PDA

View Full Version : The truth! re da Spurs being beat by Stan

Rummpd
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
NBA questions: Who in the West can take down the Spurs?
E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 9 WATCH THIS TOPIC
Posted: April 7, 2008
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=396776

Questions to ponder while wondering if we'll finally see a tight game in the NCAA Tournament that doesn't involve Davidson:

With all these great teams in the West, how many of them have better than a one-in-three chance of knocking off the defending champions in a seven-game series?

Easy. None of them.

Seriously, what about the Lakers?

Call me when Andrew Bynum returns and is playing like he was before his knee injury. In other words, call me next season. After missing two months, he can't be expected to step in and pick up where he left off. Without Bynum at 100 percent, the Lakers still might be the second best team in the conference, but that doesn't mean they can handle the Spurs' experience, depth and Tim Duncan.

OK, what about the Suns?

Any team that is outscored 27-9 in the fourth quarter at home -- as the Suns were by the Mavericks on Sunday -- should not be booking rooms in Boston or Detroit for the first weekend in June. The Suns have played well enough lately to give their fans hope that the Shaquille O'Neal trade will work. The Suns also have had enough stretches like Sunday's -- when they were shut out for the better part of the last quarter -- to keep us doubters doubting.

The Jazz?

No one is better at home, but these guys really struggle on the road. I know the Jazz's league-best 35-4 record at EnergySolutions Arena includes Friday night's convincing 90-64 victory over the Spurs. But the Jazz haven't won in San Antonio since Carlos Boozer was a senior at Juneau-Douglas High School, and Utah is the only top-six team in the West with a losing record on the road. Gaining home-court advantage on the Spurs is a long shot because the Jazz trail by two games with five to play -- with the season finale in San Antonio. No home court, no chance.

The Mavs?

Well, I sure like their chances a lot more after their fourth-quarter performance at Phoenix on Sunday. Headed for the No. 7 seed and a possible first-round date with the Spurs, the Mavs have as good a chance as anyone to unseat the champs. One reason: Dirk Nowitzki's high ankle sprain could prove beneficial in the long run. When Nowitzki was out, Josh Howard raised his game, Jason Terry woke up, and the Mavs seemed to get more comfortable with Jason Kidd. Then Nowitzki made a quicker-than-expected return and, based on the way he's played in his past two games, is closer to 100 percent than anyone figured he could be two weeks after the injury. So maybe the bad karma that dogged the Mavs in their past two playoff series has dissipated. Then again, maybe it hasn't. I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon after one impressive fourth quarter.

The Hornets?

I could use the rationale that teams don't go from not making the playoffs one year to reaching the Finals the next. If I did that, though, I would not be able to pick the Celtics to win the championship, and I'm liking the Celtics' chances more and more. So why not the Hornets? Their bench is thinner than the other contenders, and their lack of playoff experience will, in fact, hurt them.

The Rockets?

If you can remember the last time a team reached the Finals with its best player injured for the entire playoffs, please let me know.

The Nuggets? The Warriors?

A scout told me recently that a lack of leadership could cost the Nuggets in close games. He must have been talking about games like Sunday night's, when the Nuggets lost in double overtime at lowly Seattle. Sonics rookies Kevin Durant and Jeff Green delivered the big shots, not Allen Iverson or Carmelo Anthony.

The Warriors simply aren't big enough to survive three rounds of playoffs in the West, even if they don't have to face the Spurs.

Of course, the Nuggets and Warriors have to worry about reaching the playoffs before they can think about the Spurs.

Stan McNeal is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected]

Dingle Barry
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Writing off the Hornets too easily. I don't like the matchups with them.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Pretty good analysis overall.

The Mavs will likely be the 7 and will get to play the underdog card this year. Spurs v. Mavs would have been a WCF matchup the last few years and now it's a 1st rounder.

Me no likey.

lonestr
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Writing off the Hornets too easily. I don't like the matchups with them.

Dude, this may sound a bit unorthodox but remember that the hornets are coached by Byron Scott. The same Byron Scott Pop schooled in the 2003 Finals.

Enough said.

Princess Pimp
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Anyone can beat the overrated Spurs..Mark my words...

Dingle Barry
04-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Dude, this may sound a bit unorthodox but remember that the hornets are coached by Byron Scott. The same Byron Scott Pop schooled in the 2003 Finals.

Enough said.
Silly

milkyway21
04-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Anyone can beat the overrated Spurs..Mark my words...maybe. but the question is who andhow .

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Hmmmm, making us favourites, I don't like that.

He writes off the Hornets far too easily - CP3 is the MVP, West is a nightmare matchup for us because he can play inside or out to 20ft, Peja has found his stroke, and Chandler has bothered Tim with his length. Also, their bench is not so bad now with Bonzi the Spur-killah, Pargo (hot and cold), Julian Wright is a live wire. Sure, not a great bench, but their starters aren't old and don't need much rest.

The Jazz have the tools to beat us too - assume they hold home court and all they have to do is win one away with the right bounce of the ball.

Lakers are for next year, agreed on that. Warriors can't stop Tim. Houston is spent. Nuggets are scary but still too inconsistent... though if they get hot, watch out. Mavs will play us tough, but they don't scare me any more.

We really need to work out a way to beat the Hornets, and while the talk about inexperience is popular wisdom, I don't think CP3 gives a crap. He can win 4 games on his own. That is a scary squad, and it would not surprise me if we lose to them in 6/7 if we have to face them.

Supergirl
04-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Hornets are good enough to make it out of the first round, maybe out of the 2nd. But as the playoffs go on, experience matters more and more, and so does depth.

However, if they can stay healthy and keep their squad together, they could be winning a championship in a year or two.

JK2
04-08-2008, 07:12 AM
stupid analysis. the spurs are not the team to beat, they will enjoy a first round exit unless they face Houston.

word
04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Who is this Greg person ? We need to sign him NOW !!

From the comment section of this article:

In the West, the only team that has the experience to go all the way is San Antonio. While the Lakers are talented enough to beat them, they don't play consistent enough defense and they have a habit of getting killed by penetrating point guards like Greg Parker.

travis2
04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
stupid analysis. the spurs are not the team to beat, they will enjoy a first round exit unless they face Houston.

:troll

Manu's Bald Spot
04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Hornets and Lakers (only if Bynum is back healthy) should be our two biggest worries. After that, it's Phx and Utah (even though their defense is average, they are physical as hell and hard to beat at home). Dallas will be hard, but I think the matchups are better for us now than the last 2 years (Parker will destroy Kidd/Terry and still no one to match with Duncan).

After that, we hsould be able to beat the rest of the teams. But every round will be tough this year, which sux if we have to play a well-rested Celts/Pistons team in the Finals

703 Spurz
04-08-2008, 10:09 AM

:sleep

Brutalis
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Stupid ass article. For reel.