PDA

View Full Version : That was a horrible night

YoMamaIsCallin
04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Spurs are simply beat down like a freshman team getting beat up by the varsity. It wasn't that they were missing shots. They weren't even getting to shoot the ball. The Jazz simply outworked, outhustled, outphysicaled, and outenergied the Spurs by a huge factor.

And, in the standings, the Spurs lose, and the Jazz, Rockets, Hornets, and Lakers all win. The Spurs are now cemented below the Hornets, I see no way they can catch up. The Hornets would have to lose 3 more than the Spurs with only 7 games left for the Hornets (6 for the Spurs).

I'm even looking at whether the Spurs can keep a top-4 seed. They have to beat out the Rockets in their division, and the Suns in the Pacific, to stay in the top 4. Both the Rockets and Suns are one game behind the Spurs right now. The Spurs own the tiebreak against the Rockets, so that's effectively a two-game lead. If the Spurs beat the Suns when they play, the Spurs will also own that tiebreak. If the Spurs drop a couple more games in the last 6, they'll probably plummet to the 5 or even 6 seed. In either case they'd be facing the Suns, Rockets, or Jazz in the first round, then the Hornets or Lakers in the second. Very, very tough. They'd much rather stay at a 2 seed and get the Nuggets or Warriors in the first round. Or maybe they'd get Dallas -- and who knows how that would go, that team is so up and down.

The only semi-good news is that Dallas lost again so we can take pleasure in their continued slide. But at this point I think the Spurs would have a tough time with any of the other top 8 teams, so I don't know if having Dallas eliminated would do them any good. If the Spurs slip any more they'll get Utah or the Suns in the first round. That won't be fun either.

Bruno
04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
This loss could be a blessing in disguise seeding wise and could allow Spurs to avoid Mavs in the first round.

ballhog
04-05-2008, 10:22 AM
It might have been the bad Gatorade.....

http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/33451

DarrinS
04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
This loss could be a blessing in disguise seeding wise and could allow Spurs to avoid Mavs in the first round.

Why would we want to avoid the Mavs?

BuzzerBeater
04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
A kick in the rear will get us in gear

Bruno
04-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Why would we want to avoid the Mavs?

Because they are a very good team and Dirk is a matchup nightmare for Spurs.

Lakers, Mavs and Suns are, in this order, Spurs' biggest threats.
Nuggets, Jazz and Hornets are quality opponents.
Rockets and Warriors suck.

BuzzerBeater
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
No one yet has seen the Spurs play in the '08 playoffs.

Everything said at this point about what this team can do is speculation, current trends be damned.

Crystal-balling the Spurs gets extremely risky every year as most of the respectable, hard-boiled crusty sports media people will tell you.

I'll order the funeral wreath as soon as I read the official obit that says they're done.

I will never count out the Spurs.

This year to me turns out to be their biggest challenge in once again assuming the mantle of champion because of the retrofitted teams and tight races for seeding.

My nails are shorter this year for one thing, but my belief remains strong, Pop, Tim and crew will find a way.