PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ankiel

T Park
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
3 homers 6 RBis batting 348

nice start Ricky :tu

Nice 5-1 start in the first week of the season for the Cardinals.

I had low expectations coming into this season, and they probobly won't keep all of this up but, it sure is nice right now.

The young guys are playing good, guys like Barton, Ankiel, Molina, Mclellan.

Keep it up Redbirds!! :)

Evan
04-07-2008, 06:29 AM
When its all said and done, if he writes a bio I will buy it. Sure its a good story.

MajorMike
04-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Just think, if the Cards wouldn't have gotten opening day rained out, allowing the rox to get a do-over, they would be 6-0.

TheTruth
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Gotta love Tpark. He bags on Pedro in one thread for being on performance enhancers, and starts a thread to praise an admitted one.

Ankiel is a great story though. Gotta respect what he's done to turn his career around.

T Park
04-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Gotta love Tpark. He bags on Pedro in one thread for being on performance enhancers, and starts a thread to praise an admitted one.

Ankiel is a great story though. Gotta respect what he's done to turn his career around.

Should I start one to bag on Griffey for being one too?

Ankiel had them perscribed to him by a doctor at a time when they were legal to use, to speed recovery from an injury.

Wasn't used to enhance his play.

Whatever.

TheTruth
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Ankiel had them perscribed to him by a doctor at a time when they were legal to use, to speed recovery from an injury.

Whatever.
That's a good excuse. Barry Bonds should have thought of it.

T Park
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Except Bonds didn't have Tommy John surgery on his elbow like Ankiel did.

TheTruth
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Except Bonds didn't have Tommy John surgery on his elbow like Ankiel did.
Man, Ankiel's excuse is air tight. I'm sorry I ever bagged on the guy for admitting to using a banned substance. My bad.

T Park
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Its not an excuse its fact..

TheTruth
04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Its not an excuse its fact..
Exactly! It's a fact that he used a banned substance.

T Park
04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Its a fact he had Tommy John surgery and the doctor he went to prescribed it to him.

Dunno whats so difficult about that.

K-State Spur
04-09-2008, 01:43 AM

Whatever.

The only legal uses of HGH are to treat dwarfism, hormone deficiency, AIDS treatments, and some other rare disorders.

Any other use is off-label and illegal. The FDA has never approved it for injury recovery, so when (IF) Ankiel used it for that purpose, he was breaking the law.

Not a huge deal compared to the rest of the league, but justifying it with false info (i.e. that it was legal) just isn't true.

T Park
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Legal under MLB rules...

tlongII
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm sure Ankiel only uses HGH now.

K-State Spur
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Legal under MLB rules...

hrmm, you never let Bonds have that excuse.

anyhow, the laws of the USA supersede any rules or list of banned substances that can be published by MLB, so 'ILLEGAL' is still the correct word in every way, shape, and form.

arguing that using HGH was legal under MLB rules is like arguing that beating your wife is legal under MLB rules just because there is nothing that specifically mentions it.

timvp
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
If you are on the Cardinals, T Park gives you a free pass. He's still waiting for proof McGwire took steroids. :lol

got proof McGwire cheated??

Thats what all the people have been sayin about Barry Bonds.

Theres no proof Mcgwire did, look at pictures of his brothers and father.

They are all naturally big guys.

But of course, that wouldnt fit into you or anyone elses jackass agenda.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103479&highlight=mcgwire#post103479

FromWayDowntown
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
We had a similar discussion when Ankiel came up last year and started mashing. I like TPark, but the willingness to give Ankiel a pass that other players can't seemingly get strikes me as pretty much being the textbook definition of homer-ism.

T Park
04-09-2008, 11:58 PM
If you are on the Cardinals, T Park gives you a free pass. He's still waiting for proof McGwire took steroids. :lol

Not at all, i know Mcgwire took em and I never liked him on the team.

Keep bulling bullshit out of your ass thats wrong about me, heaven knows everyone else does.

T Park
04-09-2008, 11:58 PM
We had a similar discussion when Ankiel came up last year and started mashing. I like TPark, but the willingness to give Ankiel a pass that other players can't seemingly get strikes me as pretty much being the textbook definition of homer-ism.

So is he back on the juice while hes mashing right now?

T Park
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
hrmm, you never let Bonds have that excuse.

anyhow, the laws of the USA supersede any rules or list of banned substances that can be published by MLB, so 'ILLEGAL' is still the correct word in every way, shape, and form.

arguing that using HGH was legal under MLB rules is like arguing that beating your wife is legal under MLB rules just because there is nothing that specifically mentions it.

When was Bonds ever prescribed steroids?

K-State Spur
04-10-2008, 12:17 AM
just having a prescription doesn't make it legal.

all that means is that the doctor who prescribed them is just as guilty as Ankiel.

i'm sure there are doctors out there who are crooked enough to prescribe you marijuana if you offered enough cash. but if you start toking up around a cop, you better be showing major signs of glaucoma...

T Park
04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
just having a prescription doesn't make it legal.

all that means is that the doctor who prescribed them is just as guilty as Ankiel.

i'm sure there are doctors out there who are crooked enough to prescribe you marijuana if you offered enough cash. but if you start toking up around a cop, you better be showing major signs of glaucoma...

So should've Ankiel said, "No, I don't want my arm to heal faster and get back to work" ?

Melmart1
04-10-2008, 01:16 AM
So is he back on the juice while hes mashing right now?
So is Pedro on steroids because he is breaking down?

K-State Spur
04-10-2008, 01:24 AM
So should've Ankiel said, "No, I don't want my arm to heal faster and get back to work" ?

just because it might make things more convenient doesn't make it legal.

just say, "yeah, like a lot of other guys he cheated. but he plays for my team so i'm going to root for him anyways."

justifying it is just silly.

T Park
04-10-2008, 01:46 AM
So is Pedro on steroids because he is breaking down?

maybe.

T Park
04-10-2008, 01:47 AM
just because it might make things more convenient doesn't make it legal.

just say, "yeah, like a lot of other guys he cheated. but he plays for my team so i'm going to root for him anyways."

justifying it is just silly.

Was he in the mitchell report?

All I've seen was a report from the New York Times, and then him saying his doctor "prescribed" it.

Hes done what hes done while the MLB is testing hardcore.

Yeah what the hell, he sucks, its all the juice obviously.

K-State Spur
04-10-2008, 02:09 AM
doesn't matter if it was prescribed. he's not a dwarf. he doesn't have a pituitary problem. he (presumably) does not have AIDS. he can't lawfully use it.

it's that simple. you can say anything else you want, spin anything else you want. but that's really the only point that matters and it is indisputable.

Melmart1
04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
maybe.
Maybe? Cus when you brought it up in the other thread, you didn't say *coughMAYBEsteroidscough*.

The point I am trying to make is that you practically accuse Pedro, who has NEVER been shown to have ever used a banned substance (legally or not) then get mad when others point out Ankiel, who IS an admitted user (legally or not).

Total hypocrisy.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Pedro don't play in St. Louis.

T Park
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry for having an opinion.

I'll try not to do that again.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2008, 06:07 PM

It's okay to have an opinion. It makes you look bad, however, to defend one guy when so many others who are vilified did exactly what he did. Either the use of HGH to aid performance as a ballplayer (whether by helping to recover from injuries or something else) is okay across the board or it's not. Believing that Ankiel is somehow different from the rest of the HGH users strikes me as an opinion that is based solely on the fact that Ankiel plays for your favorite team.

It's okay to have an opinion, but having one that's not very well defenisble opens you up to valid criticisms, I think.

TheTruth
04-10-2008, 06:22 PM

:rolleyes

Just admit your a homer. Not a damn thing wrong with that. I still think the Reds have a chance to win the World Series in 2006. Fuck it that it's 2 years ago.

K-State Spur
04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Exactly.

I have never tried to justify the use of PEDs by Brian Roberts.

But that doesn't mean that I want the O's to release him or that I'm not rooting for him to have a monster season (by a 5'9 second baseman's standards) just the same.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
It's okay to have an opinion. It makes you look bad, however, to defend one guy when so many others who are vilified did exactly what he did. Either the use of HGH to aid performance as a ballplayer (whether by helping to recover from injuries or something else) is okay across the board or it's not. Believing that Ankiel is somehow different from the rest of the HGH users strikes me as an opinion that is based solely on the fact that Ankiel plays for your favorite team.

It's okay to have an opinion, but having one that's not very well defenisble opens you up to valid criticisms, I think.

HGH used as a rehabillitant to come back from injuries, wich is what some of the players used it for "allegedly" if true, is OK, IMO.

If ONLY used, for cases like that.

If its illegal federally to use it for that, then obviously you can't its not good.

I did not know that it wasn't legal to use HGH outside of dwarfism and what not so I apologize on that.

MajorMike
05-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Holy cow TP, if you haven't seen highlights from last night you need to go watch. Ankiel nailed 2 runners at 3rd last night. One was Taveras on a fly out to DEEP CF as he tagged at 2nd and the other was even more amazing when he chased the ball to the warning track, picked it up and threw a laser to get Quintanilla trying to stretch a 2B into 3B. Unreal.

T Park
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah that throw to get Taveras was just unreal.

rascal
05-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Ankiel is an amazing player. A converted sp to a starting outfielder in this day just doesn't happen.