PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Minus MVP, here are award winners

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2008, 08:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040608.NBABeat.en.36cbcea7.html

Minus MVP, here are award winners

My mailboxes, real and cyber, are filling up with campaign literature, none of it from presidential candidates.

That means only one thing: It is time to vote for the NBA's postseason awards.

This will be my 23rd-straight season voting for the awards, and I can't recall a year that presented a more difficult choice for the most prestigious of them, Most Valuable Player. It is a task so daunting I have yet to determine which players will get my votes, one through five. I will disclose next Sunday how I am leaning on that one.

For now, here is my ballot for the other awards:

Coach of the Year: This one is nearly as hard to determine as MVP, with more truly deserving candidates than most seasons. Byron Scott's leadership has helped the Hornets get to the top of the Western Conference standings with 11 days left in the regular season. Rick Adelman's steady hand kept the Rockets from imploding when Yao Ming was lost with a season-ending injury. The 76ers were headed for another trip to the lottery before Mo Cheeks convinced them they were capable of a winning season. Phil Jackson convinced Kobe Bryant to trust his teammates enough to occasionally pass them the ball in crunch time. Doc Rivers meshed two new stars with his remaining players and has his team on the brink of a season of at least 65 victories. There is no wrong choice here. My choice: Scott.

Rookie of the Year: The easiest choice. There are only three candidates: Seattle's Kevin Durant, Houston's Luis Scola and Atlanta's Al Horford. Durant has the numbers. Besides, Scola's a rookie in name only. Durant gets my vote.

Defensive Player of the Year: The Rockets survived Yao's absence by playing lock-down defense, and Shane Battier is their leader. Garnett's commitment to defense rubbed off on his Celtics teammates. Bruce Bowen hasn't lost any of his ability or versatility. Tyson Chandler anchors the Hornets' underrated defense. Marcus Camby again leads the league in blocks and is second in rebounds. Battier is my choice. :bang :bang :bang

Most Improved Player: The league instructs that this award is to go to an up-and-coming player, which seems to eliminate the Magic's Hedo Turkoglu. Too bad. He's still getting my vote.

Sixth Man: It's really sort of silly to think of Manu Ginobili as anything but a starter. Technically, though, he qualifies for this award. Technically, then, he gets my vote.

All-NBA First Team: Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant at guards; Tim Duncan and LeBron James at forwards; Dwight Howard at center.

xtremesteven33
04-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Rookie of the Year: Kevin Durant
6TH Man of the Year: Manu Ginobili
Defensive Player of the Year: Marcus Camby
Most Improved Player: Hedo Turkoglu
Coach of the Year: Byron Scott
MVP: Chris Paul

makedamnsure
04-06-2008, 10:39 AM
That sounds about right.

ploto
04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Byron will win Coach of the Year but I give more credit to Mo Cheeks for what he has done.

I hate to say it but I could see a chance that Tim does not make the first team and KG gets in ahead of him. The Celtics should get something for their season.

Brutalis
04-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Battier? :lol

BruceBowenFan
04-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Battier? :lol
my ass he wins it

Scumbag
04-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Tim Duncan and LeBron James at forwards;

Are you kidding me? Amare's numbers eat Timmy alive.

Allanon
04-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Timmy's a great defender, rebounder and scorer.

Amare still needs to learn how to play defense without fouling and he has to work on the other aspects of his game like rebounding.

LeBron is not a great defender either but he stuffs the stat sheets in all categories.

Scumbag
04-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Amare still needs to learn how to play defense without fouling and he has to work on the other aspects of his game like rebounding.

Amare is averaging 9.3 rebounds per game.
Duncan is averaging 11.5 rebounds per game.

Amare beats him on PPG, BPG, and is shooting almost 10% from the field better than him all while playing less minutes.

Tell me again why he beats him? Defense? There is an award for that. Its called Defensive Player of the Year.

DAF86
04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
And you laughed at me when i said that Scott will win COY and Battier DPOY.

manufor3
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
ya NUMBERS

Scumbag
04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
ya NUMBERS

Not sure what YOU MEANT HERE.

timvp
04-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Battier :pctoss

He might be the most overrated player in the league this season. He's a good defender but I wouldn't label him as a great defender. Top scorers routinely light his azz up. He had that one fluke game against Kobe and somehow that has propelled him into the spotlight. The Rockets give up less points per 48 minutes when Battier is off the court compared to when he's on the court.

I'm find with Garnett winning it but Battier winning it is a joke.

ClingingMars
04-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Tell me again why he beats him? Defense? There is an award for that. Its called Defensive Player of the Year.

There's more to a good basketball player than offensive numbers. See 4 NBA Championships by the Spurs.

- Mars

Agloco
04-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Timmy minus Parker = Timmy

Amare minus Nash = Dogshit

How's dem numbers?

Drachen
04-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Amare beats him on PPG, BPG, and is shooting almost 10% from the field better than him all while playing less minutes.

Look I am not going to get into a TD >>>>>>>> Amare, its just not worth it, you wont bow to us and we wont bow to you. Now that all being said, the voters for all-NBA team are instructed to vote for player at the position he most normally plays, and Amare played center until Shaq came in, in other words most of the season, or if you would like "most normally." Meaning you should be arguing that he should be in the center position, which would take you to another team's board.

manufor3
04-06-2008, 04:09 PM

now i know why your user name is scumbag