View Full Version : Suns-Spurs Preview

duncan228
04-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Bring it.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/nbapromo.gif

http://www.nba.com/games/20080409/PHXSAS/preview.html

Suns-Spurs Preview
By MIKE LIPKA, STATS Writer

Both the Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs can now rest easy knowing they'll be returning to the upcoming Western Conference playoffs.

With plenty to play for in the final few regular season games, however, neither team can truly rest.

The Spurs will be chasing the West's top seed while the Suns jockey for home-court advantage in the first round when the teams meet in San Antonio Wednesday, with Phoenix seeking its first season-series victory in five years.

San Antonio has won nine of its last 10 games, and seems unwilling to ease up entering the season's final week. The Spurs (53-24) are just one game behind New Orleans for first place in the West, but just 1 1/2 games ahead of the Suns (52-26), who are in sixth.

"In past seasons with five games to go, you knew you could be first, second, third or even fourth, and that's it. This year it could be seventh, so it puts pressure on everybody," San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili said. "We can't slow down, we have to keep playing."

The Spurs, who've won five straight and 12 of 13 at home, rebounded from a dismal offensive effort with a 72-65 win at Portland on Sunday. In its previous game, San Antonio had lost 90-64 to Utah, meaning its two lowest point totals of the season came in the last two games.

But the team's signature defense seems to be tightening just as the playoffs approach. The Spurs have held their last 11 opponents under 100 points, with those teams averaging just 86.1 points and shooting 40.7 percent from the field.

The Suns again feature an uptempo style, even since the acquisition of center Shaquille O'Neal.

O'Neal was scratched Tuesday due to a hip contusion, but Amare Stoudemire had 28 points and 11 rebounds to lead seven scorers in double figures as Phoenix won 127-113 at Memphis to clinch a playoff berth.

"We wanted to win it from the inside, and, without Shaq, we were undermanned in the interior," Stoudemire said. "I just tried to attack in many ways. Just try to keep them off-balance a little bit."

The Suns had lost two of three before Tuesday's win, but they've still won 12 of their last 16 - averaging 114.5 points over that span - as O'Neal has grown more comfortable. The center, who is expected to return for Wednesday's game, is averaging 12.6 points and 10.6 rebounds in 24 games since coming to Phoenix in a trade from Miami.

The hot streak has left Phoenix just 2 1/2 games from the top of the West, tied with Utah a half-game behind Houston for the last home-court spot in the first round.

"We are working against the conference standings right now," Stoudemire said after the win over the Grizzlies. "We are still improving as a team, and this was a good game for us. It was also an important game."

Since taking three of four against San Antonio during the 2002-03 season, Phoenix had won just three of its last 14 games against the Spurs entering 2007-08.

But the Suns have won two of the first three in the series this season, including a 100-95 win at San Antonio in December and a 94-87 win exactly one month ago.

duncan228
04-09-2008, 12:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=playoffpush-080409

Playoff Push: Another pivotal West showdown
By Andrew Ayres
ESPN.com

When the San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns meet Wednesday in Texas (9:30 ET, ESPN), the game will feature two teams with a contentious past. Their future, meanwhile, figures to be equally hard fought.

Their last meeting was something of a turning point for Phoenix. With the beloved Muhammed Ali in the house, Suns center Shaquille O'Neal famously launched himself into the stands after a loose ball. Shaq did not float like a butterfly, but he flung like a tree.

The Big Cactus scored 14 points and grabbed 16 rebounds to help the Suns beat the Spurs, 94-87. The Suns had lost four of five heading into that game. Since Shaq's flight, Phoenix has gone 12-4.

If the Suns (52-26) snare a road win, it could prod San Antonio (53-24) toward the No. 3 seed. And if the Suns hold their current No. 6 slot, then it could create a very interesting first-round matchup with the Spurs. The Suns might not like the Horry-bull ending their season took in the playoffs last year.

Of course, trying to handicap the West pairings, even at this late date, looks mostly like an exercise in futility.

The Suns can wrap up the tiebreaker with the Spurs by virtue of a win, currently holding a 2-1 season-series lead. Should the standings shake up even more, that could be significant development in the ongoing homecourt advantage playoff subplot.

The Spurs, mired in a slump in mid-March, have emerged from their malaise to win 9 of their last 10 games, the only blemish a 26-point loss in Salt Lake City last Friday. But a win here would be huge, bolstering their hopes for a customary No. 1 seed.

Killakobe81
04-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Spurs should win.
I bet if the Suns win they will talk about how "that is why we brought SHAQ in" to matchup with the Spurs if they lose ...they will say It doesnt matter because it's not the playoffs ...this game means more tothe Suns but they will NOT admit it ...
I say Spurs win 95-90

m33p0
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
<sound of rolling thunder on the horizon>

ancestron
04-09-2008, 08:48 AM
:hungry:

cheguevara
04-09-2008, 08:52 AM
playoff game tonight nice!

Argiebabe
04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
GO SPURS!

:ihit Bring them down!!!!

duncan228
04-09-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080409.html

Probable Starters:

Parker
Guard
18.4 PPG
Finley
Guard
9.9 PPG
Bowen
Forward
6.1 PPG
Duncan
Forward
19.5 PPG
Oberto
Center
4.6 PPG

Injury/Inactive Report
Robert Horry (left knee contusion) and Brent Barry are out

Spur in the Spotlight
Manu Ginobili
In past seasons with five games to go, you knew you could be first, second, third or even fourth, and that's it. This year it could be seventh, so it puts pressure on everybody," San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili said. "We can't slow down, we have to keep playing.

Did You Know...
Phoenix General Manager Steve Kerr averaged 3.7 points in 206 games for San Antonio and was a member of the 1999 and 2003 championship teams … Suns head coach Mike D’Antoni played for the Spurs during the 1976-77 season and served as a scout during the 1999-2000 season … Phoenix assistant coach Alvin Gentry was an assistant for the Spurs from 1988-90 … the Suns defeated the Spurs 137-91 in Phoenix on 4/15/89 … the 46-point loss is the worst in Spurs franchise history … Suns forward/center Sean Marks spent three seasons with San Antonio and averaged 3.3 points and 2.1 rebounds in 48 games … Spurs guard Michael Finley was originally drafted by the Suns with the 21st pick in the 1995 NBA Draft … he averaged 15.0 points per game before being traded to the Mavericks in the 1996-97 season …Suns guard Leandro Barbosa was originally drafted by the Spurs in the first round of the 2003 NBA Draft … Steve Nash, Raja Bell and Michael Finley were teammates with the Mavericks during the 2002-03 season … Suns guard Boris Diaw and Spurs guard Tony Parker are both from France … former Spur great George Gervin was originally drafted by the Suns in the 1974 NBA Draft.

duncan228
04-09-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/04/09/20080409sunsnotes0409.html

Suns peek ahead to Spurs
The Arizona Republic

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Suns were playing some peek-a-boo in their meandering path to victory Tuesday night.

From sitting out Shaquille O'Neal with a right hip bruise as a precaution to the game's slow start and defenseless finish, Phoenix might have been peeking toward tonight's 6:30 p.m. game at San Antonio.

With a win tonight, the Suns (52-26) would have the regular-season series tiebreaker against the Spurs and be a half-game back with one more loss than San Antonio (53-24).

"If we can run the table, we could jump up a few spots," said Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, whose team remained in sixth in the West. "It is important. We want to measure ourselves and all that."

The Suns hold a 2-1 edge this season against the Spurs, who have been off since Sunday.

"It's a big game for us for obvious reasons - playoff seeding that we're fighting for a bit and trying to improve on things we want to get good at and continuing to build our chemistry and make that strong push into the playoffs," guard Raja Bell said.

The Suns players are starting to warm up to the idea of playing for home-court advantage in at least the first round, too. After downplaying it Monday, Steve Nash and other Suns talked of pursuing it Tuesday.

"The next two games are important, because I imagine after these we'll pretty much know where we are," Nash said.

O'Neal sits out

O'Neal could have played Tuesday. He was willing to play. But the staff wanted him fresh and healthy for tonight against San Antonio and Tim Duncan.

O'Neal sat out Tuesday's game because of a hip bruise he took in the first two minutes of Sunday's Dallas game, when he fouled Jason Terry but took a Terry knee into his hip. He played that game in pain and sat out Monday's practice.

"I offered to take some drugs and play, and Mike (D'Antoni) said no," O'Neal said. "I'd take a shot in a minute to be out there with my boys. I'll be back tomorrow for Mr. Duncan."

In O'Neal's first Suns-Spurs game, he had 14 points and 16 rebounds, and Duncan went 6 for 19 from the field.

"(They) took him out to save his legs for tomorrow night against Tim Duncan," Memphis coach Marc Iavaroni said. "He's a heck of a weapon. He certainly gives them a lot more rebounding, shot-blocking and space-eating. He's also a great passer. He adds a dimension that gives them an opportunity to go deep in the playoffs."

Rookie Alando Tucker, called up from the NBA Development League on Monday, suited up Tuesday, and Boris Diaw started in O'Neal's place.

Nash hurting

Nash is hurting, too. He sat out Tuesday's shootaround because of back spasms triggered by a rib that rolls out of place, he said. The injury originated from a hit he took last week against Denver. He said he tweaked it during Monday's practice and felt tight Tuesday.

"It was pretty tough, but I was good enough to get through the game," Nash said after a 16-point effort. "I felt like we needed to win this game.

"I've got to play tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be like this in the playoffs. If we can't take care of it before then, which I feel confident that we can, then I'll worry about it."

hater
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Nash is hurting, too. He sat out Tuesday's shootaround because of back spasms triggered by a rib that rolls out of place, he said.

I hope Bowen knows which rib :hat

PHXSpursFan
04-09-2008, 10:50 AM

HELL YA! I wouldn't mind Nash's career ending tonight, I hate that little nerd.

hater
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
damn, I don't wish anyone's career to end. But if Bowen can pester that rib a little, I don't mind

PHXSpursFan
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
You don't live in PHX, dude is a scumbag.

O-Factor
04-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Does Shaq and D'Antoni think he can rest Shaq everynow and then when playoffs come around? Just pick and roll the hell out of Shaq's old ass.

dbreiden83080
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Big game, Spurs need to bring their A game, and for god's sake bring their offense.

sa_butta
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Big game, Spurs need to bring their A game, and for god's sake bring their DEFENSE.
Id rather hold em to a low scoring game, I think the shots will fall. If Shaq is in tonight Parker will have to be on point with the passes.

ancestron
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Nash is a scumbag? He always puts on the boy scout image for the cameras every time Ive seen him. Please enlighten me if you would PHXSpurfan about Nash's scumbagginess.

PHXSpursFan
04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
He cheated on his wife with Nelly Furtado. Wasn't exactly a secret.

Killakobe81
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
wow? Really?! see they would never point that out on main media because they LOVE steve Nash ...though Kobe's, Shaq's infidelity is always thrown around ...interesting.

DarrinS
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Who's Nelly Faturdo?

mavsfan1000
04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I expect the Spurs to win. At least hoping. Would be a great first round matchup between Mavs and Spurs.

PHXSpursFan
04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
They brushed Kevin Johnson's incident aside, down here, too. He had sex with a 17 year old for like a year.

BlackSwordsMan
04-09-2008, 12:22 PM
lol

lurker
04-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Because someone mentioning you in a song means you had sex with them. :lol

Did you know he also slept with Cam'ron? He gets around.

PHXSpursFan
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Steve Nash is a fairy so that wouldn't surprise me.

Killakobe81
04-09-2008, 12:41 PM
KJ and a 17 year old? H/e is running for mayor in SACtown do they KNOW about this?! LOL

Killakobe81
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Well she (nelly) is a "Promiscuous girl" ...should we be surprised! Nash just wanted to see what kind of game she has ..

happy
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
sick dah! nelly furtado is fuckin gross

duncan228
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
This Suns fan is up at night stressed about the Spurs.
He put some time into it, go to the link and click on his links that are tied to each thing he hates.
Damn, Suns fans sure don't like the Spurs. I wonder why. :smokin

http://azsportshub.com/2008/04/09/not-sleeping-hating-the-spurs/

Not Sleeping, Hating the Spurs
04/9/08 12:23 AM

Oh how I despise the San Antonio Spurs. Let me count the ways:

-Bruce Bowen's right foot
-Bruce Bowen's left foot
-Bruce Bowen's right knee
-Tony Parker's music career
-Tony Parker's head/beard/face
-Tim Duncan's matching head/beard/face
-this smug look from Popovich...and that he's somehow uglier without the flat-top
-I'm Manu Ginobli...and I'm not injured in the least bit.
-I'm Manu Ginobli...and I'm a big sissy
-Robert Horry, old, fat, and pathetic
-FOUR fucking titles

Honestly, I could go on all night. There's so much to hate. SO.MUCH.HATE. If the Suns can't pull off a victory tomorrow night, expect the hate to flow freely, the reins to be loosened and the shackles to be removed. For now:

-go F yourselves, San Antonio (it's all we have)

duncan228
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/TheWireStory.asp?id=11501

Shaq, Duncan square off when Suns visit Spurs
Phoenix (52-26) at San Antonio (53-24) 9:30 pm EDT

SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- The Phoenix Suns acquired Shaquille O'Neal in the hope - among other things - that he would be able to limit Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs. :smokin

O'Neal looks to accomplish that mission for a second time Wednesday when the Suns visit the Spurs.

The showdown could have major postseason ramifications, as the Spurs trail the first-place New Orleans Hornets (54-23) by only one game in the Western Conference standings.

Phoenix is sixth but is just 2 1/2 games behind the Hornets. Both the Spurs and Suns already have clinched postseason berths.

The 36-year-old O'Neal, who was acquired from the Miami Heat earlier this season, scored 14 points and grabbed 16 rebounds to lead Phoenix to a 94-87 victory over San Antonio the last time the teams met on March 9.

Duncan scored 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds but made just 6-of-19 shots from the field while battling against O'Neal's swarming defense.

"A lot of teams have size in the West, and we added size, let alone a guy with championship experience," former MVP Steve Nash said following the victory.

"That is kind of why we (made the trade for O'Neal)," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "It is different."

Amare Stoudemire collected 28 points, 11 rebounds and five assists Tuesday to lead the Suns to a 127-113 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies.

After having their eight-game winning streak snapped during a 26-point loss to the Utah Jazz on Friday, the Spurs responded with a 72-65 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Sunday.

Budkin
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
The Spurs are playing for the top seed so they will play all out. I see us winning this one.

PHXSpursFan
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Easy win. Put it away in the 3rd QTR and rest up. Suns don't scare a High school team.

boutons_
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Six WC teams with between 23 and 26 L.

Does Pop care about any specfic seed?

Spurs can't be totally indifferent to HCA, esp when they have been weak on the road this season.

duncan228
04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040908.01E.Spurs.en.3898f77.html

NBA: Spurs brace for Shaq and well-oiled Suns
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

You can call Spurs forward Kurt Thomas clairvoyant. You can call him simply a good guesser. Either way, he says he saw this coming.
Whereas many around the NBA saw the Feb. 6 trade that brought Shaquille O'Neal to Phoenix as something of a national joke, Thomas saw it for what it still might be.

A joke in which the punchline is on the rest of the Western Conference.

"When I saw that deal happen, I knew it was a good deal," said Thomas, who spent his previous two seasons in Phoenix. "You have to give Steve Kerr a lot of credit."

The sentiment in Arizona was much different the day Kerr, the Suns general manager, pulled the trigger on the blockbuster that brought the Diesel to the desert. Phoenix went 3-6 in the first nine games of the O'Neal era, and at the time, Suns fans were willing to give Kerr nothing but a bus ticket out of town.

Tonight, the Suns pull into the AT&T Center with 300-plus pounds of O'Neal in tow, as hot as any team in the wild, wild West. They have won 12 of their past 16 games and are playing like a team that ought to be a tough out come playoff time.

O'Neal, a former league MVP, is pulling his considerable weight. Steve Nash is playing, well, like Steve Nash. And, with O'Neal drawing attention in the low block, Amare Stoudemire is having a field month.

In short, the Suns are playing as few outside the Phoenix front office envisioned when Kerr exchanged Shawn Marion for an aging and, some believed, broken down O'Neal back in February. The missing ingredient, it turns out, was time.

"When you add people to your team, things don't become smooth and rhythmic right off the bat," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It takes time."

The last time the Spurs faced the Suns — March 9 in Phoenix — Project Shaq was still in its experimental stages. The Suns' offense, once a well-oiled thing of beauty, still seemed out of whack.

The Spurs, however, did feel O'Neal's formidable presence on defense. He helped harass Tim Duncan into a 6-for-19 shooting day, as the Suns won 94-87 to kick-start what would become a seven-game winning streak.

It is a new, new-look Suns squad that struts into San Antonio tonight, in what could be considered a playoff tune-up for both teams.

"They've done a great job," Popovich said. "They know what they're doing, and they're playing very well. Everything is working."

It's too early to deem the O'Neal experiment a success — how deep the Suns forge into the playoffs will offer the ultimate thumbs up or down. But it's safe to say the deal hasn't been a complete bust, either.

O'Neal is averaging 12.6 points and 10.6 rebounds in 25 games with Phoenix. He sat out the Suns' 127-113 victory at Memphis on Tuesday but is expected to be available tonight.

Mere numbers can't quantify the effect O'Neal has had on Stoudemire.

Stoudemire never seemed quite comfortable as a center. O'Neal's arrival has allowed him to slide to his natural position of power forward, where he has thrived.

A 6-foot-10 gazelle with seemingly limitless scoring ability, Stoudemire has topped 30 points 13 times since O'Neal joined the Suns.

And contrary to popular prediction, O'Neal hasn't exactly transformed the Suns' famed "seven seconds or less" running game into a walk-a-thon. Phoenix still enjoys a good run, albeit sometimes with fewer sprinters than before O'Neal came to town.

"I'm really impressed with how they've meshed the Big Fella," Spurs guard Jacque Vaughn said, referring of course to O'Neal.

"Everybody was very critical when they first got together, but that's a part of jelling and putting a new product out there."

Not among those early critics was a not-so-doubting Thomas, who knew the Suns' inner workings intimately.

"If you can add a guy 7-1, 300 pounds with four championship rings, you do it," Thomas said. "He's definitely made them better."

MoSpur
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Its going to be good. Don't be fooled by PHX. They are good. Shaq will do what he was brought in to do. He will let Manu and Parker know they can't just drive in at will. If the Spurs hit their outside shots and master the pick and roll, it should be a win for the Spurs.

NASHville
04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
The Suns need to send a message to themselves that they can beat the Spurs and have the confidence they need going into the playoffs. There is no better time than now to send that message loud and clear. Can you hear them now?

hater
04-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm gonna be drunk tonight!!!!!

Xylus
04-09-2008, 02:50 PM
That Dallas loss was extremely demoralizing. I don't expect the Suns to win tonight, especially on the Spurs' home court.

NASHville
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
That Dallas loss was extremely demoralizing. I don't expect the Suns to win tonight, especially on the Spurs' home court.

More the reason for them to win and get back on track and get mentally prepared for what lies ahead. Now is not the time to dwell on a loss.

Mark in Austin
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
In terms of toughest outs for the Spurs in the playoffs, right now I'd put them in this order:

1. Boston
2. PHX
3. LA/NO/Detroit
4. Utah/Dallas

If PHX is healthy, they're going to be better than a lot of people think.

vanvannen
04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Manu and Tony must be ready to attack the rim recklessly. It could be important if they could get Shak in foul trouble. (Amare will do that himself)

Allanon
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh how I despise the San Antonio Spurs. Let me count the ways:

-Bruce Bowen's right foot
-Bruce Bowen's left foot
-Bruce Bowen's right knee
-Tony Parker's music career
-Tony Parker's head/beard/face
-Tim Duncan's matching head/beard/face
-this smug look from Popovich...and that he's somehow uglier without the flat-top
-I'm Manu Ginobli...and I'm not injured in the least bit.
-I'm Manu Ginobli...and I'm a big sissy
-Robert Horry, old, fat, and pathetic
-FOUR fucking titles

That's a damn good list, lots of good points except for Manu and Horry ones.

I've been looking forward to watching this game.

The Big Cactus versus the Big Fundamental. French Skirtchaser versus French Rap Star, Argentinian Mojo versus Brazilian Blur. Damn, I sound like Bill Walton.

I think the Suns play the Spurs EXTREMELY well and they need the game more than the Spurs do for their own fragile psyche.

boutons_
04-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Shaq is mediocre.

PHX has lost their mojo, in losing Joe Johnson and esp. Marion.

And Nash can't bring it back

Although the Spurs offense has sputtered badly a few times recently.

SpursFan0728
04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
where the hell is Barry?
is he playing tonight?

Jack Sommersset
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
This is going to be a great game tonight. Both teams want it bad. Playoff intense basketball durning regular season. Can't wait. A message certainly can be sent. What aslo is great is that its on national TV.I am picking Suns and Lakers in Western conference finals(if thats possible) so I am predicting a Suns victory. The Spurs should be able to score more than 70 points in this game, break a miny scoring slump but a Suns victory.

duncan228
04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
where the hell is Barry?
is he playing tonight?

Barry is still out. He's not playing tonight. From what I've read it's not known if or when he'll be able to play.

Allanon
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Anybody know if Barry is even close to playing yet? Only thing I've heard so far is maybe late in the Playoffs.

Jack Sommersset
04-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Barry can't be that important, THEY TRADED HIM! Even with the idea he was to come back. THEY TRADED HIM. There was a chance some team could have sweet talked him into playing for them because ,THEY TRADED HIM!

ludda
04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Revenge game

td4mvp21
04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Spurs will bring their "A" game. They are going to want some revenge for the last game vs. the Suns and they will want to continue to get the best seed possible in the West. Let's just hope that it's enough to get a win. The Suns will be a bitch to beat.