PDA

View Full Version : Kori: Do you know what's wrong with Duncan?

TwoHandJam
01-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm asking you because I know you usually have very good inside info but anyone else with something to chare can shed some light on this.

Duncan has just not been himself for quite some time now, even before he seemed to injure his hip. He seems to have an odd gait and he's lost a lot of the explosiveness he had at the beginning of the season. He can't beat players off the dribble (that he normally does) and seems to struggle when jumping.

Too many subpar games have gone by from him now to continue to sweep this under the rug. I think he's playing hurt but no one seems to talk about it.

Anyone know what's going on with him? :wtf

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-15-2005, 11:52 PM
prolly just fatigue kicking in

TwoHandJam
01-15-2005, 11:59 PM
It doesn't look like fatigue to me, it looks like he's hurt. He doesn't elevate very well (remember the missed uncontested dunk a few games back) and he seems very reluctant to drive inside, settling for a lot of jumpers lately. I also notice that he's a step slow on defense as well. Right now, he's nowhere near the form I remember he was in at the start of the season.

Sense
01-16-2005, 12:35 AM
prolly just fatigue kicking in

Fatigue?

That better not even be an EXCUSE....

Tim Duncan is getting the best rest of his career..... so fatigue shouldn't be it.

adidas11
01-16-2005, 02:33 AM
Could any of this be attributed to playing in the Olympics back in August?

manustarting2gd
01-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Ding, Ding ,Ding...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-16-2005, 03:09 AM
Fatigue?

That better not even be an EXCUSE....

Tim Duncan is getting the best rest of his career..... so fatigue shouldn't be it.

BEST REST OF HIS CAREER IS DUE TO PLAYING 2 FULL YEARS IN A ROW

GoSpurs21
01-16-2005, 03:15 AM
stop making excuses for Duncan. If he's tired than he needs to be man enough to admit it instead of these sleep walking performances he's giving the team. I dont know if anyone else has noticed it but him sitting out a few games would be better than the crap he's been putting in the last couple of weeks.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-16-2005, 03:56 AM
a few games... try a few months, just something tim will have to battle through, there will be stretches where he doesnt look great, and i dont care, as long as he brings it when it counts

Kori Ellis
01-16-2005, 03:58 AM
I don't know anything specific.

He was sick for a few weeks, and then he seems to be laboring a lot more ever since banging his hip. But I don't know. Seems like he's just in some kind of funk.

TwoHandJam
01-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't know anything specific.

He was sick for a few weeks, and then he seems to be laboring a lot more ever since banging his hip. But I don't know. Seems like he's just in some kind of funk.
Sick for weeks? It must have been something serious to be sick for weeks. I've never seen him in a funk that's lasted this long. I think he has some sort of lower body injury that no one seems to be talking about.

exstatic
01-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Sick for weeks? It must have been something serious to be sick for weeks.
They said it was some sort of unspecified cold symptoms, but it was probably the flu. That can last for weeks until you feel normal again.

Dex
01-16-2005, 12:54 PM
They said it was some sort of unspecified cold symptoms, but it was probably the flu. That can last for weeks until you feel normal again.

Especially if you are going out and playing NBA basketball every other night.

td4mvp21
01-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Yeah before he got sick he was putting up good numbers. He was averaging about 24 ppg and 13 rpg i think. But then Parker had a good month and he didnt need to score and then he got sick. the flu and even colds can last a long time especially since he plays games every other night or so. they can really make you tired and not feel yourself. he will get better. it just takes time.

S4Spur21
01-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I dunno, is 28 old for bball?

adidas11
01-16-2005, 05:49 PM
No, 28 is the beginning of your prime. Shaq's best season statistically was when he was 28 years old (1999-2000)

S4Spur21
01-16-2005, 05:50 PM
No, 28 is the beginning of your prime. Shaq's best season statistically was when he was 28 years old (1999-2000)
Well wuts up with td

xcoriate
01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
For duncans position prolly around 28-32 will be his best years

TDfan2007
01-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Tim Just sems to be in a funk. He is waiting for the doubles to come in order to get his teammates involved.

There is one lot of problems with this strategy.

: Tim posts up and he gets doubled, so he passes out of the double and watches one of his teammates put up a brick.

This is what should happen.

: Tim catches the ball and drives immediately to the basket either drawing the foul or scoring.

boutons
01-16-2005, 08:03 PM
"Tim catches the ball and drives immediately"

every defense has this goal: "Make Duncan put the ball on the floor...."

if the defense can clog up the low down, then Tim has to set up further out (Malone almost had him the first row of seats last May), which reduces him to jump shooter, or he puts the ball on the floor, to lose it, or be fouled before shooting.

pjjrfan
01-16-2005, 10:26 PM
His got "el mal del ojo" send him a curandera. That should get him squared away right quick. Just kidding. but hey, it wouldn't hurt.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2005, 10:39 PM
lol

21, 10 and 2 in the last five.

No, we aren't spoiled at all.

Useruser666
01-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Ya think?

san antonio spurs
01-17-2005, 12:07 AM
leave the man alone for pete's sake

he might sit out rather than bringing the crap he brought lately????? WTF are thinking, Tim has been scoring,rebounding and blocking, he hasn't been his usual self of course,but to call his stats crap is just insane,what are smoking???even without beeing his usual MVP status,tim brings the double and triple teams that allowed tony and manu to drive, with tim sitting out who might be bringing that room fro tony and manu to operate?????

he's just in a funk,he's embarrased,he'll come out strong,just be patient,and stop saying all the crap u've been saying lately.
________
E Cigarette Weed Vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/)

samikeyp
01-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Didn't he tweak his hip a few games ago?

Sense
01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
BEST REST OF HIS CAREER IS DUE TO PLAYING 2 FULL YEARS IN A ROW

Yes, but not really.... He missed a couple of games in 1 year.

So no, not in a row, yes..for a couple of years.

Tim should still watch his minutes, and experiment with them aswell...see if his game steps up.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 09:06 AM
I do not think anything is wrong with him.

He does not have to be the be all ened all any longer...he finally has a lot of other guys that can carry the team when they have to.

So they lost a back to back game on the road to a surging Houston team, so what......look at the record.....nuff said.

boutons
01-17-2005, 09:32 AM
"not have to be the be all ened all any longer"

Pop hasn't got that message. Even when he's doing badly all game, Tim's ALWAYS the goto man in crunch minutes, 2bl teams, 3bl teams, sagging defense, fronting, whatever, EVERYbody waste seconds and possessions trying to throw it to Tim, then stand around while Tim gets beat to shit. It's really, really stupid, losing basketball, over and over and over.

"surging Houston team"

Come on, Rockets are nowhere near the Spurs ... when Spurs play their average game. HOU loss was another giveway to an inferior team by a non-hustling Spurs:

1. getting beat -11 on RBs (Spurs avg +4) and

2. shooting 12%age pts under their avg (35% vs 47%).

3. defense collapsing and giving up 25 4th qtr points

4. Spurs missing 10 FTs

If the only Spurs (defense) would just show up at Toyota Center, and only in the 4th quarter (the way the defense had played for 1st and 3rd qtrs), forget about the cold shooting and the crappy rebounding, then the Spurs win by playing their strongest hand.

Pop is often talking about "being tested", and nobody can be sure of what these Spurs have until they are tested. The Spurs blowouts, +12 PPG, don't test anything. The giveaway losses are tests that the Spurs are failing, those difficult situations where they have to find a way to win, even when they are their own worst enemy.

4-3 in January is NOT Spurs basketball, ... or is it??

Solid D
01-17-2005, 10:12 AM
4-3 in January is NOT Spurs basketball, ... or is it??

Well, it depends on the strength of schedule but last January the Spurs went 9-7

boutons
01-17-2005, 10:21 AM
"last January the Spurs went 9-7"

... because the Spurs sucked in Januaary, not because of the schedule (losing to lottery PHI was a schedule difficulty?). Maybe January just isn't the Spurs month.

Oh, well, I guess we'll blow off all these Jan road games against 3 top teams, schedule diffiulties. Anyway, they'll be "just one loss" 3 more times:

Jan
17 Washington

19 L.A. Clippers

21 @ Phoenix

23 @ Sacramento
24 @ Portland

27 Sacramento

29 New Orleans

31 @ Seattle (starts the comparatively easy rodeo road trip)

CosmicCowboy
01-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Instead of the subjective "Duncan is sucking" lets put this in the objective context of Tims 2003-2004 per game numbers...which include him dominating the games after the all-star break compared to his current 2004-2005 numbers...you can rebut by saying that he was injured in the early part of the 2004-2005 season but these numbers are not included in the game averages and he didn't come back till he was 100%....

minutes played: down 1.6 minutes per game this year (down 4.4%)

points scored per game: down only .4 per game (-)

blocks per game: .2 more per game (+)

assists per game: down .6 per game (-)

rebounds per game: down only .8 per game (-)

turnover per game: down .5 per game (+)

free throw percentage: up by 5% (+)

in this case, is perception really reality?...I am not going to take the time to run Tims numbers to this point of the 2003-2004 season but suspect that it would make his 2004-2005 performance to date look even better...

all in all there doesn't appear to be anything to worry about...

Ballcox
01-17-2005, 02:09 PM
I think he's fine, a little off lately but no serious problems. I think he's also adjusting to some of the new players we have, and playing less minutes since Pop is trying out different rotations. After the all-star break, the rotations will be more set and TD will begin his drive towards the playoffs, this guy knows when to the set the tone for this team and that tends to be second half of the season as they put themselves in position for the post-season.

BigVee
01-17-2005, 02:24 PM
I think he is just tired, as is Manu. The Spurs have played a very tough first half schedule. Anyone who plays BB knows that playing defense is a lot more exhausting than playing offense. So minutes to TD and Manu are not the same as Dirk minutes or TMac minutes...and all the other guys who rest on defense. Watch Manu play defense closely and watch how TD runs the floor (defensively) compared to other big men. And back to backs to the Spurs are not the same as other teams. He may not regain top form until after the AS break when the team has some decent time off. If TD's play is our biggest concern this year, the Spurs are in good shape.

S4Spur21
01-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Another reason why Duncan's numbers are down is because Manu, and Tonys are up. Timmy doesnt care about stats, hes not rebounding crazy like KG, but when playoffs come, whose going to be the big man who takes his team all the way?

td4mvp21
01-17-2005, 07:04 PM
also we really should be thankful even though he is in a slump. look at minnesota for example. they are 19-17 and garnett is having a very good season. I bet theyre saying "man i wish we had a good record like sa even if garnett goes in a slump." even though he is in a slump, which he i think he will get out of soon, we shouldnt complain.

pjjrfan
01-17-2005, 10:31 PM
In today's game he started out with a lot of energy as he and Rasho just dominated the Wizards but by the 2nd qtr, he looked tired and slow, he made moves to get himself open and then just stayed there, instead of getting to the basket, something he has done with regularity before this past two months. I don't think he is injured, he just looked tired out there. I know I've had flu like symptons for up to 2 months in the past sometimes that bug is just hard to shake, still maybe he needs to rest and get some medication for whatever is draining him right now. But there is a difference in his play from even last month.

TwoHandJam
01-17-2005, 10:39 PM
In today's game he started out with a lot of energy as he and Rasho just dominated the Wizards but by the 2nd qtr, he looked tired and slow, he made moves to get himself open and then just stayed there, instead of getting to the basket, something he has done with regularity before this past two months. I don't think he is injured, he just looked tired out there. I know I've had flu like symptons for up to 2 months in the past sometimes that bug is just hard to shake, still maybe he needs to rest and get some medication for whatever is draining him right now. But there is a difference in his play from even last month.
That's true, I do see that pattern of fatigue with him lately. You might be right about the flu thing persisting, especially when you have to recover during a grueling NBA schedule. I hope that's all it is.

T Park
01-17-2005, 10:41 PM
uh, the Olympics maybe had something to do with the fatigue maybe?!?!?!?!

boutons
01-17-2005, 10:59 PM
He said at the beginning of the season that he felt really rested, same as Manu, and they both started incredibly well.

Duncan's forcing his game, esp tonight, rather than "letting the game come to him". When they're really pressuring him, he's trying to create a shot, very un-finessing it, that ain't there. His 9th year in the NBA, he still has some stuff to learn.

We didn't need Duncan tonight, so no big deal. But we're going to need him to get his shit a lot more together than it is now.

Frenchise player
01-18-2005, 04:55 AM
I think it must be about the Olympics. In Europe, this thing happens often with football players. They play in the world cup or in the euro cup and then during the season they fell tired and begin to play with less energy. I think it is the real reason because Manu too seems to be tired as he got injured for the second time in few weeks (first time he missed Portland's game).
If it is the case, the way POP is coaching them is really great as they can rest and they can keep energy for the last 3 month of competition.
Meanwhile Spurs are 31-9 with Tony Parker playing like an All-Star since December.
I wonder what would have happen if tp was in the Olympics too.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2005, 04:58 AM
You might be right about the flu thing persisting, especially when you have to recover during a grueling NBA schedule. I hope that's all it is.

The flu makes you sluggish, fatigued, unfocused, no stamina, etc.

Devin tonight mentioned that he (Devin) has had the flu for the last three weeks. So it might just be something going around the team. Lucky for the Spurs, they are deep enough that they can withstand a few of their players being "out of it" with the flu for a few weeks.

usckk
01-18-2005, 05:09 AM
I had the flu a few times, and it really tires you out. I play competitive tennis, and when I got the flu, my stamina was never the same for a couple of months.

LilMissSPURfect
01-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Playing time is down And even though POP thinks Tim BENEFITS from it. I think playing him more will get him in that "groove" .........sometimes he gets yanked outta the first quarter with 5 min left.....

I'd say play him more!! Let him get HIS GROOVE BACK. :elephant

GrandeDavid
01-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Tim is just illin along as its a long season. Tim will start playing by late February... if need be. If the team is still rolling as it is, however, and hopefully, then I'm sure he'll show some swift asskicking moments in the playoffs when play typically slows down somewhat.