bruce Bowen scored just three points on 1-for-4 shooting, while Michael Finley scored a single bucket.

Yep, he stepped up when it counted....... :lol :lol :lol

balli
04-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Let's see if that strategy works when the Jazz play the Spurs in San Antonio, where the hacks will be called fouls.

Excuses, excuses. A whole 30 point difference from all the non-calls. Wow. Cry some more loser. :cry :cry :cry

Agloco
04-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Excuses, excuses. A whole 30 point difference from all the non-calls. Wow. Cry some more loser. :cry :cry :cry

Because we all know Okur is ready to be the best Duncan defender the league has known right? He's just been teasing us up to now.......

td4mvp21
04-05-2008, 06:45 PM

:rolleyes I'll be the first to tell you the Spurs did a fucking shitty ass job on offense. It doesn't help when you get hacked and there are no calls. Okur a Duncan stopper? :lmao Duncan will own that flopping bitch in the playoffs just like he did last year. Like the article said, this isn't the playoffs. Enough said.