PDA

View Full Version : Lakers' Bynum may not be ready until playoffs

Magic_Johnson
04-05-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-lakerep5apr05,1,2844884.story

2Cleva
04-05-2008, 09:15 AM
That's not the entire quote

“We’re not anticipating that Andrew has to play in a regular season game,” said Jackson. “The actual experience of playing together is probably best for him and best. Obviously, it takes a different energy and a different level of competition to read it and do it in a game because there’s heightened performances when you get on a floor in the NBA game. But, I think we’ll be fine whether or he plays in a regular season game or starts playing sometime during the playoffs.”

Combine that with the fact that LA is already running Gasol at the PF in practice with Mihm or DJ at the 5 shows they are getting ready for Bynum coming back fully.

Phil playing head games with other teams through the media. He doesn't want anyone to be ready for Bynum.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-05-2008, 09:21 AM
That's not the entire quote

Combine that with the fact that LA is already running Gasol at the PF in practice with Mihm or DJ at the 5 shows they are getting ready for Bynum coming back fully.

Phil playing head games with other teams through the media. He doesn't want anyone to be ready for Bynum.

Yeah, because I'm sure no team is smart enough to prepare for Bynum, that thought won't cross anyone's mind. Every coach just can't hang with Phyllis :rolleyes

2Cleva
04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Aggie - Oh, I know he's now CIA Pop or anything but he tries....

Anyway....a more accurate view of what LA wants to do with Bynum:

BYNUM'S PLAN

Bynum sat on the bench with his teammates and shared lots of laughs with them, which is what he plans to do on the upcoming trip to Sacramento and Portland: “I'm just going to bond with my teammates,” he said.

Bryant sat next to Bynum and talked through the opening minutes of the fourth quarter — when Odom was leading a strong charge with Gasol also resting. Something Bynum and Jackson emphasized in comments before the game is that Bynum's on-court bonding with teammates is more likely to happen during what is likely to be three days off before the playoffs start.

“We're not anticipating Andrew has to play in a regular-season game,” Jackson said. “The actual experience of playing together is probably best formed and best learned and coached on the court during a practice session, where we have the ability to play and work things out together.”

Bynum said he hopes to have a “tuneup” in the final two regular-season games but will not play before then. In any case, he is looking forward to those off days before the postseason “to get a bunch of hard practices in.”

One of the things the Lakers will practice then and have already, Jackson revealed, is Gasol making way for Bynum at center by moving to power forward — which is a more complicated spot in the triangle offense to learn. Jackson is also wary of how Gasol and Bynum can defend together given their lack of footspeed and tendencies to hunt for blocks.

Jackson's dream sequence would be to clinch the Western Conference's top seed early and be able to use the regular-season finale against Sacramento to let Bynum get acclimated again. They are 1 1/2 games behind New Orleans and play host to the Hornets on Friday. After the game Jackson mentioned seeking home-court advantage through the playoffs in addressing his team, saying: “Congrats, but that's not good enough.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/la-lakers-lamar-2012130-odom-pau

Laker fans - don't go to the Times first. Ding with the OC Register has been on point for the last 2 years. Best beat for LA by far and is obviously close with Phil, Bynum, and Kobe.

duncan228
04-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Laker fans - don't go to the Times first. Ding with the OC Register has been on point for the last 2 years. Best beat for LA by far and is obviously close with Phil, Bynum, and Kobe.

Spurs fan, but I'm in complete agreement with you on Kevin Ding. I'm in OC, I read him every day. The guy is great. I think it won't be long before we lose him to a national gig.

DazedAndConfused
04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Yup Ding is the best. He actually posts over on LG.

Tradition
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Dumbass move for the Lakers if they actually wait until game 1 of the playoffs to play him.

If he isnt ready to go near the end of this week, then shut him down for the year. Id rather him start to begin shaking any kind of beginning rust/adjusting rather than starting that shit in the postseason.

2Cleva
04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Dumbass move for the Lakers if they actually wait until game 1 of the playoffs to play him.

If he isnt ready to go near the end of this week, then shut him down for the year. Id rather him start to begin shaking any kind of beginning rust/adjusting rather than starting that shit in the postseason.

One - if he can play without hurting himself - no reason not to bring him back.

The playoffs - if they make a full run - is 2 months long - there is plenty of time for him to work his way back.

He's expected to play the last 2 games of the season. There are 3 days between LA's last game and the playoffs start. You can bank on the first round lasting at least 2 weeks.

That's 3 weeks for him to get back in the groove with the team before the 2nd round. More than plenty of time.

Already, LA is running practice with Gasol at the 4 and Mihm/DJ at the 5. Bynum coming back will be just as smooth as when they added Gasol.

phyzik
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
One - if he can play without hurting himself -

Key word.

Also, do you REALLY expect him to come back in the game shape he was? Really?

You got some sky high fucking hopes if so.

Medvedenko
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
He'll be fine...I've seen the training videos and remember he's not fucking Kurt Thomas he's 20 years old. He looks like he's in great shape already from what I've seen lately. He's running and playing non contact ball for last couple of weeks.

Purple & Gold
04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
LA Times:
Andrew Bynum graduated from playing one-on-one with former players to going up against a current player.

Assistant coaches Kurt Rambis and Brian Shaw took turns against Bynum on Saturday and Sunday, and Chris Mihm went one-on-one with him Monday after practice.

"He's getting a little activity," Jackson said. "He looked pretty good. He's a big kid, he's strong, he's running a lot better. He's still a little bit short [with his shot]. Just a little bit."

"We'll watch him progress along and see if he wants to join the action [in practice] here at the end of the week, see what it looks like. He did some practicing [Monday], but it's not contact, not moving around through traffic and that kind of stuff. But it's close."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep8apr08,1,392109.story