PDA

View Full Version : Amare = By Far Best Player in the game?

Jeremy
04-07-2008, 04:32 PM
According to NBA.com, Amare ranks #2 in Total Efficiency Points and #2 in Efficiency Ranking (second only to LeBron). BUT, Amare only plays 34.0 minutes per game. In Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes, Amare is #1 at 40.14. Not only is he #1, but he is by far #1, with nobody even close to him. Behind Amare, Andrew Bynum is next at 36.42 (not sure if he qualifies as I can't get it to only show qualified players) and then LeBron at 36.18.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=00&season=22007&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All%20Teams

So, does this mean that Amare is by far the best player in the NBA?

TheMACHINE
04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
or you can post this in the thread already made about amare.

monosylab1k
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
What was his free throw efficiency in the 4th quarter yesterday?

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
:lol

balli
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Fuck metrics. By this he's the best. By adjusted +/- he's not even in the top 30. Numbers and stats can be compiled to show anything. I'll just call it like I see it and say, no, Amare is nowhere near the best in the NBA.

Findog
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Amare is padding his stats because teams don't double him with Nash and Shaq out on the floor. And he can't play a lick of defense. I don't want to hear another word about Amare being the MVP or the best player in the game.

manufor3
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
guess what!!! EPIC FAIL

Killakobe81
04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Ummm no. Not even close. Robinson did well in those numbers Barkley to great players but never were the BEST

Matchman
04-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Hes called STAT for a reason LoL

O-Factor
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
According to NBA.com, Amare ranks #2 in Total Efficiency Points and #2 in Efficiency Ranking (second only to LeBron). BUT, Amare only plays 34.0 minutes per game. In Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes, Amare is #1 at 40.14. Not only is he #1, but he is by far #1, with nobody even close to him. Behind Amare, Andrew Bynum is next at 36.42 (not sure if he qualifies as I can't get it to only show qualified players) and then LeBron at 36.18.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp?league=00&season=22007&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=7&splitDD=All%20Teams

So, does this mean that Amare is by far the best player in the NBA?

No

phyzik
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Lets wait to see what his severely over-rated ass does when Nash retires... then we will talk.

ElNono
04-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I would surely agree that he leads the dumbest NBA mofo ranking by a sizeable margin.

Xylus
04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
The Amare hate in these forums has reached a ridiculous level, and I'm not sure why. He's cocky, sure, but he's a good guy on the court. Doesn't start fights, doesn't make "dirty" plays, doesn't whine to the refs as much as any Spurs player, doesn't sucker punch people and then run away, doesn't start brawls.

I think if the Suns won the championship and Amare was the Finals MVP, you guys still wouldn't give him any credit. :lol

ElNono
04-08-2008, 12:08 AM
The Amare hate in these forums has reached a ridiculous level, and I'm not sure why. He's cocky, sure, but he's a good guy on the court. Doesn't start fights, doesn't make "dirty" plays, doesn't whine to the refs as much as any Spurs player, doesn't sucker punch people and then run away, doesn't start brawls.

I think if the Suns won the championship and Amare was the Finals MVP, you guys still wouldn't give him any credit. :lol

Isn't it great that's never going to happen?

Xylus
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Isn't it great that's never going to happen?
You're so funny. My balls just burst from laughing.

BonnerDynasty
04-08-2008, 12:30 AM

He just cries to the media. Tis all :toast

DarrinS
04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
He's an incredible defender.

stretch
04-08-2008, 08:42 AM

I don't have any hate for Amare himself really. He seems cocky, but so is about 85% of the league. I just don't like how some people overrate him. He is a good player, but not this amazing top 5 PF/MVP candidate or anything like that. And I really do not respect the complete lack of effort he shows on defense. That used to be my biggest knock on Dirk, but over the past few years, even though he is not a great defender, he does try a lot harder, and I am glad to see that.

Dex
04-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Post this again when Amare is averaging 48 minutes a game.

Soul_Patch
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Post this again when Amare can actually defend any true low post threat without fouling out by half time.

Jeremy
04-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Exactly. I'm just trying to counterbalance the extreme Amare hate around here, and point out that perhaps Amare is actually underrated and not overrated.

stretch
04-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Exactly. I'm just trying to counterbalance the extreme Amare hate around here, and point out that perhaps Amare is actually underrated and not overrated.
no. he's overrated. its a fact.

FromWayDowntown
04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
If you take a different metric, say Hollinger's PER, Amare is well behind Lebron (though James, Paul, and Stoudemire all blow away the rest of the league in that measurement).

The problem with pure numbers metrics like the NBA's efficiency formula is that they don't take into consideration defensive prowess that isn't manifested in blocks or steals. Efficiency is a purely statistically-driven measure. PER is less so, but still heavily dependent upon numbers, some of which don't really say much about how "good" a player really is. To me, the metrics say a lot about the fact that a player puts up good numbers.

I would generally agree with the notion, though, that the efforts of the Amare haters to diminish his effectiveness are largely irrational. Amare is clearly an elite player in this league and he's undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with. Having Shaq as a sidekick makes that significantly more true.

tp2021
04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
:wakeup

MrChug
04-08-2008, 09:25 PM
No.

Well...shit, you asked a question-didn't you dumbass?