PDA

View Full Version : Best years for Gervin and the Admiral?

Dizzle
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Im in a fantasy league someone is doing through whatifsports.com... and I drafted Gervin and D-Rob..

what do yall think are their best overall individual seasons? I know Gervin put up 30ppg one season, but was that his best overall season?

Also, does anyone know how Gervin's Defense was? average, above average, liability?

Thanks. :fro

Doctor J
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Although Gervin only averaged 27ppg, I think his best season was 1980-81 season when he led his team to 52 win season. Similarly, he scored 27 ppg in the 1977~78 season. But he also averaged 5rpg and 4apg and led the Spurs to 52 win season. Also, 1978~79 season was fantastic. He beat David Thompson for the scoring title on the last day of the regular season. His team won 48 games and pushed Washington Bullets to the 7th game in the Eastern Conference Final.

As for the Admiral, statistically 1993~94 season is the best overall for him by far. He won the scoring title scoring 71 points on the last day to beat Shaq. He also averaged 4.8 apg that season. But 1991~92 season also was fantastic when he was ranked in top 10 of the five different statistical categories - Points, Rebounds, Blocked Shots, Steals and Field Goal %. He averaged 4.5 bpg that season. He was scary defensively.

Dizzle
04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
i noticed 94-95 was his MVP season.. you dont think that was his best year?

Doctor J
04-07-2008, 10:51 PM
i noticed 94-95 was his MVP season.. you dont think that was his best year?

Although he didn't win the MVP award in 1993~94 season, I think he in that season was better than he was in his MVP season a year later. Sounds funny. But the Admiral in 1993~94 was that good.

Dizzle
04-07-2008, 10:54 PM
yea. i cant understand how he wasnt even 1st team all nba with 30/11/5. thanks for your insight.

101A
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
yea. i cant understand how he wasnt even 1st team all nba with 30/11/5. thanks for your insight.Look at Hakeem's line that year; very similar.

urunobili
04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral 2003.. retiring the way he did? leaving the legacy he did? ain't get no better than that...

Brutalis
04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Robinson from rookie till his injury after 6 games into 96 season was the last of his peak. Injuries got the best of his body from then on despite the mindset and talent still being there.

David statistically had his best year in 94-95 but it was the season prior he was MVP as well. Or should have been hands down. Top 5 in those stats... unreal. NBA was still pulling one out every year for MJ giving him whatever just cause even by this point.

Not to turn this into MJ discussion but he was overrated and America's sweetheart and the American public is and always is dumb enough to eat it up. MJ was great, not as great as we made him out to be. You come back from retiring 3 times and still get a carpet to walk on was ridiculous. Dave was the MVP that year rightfully.

MrChug
04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Although he didn't win the MVP award in 1993~94 season, I think he in that season was better than he was in his MVP season a year later. Sounds funny. But the Admiral in 1993~94 was that good.

I COMPLETELY AGREE...Robinson simply had the numbers and the team performance (although Barkley and Olajuwon deserved it almost as much) to warrant the votes. As much of a homer as I am, I was in awe with what Olajuwon was doing that year. I really thought it was his award, but was VERY happy David won it. Robinson was very, very good that year, but Hakeem was playing at such a high level, guess where it led him? To the NBA Championship after smashing us into pieces.

whottt
04-08-2008, 06:07 PM
The NBA used to have an award based on computerized stat analysis that was given each year to the player who did the most to help his team win..

I believe the last winner of that award was Tim Duncan in 2003.

IMO, in addition to actually doing a great job of measuring who did help their team win...

It was one hell of a good indicator of Fantasy Sports excellence as well...

Previous winners of that award were Magic Johnson, Larry Bird Charles Barkley for instance.

David Robinson won it more times than anyone...5 times during his first 7 years in the NBA.

Where David Robinson differed from Hakeem inspite of similar block, rebounding, and PPG numbers...

Drob got the FT line way more than Hakeem did...

Hakeem played 18 years, including about 15 of them at Superstar level, Drob only played 14 years( in part due to spending 6 years in the Navy) and only played about 8 seasons at Superstar level...

Yet Drob got to the line substantially more in his career than Hakeem did...

Drob also lead the NBA in FTA multiple times, Hakeem never did...Drob also lead the NBA in slam dunks multiple times...Hakeem never did.

That's what I'm saying about David Robinson all along...he's not the same, he could not be guarded one on one...mofos would get dunked on all day and all night.

You had to foul him..

And that's why in the post season, he saw a lot of double teams. Because it was easier to hide the fouls when you had multiple bodies on him.

Case in point that series against Hakeem where everyone says Drob got his butt kicked...

For a guy that got his butt kicked because he was soft...he sure did get to the FT line a lot...

16 times per game in fact...so either Hakeem was being given 8 fouls per game minimum...or DRob had multiple defenders.

whottt
04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
In answer to your question...any of the seasons between 90-91 and 93-94 would be extremely nice...

93-94 is fantastic...

But 91-92 is sweet as well...

Try these numbers on for size

23ppg
12rbg
551 FG%

4.5 Blocks Per Game!
2.3 Steals Per Game!

If you are playing fantasy baksetball...those blocks and steals are insane...

He also lead the NBA in FTA(on 70%FT%) and Slam Dunks...

The 2.5 assists per game from that season are not his best mark...but pretty damn good for a center.

MrChug
04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
The NBA used to have an award based on computerized stat analysis that was given each year to the player who did the most to help his team win..

...and now that "responsibility" has been SOLD to the highest bidder (Lenovo). I loved that equation, it really made sense. Now it's simply goofy, but if the numbers crunch, they'll justify it.

barbacoataco
04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
That guy who said Jordan was overrated must not have seem him play before he retired the first time in 1993.

DRobinson was at his best 1993-1996.

dav4463
04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Gervin was "above average" on defense. In fact that is his exact rating on an old boardgame I have called Mickey's FastBreak Pro Basketball.

He could block some shots, decent at stealing the ball, and a good defensive rebounder, but none of the team's of that era were what you consider great defensively.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Statistically for George I'd say it was 81-82:

Year GMS GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OR DR TR APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
81-82 79 79 35.7 .500 .278 .864 1.7 3.2 5.0 2.4 1.0 0.6 2.66 2.70 32.3

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
He only took 36 three point attempts so that % is not really all that important.