PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi Makes All-NBA Development League First Team

gmanrulz
04-07-2008, 03:48 AM
NBA Development League Announces 2007-08 GATORADE All-League Selections

Randy Livingston was named First Team All-D-League for the second straight year.
Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images
NEW YORK, April 6, 2008 – Sioux Falls Skyforce forward Kasib Powell, the 2008 NBA Development League’s Most Valuable Player and 2007 MVP Randy Livingston an Idaho Stampede guard, headline the 2007-08 GATORADE All-NBA Development League First Team. The squad is rounded out by Colorado guard Eddie Gill, Los Angeles forward Sean Banks and Austin’s Ian Mahinmi, an assigned center from the San Antonio Spurs.

Two members of the Dakota Wizards – guard Blake Ahearn, currently with the Miami Heat and center Rod Benson - earned spots on the GATORADE All-NBA Development League Second Team. The duo from Dakota is joined by Austin guard Andre Barrett, Colorado forward Kaniel Dickens and Idaho forward Lance Allred, currently with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The GATORADE All-NBA Development League Third Team consists of Colorado guard Billy Thomas, Utah’s Morris Almond, a guard on assignment from the Utah Jazz, Dakota forward Carlos Powell, former Austin forward Marcus Williams, currently playing with the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles center Jelani McCoy.

“With so many talented players in the League this year, it was a challenge for our coaches to select the All-League teams,” Chris Alpert, D-League Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel said. “The League congratulates the First, Second and Third team selections, as well as the honorable mentions, for their phenomenal seasons.”

The All-NBA Development League team results:
* - player currently in NBA

2007-08 ALL-NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE FIRST TEAM

Position Player Team
Guard Randy Livingston Idaho Stampede
Guard Eddie Gill Colorado 14ers
Forward Kasib Powell Sioux Falls Skyforce
Forward Sean Banks Los Angeles D-Fenders
Center Ian Mahinmi Austin Toros/Spurs

2007-08 ALL-NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE SECOND TEAM

Position Player Team
Guard Andre Barrett Austin Toros
Guard Blake Ahearn* Dakota Wizards
Forward Kaniel Dickens Colorado 14ers
Forward Lance Allred* Idaho Stampede
Center Rod Benson Dakota Wizards

2007-08 ALL-NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE THIRD TEAM

Position Player Team
Guard Billy Thomas Colorado 14ers
Guard Morris Almond* Utah Flash/Jazz
Forward Carlos Powell Dakota Wizards
Forward Marcus Williams* Austin Toros
Center Jelani McCoy Los Angeles D-Fenders

2007-08 ALL-NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE HONORABLE MENTION

Position Player Team
Guard Adam Harrington Tulsa 66ers
Guard Desmon Farmer Rio Grande Valley Vipers
Guard Ramon Sessions* Tulsa 66ers/Bucks
Guard Earl Calloway Fort Wayne Mad Ants
Guard/Forward Dermarr Johnson Austin Toros
Forward Stephane Lasme* Los Angeles D-Fenders
Forward Justin Reed Bakersfield Jam
Forward Mike Hall Tulsa 66ers
Center Mouhamed Sene Idaho Stampede/SuperSonics
Forward Cory Violette Idaho Stampede
Guard Nick Fazekas* Tulsa 66ers/Mavericks
Center Chris Alexander Sioux Falls Skyforce

Bruno
04-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Congrats to Ian.
From what I've seen of the D-League and despite some bad games due to foul troubles or injuries, he deserves it because he has just been dominant in a lot of games.

I'm quite surprised to see Sean Banks not being called up. He is young, has a NBA body and is having a very good season. If Spurs don't re-sign Bobby Jones, they should consider to sign him.

mystargtr34
04-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Impressive.

Brutalis
04-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Hmm nice

wildbill2u
04-07-2008, 09:35 AM
What's especially important is that the selections were made by the coaches. If they see first team skills in Ian that is a nice and perhaps unexpected development considering all the questions about his skills.

I'm guessing that his athleticism is overriding whatever problems he has with fouls and limited skill set.

ChumpDumper
04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm quite surprised to see Sean Banks not being called up. He is young, has a NBA body and is having a very good season. If Spurs don't re-sign Bobby Jones, they should consider to sign him.Amen. The Spurs need more scorers.

BTW, the Bakersfield game from 3/30 is going to be on NBAtv at 3PM today.

duncan228
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
McDonald chimes in today. Better late than never I guess.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/04/jeff_mcdonald_o_1.html

Jeff McDonald: One for Ian

Ian Manhinmi has been named to the NBA Devleopmental League's all-league first-team, it was announced Wednesday morning.

The 6-foot-10 Mahinmi, the Spurs' 2006 first-round draft choice on assignment with the Austin Toros, is averaging 16.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game in his first professional season in the United States. All in all, not a bad campaign for a player vying for a spot on the big club next year.

Mahinmi, 21, wasn't the only Spurs draft pick to find a home on the D-League's all-league team.

Former Toro Marcus Williams, the Spurs' second-round choice last summer, earned a spot on the third team. Williams, who was waived by the Spurs in December, now plays for the Los Angeles Clippers.

dbreiden83080
04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Good for him, Pop needs to plan on giving this guy every oppurtunity next year to contribute, he really looks to be developing.

Phenomanul
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
It would be nice if they brought in D-Rob to help mentor Ian's development.

pad300
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
It would be nice if they brought in D-Rob to help mentor Ian's development.

I'd actually prefer to see Hakeem. 1) When I first saw Ian move, on grainy youtube from france, the first thing I said was "he moves like Hakeem did when he first came to College". 2) Hakeem had/has a much better developed skill set than David. D-Rob is good, don't get me wrong, but he was never one of those Basketball is my life guys; it was a job for him, not an Art. I haven't heard of D-Rob doing any Bball after he retired, while Hakeem has been mentoring younger players...

boutons_
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Will Ian be on the playoff roster?

DaDakota
04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I sit behind the Toros bench and have watched him all year....he has improved a lot, mostly due to his confidence I think.

I believe he can help you guys.

DD

Darkwaters
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Will Ian be on the playoff roster?

There is no such thing as a playoff roster anymore. A team can swap players from the IRR to the active status at will like they do in the regular season.

inconvertible
04-09-2008, 06:08 PM
he will avg 25pts 13rebs and 4 blks a game when he finally matures in 2010.

tp2021
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
^^ i hope. maybe in NBA live.

jman3000
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
I haven't heard of D-Rob doing any Bball after he retired, while Hakeem has been mentoring younger players...
winning the shooting stars contest?

manufor3
04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
nice

clubalien
04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
ian is probably the best bigman talent outside of david robinson the spurs have seen. ALL_NBA his first year and dominating stats are just the beginning for him

timvp
04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
D-Rob is good, don't get me wrong, but he was never one of those Basketball is my life guys; it was a job for him, not an Art. I haven't heard of D-Rob doing any Bball after he retired, while Hakeem has been mentoring younger players...I don't get how people still try to play the "Robinson doesn't like basketball card". He's had season tickets since the day he retired and can often be found watching the team on the sidelines. What other retired player goes to more games than Robinson? He must like something about the game . . .

Oh and Hakeem has spent about 90% of his time in Jordan after he retired. Last I checked, Jordan isn't exactly a basketball hotbed.

clubalien
04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
robinson is just watching his investment... remember how he "forced" himself into the ownership by demanding through the media and fan base he have an opportunity to buy the spurs...

what good investor doesn't watch their money

Kori Ellis
04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
remember how he "forced" himself into the ownership by demanding through the media and fan base he have an opportunity to buy the spurs...

No.

timvp
04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
robinson is just watching his investment... remember how he "forced" himself into the ownership by demanding through the media and fan base he have an opportunity to buy the spurs...WTH?

clubalien
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
David Robinson, a pillar of a player with the San Antonio Spurs, will take on a new role with the team.

Robinson
The former Spurs center said he has an ownership stake in the franchise, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

"All the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed," Robinson told the paper. "I think we're in."

Robinson bought a 1.88 percent share from former Spurs president and chief executive officer Jack Diller, the paper reported. The transaction did not require NBA approval because the stake was for less than 5 percent.

"I just want to learn what [being an owner] is about," Robinson told the Express-News. "I want to get a feel for how things work. After not playing last year, this sort of makes me feel part of the team again."

Peter Holt and his wife, Juliana, own the largest share at about 32 percent, the newspaper reported.

Robinson, who played all 14 of his NBA seasons with the Spurs, retired after the 2002-03 season and won two NBA titles. He is the team's all-time leader in scoring, rebounding and games played.

Source:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1907579

Solid D
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
ian is probably the best bigman talent outside of david robinson the spurs have seen. ALL_NBA his first year and dominating stats are just the beginning for him

What? Tim Duncan isn't in that bigman talent equation?

clubalien
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Tim is a pretty good player, but he has always had help. David did have an allstar in Sean. I wouldn't put the ball in the hands of Tim at the end of a game I would rather have manu take it. If you look at wikipedias community assignment of Spurs eras(not mine) they are listed as

2 Team history
2.1 The ABA years: Dallas Chaparrals (1967-1973)
2.2 The ABA years: Coming to San Antonio (1973-1976)
2.3 Into the NBA: The George Gervin years (1976-1985)
2.4 Hard times (1985-1989)
2.5 Mr. Robinson's neighborhood (1989-1997)
2.6 The championship era (1997-present)
2.6.1 The Twin Towers: Duncan and Robinson (1997-2003)
2.6.2 The Big Three: Duncan, Parker and Ginóbili (2003-present)

David Robinson has his own era... Just like Ian will. Some might argue that Tim just has better players than david did so he has to share his era with other players. MJ had good players too but it was always the MJ era. David = Multiple Gold Medals. Tim=teammate is a gold medalist. I just think players like David robinson are pretty rare even filled with pro athletes that would beat me any day even blind folded.

We are still waiting for the next MJ.

Solid D
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Tim Duncan is a pretty good player? That's just an asinine post, clubalien. I'm sure you don't even believe yourselve.

clubalien
04-13-2008, 04:44 PM
THis laker games demonstrates what I am talking about Tim needs Manu. Replace Tim with David and this is a win. Tim is a nice complemental player but true dominating bigmen scorers with Defense skills are the worth millions in the nba.