PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Limiting Duncan's workload a priority (My SA)

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040808.Spurs-0408.en.36a72bf.html

Spurs: Limiting Duncan's workload a priority

Web Posted: 04/07/2008 11:27 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

One of the best lines never uttered about pro basketball has been verified as apocryphal by someone who should know.

Bill Sharman, who coached the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers to 69 victories, recently denied the existence of a quote attributed to Wilt Chamberlain about the relative importance of the game-day shootaround.

It was Sharman who introduced the shootaround during that amazing season, which produced a 33-game win streak and an NBA title and made instant copycats of every other NBA coach.

Chamberlain was Sharman's star center. As the story goes, the legendary late-night carouser was less than thrilled about having to get up, mid-morning, for a practice. Soon, a story began circulating that Chamberlain's response to Sharman's morning practices was to send the team trainer to the coach with a message: "I'll show up at the arena once today. He can have me for the shootaround or the game. His choice."

Sharman recently said he has heard the story hundreds of times over the years but that it isn't true. Chamberlain, he insisted, agreed to the morning practices as long as the Lakers won consistently.

Somehow, though, the verity of the "practice or game" quote retains near-universal acceptance.

Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remains duped.

As he explained his practice of limiting Tim Duncan's physical load on off days, Popovich leaned on The Wilt Ultimatum.

"He has to be rested," Popovich said. "You can't beat him up in practice. That wouldn't be very smart. Like Wilt said: 'Do you want me in the game, or do you want me in practice?'

"The game is the right answer."

Lightening Duncan's off-day workload has been beneficial this season. Quietly, he is having his best season since he was voted Most Valuable Player in 2003. No longer battling plantar fasciitis in both feet, he has been quicker and more explosive than his past two seasons. He continues to be one of the league's best rebounders and shot blockers. The Spurs' offense continues to run through him most of the time, even when Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker share the court with him.

"He's playing with the same energy," Popovich said, "and his body looks quicker, and more explosive, probably like it was three or four years ago."

With only five games left in the regular season and a top four finish in the Western Conference standings looking more secure, Duncan acknowledged some self-satisfaction at how his season has gone.

Mostly, he likes how healthy he feels as the playoffs approach.

"This season's been good for me," he said. "With the exception of that one injury, which I had early in the season, it's really been pretty good."

An ankle sprain kept him out of four games in early December, but he has had no lingering effects. In fact, sitting out nearly two weeks then may have him slightly fresher now.

Duncan's health is one reason Popovich has watched with equanimity the ups and downs of the Spurs' position in the Western Conference standings over the past five weeks. Since early March, they have occupied first, second, third, fifth and sixth places.

Popovich has maintained for weeks that playoff positioning has been secondary to crisp execution and, more importantly, good health.

"I feel great," he said after the Spurs defeated Portland on Sunday despite producing their second-lowest point total of the season less than 48 hours after producing the lowest point total in franchise history. "We may win (the championship). We may not. And life will go on, either way. But we'll give it our best shot, and so are the other seven teams that are going to be in the playoffs, and all of them are just as good as we are.

"I don't think there's anybody that has anything over anybody else. I honestly don't. It's just going to be who can play the best over a seven-game series, and usually, the best team wins. Almost always, the best team will win a seven-game series, and that will tell the tale."

duncan228
04-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the article Amuseddaysleeper.

This is one of the few pieces I've read that says Duncan had plantar fasciitis in both feet. They usually say it was just one. That was a tough season, he did prettty well playing through it.

I love how Duncan looks this season. I think he's paced himself well. He's going to explode in the Playoffs. He's ready, physically and mentally. A healthy, rested, motivated Duncan is trouble for the rest of the league. :smokin

SKINNYPIMP210
04-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Good article. Nice post.

I wonder if the Spurs are taking some notes out of the Robert Horry guide to the Regular Season and PLAYOFFS book. Well at least I hope they are, cause I just don't see the desire that I've seen in their eyes before you know? These playoffs are going to be crazy and if we win it all.......then it would just confirm in my mind that these players/coaches/front office/fans have something special together you know. I've been stationed throughout the U.S. and overseas and haven't been home for it all so I'm totally envious of you all. But seeing the Spurs win just washes away all of that. Go Spurs Go!!!

101A
04-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I toured a house owned by Bill Sharman 2 years ago that was on the market; didn't know whose it was, but there was a letter framed on the wall by Red Auerbach [Sic] to "Bill", which I made note of....then when I saw the Magic jersey framed and signed on the wall in the basement; I had to ask who owned the house.

House didn't work for us; but almost made an offer because it was, after all, owned by one of the 50 greatest...

ancestron
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Duncan > practice

I mean we're talkin about practice, man. We ain't even talkin bout the game.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
:lol ^^

Brutalis
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
It's an even year remember? :lol

Galileo
04-08-2008, 01:42 PM
This is a good article. Thank you for posting.

DAF86
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
AI knows best!

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE

remingtonbo2001
04-08-2008, 02:46 PM
AI knows best!

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE

That never gets old.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
"We may win (the championship). We may not. And life will go on, either way. But we'll give it our best shot, and so are the other seven teams that are going to be in the playoffs, and all of them are just as good as we are.

"Thanks for the cred."

Sincerely,

The Eastern Conference

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
For some reason, I wasn't too crazy about that TD quote.

Galileo
04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
"Quietly, he is having his best season since he was voted Most Valuable Player in 2003."

Is this true?

word
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Resting time is over. They need to maintain at least 2nd in the west. I think they can take NO without HCA and most others but Utah and LA may be another story. I do NOT want to play those teams on the road.

duncan228
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM

I think it's a politically correct quote. Duncan always gives credit to other teams. He played up the Cavs even as they swept them.

The quote that mattered to me was "I feel great."

duncan228
04-08-2008, 04:13 PM
"Quietly, he is having his best season since he was voted Most Valuable Player in 2003."

Is this true?

I think it's close. His numbers don't look the same but he's been efficient. And he looks strong. Ready.

T Park
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Its called being realistic.

YOu give it your best shot, if you win great you don't, the sun rises tommarow.

I'd much rather have a superstar that isn't obsessed with the sport, than one who would live like a hobbit if he lost.

Spurs2120
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm pretty sure that's Pop's quote.

td4mvp21
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I liked TD's comments. I'm glad he's not a cocky bastard that likes to build himself and the team up. If anything, it shows he's in touch with reality and not living in some Spurs fantasy. Duncan knows what's up and what it takes to repeat.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
That was a great quote by TD :tu

xcoriate
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't like the quote either, I want it to eat him inside at the thought of loosing this year.

Realism has no place in sports.

timvp
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Pop's quote.Exactly. McDonald did a bad job clarifying but that was a pure Pop quote. He's used that BS quote ever since the .4 series against the Lakers.

Personally, I think it's a ploy to get the shooters on the team to relax. The Spurs rely on three-point shooting so Pop tries to lower the pressure in an effort to make sure the shooters don't choke.

Popovich has maintained for weeks that playoff positioning has been secondary to crisp execution and, more importantly, good health.

"I feel great," he said after the Spurs defeated Portland on Sunday despite producing their second-lowest point total of the season less than 48 hours after producing the lowest point total in franchise history. "We may win (the championship). We may not. And life will go on, either way. But we'll give it our best shot, and so are the other seven teams that are going to be in the playoffs, and all of them are just as good as we are.

"I don't think there's anybody that has anything over anybody else. I honestly don't. It's just going to be who can play the best over a seven-game series, and usually, the best team wins. Almost always, the best team will win a seven-game series, and that will tell the tale."

"This season's been good for me," he said. "With the exception of that one injury, which I had early in the season, it's really been pretty good."

duncan228
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
McDonald did a bad job clarifying but that was a pure Pop quote. He's used that BS quote ever since the .4 series against the Lakers.

Do you mean Monroe? McDonald would have made sense too, his writing sucks.

Thanks for clearing it up, it is confusing. I thought it was Pop at first but the "I feel great" threw me. Glad Pop feels good. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
thanks a ton for clarifying that up timvp :tu

xcoriate
04-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Whoops my bad then... Pop can say whatever he is the master motivator.

Can't believe I misread that twice hahah