PDA

View Full Version : Local Dancers To Perform At Spurs Game

duncan228
04-09-2008, 12:43 AM
http://seguingazette.com/story.lasso?ewcd=46f0d45c017cb9a7

Local dancers to perform at Spurs game

By Jessica Sanders
The Gazette-Enterprise

SEGUIN — By day, Lisa Capell is a mild mannered substitute teacher at Seguin High School.

But when the last bell rings, she’s working on her moves as a member of the Sterling Silver Dancers.

“The kids wanted me to show them some of my moves today and I only did a few things but the kids were going crazy,” she said with a giggle. “I got a standing ovation in business computers.”

Capell is among 20 local women to join the more mature version of the Spurs Silver Dancers cheer group. The group includes local professionals, grandmothers — and even a Spurs usher — who are polishing their moves for a debut during the first break at Friday’s Spurs game.

Irma Lewis, the group’s organizer and a rabid Spurs fan, said she long dreamed of dancing on the court and regularly stirs up the fans in Section 110.

A You-Tube video even features Lewis, with silver pom-poms, dancing along with the Silver Dancers at a game.

She approached Silver Dancers choreographer Raquel Garcia at a recent game and learned that a grown-up dance team might be just what the crowds were looking for.

“Ms. Garcia said this kind of dance team was becoming very popular in the NBA and asked if I could get a group together,” Lewis said. “There are 32 teams in the NBA and only three teams have done this, so we’ll really be on the cutting edge.”

Lisa Capell, said Lewis has long been entertaining packed stands.

“All of Section 110 cheers for Irma, she’s got pom-poms that she brings out when the team isn’t doing well and everyone yells ‘Dance Irma, dance,’” Capell said. “She gets a standing ovation and she was on the Jumbotron eight times in one game.”

Now Lewis no longer needs to borrow the Silver Dancer’s moves — her team now has their own steps choreographed by Garcia and set to a mix of pop, hip-hop and oldies tunes.

Susana Hendricks said she has a background in dance, but has found the choreography more challenging than she anticipated.

“In my heart, I’m dancing like I did in college, but physically I’m not what I used to be,” she said with a laugh. “But this has been so much fun, I think it brings back a lot of memories for all of us.”

Nancy Seidenberger agreed, adding that she never dreamed she would perform for thousands at an NBA basketball game.

“This is definitely something new,” she said. “I mean, I did like pom-pom line stuff in high school, but it’s been awhile.”

Pam Colvin said she has gotten comfortable with the routine, but got a little nervous during a recent dress rehearsal at the AT&T Center.

“I thought it would all be fine, but when we got to the AT&T Center to practice the other night, and I could feel my stomach do flip-flops,” she said.

Hendricks agreed that she was getting a few butterflies as well.

“Where we’re supposed to be on the floor, I’ll be right in front of where Tim Duncan is going to be,” she said. “What if I see Tim Duncan and I forget what I’m supposed to be doing?” :lol

Despite the hard work, nervous jitters and a few aches and pains, however, the Sterling Silver Dancers are looking forward to Friday night. Gladys Huffman pointed out that stealing the show has been a secret item on the to-do lists of plenty of women, even those who thought their pom-pom waving days were behind them.

“I guess you could say it’s on our bucket list,” she said.

Quasar
04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Heh, nice one! However, grand mothers dancing in very short shorts and performing somersaults doesn't sound like something I'd like to watch.

BonnerDynasty
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
This is just what the Spurs need. Granny dancers.

Bravo San Antonio. Bravo.

Demo Dick Marcinko
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
No ages were mentioned. One can be a grandmother at 35, think about it. Might be a bunch of MILFs and definitely worth watching.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
This would have been great if they were from Wild Zebra or XTC or something like that...

Allanon
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
No ages were mentioned. One can be a grandmother at 35, think about it. Might be a bunch of MILFs and definitely worth watching.

Shudder on "sterling" dancers but it could be a bunch of mom's in their 30s :D

MILF is good. Too bad there ain't any pictures...anybody know of any?