PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Sports Celebrity of All-time

jaffies
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
This is not a vote of the best athlete of all-time, but the biggest celebrity.
Popularity, influence, accomplishments etc. should be weighed together.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
From your criteria, Ali, hands down.

Pele should be in the list.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
What about Maradona?

dallaskd
04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
David Beckham

manufor3
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
mj

NASpurs
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Is this worldwide or just in the US because this poll is very biased towards American sports celebrities.

jaffies
04-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Is this worldwide or just in the US because this poll is very biased towards American sports celebrities.
there are countries outside of the US?

mrsmaalox
04-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I voted "other", because I think OJ Simpleton, is the most infamous celebrity athlete.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
ROFL at anybody who thinks MJ was more popular or influential than Ali. The only thing Jordan did was sell more shoes.

marini martini
04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I voted "other", because I think OJ Simpleton, is the most infamous celebrity athlete.I don't think he = popularity, influence and accomplishments :lol

I'd go with Ali

Mia Hamm, not listed??

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Kaka, Ronaldinho, Federer, TW and Beckham are probably the world's most well known athletes right now.

Ali and Pele have no equals all-time.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 06:32 PM
What about Maradona?I don't know about other countries, but in the US, Pele >>>>> Maradona.

mrsmaalox
04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't think he = popularity, influence and accomplishments :lol

I'd go with Ali

Mia Hamm, not listed??

Hey...no where in the criteria did it say positive!!!!! I stick with OJ :lol

04-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Michael Schumacher was/is pretty well-known as well.

Evan
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Pele by far...

Pistons < Spurs
04-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I suspect peoples answers are going to coincide w/ their age/generation.

For people 35 and younger, it'll probably be MJ.

For those w/ more years under their belt, it will likely be Ali.

Evan
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
pele?

but he didn't make soccer popular in the us

Impossible task at the time.

David won't do it either...

but it will happen one day. Not a top 3 sport but it can happen.

Once a few Americans become high paid stars in the EPL it will spark a few things.

Pistons < Spurs
04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Impossible task at the time.

David won't do it either...

but it will happen one day. Not a top 3 sport but it can happen.

No way....

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't think soccer will ever be a top 5 sport in the US.

But Pele is primarily responsible for the explosion of youth leagues in the US.

Evan
04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
No way....

No way what?

No what it can become popular?

I am not saying it is going to surpass NFL..just that it can be something in this country.

soccer fields are growing like soccer moms and while the MLS is sh-t right now its growing. If NASCAR and the NHL can grow here why not soccer?

smeagol
04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Soccer = most popular sport in the world.

Therefore, a soccer player should be the biggets sport celebrity of all time.

I'd go with Pele or Maradona . . . until a new soccer sensation appears.

Evan
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM

I'd go with Pele or Maradona . . . until a new soccer sensation appears.

Its possible that could be Cristiano Ronaldo. He's only 23 so it can happen.

marini martini
04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Its possible that could be Cristiano Ronaldo. He's only 23 so it can happen.

I love Cristiano Ronaldo. It was so fun watching him play the world cup last year for England, and he made fun of his team mate. :lol :lol :lol

Pistons < Spurs
04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
No way what?

No what it can become popular?

I am not saying it is going to surpass NFL..just that it can be something in this country.

soccer fields are growing like soccer moms and while the MLS is sh-t right now its growing. If NASCAR and the NHL can grow here why not soccer?
It won't be in our lifetime. Americans are simply not into Soccer. Never have been, never will be. We've been exposed to it, and it never sticks. Every couple of years, there's some event or star player that people say will make Soccer blow up in America ... yet it never does.

Evan
04-06-2008, 08:18 PM
It won't be in our lifetime. Americans are simply not into Soccer. Never have been, never will be. We've been exposed to it, and it never sticks. Every couple of years, there's some event or star player that people say will make Soccer blow up in America ... yet it never does.

To be fair

Americans have only recently been exposed to true international soccer with SETANTA and Fox Soccer Chanel. It wasn't long ago you could never see a live English Premier League, Italian League, Spanish league...etc match.

You make it sound like its been on American TV since the 50's.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 08:40 PM

I'd go with Pele or Maradona . . . until a new soccer sensation appears.Faulty logic. Were you even alive when Ali was at his peak?

tp2021
04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
if influence is on the criteria, what about dikembe mutombo?

Evan
04-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Faulty logic. Were you even alive when Ali was at his peak?

Look...we need to be sure what we're talking about here...

Americans or the world.

Americans, Ali...sure

World...no.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Look...we need to be sure what we're talking about here...

Americans or the world.

Americans, Ali...sure

World...no.:lmao

Ali was bigger outside of the US than inside.

Evan
04-06-2008, 09:03 PM
:lmao

Ali was bigger outside of the US than inside.

Ok...

have a few more drinks.

04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
There was a point in time where Ali was the most famous person on the planet, let alone sports celebrity.

Read a book.

Evan
04-06-2008, 09:12 PM
There was a point in time where Ali was the most famous person on the planet, let alone sports celebrity.

Read a book.

Not compared to Pele

04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Not compared to Pele

Yes, even compared to Pele.

You can make a case for either, though.

Evan
04-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes, even compared to Pele.

You can make a case for either, though.

I think if someone were to poll the world the vast majority would recognize Pele over Ali, Jordan, Beckham..etc...

I honestly think most Americans haven't an idea what soccer is to the world even though they know how much more popular it is globally.

I have only recently realized this in the past few years once I really go into the EPL.

And as for Tiger, once you leave America, UK and UAE his name drops off fast.

04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/millennium/jul/winner.stm

ChuckD
04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Ruth. He was a MEGA celebrity in an age where there was only radio and newspapers. Almost no one ever saw a baseball game. There was no TV, so if you didn't actually go to the stadium, you didn't see a game. He was still mobbed everywhere he went.

He also set the table for all that came after, being the first real sports mega-celebrity.

Hank the Tank
04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
i know im gonna piss a lot of people off but i dont even know who pele is. :lol

and i'd watch golf before some damn soccer game...hell give me tennis before soccer.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2008, 09:38 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/millennium/jul/winner.stmQ.E.D.

Evan
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM

You can also find some on that very site, skynews, TSN , and 606 radio that say Pele.

check out "have your say" on BBC.com

look...there will never be a clear defined answer to this.

Evan
04-06-2008, 09:40 PM
i know im gonna piss a lot of people off but i dont even know who pele is. :lol

and i'd watch golf before some damn soccer game...hell give me tennis before soccer.

Naw no big deal. Soccer barely has roots here yet.

Evan
04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
cricket's a popular sport in other countries

it will soon surpass baseball in america

crofl

Cricket is a niche sport "football alternative"

marini martini
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Most in America, say they would rather "Watch paint dry". I think because it is a low scoring game. Take away off sides, and add 3 points to 1, it might make it interesting game for the new world :toast

lefty
04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Beno Udrih

PM5K
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I can't see it being one of the guys from so far back that they didn't get the media exposure guys like Jordan and Woods get now.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
That link also has Sunil Gavaskar above Michael Jordan... Still, I don't have a problem believing that Ali was the biggest sports celebrity all time. He's certainly the greatest sportsman I ever saw.

timvp
04-07-2008, 05:34 AM
It's gotta be close between Ali and Pele. I'd say Ali because he was a more polarizing figure, plus he made trips to China and India in his prime so everyone was pretty much aware of his existence on all reaches of the globe. Africa, Asia, Europe ... yeah, Ali pretty much had it all covered.

Although at Pele's height, he might have been more popular in sheer number of people who heard of him. Soccer is bigger than boxing and if you knew soccer, you knew Pele.

Maradona, even though he probably was close to Pele's equal, for some reason has never been close to as popular as Pele. In the US, a good percentage of people have heard of Pele. I'd say less than .0001% of people have heard of Maradona. The CoM didn't do its job, apparently . . .

With the way the NBA is globalizing, I wouldn't be surprised if the most popular athlete becomes a basketball player at some point in the next 50 years.

timvp
04-07-2008, 05:39 AM
The CoM didn't do its job, apparently . . .ROFL. I stand corrected. (http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=1152&sec=41&cont=8)

Thunder Dan
04-07-2008, 08:44 AM
In my lifetime, and in the United States it's Jordan hands down. Outside of the US I have no idea

samikeyp
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Ali.

dawn
04-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Athlete wise I would go with Jordan or Tiger. But Popularity or Merchandise or BRANDING I would have to throw Dale Earnhardt Jr in there. You dont have to watch racing to know who he is and sales why he has surpassed Michael Jordan.

You are really gonna laugh on this one but there was a time in the mid 90's that the biggest profiting Athlete from Merchandise sales was...STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN. He too brought in more cash in sales than Jordan.

You know us rednecks, we are crazy!!!

MaNuMaNiAc
04-07-2008, 10:01 AM
It's gotta be close between Ali and Pele. I'd say Ali because he was a more polarizing figure, plus he made trips to China and India in his prime so everyone was pretty much aware of his existence on all reaches of the globe. Africa, Asia, Europe ... yeah, Ali pretty much had it all covered.

Although at Pele's height, he might have been more popular in sheer number of people who heard of him. Soccer is bigger than boxing and if you knew soccer, you knew Pele.

Maradona, even though he probably was close to Pele's equal, for some reason has never been close to as popular as Pele. In the US, a good percentage of people have heard of Pele. I'd say less than .0001% of people have heard of Maradona. The CoM didn't do its job, apparently . . .

With the way the NBA is globalizing, I wouldn't be surprised if the most popular athlete becomes a basketball player at some point in the next 50 years.Probably? close?? That's it! its settled, you don't have a drop of Argentinian blood in you! :lol

Seriously though, Maradona was more than just close to Pele's equal. Debates about which one was the greatest still go on. I have to say, I've seen plenty of evidence for both cases, 'course I think everybody knows which one I think is better :devil, but I'm biased that way...

In terms of popularity, I'm not surprised more people in the US know Pele than they do Maradona. In my experience, when Americans think South America, they think Brasil first. Still, let me tell you, during the 80's and early 90's if you knew football, you knew Maradona, plain and simple. Even now, every football fan knows who Maradona is. That 86 Argie team was the closest to a one-man team there has ever been. All due respect to Pele, but I don't think even he had a World Cup like Maradona had in 86, granted, this can be arguable.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Athlete wise I would go with Jordan or Tiger. But Popularity or Merchandise or BRANDING I would have to throw Dale Earnhardt Jr in there. You dont have to watch racing to know who he is and sales why he has surpassed Michael Jordan.

You are really gonna laugh on this one but there was a time in the mid 90's that the biggest profiting Athlete from Merchandise sales was...STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN. He too brought in more cash in sales than Jordan.

You know us rednecks, we are crazy!!!You may be able to argue in terms of merchandise, but in terms of popularity worldwide... NASCAR doesn't even scratch the top 10. In fact, I'm fairly certain %90 of the rest of the world doesn't have a clue who Dale Earnhardt Jr is. When it comes to racing, the rest of the world focuses a lot more on F1 and to a lesser extent Rally.

E20
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I've got a golden ticket!
They were showing that movie all day yesterday, old and new version.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
It really is amazing how the US has managed to isolate themselves when it comes to watching Sports. It is quite a phenomenon. Nothing wrong with it, but it is quite interesting how the US has managed to blend aspects of hundreds of different cultures, quite succesfully I might add, and yet when it comes to sports, there is an almost stuborn lack of interest in international sports.

ManuLoco
04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Pele's more popular than Maradona in the US because Maradona never played in the US league, he always played in highly competitive leagues. I bet Beckembauer is also more popular than Maradona in the US, guess why! simply because he played over there. Worldwide, imo Maradona is more popular than Pele, probably because theres more people that have seen him play.
No to ofend anyone, but in that list I would definitely take Babe Ruth out. I only know there's a baseball player called like that because he has been named in some US movies, otherwise I would've never heard his name... hell, i dont even know how the guy looks or whether he's still alive! And I think there are tons of people outside the US that are in my same situation.

Thunder Dan
04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Probably? close?? That's it! its settled, you don't have a drop of Argentinian blood in you! :lol

Seriously though, Maradona was more than just close to Pele's equal. Debates about which one was the greatest still go on. I have to say, I've seen plenty of evidence for both cases, 'course I think everybody knows which one I think is better :devil, but I'm biased that way...

In terms of popularity, I'm not surprised more people in the US know Pele than they do Maradona. In my experience, when Americans think South America, they think Brasil first. Still, let me tell you, during the 80's and early 90's if you knew football, you knew Maradona, plain and simple. Even now, every football fan knows who Maradona is. That 86 Argie team was the closest to a one-man team there has ever been. All due respect to Pele, but I don't think even he had a World Cup like Maradona had in 86, granted, this can be arguable.

The original question is biggest 'Sports' star. Soccer isn't a sport so you can't vote for a soccer player

Evan
04-07-2008, 10:36 AM
you play soccer don't you?

and you don't understand why americans don't like it?

it makes you angry. scared. and confused.

is this what this is about?

No I don't play.

It's gotta be close between Ali and Pele.

Yeah that’s probably where its at. Maybe a coin toss.

Thunder Dan
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
No I don't play.

good for you. Soccer is a cult sport for people looking to be bored as hell for 90 minutes at a time

Evan
04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
It really is amazing how the US has managed to isolate themselves when it comes to watching Sports. It is quite a phenomenon. Nothing wrong with it, but it is quite interesting how the US has managed to blend aspects of hundreds of different cultures, quite succesfully I might add, and yet when it comes to sports, there is an almost stuborn lack of interest in international sports.

I think thats changing really.

You can also blame some of the various leagues for forcing games on PPV and making it difficult to view things like SETANTA. Why would an American pay $20 for a game just to see if they may like it?

As an EPL fan it is an incredible struggle for me to find games to watch.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
The US has heard of Mardona. He's that cheating druggie, right? :p:

tlongII
04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
It is Tiger. Easily. Sorry Shoog, but Ali isn't close to either MJ or Tiger.

Melmart1
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
It is Tiger. Easily. Sorry Shoog, but Ali isn't close to either MJ or Tiger.
If Ali had a shoe contract with Nike like Tiger and MJ, would you feel the same way?

G-Nob
04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Ali is known on EVERY continent

tlongII
04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Ali is known on EVERY continent

So is Tiger and MJ.

tlongII
04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
If Ali had a shoe contract with Nike like Tiger and MJ, would you feel the same way?

Yes. Mainly because of the evolution/advancement of global communication.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
The US has heard of Mardona. He's that cheating druggie, right? :p:
That's Mr. Cheating Druggie to you Shoog! You're not even worthy of sniffing his leftovers!

:lol

peewee's lovechild
04-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Maradona was juiced up on cocaine most of the time and boxing results can be questionable.

So, the winner is Michael Jordan.

Evan
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
when its all said and done, it could end up being this guy. I would say chances are no but it could be him.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/the_limey/04/04/manu.relegation/p1_ronaldo_0404.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
whatever this guy's name is
http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/Japan/03/singer/koni2.jpg

tlongII
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
whatever this guy's name is
http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/Japan/03/singer/koni2.jpg

Doesn't he reside in San Antonio?

Evan
04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Doesn't he reside in San Antonio?

You're thinking of his big brother.

mrsmaalox
04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh yea. That guy wins.

Oh, Gee!!
04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Manu!!!!!!!!!

ShoogarBear
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
It is Tiger. Easily. Sorry Shoog, but Ali isn't close to either MJ or Tiger.What influence does Tiger or MJ have? When have Tiger or MJ done anything except back away from taking a stance at every possible opportunity? If Nike told them to pick their butts, they'd be known for having smelly fingers.

mookie2001
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
nobody mentioned roberto clemente or jackie robinson?

thats a vulgar display of influence

anyone who says tiger woods is probably a neocon

Tike Mailer
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Mark Cuban, holmes.

tlongII
04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
What influence does Tiger or MJ have? When have Tiger or MJ done anything except back away from taking a stance at every possible opportunity? If Nike told them to pick their butts, they'd be known for having smelly fingers.

What influence does Ali have? I guess he might prevent people from taking up boxing so they avoid Parkinson's Syndrome? Tiger and MJ influence purchasing decisions far more than Ali.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Um, all of you are wrong.

James White!

smeagol
04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
nobody mentioned roberto clemente or jackie robinson?

I doubt people outside the US know who they are.

Same with Babe Ruth.

You might find this strange, but the world does not revolve around the US.

midgetonadonkey
04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Gheorghe Muresan

remingtonbo2001
04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
You might find this strange, but the world does not revolve around the US.

It did at one time. :depressed

mookie2001
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
you doubt people outside the US know who roberto clemente is?

smeagol
04-11-2008, 09:31 PM
you doubt people outside the US know who roberto clemente is?

Nah . . . he's known all around the globe. He's probably is the biggest sports celebrity of all time . . . :rolleyes

Why don't you through some other baseball players in the mix while you are it . . . ? :lol

dallaskd
04-11-2008, 09:40 PM
its still beckham

smeagol
04-11-2008, 09:57 PM
its still beckham
It is obvious it is a soccer player.

Unfotunately, mookie, in all his idiocy, comes up with baseball players as options :lol

dallaskd
04-11-2008, 10:07 PM
It is obvious it is a soccer player.

Unfotunately, mookie, in all his idiocy, comes up with baseball players as options :lol

MJ and Tiger dont dominate global media. Pick your soccer player. They are the most famous of athletes world wide and Beckham dominates all in the media. Baseball and any other sports cant come close.

marini martini
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
My vote, Beckham.

Only because he's married to Posh :toast

ploto
04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Ali

marini martini
04-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Rhinaldo, in the future!

NZHayden
04-12-2008, 04:02 AM
in my life time im a go with tiger, with dbecks 2nd and i'm from a non soccer playing country

tlongII
04-12-2008, 06:41 PM
MJ and Tiger dont dominate global media. Pick your soccer player. They are the most famous of athletes world wide and Beckham dominates all in the media. Baseball and any other sports cant come close.

Actually they do dominate global media.

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
this is the thread where esmegmol said people outside the US dont know who roberto clemente is

classic

pkbpkb81
10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Babe Ruth