PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Mavs 1st round series

41times
04-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Well it is looking like the Mavs will be in the 7th spot with 5 games to go. Do the Spurs try to avoid the 2 spot and let the Lakers have it? I don't think the Spurs can get the 1 spot.

The Spurs would kill the Rox in the first round from the 3 spot. So what is the fandom's feelings on this move?

Amarelooms
04-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Well it is looking like the Mavs will be in the 7th spot with 5 games to go. Do the Spurs try to avoid the 2 spot and let the Lakers have it? I don't think the Spurs can get the 1 spot.

The Spurs would kill the Rox in the first round from the 3 spot. So what is the fandom's feelings on this move?

Spurs will tank to avoid the Mavs...have no doubt Pop, Duncan, Parker and Flopnobli want no part of the Mavs...even if they suck this year :elephant

ChumpDumper
04-06-2008, 08:49 PM
The Spurs should try to win all their games. Leave the micromanaging of playoff position to the pussy teams.

Budkin
04-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Bring it on... this is the matchup of choice for the Spurs now that the Mavs have no Harris or Diop.

Amarelooms
04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Bring it on... this is the matchup of choice for the Spurs now that the Mavs have no Harris or Diop.

LOL Harris and Diop....you mean an over-rate often injured PG and the worst offensive player in the league who grabs like 5 boards and has 1 block a game?

Another ignorant Spurs homer...I have no doubt the actual Spurs players and organization will avoid playing the Mavs like the plague :elephant

jag
04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Mav fan should know a thing or two about trying to control playoff positioning of yours or other teams...

ChumpDumper
LOL Harris and Diop....you mean an over-rate often injured PG and the worst offensive player in the league who grabs like 5 boards and has 1 block a game? :elephantYep, that's why you suck now.

It didn't take much, but it doesn't matter -- Mavs always choke in the playoffs. :elephant

honestfool84
LOL Harris and Diop....you mean an over-rate often injured PG and the worst offensive player in the league who grabs like 5 boards and has 1 block a game?

Another ignorant Spurs homers...I have no doubt the actualy Spurs players and organization will avoid playing the Mavs like the plague :elephant

no, he means two stated thorns in the spurs' sides.

Amarelooms
04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
no, he means two stated thorns in the spurs' sides.

Good then the Spurs should sweep the Mavs...look forward to watching the Spurs dominance :elephant

timaios
04-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Hum... no !!!
We want HCA against the Lakers ! You know, in round 2.
:ihit

tp2021
04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
i wish the spurs could play both the mavs and the rox in round 1, and eliminate them both in one fell sweep.

timaios
Good then the Spurs should sweep the Mavs...look forward to watching the Spurs dominance :elephant

Ok. They'll do that.

DAF86
what if we do that and then we have to play game seven of the WCF in L.A?
The spurs should win every game they can.

tp2021
04-06-2008, 09:00 PM
the hornets look to stay at the #1 spot. if thats the case, and the lakers and spurs stay the 2nd and 3rd seeds (doesnt matter who has which), they will meet in the conference semis, not the WCF.

DAF86

Another ignorant Spurs homer...I have no doubt the actual Spurs players and organization will avoid playing the Mavs like the plague :elephant

I don't know if Harris is overated or if Diop is the worst offensive player in the league. What i do know is that they were a pain in the ass for the spurs.

SAtown
Dallas won't get out of the first round this year again, regardless of what top 4 team they play in the West.

DAF86
04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
the hornets look to stay at the #1 spot. if thats the case, and the lakers and spurs stay the 2nd and 3rd seeds (doesnt matter who has which), they will meet in the conference semis, not the WCF.

What if we do that and then we have to play game 7 of the WCSF in L.A?

Fixed

DAF86
04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Dallas won't get out of the first round this year again, regardless of what top 4 team they play in the West.

I think they have a chance against Utah and New Orleans

timvp
04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't like the idea of playing the Mavs in the first round. However, if the alternative is playing the Suns in the first round and then not having HCA against the Lakers in the second round, I'll go with option A.

jag
04-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't like the idea of playing the Mavs in the first round. However, if the alternative is playing the Suns in the first round and then not having HCA against the Lakers in the second round, I'll go with option A.

I dont think at this point it matters who you play in the first round. The team in the 8th spot could easily be in the 1 spot. You just play with the hand your dealt. They just need to worry about HCA.

td4mvp21

Also, if the Spurs can't beat a Mavs team that they are better than without homecourt advantage, do they really even deserve to win the championship?

T Park
agreed.

Im just hoping the rockets lose out and the mavericks win out.

romsho
04-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Spurs will tank to avoid the Mavs...have no doubt Pop, Duncan, Parker and Flopnobli want no part of the Mavs...even if they suck this year :elephant

Every year douchebags like yourself come in here, talk a bunch of shit about what is going to happen, only to end up not just being wrong-but usually flaming out in spectacular fashion (i.e Golden State in the first round). Really, stay out of the prediction business...you aren't good at it.

Sense
04-06-2008, 09:11 PM

Same here.. and I think the key to the Mavs-Spurs series will be the homecourt..

I have no doubt in my mind the Spurs would win this series... This matchup would be the best possible case scenerio at this point.

T Park
04-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Same here.. and I think the key to the Mavs-Spurs series will be the homecourt..

I have no doubt in my mind the Spurs would win this series... This matchup would be the best possible case scenerio at this point.

I disagree.

Spurs Rockets would be the best.

The Spurs would win that series in 5 easily.

Then a second round matchup with the Mavericks or Lakers would be afoot.

more than likely Lakers.

timvp
04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
My power ranking for WC teams I want the Spurs to avoid currently is:

1) Hornets
2) Suns and Mavs tied
4) Lakers
5) Jazz
6) Nuggets
7) Rockets and Warriors tied

freemeat
04-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I would absolutely LOVE to see the Spurs take on the Mavs in the first round!

Although the Spurs won the series 3-1, if you combine the point totals for both teams, it comes out to:

Mavs: 375
Spurs: 374

That just sounds like an incredible 7-game series to me.

Nov. 15: at Mavericks 105, Spurs 92
Dec. 5: at Spurs 97, Mavericks 95
Feb. 28: at Spurs 97, Mavericks 94
Mar. 23: Spurs 88 at Mavericks 81

ThomasGranger
04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
But this Mavs team is not the same Mavs team the Spurs saw earlier this year.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Try to win every game. Enter the playoffs playing good basketball. Play the toughest road to the title. Win it all.

ponky
04-06-2008, 10:04 PM
right now, after all the crap that's gone down with the mavs, i'm just happy they look like they will be making the playoffs...tonight's game made me mildly excited in the fourth quarter but i don't expect them to go far this year in the playoffs, even if dirk happens to be 100% by playoff time

DAF86
04-06-2008, 10:11 PM

1) Hornets
2) Suns and Mavs tied
4) Lakers
5) Jazz
6) Nuggets

1) Lakers
2) Suns
3) Mavs
4) Jazz
5) Hornets
6) Rockets
7) Warriors
8) Nuggetts

crc21209
04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
At this point, if the Spurs stay #2 they will take on most likely the Mavs if they hold that 7 spot, however, no road will be easy this year. Let's say the Spurs drop to #3, we'd either take on the Rockets or the Suns.

ducks
04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
hornets 5?

Ronaldo McDonald
04-06-2008, 11:25 PM
right now, after all the crap that's gone down with the mavs, i'm just happy they look like they will be making the playoffs...tonight's game made me mildly excited in the fourth quarter but i don't expect them to go far this year in the playoffs, even if dirk happens to be 100% by playoff time

Same here.

The good news is you've got an owner that'll pay a lot for that one peice that you guys need in order to win it all.

TampaDude
04-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Spurs vs. Mavs = Spurs in 5

spursfan09
04-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Why would the spurs avoid the Mavs? It's a 2nd seed vs a 7th seed. I like the Spurs chances

DAF86
04-07-2008, 12:47 AM
hornets 5?

Yes, they have no playoff experience and Manu said that N.O might be the best matchup for the spurs. what makes me bealive that a lot of spurs players feel confident 'bout playing the Hornets.

Argiebabe
04-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Why would the spurs avoid the Mavs? It's a 2nd seed vs a 7th seed. I like the Spurs chances

Agreed.

SpursRunHouse
04-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Go Spurs Go!

Bruno
04-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Seeding can still change but Spurs have a good chance to end up with a really hard first round against Mavs or Suns.
Best case would be Spurs facing Rockets. It could still happened if Spurs get third seed and Rockets slip to the 6th seed.

hsxvvd
04-07-2008, 05:21 AM
i wish the spurs could play both the mavs and the rox in round 1, and eliminate them both in one fell sweep.

Hypothetically, they merge teams...

Kidd, McGrady, Howard, Noheartski & Ming (The Chinese Herbs did the trick)

I'd say we still win 4-2.

Amarelooms
04-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Hypothetically, they merge teams...

Kidd, McGrady, Howard, Noheartski & Ming (The Chinese Herbs did the trick)

I'd say we still win 4-2.

LOL...are you a retard? IF you combine the Mavs and Rockets the Spurs will be swept and lose ever game by 20+...what a stupid Spurs homer you are :elephant

Doctor J
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
I never understand why the fans of a team that hasn't won anything so cocky about their team.

I never thought the Mavs ever had an advantage over the Spurs. They were lucky to take the game 7 in 2006. You guys should give thanks to Manu for that.

BRING IT ON!!! We will destroy you.

Ginofan
04-07-2008, 08:03 AM

I don't think the Mavs being a 7th seed is anything to scoff at. The WC is a tight race between all of the teams. We are so equally matched, the best 7 teams in the west beat out all but 3 teams in the EC in winning percentage.

It's crazy how competitive the WC is this year and I think any first round matchup the Spurs draw will be a tough and grueling series.

ManuTastic
04-07-2008, 08:28 AM

1) Hornets
2) Suns and Mavs tied
4) Lakers
5) Jazz
6) Nuggets

Hey Timvp, why do you put Mavs so high up this list? Conventional wisdom (and, ok, my humble opinion too) is they got worse talent-wise with the Kidd trade. Plus they seem to be in a funk over there, are near to a coaching controversy, got pwned by GS last year and are still feeling spooked, etc.

urunobili
04-07-2008, 09:02 AM
if we face the Mavs in the first round.. it'll take 5 games and AJ's job...

hater
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
stop the drama.

Spurs would kill the mavs. They have a hole in the middle as big as Britney's vagina. Tim Duncan would rape them for a whole series.

I want the Mavs in the 1st round!

Agloco
04-07-2008, 10:29 AM

At least you got part of the picture correct......

703 Spurz
04-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Funny. Did you say these things when they were Mavs and "you" guys were winning?

Findog
04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd rather face the Spurs than the Lakers. As far as Kobe is concerned, the Mavs are 18-year-old white girls named Katie from Aspen, Colorado.

The Spurs would be favored and rightly so, but the Mavs are more than capable of beating them.

Jack Sommersset
04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
stop the drama.

Spurs would kill the Mavs. They have a hole in the middle as big as Britney's vagina. Tim Duncan would rape them for a whole series.

I want the Mavs in the 1st round!

HAHAHAHA. Mavericks would win in 6. Of course if a injury occurs to the Mavericks will throw that out the window. I'm telling you Spurs fans, watch the injury reports. A great sign for another championship would getting the Rockets in 1st round. Yao is already out. Again its not the Spurs fault they won championships this way.

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!

clambake
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
i think the mavs best chance of getting to 2nd round is to play the spurs in 1st round. if the mavs get LA, that will be hard to watch.

Jack Sommersset
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
i think the mavs best chance of getting to 2nd round is to play the spurs in 1st round. if the mavs get LA, that will be hard to watch.

Lakers would be a tough match for the Mavericks. As of right now Lakers would kill them. Its just strange watching the Mavericks with Kidd lose to teams they beat with Harris. I don't get that. I am thinking lakers and Suns in West finals if the bracket falls the way for that to work.

bobbyjoe
04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Phoenix should be the matchup the Spurs are wanting to avoid, not Dallas.

The Spurs best chance at avoiding Phoenix is to sew up that #2 spot. Phoenix is not dropping to 7 but could easily be there as a #6 seed if SA slips to #3.

I also dont think Popovich is so scared of any first round matchup that he's willing to trade away HCA in round 2 vs. the Lakers. That'd be pretty stupid for a team that's won 4 titles to position itself for the best first round matchup at the expense of HCA in a round the team is more likely to actually get beat.

The only possible series upset of the Spurs in round 1 IMO is Phoenix.

mavsfan1000
04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Though the spurs won't be easy, I think we have a much better chance against them than the Lakers. Avery is so stupid when it comes to having to double team a player.

jman3000
04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm all for playing the best... but shit I'd rather be on the other side of the bracket.

I believe it's NO-GS and Utah-Houston on one side and Lakers- Suns, Spurs- Mavericks on the other.

going through GS and either Utah houston would be a hell of a lot easier than going through dallas, phx, No... although i'd love to see the lakers-suns matchup hold up. at least 1 elite team is going home in the first round and it's going to be interesting to see how it shakes up.

41times
04-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Though the spurs won't be easy, I think we have a much better chance against them than the Lakers. Avery is so stupid when it comes to having to double team a player.

who ever called for Eric Dampier to go 25 feet from the basket and doulbe team the PG with the ball is a freaking idiot. That play x 2 resulted in 2 easy layups for the Lakers in the last 2 minutes. Other than Josh Howard throwing of the head band that was the "stupidest" play(s) ever.

oh, the spurs woudl beat the Suns in 6 but the Mavs........could be another 7 game classic

roycrikside
04-08-2008, 01:40 PM

1) Hornets
2) Suns and Mavs tied
4) Lakers
5) Jazz
6) Nuggets

It should be Lakers 1, 2, and 3. They're the team I fear the refs would really dick us with the calls. Maybe the Suns a little too. The rest of the teams aren't media darlings at all and Stern wouldn't care who won.

As for pure basketball strategy, I have no idea why you fear Dallas at all. They can't guard us. They traded away their two best defensive players and Kidd can't shoot. All we have to worry about with them is defensive rebounding and getting back in transition.

Phoenix is a little more complicated match-up, but again they really can't guard any of our big three either and unless the calls are comically one-sided, I think we'd get the better of it, especially with home court. Let's see how Wednesday plays out.

lonestr
04-08-2008, 06:51 PM
All you non-Spurs fans are in here talking up some stupid shit about Dallas, Phoenix, and Laker's being more than capable of beating San Antonio. Truth is, you sorry dip-weeds are using the regular season as a gauge to size up your pathetic teams against the Spurs when every Spurs fan knows that they are a different team in the P.O. We have absolutely nothing to prove. We've been tested and proven.

Phoenix: You'll get much of the same as last year only with the great tired old Mumbler on your roster.

Dallas: You couldn't punch your way out of a wet paper bag if your precious Mark Cuban offered a 100 million incentive to nut-up and actually throw a punch just so everyone wouldn't think you're a bunch of choke jobbers(this year).

Los Angeles: Kobe is not the consumate team player that he wants everyone to think. When the tough gets going, watch this dude to go back to his selfish play. Still not a Championship caliber team.

New Orleans: Byron Scott is the head coach. Pop pulled his chones down and bare hand spanked this punk on national t.v. in the 2003 Finals.

mavsfan1000
04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
All you non-Spurs fans are in here talking up some stupid shit about Dallas, Phoenix, and Laker's being more than capable of beating San Antonio. Truth is, you sorry dip-weeds are using the regular season as a gauge to size up your pathetic teams against the Spurs when every Spurs fan knows that they are a different team in the P.O. We have absolutely nothing to prove. We've been tested and proven.

Phoenix: You'll get much of the same as last year only with the great tired old Mumbler on your roster.

Dallas: You couldn't punch your way out of a wet paper bag if your precious Mark Cuban offered a 100 million incentive to nut-up and actually throw a punch just so everyone wouldn't think you're a bunch of choke jobbers(this year).

Los Angeles: Kobe is not the consumate team player that he wants everyone to think. When the tough gets going, watch this dude to go back to his selfish play. Still not a Championship caliber team.

New Orleans: Byron Scott is the head coach. Pop pulled his chones down and bare hand spanked this punk on national t.v. in the 2003 Finals.
Homer alert. lol

lonestr
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Homer alert. lol

Yo Mavs fan, the stench of the 2006 Finals is still in the air. You guys can't seem to stay under a rock long enough to let the air clear. Then you go on to crap that embarrassing loss to the Warriors.

You have a lot of nerve to call me a "Homer".

PSSST, we have a trophy case at the AT&T center with four O"Briens. Yeah, I'm a homer alright.

mavsfan1000
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Yo Mavs fan, the stench of the 2006 Finals is still in the air. You guys can't seem to stay under a rock long enough to let the air clear. Then you go on to crap that embarrassing loss to the Warriors.

You have a lot of nerve to call me a "Homer".

PSSST, we have a trophy case at the AT&T center with four O"Briens. Yeah, I'm a homer alright.
The Spurs aren't as dominate this year. They don't stand out over any of the other teams (Hornets, Mavs, Suns, and Lakers) Continue to live in the past though. :blah

Sense
04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I disagree.

Spurs Rockets would be the best.

The Spurs would win that series in 5 easily.

Then a second round matchup with the Mavericks or Lakers would be afoot.

more than likely Lakers.

Well yeah but I don't think that's gonna happen... not that many games left.

lonestr
04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
The Spurs aren't as dominate this year. They don't stand out over any of the other teams (Hornets, Mavs, Suns, and Lakers) Continue to live in the past though. :blah

I'd rather take my chances with this years Spurs than any team in the west. After all, the Mavs and every other "wanna be" traded specifically to get over the hump that is the Spurs. Like I said, we know our team better than you know your own Mavs. In fact, once the Spurs dispose of Dallas in the first round, we won't see you in here until next season(maybe). Deep down inside you know this. But hey, you do what ever you do to convince yourselves that the Mavs have a chance.

mavsfan1000
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I'd rather take my chances with this years Spurs than any team in the west. After all, the Mavs and every other "wanna be" traded specifically to get over the hump that is the Spurs. Like I said, we know our team better than you know your own Mavs. In fact, once the Spurs dispose of Dallas in the first round, we won't see you in here until next season(maybe). Deep down inside you know this. But hey, you do what ever you do to convince yourselves that the Mavs have a chance.
We've beat your team before. I don't see why we can't beat you again. I fear the Lakers more matchup wise. Maybe the Hornets would be our easiest matchup but we'll take whatever we get. Btw I'm here all year whether offseason or not. A loss is not going to stop me from coming to spurstalk. :toast

lonestr
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Mavsfan, I don't gauge a series based on regular season games, but your know we are 3-1 for the year with Dallas. Now having said that, getting beat in 2006 was a "go either way" series because the outcome was so close it needed a moth to fart just to give either team the edge to win in the end. Yes, a win is a win, but you guys come in here with the "we beat you before" and forget how close that series really was. I don't have confidence that Dallas will be as tenacious as that 2006 crew. I know you do, but you always stop short when reliving great moments and it does you proud that you beat San antonio when it proved absolutely nothing because you flat out choked in the finals. How the hell do you think that makes us Spurs fans feel.

It's one thing to get beat by the Mavs, it's another to see them move on and lose the whole damn thing. We were not only pissed that Dallas folded like lawn chairs, we were freakin pissed and embarrassed.

At least I have the confidence that the Spurs will mean business when facing any of the west teams. And you better be damn good because in order to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

Mavsforlife
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Mavs-lakers matchup is much harder for the mavs than Mavs-Spurs. We already know how to play yall and it would be much more satisfying to spoil your season

ShoogarBear
04-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Screw it.

Houston, Dallas, and LA all beat the Spurs the last time they played them in the post-season.

I want them all.

lonestr
04-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Mavs-lakers matchup is much harder for the mavs than Mavs-Spurs. We already know how to play yall and it would be much more satisfying to spoil your season

Great, another Mavs fan who thinks they've proven so much. Hey, how's that "fireavery.com" drive coming along?

Mavsforlife
04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Great, another Mavs fan who thinks they've proven so much. Hey, how's that "fireavery.com" drive coming along?

Just funny talk...nobody believes it. Kinda like Tony and Eva's marriage

lonestr
04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
That's fine, I don't mind other fans coming into this forum and talk Bball and such. It's that sometimes we get some real headcases who can't seem to look beyond the color blue. We have this character who is so odd, he himself can't say if he truly is either a Mavs fan or Spurs fan. I'm talking about "Mouse". I gotta beat this guy down when he spews his crap in this forum.

birdy219
04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Don't you just love mav fans? :rolleyes They beat us 2 years ago and they are still celebrating it like they won the championship. They have nerve to come on the SPURS board to talk trash. When what on earth can they possibly say to any champion? It's a lot of noisy, cocky, arrogant bravado from their fans and some of their players. Instead of being humble and grasping an appreciation of how difficult it is to earn a championship, they choose to diss and down play the Spurs championship. Somehow that one series made them think that they were invincible and that the Spurs are afraid of them. Let me show my age......POPPYCOCK!!!!

Jealousy is such an ugly thing. :p:

Enough of that :flag:

Mavsforlife
04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Don't you just love mav fans? :rolleyes They beat us 2 years ago and they are still celebrating it like they won the championship. They have nerve to come on the SPURS board to talk trash. When what on earth can they possibly say to any champion? It's a lot of noisy, cocky, arrogant bravado from their fans and some of their players. Instead of being humble and grasping an appreciation of how difficult it is to earn a championship, they choose to diss and down play the Spurs championship. Somehow that one series made them think that they were invincible and that the Spurs are afraid of them. Let me show my age......POPPYCOCK!!!!

Nobody with any sense looks at it like a championship...But it's winning a series and it means something.

If you played any sports in school you know its good for your mental psyche if you have already beaten a team in a hard fought contest. It means you do it again and you know what it takes to do it again.

Spurs are a better matchup for the mavs than the Lakers from my perspective. No jealousy or cockiness needed for that assessment. And its far from trash talk

lonestr
04-08-2008, 11:32 PM

If you really think about it, what else are you gonna do? To have been so close to the prize then experience an abomination on national T.V. You gotta feel for them. Yes it gets annoying that they bring that loss of two years ago, but when are you really going to make something for yourselves and take your place with the Spurs at the Parthenon. Just don't pretend that other stuff didn't happen, it makes them look foolish.

They say they have a Championship caliber team. Fine. Don't come in here and pound your chest and remind us of the 2006 series. Unlike Mavs fan, we know what a Championship caliber team is. We know what it takes to earn a championship.

Findog
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Great, this thread went off the rails into Rivals.com 6th grade retard smack. We can sum up the lameness as follows:

Mav fan: "We beat you two years ago."

Spur fan: "4 rings!"

I'd rather talk X's and O's. The Spurs are vulnerable, they're basically Tim, Manu and a bag of shit, but that's good enough to make a deep run regardless. Dallas has as good a shot as anybody to beat them, but some of Kidd's strengths are neutered against a team like San Antonio that has excellent transition defense and can make sure the ball is funneled to him to shoot in half-court sets. The Spurs still don't have any answer for Dirk and that's what will keep the Mavs competitive, but I would say Spurs in six. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Is the lame smacktalk alll that we have to look forward to if the Mavs and Spurs meet up in the playoffs?

Findog
04-08-2008, 11:35 PM
We know what it takes to earn a championship.

You play for the Spurs? Who are you?

Mavsforlife
04-08-2008, 11:40 PM
If you really think about it, what else are you gonna do? To have been so close to the prize then experience an abomination on national T.V. You gotta feel for them. Yes it gets annoying that they bring that loss of two years ago, but when are you really going to make something for yourselves and take your place with the Spurs at the Parthenon. Just don't pretend that other stuff didn't happen, it makes them look foolish.

They say they have a Championship caliber team. Fine. Don't come in here and pound your chest and remind us of the 2006 series. Unlike Mavs fan, we know what a Championship caliber team is. We know what it takes to earn a championship.

And that's why we would love to play yall. We know its hard as hell to win a championship...and respect that. but we don't fear yall and look at you with awe and reverence like your Athenian basketball gods. To be real with you...I've heard quite a few Spurs fans say that they don't wanna play against us for that reason. We really don't have much to lose if we played yall. You on the other hand...

lonestr
04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Whoa Mavsforlife, how can you say that a series of two years ago is good for the psyche. Then what about the Finals of 2006, or the series with the Warriors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a different team altogether. Do you mean to tell me you gotta get pumped for an achievement of two years ago to get over yourselves for the now. Are the Spurs that far up you quadrangle? If that's the case. You as fans will sorely be disappointed to never win the big one. You are fighting one foe when you have the entire league to worry about. This speaks volumes if what you say is true.

Sense
04-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Screw it.

Houston, Dallas, and LA all beat the Spurs the last time they played them in the post-season.

I want them all.

!!

good point...

something new to keep in mind....

lonestr
04-08-2008, 11:53 PM
We really don't have much to lose if we played yall. You on the other hand... - Mavsfor life

See, that's what I'm talking about. We are riding on a decade of success. It will be a very long time before this league sees a team that can accomplish what San Antonio has done. Whatever we lose, we lose with dignity and nothing will ever be taken way from us. They will make documentaries about the Spurs when they finally ride into the sunset. Style baby, that's what is all about. Not about whether we have something to lose, or Dallas has one over us two years ago.

Fabbs
04-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Just gained another 1/2 game as Blazers beat Lakers.
So much for us giving the Flamers anything.

I just want Spurs to stay ahead of Utah for home court.

Otherwise, if we beat beat Phx and LAL this week, great #2 should be locked up. But not going to determine the Championship so keeping it in perspective.

lonestr
04-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Just gained another 1/2 game as Blazers beat Lakers.
So much for us giving the Flamers anything.

I just want Spurs to stay ahead of Utah for home court.

Otherwise, if we beat beat Phx and LAL this week, great #2 should be locked up. But not going to determine the Championship so keeping it in perspective.

I wouldn't count on the Spurs winning all the remaining games. Pop is real sensitive about teams pummeling our players for the sake of a win before the playoffs. Remember, we were third seed last year, pop wont sacrifice health over stats when we are already in good standing for the post season.

Mavsforlife
04-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Whoa Mavsforlife, how can you say that a series of two years ago is good for the psyche. Then what about the Finals of 2006, or the series with the Warriors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a different team altogether. Do you mean to tell me you gotta get pumped for an achievement of two years ago to get over yourselves for the now. Are the Spurs that far up you quadrangle? If that's the case. You as fans will sorely be disappointed to never win the big one. You are fighting one foe when you have the entire league to worry about. This speaks volumes if what you say is true.

I'm going to keep it real simple...

The last time we played in a series against you we won. Period. It was 2 postseasons ago not a decade ago. Both teams have a majority of the same players on both sides. We are familiar with not only the defensive sets you run, but the offense you run as well.

You would much rather play a team that you have a familiarity with and that you have had success against. We know yall so we want to play yall. Just like I'm sure you would love to play the Cavs in a final again, right? As opposed to playing the Celtics who you aren't familiar with.

Beating you isn't a championship. If we swept yall it still wouldn't mean anything unless we won a ring. I'm sure it's the same vice-versa.

BonnerDynasty
04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
We really don't have much to lose if we played yall. You on the other hand... - Mavsfor life

See, that's what I'm talking about. We are riding on a decade of success. It will be a very long time before this league sees a team that can accomplish what San Antonio has done. Whatever we lose, we lose with dignity and nothing will ever be taken way from us. They will make documentaries about the Spurs when they finally ride into the sunset. Style baby, that's what is all about. Not about whether we have something to lose, or Dallas has one over us two years ago.

"They" being local media? No one will give a shit about the Spurs once the T.D. era is over except the Spurs fans. Hell, it's already like that now.

Killakobe81
04-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Lakers should not have lost but not end of the world ...they get a game tomorrow on loser of Spurs Suns and will have a chance to play Spurs/Hornets this week if they want a top 2 seed it is possible still but because of the lay down 1st half we now need help so a 3 is fine we will wax the Rockets ...

Killakobe81
04-09-2008, 12:14 AM
I think the no one cares stuff is overblown ..sure Stephen a Smith and afew others may not give slob on the Spurs stuff but most everyone else calls the the model franchise and Tim the best PF ever to play the game ....Manu is being called a superstar and Tony gets love as Mr.Longoria that no one repects us stuff was true back after the first title but the SPurs have shut up everyone the last 5 years ...much respect was due and it has been given ...
I want what you have the title belongs back in LA ...maybe next year ...

Fabbs
04-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't count on the Spurs winning all the remaining games. Pop is real sensitive about teams pummeling our players for the sake of a win before the playoffs. Remember, we were third seed last year, pop wont sacrifice health over stats when we are already in good standing for the post season.
That's why i said i just want the Spurs to stay ahead of Utah for homecourt.
Everything else is so variable with the top 6 facing each other in many games this week.

Agree, health is #1 issue altho would like to see us stay in top 4 for homecourt.
Bench should be a huge factor vs both Phoenix and LAL this week.

Mavsforlife
04-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Lakers should not have lost but not end of the world ...they get a game tomorrow on loser of Spurs Suns and will have a chance to play Spurs/Hornets this week if they want a top 2 seed it is possible still but because of the lay down 1st half we now need help so a 3 is fine we will wax the Rockets ...

You should sweep the rockets

lonestr
04-09-2008, 12:22 AM
BonnerD, that's what I thought for awhile, but then I went to Boston for a business trip and had lunch with a Celtic exec and a member of their local paper. They proved to me that the "now" is never news for any franchise in any sport. But because the Spurs have done in the most respectful manner in a jacked up league, people will talk about a standard they have forged that cannot be disputed or duplicated. They told me that the Spurs are a better team than any of the dynasties of the past because there were only a few teams in existence back then.

These guys were quite appreciative of having lived through the Tim Duncan years. They also said that these Spurs would run circles around the dynasties of the past.

lonestr
04-09-2008, 12:26 AM
I think the no one cares stuff is overblown ..sure Stephen a Smith and afew others may not give slob on the Spurs stuff but most everyone else calls the the model franchise and Tim the best PF ever to play the game ....Manu is being called a superstar and Tony gets love as Mr.Longoria that no one repects us stuff was true back after the first title but the SPurs have shut up everyone the last 5 years ...much respect was due and it has been given ...
I want what you have the title belongs back in LA ...maybe next year ...

:toast

spursfan09
04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm going to keep it real simple...

The last time we played in a series against you we won. Period. It was 2 postseasons ago not a decade ago. Both teams have a majority of the same players on both sides. We are familiar with not only the defensive sets you run, but the offense you run as well.

You would much rather play a team that you have a familiarity with and that you have had success against. We know yall so we want to play yall. Just like I'm sure you would love to play the Cavs in a final again, right? As opposed to playing the Celtics who you aren't familiar with.

Beating you isn't a championship. If we swept yall it still wouldn't mean anything unless we won a ring. I'm sure it's the same vice-versa.

I still can't believe you would rather play the Spurs than the Hornets or the Lakers or the Suns... Yes the Mavs beat the Spurs 2 years ago in the playoffs. But hornets= so unproven. It was fair and square. However my opinion is that if the Spurs never go down 1-3 they win the series. They were lucking to push it to 7 but didn't win. They got what they deserve. I guess the reason the Mavs would want to play us is because that was they last time they had any type of playoff success.

lonestr
04-09-2008, 12:48 AM
look, it's not about how we match-up well with this team or that team. When it's all said and done, its what you had to do to eliminate every team that stands before you. Jason Terry went on Jim Rome's show and said that he knew they were better than the Spurs and that the Spurs got a free ride to the Finals. He also said that he wasn't taking anything away from the Spurs. What he didn't realize was that you had to get the job done no matter who stands before you. Terry sounded like the little high school punk that he is for that interview he gave. He just don't get it.

birdy219
04-09-2008, 01:14 AM
look, it's not about how we match-up well with this team or that team. When it's all said and done, its what you had to do to eliminate every team that stands before you. Jason Terry went on Jim Rome's show and said that he knew they were better than the Spurs and that the Spurs got a free ride to the Finals. He also said that he wasn't taking anything away from the Spurs. What he didn't realize was that you had to get the job done no matter who stands before you. Terry sounded like the little high school punk that he is for that interview he gave. He just don't get it.

And this is what I mean by cocky arrogant bravado. If your team was so great and better than the champs, then show me your trophy. :dramaquee

They are green with envy and so are their fans. That's why they come here to pound their chests and brag about 2006. "They didn't go through us" Haha, you WEREN'T there to be gone through because you got pimp slapped by the warriors. stackhouse and terry do a whole lot of talking with no results (substance) to back it up with. stackhouse even had the nerve to talk negatively about MJ. what a moron!!! :dizzy

DubMcDub
04-09-2008, 01:16 AM
The Mavs are so shitty and so unthreatening that a significant portion of Spurs fans have developed an odd inferiority complex toward them. It's almost counter-intuitive, really.

birdy219
04-09-2008, 01:22 AM
The Mavs are so shitty and so unthreatening that a significant portion of Spurs fans have developed an odd inferiority complex toward them. It's almost counter-intuitive, really.

Yea....that's why we hang out at the mavs board waiting for their fans to mention even the slightest negative remark about the Spurs because we fear them so much.... and want to have what they have ...... because we are so INFERIOR to the mighty mavs.....oh wait :rolleyes

spursfan09
04-09-2008, 01:24 AM

Not that, its just that out of the all fans the Mavs fanbase talks the most shit without even backing it up. And what Terry said about us having a free road to the finals just adds more fuel to the fire. I can't believe what an idiot he is. I just can't believe how cocky fans and the team are. :wtf

Mavsforlife
04-09-2008, 01:30 AM
And this is what I mean by cocky arrogant bravado. If your team was so great and better than the champs, then show me your trophy. :dramaquee

They are green with envy and so are their fans. That's why they come here to pound their chests and brag about 2006. "They didn't go through us" Haha, you WEREN'T there to be gone through because you got pimp slapped by the warriors. stackhouse and terry do a whole lot of talking with no results (substance) to back it up with. stackhouse even had the nerve to talk negatively about MJ. what a moron!!! :dizzy

You keep saying we pound our chests...who pounded their chest and said "we beat yall so now we are champions" ? Your putting words in people's mouths.

Look up everything that coaches around the league said about the Mavs-Warriors series. Several went on record saying they DID NOT want to play warriors, Pop included.

Jet was trying to say that maybe the Spurs road to finals would have been harder if it would have had to go thru dallas. Don't act like you didn't breathe a sigh of RELIEF when we lost. Your road to the finals was much easier. You barely even had to show up against the Cavs

birdy219
04-09-2008, 01:40 AM
You keep saying we pound our chests...who pounded their chest and said "we beat yall so now we are champions" ? Your putting words in people's mouths.

Look up everything that coaches around the league said about the Mavs-Warriors series. Several went on record saying they DID NOT want to play warriors, Pop included.

Jet was trying to say that maybe the Spurs road to finals would have been harder if it would have had to go thru dallas. Don't act like you didn't breathe a sigh of RELIEF when we lost. Your road to the finals was much easier. You barely even had to show up against the Cavs

More arrogant bravado...... :sleep I wasn't breathing a sigh of relief.. I was laughing my butt off like the rest of the world. :lol You would think that your team would learn humility after being humiliated.... guess not.

spursfan09
04-09-2008, 01:44 AM

Breathing a sigh a relief? :lol. Dude that was pure entertainment. Watching this 67 win team getting thier asses handed to them. Sucks to be them!

Mavsforlife
04-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm glad you were entertained by watching us play...too bad the rest of America can't say the same about watching the Spurs. I heard "How to build a burger" on food network got more ratings than the Spurs vs Cavs Finals. Interesting...

Back to original topic...

Most Mavs fans wanna play spurs or N.O. but not L.A. I prefer Spurs because I don't like the matchups with N.O. Mavs vs. Spurs would be far more entertaining to me as well...as long as there aren't any more questionable suspensions.

ludda
04-09-2008, 02:56 AM
:rolleyes :dizzy at all this back and forth.

This season, no first round draw is going to be easy. As far as the Mavs go, I'll think about that when the time comes. I have no doubt Spurs can win the series, but just like any other opponent, it will be a tough battle.

the top 7 are separated by SIX GAMES, anyone who claims one team is clearly superior and dominant to another is fooling themselves. Every series will be tough.

Trainwreck2100
04-09-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm glad you were entertained by watching us play...too bad the rest of America can't say the same about watching the Spurs. I heard "How to build a burger" on food network got more ratings than the Spurs vs Cavs Finals. Interesting...

Back to original topic...

Most Mavs fans wanna play spurs or N.O. but not L.A. I prefer Spurs because I don't like the matchups with N.O. Mavs vs. Spurs would be far more entertaining to me as well...as long as there aren't any more questionable suspensions.

who guards duncan?

johngateswhiteley
04-09-2008, 03:29 AM

:tu ....not bad.

stretch
04-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Great, this thread went off the rails into Rivals.com 6th grade retard smack. We can sum up the lameness as follows:

Mav fan: "We beat you two years ago."

Spur fan: "4 rings!"

I'd rather talk X's and O's. The Spurs are vulnerable, they're basically Tim, Manu and a bag of shit, but that's good enough to make a deep run regardless. Dallas has as good a shot as anybody to beat them, but some of Kidd's strengths are neutered against a team like San Antonio that has excellent transition defense and can make sure the ball is funneled to him to shoot in half-court sets. The Spurs still don't have any answer for Dirk and that's what will keep the Mavs competitive, but I would say Spurs in six. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Is the lame smacktalk alll that we have to look forward to if the Mavs and Spurs meet up in the playoffs?
It's always these noob spurs fans getting over sensitive, and noob Mavs fans taking the trash talk too far and not showing respect when respect is due. Maybe Kori should open up a section for gamethreads where noobs are not allowed to post so that our discussions and trash talk is actually fun without oversenstive bastards fucking stuff up.

lonestr
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM

Mavsforlife, you have it all wrong. You can't pick and choose the team you want to play in the playoffs, think about that for just a moment. The free ride to the Finals jargon goes to prove how narrow minded you and most Mavs fans really are. With that logic in mind, Dallas was doomed from the beginning and shouldn't have played the series at all. They should have forfeited the first round and claimed that it was not fair that Dallas drew Golden Gate instead of the Spurs just because they know they match-up better and think they can beat San Antonio.

You want to be Champions, well guess what. Eliminate the team in front of you all the way to the Finals, and you too will hold that trophy. We've been winning since 1999, this match-up bullshit is a myth. It's about who wants it more and what are you gonna do to get it DONE. After all, you only get one chance. It's very difficult to get to the finals as it is, and here you are convinced that it's all about who matches well with who. Dude, Dallas lost that window of opportunity and will not be in another Finals for a long time. Dallas blew that chance along time ago.

lonestr
04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
It's always these noob spurs fans getting over sensitive, and noob Mavs fans taking the trash talk too far and not showing respect when respect is due. Maybe Kori should open up a section for gamethreads where noobs are not allowed to post so that our discussions and trash talk is actually fun without oversenstive bastards fucking stuff up.

Stretch, the way I see it, people start out as fanatics for their respective teams. It's places like these forums that eventually shape people into basketball enthusiast who can appreciate not only their team but the game itself. So we get the noobs and some trash talk, it comes with the territory. As long as there's no malicious language and first grade logic to debate a point, what better place to go in and mix it up. Sometime it can get quite hilarious.

stretch
04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Stretch, the way I see it, people start out as fanatics for their respective teams. It's places like these forums that eventually shape people into basketball enthusiast who can appreciate not only their team but the game itself. So we get the noobs and some trash talk, it comes with the territory. As long as there's no malicious language and first grade logic to debate a point, what better place to go in and mix it up. Sometime it can get quite hilarious.
It's only hilarious when stupid noobs get owned. other than that, noob trash talk is annoying as fuck.

lonestr
04-09-2008, 09:13 AM
^^Agreed.

NRHector
04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
:tu
Mavsforlife, you have it all wrong. You can't pick and choose the team you want to play in the playoffs, think about that for just a moment. The free ride to the Finals jargon goes to prove how narrow minded you and most Mavs fans really are. With that logic in mind, Dallas was doomed from the beginning and shouldn't have played the series at all. They should have forfeited the first round and claimed that it was not fair that Dallas drew Golden Gate instead of the Spurs just because they know they match-up better and think they can beat San Antonio.

You want to be Champions, well guess what. Eliminate the team in front of you all the way to the Finals, and you too will hold that trophy. We've been winning since 1999, this match-up bullshit is a myth. It's about who wants it more and what are you gonna do to get it DONE. After all, you only get one chance. It's very difficult to get to the finals as it is, and here you are convinced that it's all about who matches well with who. Dude, Dallas lost that window of opportunity and will not be in another Finals for a long time. Dallas blew that chance along time ago.:tu

Cry Havoc
04-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I'd rather talk X's and O's. The Spurs are vulnerable, they're basically Tim, Manu and a bag of shit

I can't wait until the "bag of shit" named Tony Parker torches you for 25 a game and Bowen shuts down anyone he guards. Do you really think Jho is suddenly going to be become a fantastic basketball player again?

dieman8686
04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Peeps please shut the hole up, and be patient for results to come. This kiddo smack is really old and pointless...this smack is at the very least admissable only after the team wins the presumed series, considering another task awaits :hungry: for the ultimate goal of "this" year.... :king .

Findog
04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I can't wait until the "bag of shit" named Tony Parker torches you for 25 a game and Bowen shuts down anyone he guards. Do you really think Jho is suddenly going to be become a fantastic basketball player again?

Tony Parker has got to be one of the most overrated players in the game. I don't know if it's the bone spurs or not, but I haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Tell me what he did the last time the Mavs and Spurs played when a wheelchair-bound Kidd couldn't keep up with him?

Who's going to guard Dirk if Bowen is on Howard? Because the Great Udoka isn't going to do it. And it's not like Bowen is all that effective on Dirk himself. If I were Pop, I'd accept the fact that Dirk is going to rape me and have Bowen battle Howard. But Pop will rotate Bowen around.

stretch
04-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Tony Parker has got to be one of the most overrated players in the game. I don't know if it's the bone spurs or not, but I haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Tell me what he did the last time the Mavs and Spurs played when a wheelchair-bound Kidd couldn't keep up with him?

Who's going to guard Dirk if Bowen is on Howard? Because the Great Udoka isn't going to do it. And it's not like Bowen is all that effective on Dirk himself. If I were Pop, I'd accept the fact that Dirk is going to rape me and have Bowen battle Howard. But Pop will rotate Bowen around.
The funny thing is that for some reason, Bowen actually seems to have a hard time guarding Howard. Don't know if its the long arms or the quickness or what, but I've never seem him give Howard too much of a hard time.

Findog
04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
The funny thing is that for some reason, Bowen actually seems to have a hard time guarding Howard. Don't know if its the long arms or the quickness or what, but I've never seem him give Howard too much of a hard time.

It's because Howard is a hothead that somehow doesn't get flustered by Bowen's tactics. He stands up for himself.

ancestron
04-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Brevity is the key to communication.

Spurs > Mavericks

theroc5
04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
itd be Spurs in 5

if it started right now my ranking would be:

1.Jazz
2.Nuggets
3.Suns
4.lakers