PDA

View Full Version : Time to Panic? Does San Antonio Have the goods to win the West?

Princess Pimp
04-06-2008, 12:18 AM
According to Charley Rosen and I fully agree, The Spurs are not going far this postseason...

Here is the article Read and Weep!

Spurs' blowout loss leaves gaping questions

Game Time: Jazz 90, Spurs 64

In years past, the Spurs have stepped-up their often ho-hum regular-season performances into a full-bore playoff mode during their annual rodeo road trip, which usually takes place after the All-Star game. But this year, they've waited until late-March to step on the gas — winning eight straight before getting pounded by the Jazz.
Was the humiliating defeat merely an aberration for the defending champs? Or did the game reveal any potentially fatal flaws in the Spurs game plan?

Here's what happened:

OFFENSE

The Jazz swarmed to the middle on virtually every ball-penetration. Only Tony Parker was able to find the hoop (often in sensational style) on his drives — 7-14, four assists, 17 points. Otherwise, every interior shot was challenged — many of them successfully.

In all the Spurs missed nine layups — two each by Parker, Eme Udoka, and Manu Ginobili, and one each by Fabricio Oberto, Jacque Vaughn, and Kurt Thomas. That adds up to 18 squandered points that would certainly have made a difference in the outcome.

San Antonio's mid-range game was good enough to win — 11-24 — but their 3-point shooting was atrocious — 2-12 — and their interior scoring was unsteady. For the game, they shot a collective 36.4%.

In addition to collapsing in the middle, the Jazz also slipped a defender into the direct-line passing lanes. That's primarily why Utah came up with 10 steals.

By scrambling on defense, the Jazz likewise forced the Spurs to uptempo their half-court offense — a pace that was obviously out of the visitors' comfort zone.

Oberto, in particular, was a victim of the speeded-up tempo — 0-1, no points, three turnovers. As was Michael Finley — 1-4, two points.

I've been insisting all season that the best way to contain Tim Duncan is to double him late, i.e., when he puts the ball on the floor — which is exactly what Utah did. As a result, TD was often forced to shoot in a crowd and wound up with only 6-12, one assist, and 15 points, to go with three turnovers.

Ronnie Price and Andrei Kirilenko both did admirable jobs of denying Ginobili, thereby limiting the Spurs' go-to scorer to 2-12, one assist, and eight points, while also inducing two turnovers.

Perhaps the most significant aspect of Utah's smothering defense was its physicality. Cutters were bumped, bodies collided, and unavoidable fouls were committed with bone-to-bone ferocity.

What with the quickened pace and the routine banging, San Antonio's precision offense simply broke down — especially in the 2nd half. A measure of this was the fact that the Spurs recorded only eight assists on their 24 buckets.

DEFENSE

The Jazz were just as physical on offense, nailing defenders on brutal screens, taking advantage of every switch by being extremely aggressive in post-ups. For example, Kyle Korver versus Parker, Kirilenko versus Finley, and Matt Harpring versus everybody.

The Spurs concentrated so much on trying to contain screen/rolls (and did achieve a modicum of success here) that their strong-side wings cheated toward the S/R action. Unfortunately for the Spurs, these roving wings were caught out of position with snappy passes and their Utah counterparts wound up with wide-open shots. That, along with some screen/pops, was why the Jazz shot a sizzling 10-18 from beyond the arc.

Also, whenever the Spurs two-timed Boozer, the Jazz moved the ball much quicker than the defense could recover, ergo, even more open shots for Utah.

Utah's constant off-the-ball movement also caught the Spurs unprepared.

The Spurs did a poor job of controlling their defensive boards. The Jazz battled their way to 11 offensive rebounds, which included four put-backs.

Kurt Thomas showed that he's not nearly as effective defending face-up scorers as he is in guarding post-up scorers. Indeed, it looks like he's lost a half-step in his lateral movement.

While Parker was too weak to contain Deron Williams, Bruce Bowen was too slow — especially in navigating his way around screens.

In fact, the only reliable defense offered by any of the Spurs was provided by TD, who single-handedly clogged the middle (3 blocks), and stymied most of Boozer's attempts to score in the shadow of the basket.
So, then, what to make of this game?

Jerry Sloan clearly out-coached Gregg Popovich, which makes any subsequent rematches in the playoffs that much more intriguing.

The Jazz are well-nigh unbeatable at home against any opponents.

The Spurs must make their perimeter shots to open up the middle for Duncan.

The Spurs must control the tempo and trump quick, aggressive defenses with slicker passwork (and better passing angles), better screens (some back-screens would soften ball-denial defenders), more back-cuts, and more efficient rotations when TD is two-timed down low.

Moreover, the defending champs will be also-rans if they can't improve their perimeter defense.

Nor can the Spurs afford to be bullied in the paint.
If the Jazz can play with the same consistent intensity on the road as they generally do at home, they'll have as good a chance as anybody to survive the conference playoffs.

On the other hand, the lop-sided defeat suddenly puts the Spurs in a crisis mode.0 With only eight games left, there may be enough time to make the necessary adjustments and get their game plan back in gear.

Or maybe not.

Mister Sinister
04-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Meh. If I could sage you, I'd do so.

Princess Pimp
04-06-2008, 12:24 AM
shut up fat boy!

Mister Sinister
04-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Mmm...nah.

ChumpDumper
04-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Rosen in 2005:

Tariq Abdul-Wahad is a streaky shooter, a slasher, an aggressive scorer in the low post and a springy rebounder. He's also the best defender on the squad. He needs to play.

lonestr
04-06-2008, 12:51 AM
It must really bug the shit out of you knowing that the Spurs can lose to the likes of Utah , which encourages the hell out of Sun's fans, but when it comes to a Suns/Spurs match up we will kick the crap out of the Suns. It's signs like these that goad you into thinking that the Spurs are washed up. Guess what? YOU WISH!! Utah plays a football style basketball just like the Spurs, but why sacrifice our players for the sake of a regular season game. Pop didn't want the team to get abused especially when Utah really wanted this game. Trouble is, you'd really love to believe the Spurs are "washed up" but you are not convinced.

I tell you that it's O.K. to think that way because that how the Spurs are. Even you know this to be true. It's quite alright to feel hope. You want the Spurs to tank. You want the Spurs to lose in the first round. You are on the other side of the fence and do not see the things we do. So go ahead and say it... "San Antonio fans are the luckiest bastards in the world."

ChumpDumper
04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Really Louis -- is this how you thought your life was going to turn out?

E20
04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7620/attempting1eo6.gif

Guajalote
04-06-2008, 12:58 AM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Guajalote/awgeez.jpg

No one should base the outcome of an entire season and playoffs that have yet to start on a single game.

Princess Pimp
04-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Rosen has valid points I don't know why you people fail to realize that!

DAF86
04-06-2008, 01:05 AM
No, yes.

ChumpDumper
04-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Rosen has valid points I don't know why you people fail to realize that!Yes.

Tariq Abdul-Wahad needs to play.

Princess Pimp
04-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Yes.

Tariq Abdul-Wahad needs to play.

What does he has to do with the Spurs??

Read the article before you post your usual nonsense...

honestfool84
04-06-2008, 01:52 AM
before you post your usual nonsense...

wow.
calling the kettle black?

ChumpDumper
04-06-2008, 02:01 AM

Read the article before you post your usual nonsense...I did read the Rosen article about Tariq Abdul-Wahad from 2005.

Didn't have to read anything he's written since.

crc21209
04-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Princess Pimp get a fucking life you idiot and go cheer for your team who has never won jack shit.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Rosen was WAY off:

Fab missed 3 layups.

T Park
04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
and how does Fab do in the playoffs?

Enough said.

Brutalis
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
The Spurs blowout happened because the Spurs went in there cocky and short, lazy and stupid. It happens after win streaks sometimes. End story.

anakha
04-06-2008, 11:31 AM
What, no alter-egos to throw at us today, Louis?

You're slipping, man. Shape up. :lol

callo1
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes, I'm hitting the panic button as I type this :rolleyes

manufor3
04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm a piece of crap I don't know why I fail to realize that!
fixed

SA Pride
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
That is alot of work you put into for one game...

Budkin
04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Charley Rosen? :lmao

sanman53
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I did not get to watch the game, but it sounds like the Spurs simply had a bad game. Like Pop has said in the past, these men are not robots, they are human and they are going to have bad games. I mean, the West is insane this year. Each series is going to be like a WCF matchup. Sure, the playoffs are going to be tough, but we do have the greatest power forward to ever step on the court, and he hates losing. Go Spurs Go!

Obstructed_View
04-06-2008, 09:57 PM
fixed is gay
fixed

Man of Steel
04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/crazyonsugar/Suns-Suck.jpg

Princess Pimp
04-07-2008, 12:45 AM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/crazyonsugar/Suns-Suck.jpg

:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
04-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Suns lost.

Princess Pimp
04-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Suns lost.

So?

They'll win this coming Wednesday...

Shaq will abuse the tin man

phyzik
04-07-2008, 12:59 AM
So?

Exaclty.....

I can almost imagine that your finally catching on!!

no wait... thats the alchohol talking.

Princess Pimp
04-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Looks like Mr. Rosen is right about the Spurs...

The similarity between the Jazz Game and the Suns game is huge!

Oh, Gee!!
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
congratulations on your regular season victory

703 Spurz
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Read the article before you post your usual nonsense...

Exactly. B/C every single thing you post is always different and never demeaning to the Spurs or us fans.

Twat

TampaDude
04-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Looks like Mr. Rosen is right about the Spurs...

The similarity between the Jazz Game and the Suns game is huge!

Yes...neither one affected the Spurs #2 position in the WC.

See you guys in the playoffs...and this time, please try to keep your players on the bench... :lol

Princess Pimp
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes...neither one affected the Spurs #2 position in the WC.

See you guys in the playoffs...and this time, please keep your players on the bench... :lol

It will, as of tonight the Lakers move to 2nd place, they play the lowly Clippers... :lol

lefty
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Rosen has valid points I don't know why you people fail to realize that!

Rosen has no credibility as a journalist; how can he have valid points?

Nonsense

TampaDude
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
It will, as of tonight the Lakers move to 2nd place, they play the lowly Clippers... :lol

That's not a guaranteed win for the Fakers, ya know. :lol

Princess Pimp
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Rosen has no credibility as a journalist; how can he have valid points?

Nonsense Just because he doesn't kiss spurs ass doesn't mean he doens't have credibility.

All Seeing Eye
04-10-2008, 01:02 PM
See you guys in the playoffs...and this time, please try to keep your players on the bench... :lol

Are you kidding? That's the only way your team can win!

TampaDude
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Are you kidding? That's the only way your team can win!

And yet we beat you in Game 6 without Horry and with the Suns at full strength... :lol

peskypesky
04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Spurs own Suns in the playoffs.