PDA

View Full Version : Spurs can't beat Celtics or Lakers in a 7 game series

The_Game
04-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Too much firepower and on the celtics part too much defense.

spurs better hope other teams knock these two teams out...otherwise there will be no title for S.A

everyone else the spurs could beat

tmtcsc
04-05-2008, 07:50 AM
lame...sux to be a scared fan. Lakers have too much firepower ?

xtremesteven33
04-05-2008, 07:51 AM
HAHA funny seriously......Spurs have ONE bad game in thier hottest streak of the year and people are already doubting....i knew it was coming....I GUARANTEE if the Spurs beat LA at LA...people here will get wet about the Spurs....

The_Game
04-05-2008, 08:03 AM
lame...sux to be a scared fan. Lakers have too much firepower ?

With a healthly Bynum and Ariza yes. Spurs have NOTHING after the main 3...Lakers go all the way down to their bench.

ChuckD
04-05-2008, 08:03 AM
WTF? THe Lakers aren't even a complete team yet.

The_Game
04-05-2008, 08:05 AM
They have Gasol back and once Bynum comes back they should beat anybody in the west

ChuckD
04-05-2008, 08:07 AM
They have Gasol back and once Bynum comes back they should beat anybody in the west
You think they can just "work him back in" during the playoffs? It changes the dynamic of the team.

Gasol is a vagina, and Ariza isn't playing yet, either.

The_Game
04-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Bynum hardly has to do much. Just play D and rebound. Not like he is a guard.

Say what you want about Gasol but he is a 20 and 9 threat every game along with kobe, odom and their bench they should be the team to beat in the west. If healthly the lakers should win the west

xtremesteven33
04-05-2008, 08:27 AM

Say what you want about Gasol but he is a 20 and 9 threat every game along with kobe, odom and their bench they should be the team to beat in the west. If healthly the lakers should win the west

GASOL??

Gasol is notorious for his choking ability...just like Garnett....Gasol is mentally weak and he and Bynum are mentally weak....Duncan and Thomas would will just beat those guys physically and mentally....they cant hack the pressure....

the only clutch guys on the Lakers are Bryant and Fisher.....

Martin R
04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
lakers and Celtics can blow me at anytime.

ChuckD
04-05-2008, 10:07 AM

Gasol puts up numbers, but he'll never hit a shot that you really need, or grab that necessary rebound either.

DaDakota
04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
The Spurs can beat anyone, but I think if they get through the West they will lose in the finals....to either Boston or Detroit.

DD

JamStone
04-05-2008, 11:04 AM
I disagree with the original poster, but criticizing Gasol or KG for choking is pretty much moot at this point when 9 times out of 10, neither will be counted on to get a clutch bucket with Kobe, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen on their respective teams.

peskypesky
04-05-2008, 11:07 AM
GASOL??

Gasol is notorious for his choking ability...just like Garnett....Gasol is mentally weak and he and Bynum are mentally weak....Duncan and Thomas would will just beat those guys physically and mentally....they cant hack the pressure....

the only clutch guys on the Lakers are Bryant and Fisher.....

Gasol is not mentally weak and he's not a choker. He played on a horrible team for his entire career. Have you noticed how great the Grizzlies are doing now that their "choker" is gone?

Just because a good player is on a bad team does not make him a choker. Was Garnett a choker because the Timberwolves sucked the last several years that he was on them?

You can keep fooling yourself with this weak line of thinking, but I'm sure Poppavitch is not dumb enough to underestimate the skills that Gasol possesses. The fact the Gasol managed to get the Grizzlies into the playoffs AT ALL is a testament to his skills.

DarrinS
04-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I disagree with the original poster, but criticizing Gasol or KG for choking is pretty much moot at this point when 9 times out of 10, neither will be counted on to get a clutch bucket with Kobe, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen on their respective teams.

True.

Celtics would be MUCH harder to beat in a series, IMO. Good luck in the ECF.

ChuckD
04-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Gasol is not mentally weak and he's not a choker. He played on a horrible team for his entire career. Have you noticed how great the Grizzlies are doing now that their "choker" is gone?

Just because a good player is on a bad team does not make him a choker. Was Garnett a choker because the Timberwolves sucked the last several years that he was on them?

You can keep fooling yourself with this weak line of thinking, but I'm sure Poppavitch is not dumb enough to underestimate the skills that Gasol possesses. The fact the Gasol managed to get the Grizzlies into the playoffs AT ALL is a testament to his skills.
I have to disagree. Great players rise to the occasion, and chokers fade away. He's never stepped up to even take a playoff game. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you're mentally weak, it's going to show when the chips are down. He was a quitter the minute he whined for a trade, or at least that's when he showed his colors.

Oh, and I'm not picking on just him. The Lakers were the subject of this thread, so of course, he's the pussy du jour. You can also lump TMac, Cliff Robinson from days gone by, and KG in there, along with the Nuggets franchise.

JamStone
04-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Gasol has never been on a team that was favored to win a series. "Choking" implies fucking up something that you have in the bag. The Grizz were never in position to win in the playoffs. How is that choking when they were supposed to lose?

Leetonidas
04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Fuck that, O.P.

The Spurs are going to repeat, and are going through both of them to do it. Believe that shit.

MrChug
04-05-2008, 12:11 PM
They have Gasol back and once Bynum comes back they COULD beat anybody in the west

Corrected.

Anyone can beat anyone in the West, but SHOULD is a too strong a word especially when talking about the Lakers. In fact, if there's a "should" in the West, it's the Spurs. Sorry, thanks for playing.

honestfool84
04-05-2008, 12:16 PM

after reading a few of your comments, im starting to place you in the same category as i view princess pimp..

fag.

The_Game
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
why exactly? spurs have had a great run but lets face it they aren't good enough anymore to knock off the top teams.

you can't expect the big 3 to dominate teams anymore the rest are far too strong. if we had some actual talent outside the big 3 then maybe yes but we don't....

if spurs do somehow manage to get to the finals i fail to see how they have much of a shot against a boston team who will be well rested compared to whoever comes out of the west..boston will only really have one team to get past in the east and thats detroit or have been known to choke in the playoffs the past two seasons...

xtremesteven33
04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Im not implying that the Grizzlies didnt win any kind of playoff series because of Gasol, im saying this because ive seen his decision making and his shot selection in the clutch before. He looks scared and hesistant. He DOESNT want the ball....just like Garnett, when it comes down to the final minute it comes down to decision making and i dont think Gasol has those intangibles...

MrChug
04-05-2008, 12:23 PM
why exactly? spurs have had a great run but lets face it they aren't good enough anymore to knock off the top teams.

Where have I heard that before???? OH YEAH: OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS!!
Everyone says that, and then we bust their asses and win another ring. Dallas was last year's Flavor of the Year, Phoenix before that, and this year it's Boston...there's one every year, it's never the Spurs, and we still win.

If we don't fine, but to imply that we have no shot just shows your lack of basketball knowledge. And your inability to spell shows your age.

:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: ... :lobt2: ? Probably.

remingtonbo2001
04-05-2008, 12:27 PM

I agree.

However, the Spurs have a handful of players which can contribute a clutch performance whether it Offensively or Defensively.

The_Game
04-05-2008, 12:30 PM
if spurs are so good why hasn't this team repeated? they are not unbeatable. Lets face it they likely wouldn't of won last year if it hadn't been for Horry's hip check foul on Steve Nash. Amare and Diaw in that series likely would of meant the spurs lose that series in 7 games.

the spurs are a year older and after the big 3 there is nothing but pure crap. everyone has improved, hense why the west is so tough to predict.

don't question my basketball knowledge when I have played at a far higher level than you could ever dream of being involved in.

Ronaldo McDonald
04-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, we aren't as talented as the other teams in terms of scoring, but I our smarts and defense will always give us a chance. You can't predicate wins or losses solely on the other teams scoring abiltiy, that's just ridiculous. You are excluding the many other aspects of the game that factor into wins or losses.

As far as the Celtics defense, we only lost to them by what 3 the last time we played them?

Dude, put the bong down.

Only four teams have beat the Jazz at home this year. A couple of big shots by Utah sucked the life out of the team, and it went down hill fast for us. But it could have been vice versa if we'd played at home imo. One bad loss in while and people go insane. Christ.

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 12:37 PM
The only reason I don't believe the Spurs will repeat this year is because of lack of contributions from players outside the big 3.

Finley - inconsistent all year
Horry - injured
Barry - injured, who knows what he'll be able to give when he gets back
Vaughan - not very good
Stoudamire - not very good
Udoka - solid defender, not a big offensive threat
Bonner - never plays

The guys I have bolded came through big time for the Spurs last year in the playoffs and were a huge reason for their success. If the Spurs face a team that can really somewhat neutralize 2 of the big 3 it's going to be extremely tough for them to win. You saw what UTA did last night, they blitzed Duncan hard and stuck AK on Ginobli which really limited what Ginobli wanted to do on the floor. Teams can live with Parker getting points in the paint and hitting jumpshots so long as Ginobli and Duncan are contained.

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 12:39 PM

I never thought I'd read this kind of post from you, but you are right on the money.

himat
04-05-2008, 12:42 PM
This is what everyone says every year. I won't be surprised if the Spurs lost to the Lakers, but if they win then I wouldn't be surprised either.

The acquisition of Kurt Thomas will really help the Spurs this year.

honestfool84
04-05-2008, 12:45 PM
don't question my basketball knowledge when I have played at a far higher level than you could ever dream of being involved in.

well your basketball knowledge sure doesn't show it

Capt Bringdown
04-05-2008, 12:50 PM
The only reason I don't believe the Spurs will repeat this year is because of lack of contributions from players outside the big 3.

Finley - inconsistent all year
Horry - injured
Barry - injured, who knows what he'll be able to give when he gets back

I agree. It's too much to overcome. These guys were big in years past, but we hung on to long and there'll be no repeat this year.

The_Game
04-05-2008, 12:54 PM
well your basketball knowledge sure doesn't show it

Neither does yours clearly

Just because I'm not an idiotic homer doesn't mean I have no knowledge of the game.

honestfool84
04-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Neither does yours clearly

Just because I'm not an idiotic homer doesn't mean I have no knowledge of the game.

but your posting crap; 'oh, the spurs can't win, blah, blah, blah; they're too old, their supporting cast isn't producing'

you know how many other people have said the same thing since 2003?

yeah, don't be such a moron.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 01:14 PM
but we hung on too long

I think this sums it up the best...

The starting five is OK (if Manu starts) but once you hit the bench, you won't see a highlight dunk out of any of those guys...they're just too, too old. Highlight dunks, as funny as it sounds, are an INTEGRAL part in comebacks.

The result is on an off night for the Big 3, it's all over...you can't go to the bench and bring in the spark plugs. Horry, Finley and Barry were the spark plugs but they've gotten old and injured. The rest are role players.

With no spark plugs/young guys, the Spurs have to play perfect basketball every night to get wins, there's no margin for error. If the Spurs are down by 15 points, they stay down, there isn't any miracle comeback in the brew....

Artest, Bonzi Wells, Tyron Lue, Pau Gasol, Mike Miller, Sam Cassell and even Reuben Patterson would have complemented this bench nicely and all of them could have been had...well except for SamIAm.

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Well if there is one thing i do know about the Spurs is everytime people start doubting them they fuck around and win a championship. I still feel they don't have enough in the tank to repeat, but they are certainly the last team I'd want to see the Lakers face.

honestfool84
04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
With no spark plugs/young guys, the Spurs have to play perfect basketball every night to get wins, there's no margin for error. If the Spurs are down by 15 points, they stay down, there isn't any miracle comeback in the brew....

the last dallas game? we were down 12, i believe, and the comeback started, with dirk in the game.

td4mvp21
04-05-2008, 01:52 PM
We hear that the Spurs role players aren't good almost every year. Last night was the first time in 8 games they did not contribute. BFD. A big, big reason for that streak was because the role players-Finley, Udoka, Vaughn, Oberto, Bowen, and Thomas-stepped it up. I would have agreed with the criticisms before the 8 game streak but the 8 game streak showed me that when the Spurs are focused the team can win basketball games. The Spurs didn't exactly show the same focus last night they let the refs distract them too much. But yeah, our role players will be there and the Spurs won't go down without a fight.

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 01:57 PM
The 8 game win streak is nice but name one serious playoff team that you beat in that stretch?

DAL - no Dirk
ORL - no Hedo or Nelson
HOU - small ball team, not a serious threat
GSW - small ball team, not a serious threat

I still see the Spurs struggling against teams that can throw athletic bodies at Duncan and force someone else to step up. But like you said, the Spurs are still the last team anyone wants to face.

td4mvp21
04-05-2008, 01:58 PM
The result is on an off night for the Big 3, it's all over...you can't go to the bench and bring in the spark plugs. Horry, Finley and Barry were the spark plugs but they've gotten old and injured. The rest are role players.

That doesn't happen very often at all. Two of the Big Three are almost always on, if not all three.

Wrong. We've been able to put up runs playing absolutely the shittiest basketball and win. We did it against the Mavs (we were up 1 when Dirk went out, so we at least came back to take the lead) the Suns, the Knicks (shit team), and I'm sure we've done it a couple more times.

What happens is the Spurs play so fucking shitty on national television and everyone makes judgments off of that. Which it's like that for every team-we as Spurs fans base a lot of judgments off of national TV games. But yeah, the role players have been excellent as of late. They had an off night just like the Big Three. Shit happens.

icem
04-05-2008, 02:00 PM
i agree with the threadstarter about boston....

with the lakers its a toss up because there is still the unknown factor, how good will they be with bynum and gasol together ??? no one knows if its going to make them significantly better, or just slightly better. as it stands, i say we win in 6 games against the lake show. with bynum, who knows...

id rather not see the celtics at all, they have too much defense, and too many clutch players.

honestfool84
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
What happens is the Spurs play so fucking shitty on national television and everyone makes judgments off of that. Which it's like that for every team-we as Spurs fans base a lot of judgments off of national TV games. But yeah, the role players have been excellent as of late. They had an off night just like the Big Three. Shit happens.

+1, and then some

ClingingMars
04-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Gasol sucks at defense and is overrated. His game is similar to Scola's.

Garnett and Co have yet to prove anything in the playoffs, either. Except Cassell.

- Mars

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 03:17 PM
So ClingingMars you think that every player on the team has to have already won a championship in order for a team to win one? C'mon that is ridiculous.

Playoff experience matters, but not as much as you think.

td4mvp21
04-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Celtics are the best team in the league right now. I would say they are the favorites.

Ronaldo McDonald
04-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Games are going to be hard to win in the WC playoffs this year for the away teams.

Great teams have the ability to blow other great teams out of the water when they play at home. It's a sign of how good they are at home, not how bad the away team is away from home.

Spurs are capable of doing the same shit.

Remember the 2005 Finals? Spurs lost games 3 and 4 in Big D by huge margins.

Allanon
04-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Celtics are the best team in the league right now. I would say they are the favorites.

Agreed, Boston is looking very imposing right now. I think the Spurs will have a very good chance to beat the Celtics IF they make it to the Finals. If the Spurs make it to the Finals, that means all the doubters are wrong and the Spurs are better than we thought they were. But again, I highly doubt the Spurs make it to the Finals.

Celtics have also convincingly beaten the Lakers hands down this year. There was no illusion, they simply outplayed the Lakers by far. If it was the same Lakers team, I don't think they'd have a chance against the Celtics.

However, they won over the old Lakers team. Not the new Triple Tower Lakers. That may make all the difference, that might make no difference but we just don't know.

Me personally, I don't think ANY team can handle Triple Towers + Kobe. That's like having The Admiral + Timmy + Rodman + Jordan all at the same time. Even if the Laker 4 was only 80% as good as that 4 above, they would dominate.

Bruno
04-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I like when other teams fans start being arrogant and write off Spurs.
Last year, a lot of Mavs fans did that. This year it's some Lakers' and Celtics' fans... :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2008, 04:58 PM
The only two times the Spurs have been ousted in the playoffs the last five years are when teams have been able to pull some miraculous play out of their hat.

The Spurs are a different team in a seven game post season matchup than they are during the regular season grind.

Agloco
04-05-2008, 05:11 PM
if spurs are so good why hasn't this team repeated? they are not unbeatable. Lets face it they likely wouldn't of won last year if it hadn't been for Horry's hip check foul on Steve Nash. Amare and Diaw in that series likely would of meant the spurs lose that series in 7 games.the spurs are a year older and after the big 3 there is nothing but pure crap. everyone has improved, hense why the west is so tough to predict.

No repeats = excellent parity in the league.

I guess a better question for you would be: If the Spurs aren't so good, why have they won 3 of the last five titles?

Trying to predict who would have won the series had it gone back to Phoenix is just plain silly, espically since the Spurs won the very first game of the series there (we don't need to count game five).......

Agloco
04-05-2008, 05:13 PM
The 8 game win streak is nice but name one serious playoff team that you beat in that stretch?

DAL - no Dirk
ORL - no Hedo or Nelson
HOU - small ball team, not a serious threat
GSW - small ball team, not a serious threat

I still see the Spurs struggling against teams that can throw athletic bodies at Duncan and force someone else to step up. But like you said, the Spurs are still the last team anyone wants to face.

I like how you just dismissed GSW and HOU. Funny to say the least.

Dirk was around until the third BTW.

I'll agree on Orlando, they suck.

ChuckD
04-05-2008, 07:22 PM
if spurs are so good why hasn't this team repeated? they are not unbeatable. Lets face it they likely wouldn't of won last year if it hadn't been for Horry's hip check foul on Steve Nash. Amare and Diaw in that series likely would of meant the spurs lose that series in 7 games.

the spurs are a year older and after the big 3 there is nothing but pure crap. everyone has improved, hense why the west is so tough to predict.

You're as stupid as a Suns fan, and that may be the worst thing I've ever said to anyone on this board.

1) they had a huge lead in game 5, even without Amare and Diaw. They blew it.
2) they had a chance to win game 6 on the road to force a game 7. They blew it, even with their full crew.
3) PHO has a home record of 2-8 against the Spurs for the 2003, 2005, and 2007 series. Why the FUCK does ANYONE think they would have won a game 7 at home?

roycrikside
04-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Boston's one weakness, outside of Allen's lack of toughness, is KG in pressure moments. He has not shown that he can come up big in a big game. He never takes the big shot, never even calls for the ball.

If the Spurs (or whoever) can stay close with Boston and make the games come down to the last two minutes, I like their chances.

The_Game
04-05-2008, 08:00 PM
ray allen and paul pierce will take the big shots if KG doesn't....it's foolish to say ray allen lack mental toughness when he is known as one of the clutch shooters in the NBA..he has hit many big game winners this year and has done so in the playoffs in the past as well.

boston have won many close games this season with last second plays. adding sam cassell makes them even better in that area

Scumbag
04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I hate the Spurs.

The Spurs will beat the Lakers in 6, Celtics in 7.

The thing that scares me for ANY team coming out of the west is the fatigue factor. After we beat the hell out of one another we have to go face Boston.

manufor3
04-05-2008, 08:23 PM

spurs better hope other teams knock these two teams out...otherwise there will be no title for S.A

my god are you a spurs fan?

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Boston's one weakness, outside of Allen's lack of toughness, is KG in pressure moments. He has not shown that he can come up big in a big game. He never takes the big shot, never even calls for the ball.

If the Spurs (or whoever) can stay close with Boston and make the games come down to the last two minutes, I like their chances.

And yet time and time again the Celtics have proven that doesn't fucking matter. They have Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and SamIAm to throw it into in the clutch. Guess who hit a clutch 3 to ultimately swing the lead over to BOS leading to a SAS loss a few weeks ago?

To beat BOS you are going to have to be the better team. Praying that they are going to collapse or choke is foolish thinking.

alamo50
04-06-2008, 05:00 AM
You need to change your name to "No Game".

ATXSPUR
04-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Fuck the playoffs need to hurry up and get here. The nonsense I have read on this thread makes me want to slit my throat.

The_Game
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Gasol sucks at defense and is overrated. His game is similar to Scola's.

- Mars

One of the most idiotic things I have seen from you. Do not compare Gasol to freaking Scola. Gasol is on an all-star level, yes Gasol's defense is not amazing but it's not exactly terrible. It's below average but what he lacks on defense he makes up for on the other end of the floor. He is a great scorer and post player who as long as he is healthly will take the lakers far in the playoffs. Scola is a role player at best and that will never change

Scumbag
04-06-2008, 01:08 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/texaslh_2006/BrookeValentine-Pink.jpg

Wowza.

pjjrfan
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
AS long as Tim,Manu, Tony and Bruce are healthy for the playoffs I like our chances against anyone. If you've been a Spurs fan for as long as I have and an NBA fan you know that it's tough for any team to sustain a groove in the playoffs, it's more of a grind it out marathon and if you haven't been there your in for a shock, it's not entirely impossible for the Celtics or Lakers to meet in the finals but it's not a given either and no matter how much talent or how well they are playing they have to sustain it against some very good teams. And like I read somewhere it will be tough to beat a team with Manu, Tony and Tim on their game in a 7 game series.

ClingingMars
04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
One of the most idiotic things I have seen from you. Do not compare Gasol to freaking Scola. Gasol is on an all-star level, yes Gasol's defense is not amazing but it's not exactly terrible. It's below average but what he lacks on defense he makes up for on the other end of the floor. He is a great scorer and post player who as long as he is healthly will take the lakers far in the playoffs. Scola is a role player at best and that will never change

keep on riding Gasol, and change your team to the Lakers while you're at it.

Gasol doesn't show up in the playoffs, anyway.

- Mars

The_Game
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
keep on riding Gasol, and change your team to the Lakers while you're at it.

Gasol doesn't show up in the playoffs, anyway.

- Mars

Shut up seriously, no one is riding Gasol. The fact is you are clearly clueless about basketball if you think Scola and Gasol are the same kind of play. Gasol is an all-star talent who puts up big numbers alot of the time. Gasol doesn't show up in the playoffs? none of the series he has been involved in has his team ever been favoured to win many games let alone win a series. Gasol is the 2nd option in L.A, Kobe is their go to guy....gasol took a sorry ass franchise to 50 wins for 3 seasons in the tough west with just role players. He is a very good player.

and no i'm not a laker fan I'm just not a biased homer like most spurs fans on here are.

Harry Callahan
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Shut up seriously, no one is riding Gasol. The fact is you are clearly clueless about basketball if you think Scola and Gasol are the same kind of play. Gasol is an all-star talent who puts up big numbers alot of the time. Gasol doesn't show up in the playoffs? none of the series he has been involved in has his team ever been favoured to win many games let alone win a series. Gasol is the 2nd option in L.A, Kobe is their go to guy....gasol took a sorry ass franchise to 50 wins for 3 seasons in the tough west with just role players. He is a very good player.

and no i'm not a laker fan I'm just not a biased homer like most spurs fans on here are.

Not a Spurs fan either from with I've seen. Why don't you get in a car and drive that car off a cliff. You would do mankind a favor.

phyzik
04-07-2008, 01:07 AM

My question is.... when are you going to change your favorite team name on your profile?

SpursRunHouse
04-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Name says it all.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2008, 03:13 AM
In a 7 game series -

Teams that will test us: Suns, Hornets, Lakers, Jazz, Celtics, Pistons

Teams that might: Warriors, Nuggets

Teams that won't: Mavs, Rockets, Cavs, rest of the East

But until someone comes and takes it away, the trophy is in SA, and the team looks on it's way toward peaking at the right time (hiccups aside).

Timpu
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
We are the Champion!

HC邓肯!

Cry Havoc
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
The Lakers don't worry me. I think it would be a fantastic series, but I have faith in our guys for matchup problems and higher B-Ball IQ.

The Celtics, however, are completely scary. They would test us just like the 05 Finals against Detroit.

703 Spurz
04-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Good to know. I'll turn the TV off and wait until November. Thanks for the heads up

pad300
04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Me personally, I don't think ANY team can handle Triple Towers + Kobe. That's like having The Admiral + Timmy + Rodman + Jordan all at the same time. Even if the Laker 4 was only 80% as good as that 4 above, they would dominate.

Good reefer out there in Lakerland is there?

Kobe < Jordan. Kobe is maybe 80% as good as Jordan. He's at least close.

Odom <<< Rodman (Perhaps the best rebounder ALL TIME, as well as a top 5 defensive forward ALL TIME)

Gasol <<< Timmy

Bynum <<< Admiral

We'll find out if this "superb" Lakers team can take the "old, broken down" Spurs in the playoffs. Currently, my money is on .... NO!

Medvedenko
04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
The Lakers with Gasol 18-3 are the best offensive team in the league.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/05/with-gasol-is-the-laker-offense-unstoppable/

With Gasol, Is the Laker Offense Unstoppable?
Posted Apr 5th 2008 12:45PM by Tom Ziller
Filed under: Lakers, Los Angeles, Featured Stories

Pau Gasol has been back in uniform for two games now, both becoming Laker victories over teams with winning records (Portland and Dallas). The Los Angeles offensive onslaught, as you would imagine, has been vicious -- 104 points in 89 possessions against the Blazers, 112 points in 86 possessions against the Mavs last night.

On-off data from 82games.com would corroborate Pau's positive impact on the offense -- the team has an offensive rating of 119.1 when Gasol is on the floor (versus a figure of 109.8 overall); for perspective, Utah and Phoenix have the best offenses in the league at offensive ratings of 111.2. The Lakers with Gasol are about 7 points better on offense than the freaking Suns.

On-off can be tricky and susceptible to inflation, so -- after the jump -- let's look at the offensive ratings for individual Laker games in which Pau has played.

Here is a rundown, in reverse chronological order, of the Lakers' offensive rating in each game Pau has played at least 10 minutes. Offensive rating (or 'ORtg') is team points scored per 100 possessions, and is used to compare performances independent of tempo. (Some teams play fast, which inflates their point totals.) The NBA average this season is roughly 106, with a range from 111.2 at the high end to 97.5 on the low end.

April 4, at DAL: 130.2 ORtg
April 2, vs POR: 116.9 ORtg
March 11, vs TOR: 125.8 ORtg
March 10, vs SAC: 110.8 ORtg
March 7, vs LAC: 130.8 ORtg
March 4, at SAC: 113.6 ORtg
March 2, vs DAL: 103.8 ORtg
Feb 29, at POR: 118.1 ORtg
Feb 28, vs MIA: 109.3 ORtg
Feb 26, vs POR: 106.7 ORtg
Feb 24, at SEA: 111 ORtg
Feb 23, at LAC: 114.1 ORtg
Feb 20, at PHX: 128.7 ORtg
Feb 19, vs ATL: 120.8 ORtg
Feb 13, at MIN: 115.8 ORtg
Feb 11, at CHA: 119.1 ORtg
Feb 10, at MIA: 108.3 ORtg
Feb 8, at ORL: 130 ORtg
Feb 6, at ATL: 102.2 ORtg
Feb 5, at NJN: 112.9 ORtg
Feb 3, at WAS: 122.6 ORtg

That's 21 games, with exactly two below league-average offensive nights. In more than half the games -- 11 -- the team went over 115 ORtg. They went over 120 ORtg six times.

This team, with Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom, was a good-to-great offense before Pau. Now, judging by the results, they might be unstoppable. Dallas is the #5 defense in the league (and a potential first-round matchup), and the Lakers just slapped a 130 ORtg on them.Watch out, World.