PDA

View Full Version : Has Udoka measured up?

byrontx
04-08-2008, 03:41 AM
He is rock-solid and tough but, at times, still seems confused out there? What do you think? Here's what they think in Portland:

Leaving Blazers behind, Udoka takes to playoff trail
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
JOE FREEMAN
The Oregonian Staff
You can hear it in Brandon Roy's words. You can feel it in the tone of Nate McMillan's speech. And you can see it in the Trail Blazers' play during every frustrating defeat:
This team sure could use Ime Udoka.
"Me and Coach were just sitting and talking about Ime," Blazers guard Roy said after a loss to San Antonio on Sunday. "We wish we had him this year. We feel like he would have been the difference in four or five games that we lost, just because of his decision-making, the big plays he makes and his defense. Ime did a lot for us."
And now, after an up-and-down season in which he had to earn the trust of a new coach and blend into an established, veteran locker room, Udoka is "doing a lot" for one of the NBA's elite franchises. In a microcosm of his rags-to-riches path to the NBA, Udoka has tirelessly transformed himself from a bit player into a key component of a San Antonio team that appears poised for another deep playoff run.
"We don't really talk about the regular season, everything here is geared toward the playoffs," Udoka said. "Wins and losses don't matter; it's all about getting momentum going into the playoffs. Even though I haven't experienced it before, when I signed with this team, I knew that's what we were going to be doing: chasing for championships every year."
Early on, it appeared Udoka would be doing his chasing from the end of the Spurs bench. When he became a free agent last summer, Udoka had hoped to re-sign with Portland so he could be a part of the franchise's resurgence and remain in the city where he was born and raised.
But when the Blazers traded for James Jones, signed Steve Blake and re-signed Travis Outlaw, Udoka, who started 75 games last season, became the odd man out. A two-year deal with San Antonio materialized and Udoka was being touted as the next Bruce Bowen, a lockdown defender and strong outside shooter who made himself into an NBA starter with the Spurs after paying dues in foreign leagues and the NBA Development League.
The schedule-makers added some spice to Udoka's move to San Antonio, pitting the Spurs against the Blazers during a season-opening matchup on TNT. But Udoka never got off the bench, a common early-season theme as he fought to earn the confidence of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.
After the first month of the season, Udoka had played more than nine minutes in a game only twice.
"Pop likes to get guys in there slowly," Udoka said. "We've had some injuries, I've had some opportunities and I played well, so . . . I'm in the mix now and I'm happy with what I'm doing and I'm just focused on playing well in the playoffs."
Injuries to Tony Parker and, most notably, Manu Ginobili, created an opportunity for Udoka and -- just as he did last season as a non-roster invitee to the Blazers' training camp -- Udoka took advantage. Displaying his tenacious, in-your-face defense and strong long-range shooting, Udoka has developed into a versatile stopper off the bench.
Udoka, who is averaging 5.6 points and 3.0 rebounds in 17.5 minutes per game this season, is averaging 23.4 minutes and 11.9 points in the past 19 games as San Antonio has streaked toward the top of the Western Conference standings.
"He's real pro," Popovich said. "I call him a utility infielder. He does a little bit of everything. On offense, he moves the ball, he shoots pretty well. On defense, he's a tough kid, he tries to rebound, he's a good team player. He's been really important to us off the bench this year."
And he's been a missing ingredient for the Blazers.
"Our best defender, our best wing defender . . . some toughness," McMillan said, outlining what the Blazers lost when they let Udoka walk. "He brought some toughness to our lineup, some savvy. He's really smart as far as knowing how to play the game and knowing how to play off our guys. Last year . . . he would come up with big offensive boards, or big defensive boards or knock down a shot while having the assignment of having to guard the best (guard or small forward) on the floor."
If McMillan's description sounds a lot like Bowen, one of the NBA's most respected defenders, it should. Comparisons between Bowen and Udoka have been widespread since it became apparent the Spurs were interested in Udoka last summer. One thought is that Udoka could assume Bowen's role and starting small forward position if Bowen, 36, stops playing when his contract expires after next season.
For the first time in his career, the player who overcame doubts by playing overseas and in the NBDL feels settled and at home in San Antonio, and in the NBA. He bought his first house last fall -- in San Antonio -- and plans to split time between there and Portland in the offseason.
"I signed a two-year deal, so I'm here for the next two years unless something happens," Udoka said. "It's a great fit for me, I feel. San Antonio is known for keeping guys in their system. We run a complex offense . . . and it can be hard to get a grasp of it. I'd love to finish my career here."
Notes:
Blazers starting forward Martell Webster underwent tests concerning his irregular heartbeat on Monday and will undergo more testing today, making him unavailable for the Blazers game against the Los Angeles Lakers tonight. . . . Forward Josh McRoberts was recalled from the Idaho Stampede of the NBDL and practiced with the Blazers on Monday. McMillan could insert McRoberts into the Blazers' rotation for the final five games to replace the injured Joel Przybilla. . . . Channing Frye likely will start at center tonight for Przybilla.
Joe Freeman: 503-294-5183; [email protected] To read his Behind the Beat blog, go to http://blog.oregonlive.com/ behindblazersbeat/

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1207623350232020.xml&coll=7

sabar
04-08-2008, 03:47 AM
He's actually done quite a bit better than I ever hoped for. He has learned the system rather quickly. Only thing I don't like is his streakiness, but it seems this year that every Spur not named Duncan has played streaky.

gmanrulz
04-08-2008, 03:55 AM
gonna be even better next year

Dalamar_the_Dark
04-08-2008, 03:56 AM
For the first season, I was certainly pleasantly surprised by his production. Thought that he would be given a year to learn the system and struggle. Barry struggled, Oberto struggled, Finley struggled, and a lot of other failed.

I think its cause he has been bumped around a few teams and leagues and his tough as nails attitude has done well for him. When players went down. He knew he had to take his chance and throughout his career, he has been used to waiting for those chances and grabbing them.

xcoriate
04-08-2008, 04:12 AM
He's done well. I'm soooo glad for his rebounding, Bowen is well below mediocre in that area and he is already the best option for the team as a small ball 4.

Demo Dick Marcinko
04-08-2008, 06:25 AM
He's exceeded all my expectations. I knew he would be good, but not this good in all areas. I think he will be even better next year.

manufor3
04-08-2008, 07:22 AM
For the first season, I was certainly pleasantly surprised by his production. Thought that he would be given a year to learn the system and struggle. Barry struggled, Oberto struggled, Finley struggled, and a lot of other failed.

I think its cause he has been bumped around a few teams and leagues and his tough as nails attitude has done well for him. When players went down. He knew he had to take his chance and throughout his career, he has been used to waiting for those chances and grabbing them.
ya im surprised

ATRAIN
04-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Udoka has been a pleasant suprise and I am excited to see what he can do come playoff time. There are times however I wish he would shoot instead of pass but thats just me.

SAGambler
04-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I would say he has measured up and then some. I love the way he fights for rebounds and is an in your face defender. And like Bruce, if you get 10 or so points a contest on the Offensive end, that is just a plus.

SpurAddict561
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
He MOST DEFINITELY has.

nkdlunch
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Best Spurs signing since Manu Ginobili

boutons_
04-08-2008, 09:19 AM
He's contributed very rapidly, great. His defense and occasional rebounding are very welcome. A few baskets here and there, too.

At 30, he's not going to improve his fundamentals significantly (shooting %age, defense), but what he has now is quite serviceable. Bruce is very rare in improving himself, defense, quite late in his career.

As said above, next year Ime should improve his team skills as his Spurs "corporate knowledge" matures.

Spurs certainly could have done a lot worse than Ime.

Manu's Bald Spot
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Solid signing, I knew he would come thru for us at some point, didn't realize it would be this year. Helps us with rebounding and is able to take on the bigger guards/forwards (carmelo, paul pierece, bonzi wells, artest, etc), which was defintely a weakness of ours. He's a solid 4 in the small ball lineup, even if he is a little short.

He's gotten better at this, but whenever he dribbles to drive the lane (which he really shouldn't do that much, he's much better at spot-up shooting), he was like a bull; he's going to the paint with full force and knocking whoever is in his way, which would either lead to charges or turnovers. Maybe it's just me who thinks that. Tough kid though, love the attitude, I think he'll be here in SA for awhile

2centsworth
04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
For a million bucks he's a steal, but he still has a ways to go. However, I've been very impressed by his strength and ability to guard large players. If he will eliminate the lazy passes I would be totally satisfied.

Brutalis
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
He's actually done quite a bit better than I ever hoped for. He has learned the system rather quickly. Only thing I don't like is his streakiness, but it seems this year that every Spur not named Duncan has played streaky.
Urm, TD was streaky too..

Brutalis
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
For a million bucks he's a steal, but he still has a ways to go. However, I've been very impressed by his strength and ability to guard large players. If he will eliminate the lazy passes I would be totally satisfied.
Yeah that's my thoughts as well. He falls into this comfort patch I'll call it too often is his only problem. Which in turn creates turnovers and bad shots.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Solid signing, I knew he would come thru for us at some point, didn't realize it would be this year. Helps us with rebounding and is able to take on the bigger guards/forwards (carmelo, paul pierece, bonzi wells, artest, etc), which was defintely a weakness of ours. He's a solid 4 in the small ball lineup, even if he is a little short.

He's gotten better at this, but whenever he dribbles to drive the lane (which he really shouldn't do that much, he's much better at spot-up shooting), he was like a bull; he's going to the paint with full force and knocking whoever is in his way, which would either lead to charges or turnovers. Maybe it's just me who thinks that. Tough kid though, love the attitude, I think he'll be here in SA for awhile
:tu :tu :tu

to21
04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
^ Yeah all of that.......plus the guy is tough.

I noticed no one messes with him.

SPARKY
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
He's a solid fit. For the money he's about as good of a small ball 4 as the Spurs are going to be able to find. "Utility infielder" is an apt description. He can play the 2, 3, & 4 spots. He's a little streaky with his shooting but he's willing to do the little things that win games. And he's the exact opposite of Purseboy mentally.

spursrocksocks
04-08-2008, 10:47 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/rjr84/ime.jpg

Scola Trade
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Blazers want Udoka back? It's going to cost Outlaw :smokin

Demo Dick Marcinko
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Blazers want Udoka back? It's going to cost Outlaw :smokin

We'll take Travis Outlaw if they're giving him away, but they can't have Ime back.

T Park
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
He will never be Bruce Bowen.

He will be Ime Udoka, and in the future, that will be pretty good IMO.

If he wanted to, and works at it, he could be better than Bowen.

duncan228
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I like him a lot. It took a little while but he grew on me.
He brings energy, he's scrappy, he knows his role. I love how tough he is.
He caught on quicker than I thought he would, he seems to be a perfect fit for the team. I think he's going to be great in the Playoffs.

Manu's Bald Spot
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
He could definitley be better than Bruce, at least Ime can guard bigger guards and forwards, Bruce is much more effective at guarding perimeter-oriented guards who penetrate and shoot (Ray Allen, Tmac, steve nash, etc), but he gets exposed big time against bigger guys - i.e. Bonzi Wells in 2006 playoffs. God Bonzi detroyed us, Manu and Bowen were helpless

StoneBuddha
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Ime doesn't seem to have Bowen's feet speed. I think the have different sweet spots in terms of their ability to guard people. Bowen can guard Nash but has problems with people like Bonzi Wells. Ime does a much better job with big physical wing players but may have problem with the quicker players.

tp2021
04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
i sure hope he plays better next year
*cough* elson *cough*

diego
04-08-2008, 01:51 PM
udoka is never going to be the defender bowen is.

that said, he can still be a good versatile player for us with great strength at the wing, which is something we lack.

Borosai
04-08-2008, 02:49 PM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6462/stimevsdirkqq2.gif

spursrocksocks
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Lmfao

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6462/stimevsdirkqq2.gif

:lol Classic!

SenorSpur
04-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Has he measured up? Most definitely. I can't say I was surprised about his defense and rebounding. I am both surprised and pleased that he's cracked a spot in the rotation - amd it looks like he's there to stay. I'm confident that his arrow is pointing upward and he will only continue to get better. A solid signing by the Spurs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
He's fitted in very well. Great small ball PF, his rebounding never disappoints, not a bad shooter (hopefully consistency will improve), very good one-on-one defender, although better defending bigger or slower guys than small quick ones.

My only concern is his occasional rashes of TOs (usually on bad passes) and brain explosions. However, everything else he brings to the table far outweighs those minor concerns, and it's nice to have an enforcer around too just in case some muscle need to be laid.

BIG z
04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I just dont like it when pump fakes, even when hes wide open, but he has done a pretty good job on the defense, he will be better next year once he feels out the spurs system...