PDA

View Full Version : RaysTalk 2K8 Thread

AFBlue
04-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I figure if the Rangers, Astros, Yankees, Tigers, Mariners and D-Backs are entitled....

The Rays have a powerful young lineup, an ace (maybe two), and solid bullpen.

If the back-end of the rotation pans out and stud 3B prospect Evan Longoria joins the team sooner rather than later....they'll be at .500 and may be contending for a playoff spot.

Who knows, stranger things have happened. They certainly have the talent.

AFBlue
04-05-2008, 02:10 PM
BTW, they beat the Yankees last night and have a four-run lead going into the 7th in the second game of the series....

Update: 6 - 3 W over Yankees

ClingingMars
04-05-2008, 02:12 PM
yawn. i still call 'em the devil rays.

- Mars

AFBlue
04-05-2008, 02:41 PM
yawn. i still call 'em the devil rays.

- Mars

Call 'em whatever you want....

They just might be legit.

T Park
04-05-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah no...

AFBlue
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Rays 2nd in the AL East and three games over .500...

Evan Longoria is a stud at 3B and they just got back their ace, Scott Kazmir.

JMarkJohns
05-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I called the Rays being 2nd in the Division, beating out the Yankees and being a .500 or better club in the predictions thread. Hopefully they keep this up and make me look smart!

Thunder Dan
05-10-2008, 11:31 AM
they will fade

AFBlue
05-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Kaz (in second game back) and the bullpen combine to pitch a three-hit shutout of the Angels. Oh, and they got Cliff Floyd back today....who was hitting .333 with 2 jacks in 4 games at the beginning of the season.

AFBlue
05-10-2008, 09:34 PM
they will fade

What's the logic behind that?

The top of their rotation is above average with Shields, Kaz, and Garza....and they've got Sonnanstine, Jackson, Hammel, and Niemann (AAA) as potential players to fill out the back-end.

They've got a good closer in Percival, not to mention Wheeler and Reyes (last year's closer) as solid setup guys.

Crawford and Upton are potential all-stars.

Aki and Navarro are underrated.

Longoria is odds-on favorite for ROY.

Hinske has been an unexpected surprise.

The only real question is RF....but with the pitching surplus I mentioned previously (add Price, McGee, and Davis to that list), the Rays could be active traders at the deadline to shore it up.

Again....just curious to see how you came to your conclusion.

BRHornet45
05-11-2008, 05:01 AM
LMAO is this seriously a DEVIL RAYS THREAD!??? (I refuse to stop calling them the DEVIL rays)

JMarkJohns
05-11-2008, 09:31 AM
What's the logic behind that?

He doesn't have any. He'll site that they are the Rays and that no amount of name-changing will improve their situation. For him, they have to fade. And not just fade, but completely fall apart, but in the predictions thread, he railed on those of us who thought the Rays could actually do something.

AFBlue
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
He doesn't have any. He'll site that they are the Rays and that no amount of name-changing will improve their situation. For him, they have to fade. And not just fade, but completely fall apart, but in the predictions thread, he railed on those of us who thought the Rays could actually do something.

I thought so, but I figured if I presented every which way to prove him wrong he'd have nothing to say.

I'm by no means claiming that the Rays are going to win the World Series or even make the playoffs....but they can't be considered the laughing stock of the AL anymore.

That has everything to do with their players and play....it has nothing to do with what they're called (BRHornet45 can call them whatever he wants).

AFBlue
05-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Rays are first place in the AL East and have won 11 straight home games...

AFBlue
05-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Oh, and they just locked up their 24yr old ace (Scott Kazmir) for the next three seasons beyond this one with an option for the fourth.

Thunder Dan
05-15-2008, 08:43 AM

it's only May guys...the Rays will fade just like the Brewers last year. Edwin Jackson won't keep it up, Sonnestine won't keep it up so they will have to rely on Kazmir and Shields to win the division for them. It will be Yanks/Red Sox again like always. I get why people are on the Rays bandwagon, but it's still May, they have a bunch of young guys and career stiffs so they will fade with time. Someone will get hurt, or they will hit a bad couple of games and the bomb will be dropped on the Rays bandwagon. The fans will head for the hills and the players will melt to the pressure.

I thought so, but I figured if I presented every which way to prove him wrong he'd have nothing to say.

I was too busy watching the Indians' pitching staff shut people out, sorry I didn't read the thread

And your right, just because they changed their name to The Rays and took out 'Devil' doesn't mean they arn't a organization built around losing.

But for the record, I would love to eat crow and have the Rays in the playoffs because a) I'm sure the atmosphere in their convention center will be crazy and b) the Indians will be that much closer to a World Series. Also, it will be funny to see all the residents from Tampa jump off the Yankees bandwagon and on to the Rays bandwagon come August...it will be so pathetic

JMarkJohns
05-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I just don't see how you can say with any confidence that the Yankees will pull out of their rut. Not only are they injured, but they are old and/or inexperienced and, to make matters worse, poorly coached thus far. The Rays look far superior to anything the Yankees have been resembling.

I never said the Rays would win the Division. I said theid they'd be the fifth-best record. I did say that they'd be the second-best team in the AL East, however, and battle for 85 wins.

JMarkJohns
05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Actually, I just double checked... I said they'd finish ahead of Baltimore and Toronto and around the same as New York. I said 80-to-85 wins...

Thunder Dan
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
I just don't see how you can say with any confidence that the Yankees will pull out of their rut. Not only are they injured, but they are old and/or inexperienced and, to make matters worse, poorly coached thus far. The Rays look far superior to anything the Yankees have been resembling.

I never said the Rays would win the Division. I said theid they'd be the fifth-best record. I did say that they'd be the second-best team in the AL East, however, and battle for 85 wins.

Because the Yanks have a ton of injuries they are fighting through right now, plus they started off worse last year and that didn't keep them out of the playoffs.

JMarkJohns
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Last year they had a manager who'd been there before. Girardi has like 3/4ths a season under his belt coming in. I'm just not sure where you can see New York having anywhere near the potential that the Rays have. The Yankees are a tragic mix of old players, inexperienced players and injured players being managed by a new staff.

AFBlue
05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Because the Yanks have a ton of injuries they are fighting through right now, plus they started off worse last year and that didn't keep them out of the playoffs.

It wasn't the Yankees, but instead the Rays that were leading the league in trips to the DL for a while. And the guys they were missing (Kazmir, Reyes, Floyd, Navarro, etc.) weren't end-of-the-bench role players.

Yankee talent is overrated.

What hasn't even been said yet is that the Rays offense, which should be feared, is actually off to a pretty slow start. It has been their pitching keeping them in most of the games.

Finally...I'll give you that Jackson and Sonnanstine may hit a wall or go through some inconsistent times....but at least Kaz and Shields (and probably Garza) give them a more solid top of the rotation than most of the league. So imagine if those other two DON'T hit a wall.

It all adds up to a pretty solid season, which is why I don't see your pessimism.

Thunder Dan
05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Finally...I'll give you that Jackson and Sonnanstine may hit a wall or go through some inconsistent times....but at least Kaz and Shields (and probably Garza) give them a more solid top of the rotation than most of the league. So imagine if those other two DON'T hit a wall.

I got a hit off Sonnanstine in high school...so if I can hit him..anyone can!

AFBlue
05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I got a hit off Sonnanstine in high school...so if I can hit him..anyone can!

Sounds like you should be rooting for him then....if he turns out to be a stud, it'd be your claim to fame. :lol

Oh, and FWIW I think Sonny is destined for a long relief role. He's been pretty solid for the Rays but his stuff doesn't rival that of Price, McGee, or Davis.

Update: Sonny with the win over the Cards...8IP, 8H, 1ER, 4Ks

Thunder Dan
05-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Sounds like you should be rooting for him then....if he turns out to be a stud, it'd be your claim to fame. :lol

Oh, and FWIW I think Sonny is destined for a long relief role. He's been pretty solid for the Rays but his stuff doesn't rival that of Price, McGee, or Davis.

Update: Sonny with the win over the Cards...8IP, 8H, 1ER, 4Ks

I'm actually friends with him, he is my high school buddy's roommate in college. We all went to the same college, Kent State

AFBlue
05-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Just thought I'd update...

Rays are the winners of 4 straight, atop the AL East, and have the best winning percentage in MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

Look, you can say that it's only May and that they'll fade...but nobody can say these are the same "Devil" Rays that were the laughing stock of the league for a decade.

FlavoredIcecream
05-27-2008, 12:26 AM
lulz Devil Rays. :lol

AFBlue
06-01-2008, 05:47 PM
It's June and the Rays are still atop the AL East with the second best winning percentage in the MLB (best in AL).

They've got Kazmir back healthy and he's been dealing. The rest of their pitching staff, despite some doubters, has managed to stay pretty solid.

Their two top hitters (Crawford and Upton) have started to come around, but still haven't hit full stride. They're getting decent production from their rookie 3B, Evan Longoria, but he's only going to get better.

Bottom Line: At this point, the Rays look like legit contenders for the wild card going into the Summer. Obviously there's alot of baseball to be played, but the Rays are exceeding even the most out-there expectations thus far.

T Park
06-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Wild Card is theirs for the taking IMO.

Its june 1st and still VERY early, BUT, unlike the Brewers, the Rays seem to have a damn good bully.

If the youngsters can keep hitting and the starters hold up, they will get the wild card easily.

The division? Obviously Boston will take that over in a few weeks and coast in on that.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Rays selected GA High School SS, Tim Beckham with the first pick of the draft....

Gotta say this surprised me somewhat because the team has been historically thin at the catching position and had a chance to draft Buster Posey out of FSU.

Having said that, they clearly got the best long-term potential pick in the draft with Beckham. By all accounts, he's a very smooth fielder with good athleticism that should be able to stick at SS. He's got decent power that could grow with time.

I wouldn't anticipate them needing to rush him through the minors with Bartlett and Brignac holding down the fort for now...I'd give it 3 years at a minimum.

Had to post something positive, given the sweep by the Red Sox, Pena DL news, and subsequent suspensions from last night's brawl being handed down.

AFBlue
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Okay, so more good news from tonight....Red Sox, Jays, and Yankees lost. And the Rays are about to close the door on the Rangers with a 12-2 rout. The only question I have for the ballclub....where the hell were those bats in the Boston series?

T Park
06-07-2008, 03:40 AM
I think Boston intimidates them just a little.

Just from what little of tha tseries I could watch.

AFBlue
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
I think Boston intimidates them just a little.

Just from what little of tha tseries I could watch.

Agreed. Didn't help that Pena went on the DL, but you could definitely see that they weren't comfortable offensively in that series at all. Hell, they let Justin Masterson shut them down.

I'll say this....at least the Yankees don't appear to get them rattled anymore.

Mr Dio
06-07-2008, 02:43 PM
...They've got Kazmir back healthy and he's been dealing. The rest of their pitching staff, despite some doubters, has managed to stay pretty solid.

Their two top hitters (Crawford and Upton) have started to come around, but still haven't hit full stride. They're getting decent production from their rookie 3B, Evan Longoria, but he's only going to get better.

Just wait til next yr (or the end of this summer) when Hellickson starts getting much more press. The guy is a stud. Dare I say their #2 man within 4yrs?

AFBlue
06-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Just wait til next yr (or the end of this summer) when Hellickson starts getting much more press. The guy is a stud. Dare I say their #2 man within 4yrs?

It's true....the pitching in the Rays' farm system is an embarrassment of riches. They've got one ready-made starter in AAA (Niemann), two in AA (Davis & McGee), and two in A ball (Price & Hellickson).

On Hellickson, there's no doubt the kid has been dominant. But, before he goes up there with Kaz and Shields he's going to have to prove he can do it above A-ball.

Keep in mind, both Wade Davis and Jake McGee were dominant in A-ball as well and have struggled slightly with the transition to AA. I think both will actually work through it because they've got the stuff, but it's certainly one of the "make or break" stops along the way to the bigs.

I'm hopeful Hellickson will get the call up to AA to prove he can handle it sooner rather than later and think that if he continues to improve he'll be in the bigs by 2010 at the latest.

T Park
06-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Agreed. Didn't help that Pena went on the DL, but you could definitely see that they weren't comfortable offensively in that series at all. Hell, they let Justin Masterson shut them down.

I'll say this....at least the Yankees don't appear to get them rattled anymore.

I would hope not, the Yankees suck :lol

AFBlue
06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I would hope not, the Yankees suck :lol

Yankees Suck...THHHEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEEES SUCK!

:lol

AFBlue
06-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Rays opened up the series against LA with back-to-back-to-back jacks. Longoria, their stud 3B prospect, also homered later in the game for his second of the night.

They're still lacking consistency from the back of their rotation, but their bullpen has been pretty solid and they've got enough prospects to buy an arm if they really needed to.

FlavoredIcecream
06-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Wild Card is theirs for the taking IMO.

Its june 1st and still VERY early, BUT, unlike the Brewers, the Rays seem to have a damn good bully.

If the youngsters can keep hitting and the starters hold up, they will get the wild card easily.

The division? Obviously Boston will take that over in a few weeks and coast in on that.

The Yankees will take the division. Not Boston. But its okay. :toast

AFBlue
06-20-2008, 06:27 AM
The Yankees will take the division. Not Boston. But its okay. :toast

Their best starting pitcher just got shelved for how long? Not sure they've got what it takes this year...

Meanwhile, the Rays just completed a three-game sweep of the Cubbies in comeback fashion with a 7-run 7th, including a grand slam by Carl Crawford. :wow

This is a team that has managed to stay at or near the top of the AL east into mid-June despite never really having it's full compliment of players. Pena is almost healthy and the suspensions should be served by the end of the month.....July should show just how good these Rays can be.

Should be fun!

AFBlue
07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Rays sweep the BoSox to open up July with a 3 1/2 game lead on Boston in the AL East. They've got the best win % in baseball and we're nearing the halfway point for the season.

Where are all the "devil" rays haters now?

Horry For 3!
07-03-2008, 01:07 AM
It is funny that I was telling people last year that the Rays are gonna be sick this year and they all laughed at me. So far I am right.

tlongII
07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
I will root for them since my M's suck ass this year.

T Park
07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Rays sweep the BoSox to open up July with a 3 1/2 game lead on Boston in the AL East. They've got the best win % in baseball and we're nearing the halfway point for the season.

Where are all the "devil" rays haters now?

Not here, I like the team, and its not hard rooting for the ex Cardinal Troy Percival (whos on the DL alot this year apparently).

They are a fun young team to root for. Damn them for making me scour the internets for an Evan Longoria jersey :toast

Keep it up TB and take the damn division.

Fuck the east coast.

AFBlue
07-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Not here, I like the team, and its not hard rooting for the ex Cardinal Troy Percival (whos on the DL alot this year apparently).

They are a fun young team to root for. Damn them for making me scour the internets for an Evan Longoria jersey :toast

Keep it up TB and take the damn division.

Fuck the east coast.

At least Percy does well when he's not on the DL...:lol. But yeah, he's got to stop these little minor injuries.

The positive thing is that the Rays seem to have enough depth to cover in his absence. More than that, Percival means alot to this team whether he's on the field or not with his mentorship and veteran presence. The bullpen and staff seem to be pitching with confidence and have a swagger like never before...and he has been a BIG part of that.

You could almost say he's been the MVP of this pitching staff.

And Longoria is sick...nuff said. BA up to .282, 15 jacks so far this season, and playing gold glove calibur defense....dude is legit.

Boston is still in the rear-view mirror for the division, but the crazy thing is that the bats of Upton, Crawford, and Pena have yet to really come alive. They could seriously make a run at the division...not sure even I would've said that (as a fan) at the beginning of this year.

Thunder Dan
07-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I was wrong at the beginning of the year...the rays are legit

bostonguy
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Props to the Devil Rays as well. 7 game lead and they are getting better. The big question is lets see if they can keep this up the 2nd half of the season. Either way they have caught my attention as a team that is one to look out for.

AFBlue
07-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Rays just missed a sweep of the Royals by giving up a couple extra-inning home runs. They killed themselves by stranding runners in scoring position, but it's their first loss in 8games.

There's also a rumor that they're going to make the Rockies an offer for Brian Fuentes. I'm not sure what prospect it would take to get him, but the fact that the Rays are willing to take on salary and give up a prospect to "rent" a player for the post-season run....that's a statement in and of itself.

Whether it's Fuentes or a RHB outfielder (Bay?), I expect the Rays to make a play for immediate help. They certainly have the prospects to do so....and as long as it's not David Price, I'll be happy.

Cry Havoc
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Something that could be troubling for the Rays...

I was looking at the divisional records yesterday, and I noticed something. They've won 36 games at home this year. Meanwhile, they've only played 39 games on the road, TOTAL. They have played 11 more games at home than on the road, where they are under .500 for the year. This could mean they have to win a number of tough series on the road late in the season, where they are inconsistent at best.

I don't think it will cost them a playoffs spot, but I wouldn't bet on them being the best team in baseball yet going into the final week of the season.

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Something that could be troubling for the Rays...

I was looking at the divisional records yesterday, and I noticed something. They've won 36 games at home this year. Meanwhile, they've only played 39 games on the road, TOTAL. They have played 11 more games at home than on the road, where they are under .500 for the year. This could mean they have to win a number of tough series on the road late in the season, where they are inconsistent at best.

I don't think it will cost them a playoffs spot, but I wouldn't bet on them being the best team in baseball yet going into the final week of the season.

Oh, they've still got alot to prove....and winning on the road is one of those things.

The major thing is that they need to start hitting. Last year they had one of the better young offenses in the majors, and the surprising thing is that they've essentially done without during their first-half run.

Sure, they've gotten production out of guys like Hinske and Navarro has started to realize his potential, but they haven't had the Crawford, Upton, or Pena that we saw from last year's squad.

Personally, I think they need to make one or two more moves to shore up the team, because even now they look vulnerable.

manufor3
07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
chicago white sox will shock the world

Thunder Dan
07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
don't come into Cleveland thinking your gonna win anything Rays!

bostonguy
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Sox are only 2 games in the L column behind the Drays despite having Ortiz out. When this team can get Papi back, they are going to be rolling! DRAYs lost their big lead they had on the Sox. You guys have your work cut out for you now. Here comes the champs!

AFBlue
07-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Rays have posted a respectable .667 winning percentage post All-Star break, and while that ain't bad they've got the defending WS champs in the rearview and the Yankees fast approaching.

They understand their weaknesses and have been looking to acquire a right-handed hitting outfielder (RF) and a lefty for the pen. That's why it's troubling that in the last few days they've missed out on trading for both Casey Blake and Xavier Nady.

The sticking point thus far is Tampa's unwillingess to include any of their top 3 pitching prospects (Price, Davis, Hellickson) or top position prospect (SS Reid Brignac) in any deal.

The other options available (Texiera, Fuentes, Bay) all would likely command at least one of those, so they're likely out as well. Then there was a report published that the Rays may stay in-house and call-up Baldelli and Price if they need the extra help in RF and the bullpen.

Price is intriguing and has the tools and mental makeup to pitch in September and October, IMO. But they may actually need him at the tail end of the rotation before all is said and done. And Baldelli is a good guy, but being diagnosed with a disorder that causes extreme fatigue isn't exactly promising for someone who is supposed to contribute...even if it is a platoon situation.

Bottom Line: Rays are probably doing the smart thing by not selling the farm to rent talent, but they need to do SOMETHING or they'll be the team that had a hot first half and proved they weren't ready for the big time when push came to shove.

AFBlue
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Looks like the Rays stood pat after all was said and done. In all reality, the Rays are not going to be challenging for the title this year so it was probably smart not to leverage their future on a guy like Bay.

I guess it now comes down to Baldelli/Gomes/Ruggiano to be the RHB outfielder. Not the greatest proposition, but if they flame out in the next few months I think the Rays will DEFINITELY upgrade in the winter or spring.

Oh well, it's Aug 1st and the Rays are STILL in 1st place in the AL East. Here's hoping their bats come alive and they're in it for the long haul. :toast

AFBlue
08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
While all the talk is revolving around Manny Ramirez and his Boston replacement (Bay), the Rays are keeping up the pace.

They've won 7 of their last 8 games...the latest of which was a come-from-behind, six-run rally in the 9th inning highlighted by two bombs courtesy of Gabe Gross and Carlos Pena.

They're coming up on a milestone for the franchise (eclipsing 70 wins), and it looks they're showing no signs of slowing down. Keep in mind, the Rays are still expected to call up their stud LHP David Price to solidify their bullpen and will add more RHB depth with Baldelli, who when healthy can be a valuable contributor to the team.

I'm excited about this team's potential and think for the first time they're believing they can make some noise in October. Good time to be a Rays fan!

AFBlue
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Just watched a replay of the comeback....awesome! They sent six batters to the plate and got six runs, two doubles, a single, a walk, and two home runs....walked off with no outs.

What's crazy...they manufactured 10 runs without Crawford or Upton in the lineup. Guys like Hinske, Gross, and Bartlett continue to step up for them....not to mention the steady production of Evan Longoria and the emerging play of power-hitter Carlos Pena.

This team is good....really good.

AFBlue
08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Rays just eclipsed their previous season high of 70 wins...

And they did it by getting contributions from their utility infielder and backup catcher.

It was also the first game back for Rocco Baldelli...who is another good story, like J-Hamilton w/o the drug abuse.

Rays keep on rolling.

AFBlue
08-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Rays got hit pretty hard in the past week with the loss of Carl Crawford (hand surgery) out for the remainder of the regular season and their stud ROY candidate 3B Evan Longoria (fractured wrist), who will be out until at least September.

And now it looks like their steady bullpen veteran Troy Percival is headed to the DL as well.

Just when it looked like the Rays could potentially run away with the AL East and make a deep run in the post-season they've hit a big wall. But, with the help of guys like Willy Aybar (3B), Eric Hinske (LF), and Dan Wheeler (CL) they'll be able to tread water and keep themselves in the race.

Here's hoping...:toast

AFBlue
08-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Garza w/ a two-hit shutout and Aybar/Hinske/Floyd/Gross with dingers.

AFBlue
08-23-2008, 11:33 AM
As of today, the Rays have the best record in baseball.

Here's another little known stat....

If the Rays only play .500 ball the rest of the season (18-17), the Red Sox would have to play .647 ball (22-12) just to tie them...and the Sox are under .600 for the season.

It looks like the Rays winning the AL East is a real possibility at this point. HOW CRAZY IS THAT!?!

AFBlue
08-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Rays with ANOTHER come-from-behind win! Can they fucking lose? Seriously! They're doing all this without their perennial all-star LF Carl Crawford and their likely ROY 3B Evan Longoria.

Someone take notice and recognize what the fuck is going on!

AFBlue
08-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Going into the last day in August the Rays have the best record in the American League and are winners of four straight.

They continue to get contributions from guys like Willy Aybar, Rocco Baldelli, and their pen while Longoria, Crawford, and Percy are out.

Percy should be back later this week and Longoria not too much longer after that. If Crawford can get healthy by the post season, this team has enough talent to make a deep run into the playoffs.

Also, look for them to shore up their weakness of LHP by adding super-prospect David Price and maybe making a run at Brian Fuentes if they don't get blocked.

Update: Rays won their game today and Cubbies are down 3 going into the 9th....so it looks like the Rays may go into September with the highest winning percentage in baseball!

AFBlue
09-20-2008, 07:55 PM
With a win today over the Twins, the Tampa Bay Rays have clinched a spot in the post-season!

AFBlue
09-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh, and Boston lost....so that puts them 2 1/2 games up on the Sox WITH the head-to-head tiebreaker (essentially a 3 1/2 game lead).

I thought with their talent and a few lucky breaks they could be contending for a playoff spot, but they have eclipsed any expectation I had for them.

And they've done it without great years from their superstars (Crawford, Upton, Kazmir). Unlikely role players have stepped up and provided a spark here or just some solid play there. And their nerdy-looking coach with all his crazy catch phrases (9=8?) has got this team believing in themselves.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think they have a legitimate shot to be World Series champions!

Of course I'm incredibly biased, but I have to say they are the best TEAM in the league.

samikeyp
09-20-2008, 09:20 PM
:toast

AFBlue
09-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Rays won both games of the double-header today and the magic number is now down to 2 for them to win the AL East....

And Evan Longoria hit another home run, his fourth since coming back from a fractured wrist....I guess it's fine!

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Rays won both games of the double-header today and the magic number is now down to 2 for them to win the AL East....

And Evan Longoria hit another home run, his fourth since coming back from a fractured wrist....I guess it's fine!

Congrats to the Rays.

I lived in St. Petersburg during the period that we had no team, and the Tampa Bay Lightning used the Florida Suncoast Dome as the "Thunder Dome." Good times. Tampa had the biggest facility in the NHL at the time, and tickets were CHEAP.

One of my biggest disappointments ever was Bonds signing with the Giants and effectively killing their move to St. Pete.

Unfortunately, I have never followed the Rays much, because I graduated and moved in 1994.

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
AF Blue,

Are you from the Tampa area?

I ask because I just realized that I have seen more baseball games at Al Lang Stadium than all other facilities combined. Is it still just a grandstand and bleachers down the lines? That stadium is crazy. I almost fell into the harbor a few times trying to go after foul balls from the left foul line bleachers.

Horry For 3!
09-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Well I figured Rays were gonna be good this year but I didn't know they gonna be this good. Not bad.

AFBlue
09-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Rays rallied from an early six-run defecit to beat the Orioles last night and sweep that series.

Magic Number to win the AL East down to 1....a Tampa win in Detroit this afternoon or a Boston loss in Cleveland tonight could do it.

AFBlue
09-27-2008, 10:29 AM
AF Blue,

Are you from the Tampa area?

I ask because I just realized that I have seen more baseball games at Al Lang Stadium than all other facilities combined. Is it still just a grandstand and bleachers down the lines? That stadium is crazy. I almost fell into the harbor a few times trying to go after foul balls from the left foul line bleachers.

Unfortunately I'm not from the Tampa area and haven't been there to see a game...spring training or otherwise. I moved to the Southeast (actually closer to ATL) about 4 years ago and have been following the Rays since then.

AFBlue
09-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Well it may not have been the ideal way to clinch the AL East title, losing two straight to Detroit and relying on the Yankees...yes the Yankees to beat Boston and clinch it for the Rays.

Congratulations to the Rays for not only making the post-season, but finishing ahead of the powerhouse Red Sox and Yankees w/ their bloated payrolls!

Now it's time for the Rays to focus on the post-season and begin preparations for whatever team awaits them. They've got a winning record against the White Sox and have split with the Twins.

It should be interesting...

T Park
09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
For the Rays and the Rays's fans sake. I hope they haven't peaked and are wearing out.

AFBlue
09-27-2008, 12:36 PM
For the Rays and the Rays's fans sake. I hope they haven't peaked and are wearing out.

The question I have is about pitching. More specifically, how will Scott Kazmir, who has been terribly inconsistent of late, handle the post-season pressure and will Troy Percival be able to stabilize the bullpen for the post-season run.

They are two very legitimate and currently unanswered questions facing the Rays.

Reggie Miller
09-28-2008, 01:25 AM
The question I have is about pitching. More specifically, how will Scott Kazmir, who has been terribly inconsistent of late, handle the post-season pressure and will Troy Percival be able to stabilize the bullpen for the post-season run.

They are two very legitimate and currently unanswered questions facing the Rays.

Generally, a young team isn't conditioned to play almost 180 games. OTOH, it seems like the problems always show up in the pitching staff the next season, not that postseason. 2004 Cubs, 2007 Tigers, and others come to mind.

T Park
09-28-2008, 01:59 AM
If I'm Rays fan I wouldn't worry about the first round.

I can't see them however getting by Anaheim or Boston. Experience and firepower alone is against them. Had they been able to swing that trade for Jason bay I would put them ahead of Boston.

AFBlue
09-28-2008, 10:37 AM

I can't see them however getting by Anaheim or Boston. Experience and firepower alone is against them. Had they been able to swing that trade for Jason bay I would put them ahead of Boston.

Agreed...it looks grim for them if they get out of the first round. Still, they made it this far by playing solid team ball and believing in themselves...so I wouldn't count them out.

But, I do wish the Jason Bay trade had swung the Rays way.

T Park
09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
No offense I would count em out, but hey, the Rays have been playing with house money since May. Why not.

Reggie Miller
09-28-2008, 02:09 PM

The words "firepower" and "Angels" don't belong in the same sentence, unless that sentence reads:

"Since Vlad is the Angels' best hitter, they suffer from a lack of firepower."

Angels' Team Batting Stats: .268 BA, .329 OBP, .412 SLG, .741 OPS
Rays' Team Batting Stats: .260 BA, .340 OBP, .422 SLG, .761 OPS

Yes, clearly the Rays' are no match for the Angels' "firepower."

AFBlue
09-28-2008, 02:58 PM
The words "firepower" and "Angels" don't belong in the same sentence, unless that sentence reads:

"Since Vlad is the Angels' best hitter, they suffer from a lack of firepower."

Angels' Team Batting Stats: .268 BA, .329 OBP, .412 SLG, .741 OPS
Rays' Team Batting Stats: .260 BA, .340 OBP, .422 SLG, .761 OPS

Yes, clearly the Rays' are no match for the Angels' "firepower."

Very good assessment, though I would agree with TPark about Boston's experience and firepower.

The Angels would be an easier opponent for the second round if the Rays get there for sure.

Reggie Miller
09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Very good assessment, though I would agree with TPark about Boston's experience and firepower.

The Angels would be an easier opponent for the second round if the Rays get there for sure.

I won't argue about Boston so much, but people are seriously overestimating the Angels. Tampa should easily dispatch the WhiteSox or Twins. I think it is a foregone conclusion if they draw the WhiteSox.

Tampa v. Boston should be really competitive:

Tampa Hitting v. Boston Pitching .264 BA, .320 OBP, .466 SLG, .786 OPS
Boston Hitting v. Tampa Pitching .258 BA, .351 OBP, .413 SLG, .764 OPS

AFBlue
09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
I won't argue about Boston so much, but people are seriously overestimating the Angels. Tampa should easily dispatch the WhiteSox or Twins. I think it is a foregone conclusion if they draw the WhiteSox.

Tampa v. Boston should be really competitive:

Tampa Hitting v. Boston Pitching .264 BA, .320 OBP, .466 SLG, .786 OPS
Boston Hitting v. Tampa Pitching .258 BA, .351 OBP, .413 SLG, .764 OPS

If Tampa draws the White Sox, the only thing I'm concerned about is their left-handed pitching....b/c the Rays are weak on RHB. Other than that, it'd be a pretty easy series.

And I agree about a Tampa/Boston matchup....very intriguing.

Reggie Miller
09-29-2008, 07:24 PM
If Tampa draws the White Sox, the only thing I'm concerned about is their left-handed pitching....b/c the Rays are weak on RHB. Other than that, it'd be a pretty easy series.

And I agree about a Tampa/Boston matchup....very intriguing.

Remember, most above-average players tend to play at the same level in the postseason, given a reasonable sample size. With a mix of newbs and veterans, I don't think the entire team is going to either shrink and/or press for long enough to make a difference against either Chicago or Minnesota.

Tampa has beaten up on most of the AL for most of the season. This isn't a coincidence. If they have a strong start in the ALDS, I like them to make the WS. They need to win the ALDS decisively, reset their rotation, and make some adjustments. I think Boston will kill them, for example, if they eke their way into the ALCS.

AFBlue
10-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Two come-from-behind wins for the resilient Rays, showing they've got the talent AND the mental fortitude to play and win in October.

As they have all year, the bullpen has really stepped up in these first two games. And you have to give credit to both starters for bouncing back from early jitters, not melting down, and giving solid innings.

Another unsung hero has been Willy Aybar, who stepped in for Longoria late in the season and has now played two games for the injured Carlos Pena. He's laying down sac bunts to move players into scoring position and providing good defense at 1B.

But it's really been all about the young rookie 3B Evan Longoria. 3-3 in the first game with 2 solo HRs (one an absolute moonshot) and an RBI single. His second game was less impressive, but still very solid. And throughout, he has played his signature gold-glove calibur defense.

Can't really say enough about this team, and obviously I'm biased....but I've been incredibly impressed with what I've seen thus far. Now they've got to go to the southside of Chicago and hopefully finish them off....no small task with lefty John Danks on the mound.

Looking forward to it...

tlongII
10-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I would love to see the Rays win it all.

AFBlue
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Rays into the ALCS with a win over ChiSox today. BJ Upton belted two solo HRs and they were able to get some timely hitting. Oh yeah, and their bullpen continues to dominate....JP Howell and the Aussie Grant Balfour.

Now they just have to wait and see who they're going to face....BoSox or Angels.

AFBlue
10-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Well I'll be damned....Rays going to the World Series.

Never thought I'd type those words...unbelievable.

JamStone
10-20-2008, 12:13 AM
David Price looks like Tim Duncan.

JamStone
10-20-2008, 12:47 AM
BJ Upton probably deserved ALCS MVP over Garza.

bostonguy
10-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Props to the Drays. I am just happy my Sox left it all on the field. It sucks that it wasnt enough but nothing can be done about that. The better team won.

Drays have no reason NOT to win the world series. They have the players, and the mental toughness to get it done. They were dealt adversity and they overcame it.

ducks
10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
BJ Upton probably deserved ALCS MVP over Garza.

no shit
pitchers hardly ever deserve mvp
just because he pitched when lester faced him might he got it

Reggie Miller
10-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Well I'll be damned....Rays going to the World Series.

Never thought I'd type those words...unbelievable.

I never thought they would have enough pitching all at once to pull it off with their budget/payroll. However, I really thought they had a chance at this when they continued to play well in the second half. Younger teams tend to revert to their mean, because many of their players aren't used to a 162 game schedule.

The real challenge will be next year. I've noticed that teams that make it to the WS without much playoff experience seem to have a lot of sore arms the next April. It definitely happened to White Sox, Tigers, and Rockies.

Mike Ditka referred to the team as the "Tampa Ray Bays" the other night. I say GO RAY BAYS!!!!!

AFBlue
10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Congrats to the Phillies for winning it all, but I don't think you can say enough about the season the Rays had.

Their young stars started to come into their own and they developed the confidence to compete everyday in the toughest division in baseball.

I can guarantee the Red Sox and Yankees are going to add at least one major player to their roster before next season, but I think it will be more interesting to see how the Rays adjust.

Given their limited payroll, I'd like to see the Rays leverage some of their young pitching to get an everyday right-fielder.

Guess we'll see...

bostonguy
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Congrats to the Phillies for winning it all, but I don't think you can say enough about the season the Rays had.

Their young stars started to come into their own and they developed the confidence to compete everyday in the toughest division in baseball.

I can guarantee the Red Sox and Yankees are going to add at least one major player to their roster before next season, but I think it will be more interesting to see how the Rays adjust.

Given their limited payroll, I'd like to see the Rays leverage some of their young pitching to get an everyday right-fielder.

Guess we'll see...

The moral victory talk is worthless at this point. That only holds any value had they of lost in any series but the world series. They manage to make it that far and they couldnt even finish the fucking job. I wanted the team that dethroned mine to be the new champion but they couldnt even do that. It was a wonderful season that ended in failure.

AFBlue
11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
The moral victory talk is worthless at this point. That only holds any value had they of lost in any series but the world series. They manage to make it that far and they couldnt even finish the fucking job. I wanted the team that dethroned mine to be the new champion but they couldnt even do that. It was a wonderful season that ended in failure.

Clearly you're a Red Sox fan that has been blinded by a couple years of recent success.

The Rays had never won 70 games prior to this season. They finished in the basement of the AL East all but one season in their franchise history. They wen't from perennial losers to potential contenders...IN ONE SEASON!

And they're not going anywhere....they have young arms and bats scattered throughout their farm system.

You can say they fell short of the ultimate goal, but when they had SO many franchise "firsts", I don't think you can call that season a failure.

bostonguy
11-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Clearly you're a Red Sox fan that has been blinded by a couple years of recent success.

The Rays had never won 70 games prior to this season. They finished in the basement of the AL East all but one season in their franchise history. They wen't from perennial losers to potential contenders...IN ONE SEASON!

And they're not going anywhere....they have young arms and bats scattered throughout their farm system.

You can say they fell short of the ultimate goal, but when they had SO many franchise "firsts", I don't think you can call that season a failure.

If the Rays hadn't of lost in the world series, I would have called the season a wonderful success. If the roles were reversed between the Rays and Sox in terms of their team history, I'd easily be saying the same exact thing. You made it to the championship round after all of that but you couldn't finish the fucking job. It was a fun season but when you manage to make it to the championship round, I don't care how much of a historical turnaround the team had, you better win it all or it will be a season that will end in the worst way possible. Nothing sucks more than losing/failing in the championship round. Losing in any other round or not even making the playoffs hurts a hell of alot less than to lose in the round that is for all the marbles.