PDA

View Full Version : Sprewell's motivation: 'the ring'

ducks
07-31-2003, 11:47 PM
Sprewell's motivation: 'the ring'
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) _ Few have questioned that anyone on the Minnesota Timberwolves wants to win more than Kevin Garnett. That could change with the arrival of Latrell Sprewell.

``I don't think anyone on this team's hungrier than I am,'' Sprewell said Thursday in his first public appearance as a member of the Timberwolves.

The former New York Knick wasn't questioning Garnett's desire, but Sprewell has been somewhere his new teammate hasn't _ the NBA Finals. The Knicks lost to San Antonio in 1999.

``To be that close with the Knicks just puts a bad taste in your mouth. I'm just dying to get back into that position again,'' Sprewell said.

The Wolves just want to win their first playoff series after seven straight first-round losses. They've taken big steps this offseason with the addition of Sprewell, point guard Sam Cassell and center Michael Olowokandi. But in Sprewell, the Wolves are getting more than just his quick slashes and aggressive defense; they're getting another emotional leader to go with Garnett.

``We play with the same type of passion and energy. I think everybody knows how K.G. plays and I'll bring that same fire and energy to the court,'' Sprewell said.

Like Garnett, Sprewell is known for his powerful, flashy dunks and uncanny agility. Last season, Sprewell averaged 16.4 points and shot only a shade over 40 percent, some of the lowest numbers of his 11-year career.

But Sprewell, 32, is also known for his baggage.

He choked former Golden State coach P.J. Carlesimo while playing for the Warriors in 1997 and received a one-season suspension that was reduced to 68 games. He upset the Knicks by showing up unexpectedly at training camp last season with a broken hand.

The attack on Carlesimo, in particular, has followed him wherever he's gone.

``It's going to linger around so much,'' Sprewell said. ``It'll always be there. But as far as I'm concerned, it's totally in the past and I've moved on.''

Sprewell said he has no bad feelings toward the Knicks, who dealt him to Minnesota in a four-team trade last week. In return, the Knicks got Keith Van Horn from Philadelphia.

Upon learning he was bound for Minnesota, Sprewell said he was initially disappointed, ``because I love New York so much. But then I kind of bumped my head and said, 'Well, there's Sam, me, Wally (Szczerbiak), K.G. and Olowokandi.' So, I started smiling a little bit.''

Asked if he felt the Knicks, who have spiraled down since their 1999 NBA Finals appearance, are headed in the right direction, Sprewell replied: ``Remains to be seen. We'll see what happens.''

For now, his thoughts are on the Wolves.

``The challenge for us is going to have to be to get on the same page,'' Sprewell said.

With Garnett at power forward, Olowokandi at center and Szczerbiak at small forward, Sprewell will be able to shift back to his natural shooting guard position. Coach Flip Saunders said the influx of new starters won't change the Wolves' offensive system.

The offense will still revolve around Garnett, and Sprewell knows that.

``K.G.'s the man,'' he said. ``He's always been looking for players more like myself and Sam and Olowokandi to come in and help take a little bit of pressure off him. Hopefully we can do that.''

Sprewell can identify with Garnett. He carried much of the scoring load when he played for Golden State. But he says he learned to be more of a team player with the 1999 Knicks, who had Allan Houston, Patrick Ewing and Larry Johnson.

``That Knicks team that made it to the finals was pretty deep. ... This is very close,'' he said of the Wolves.

When asked how long the four-time All Star wanted to keep playing, Sprewell simply said, ``I want the ring.'' scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18656343)