PDA

View Full Version : Report: UCLA’s Love, Collison to declare for NBA draft

ducks
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Report: UCLA’s Love, Collison to declare for NBA draft

Return to Original Buzz Up PrintLOS ANGELES (AP)—UCLA All-American Kevin Love and teammate Darren Collison will make themselves available for the NBA draft, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday night.

The newspaper, quoting unidentified sources close to the players, reported they are expected to hire agents, which would mean they could not return to play for the Bruins next season.

However, Collison denied the report through a UCLA spokesman, saying he hadn’t yet talked with his parents about his future plans.

UCLA coach Ben Howland has a news conference scheduled for Wednesday.

Love, a freshman center, led the Bruins in scoring (17.5 points) and rebounds (10.6). Collison, a junior point guard, was a third-team All-American who averaged 15.2 points and 3.9 assists this season.

The Bruins lost in the national semifinals to Memphis on Saturday.

The Times also reported the Bruins are expected to lose sophomore guard Russell Westbrook to the June draft. The deadline for underclassmen to declare is April 27.

sribb43
04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Can't blame Love for going...but Collison will do nothing in the NBA

JamStone
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah Collison kind of got exposed against Derrick Rose, especially considering Collison is considered a defensive stopper at the point guard position. Now, there aren't that many PGs in the league that have Rose's combination of size, strength, and elite athleticism, but there are enough that he'll see them much more often than he has in college. Plus, he also really struggled against Tyrone Brazelton of Western Kentucky, and Brazelton doesn't have the size that Rose has. Could be another Speedy Claxton.

Kevin Love is a beast at the college level. And, he's more athletic than he's generally given credit for. But, still not anywhere close to being elite athletically for the NBA. It will be interesting to see how it translates at the next level. He definitely has the skills and basketball IQ to make up for it. But, just don't know if it's enough to make him a consistently good starter. I think he'll have to find the right fit with an NBA team. I don't think he can fit on just any team.

Warlord23
04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Kevin Love will be a better rebounding version of Brad Miller. Collison maybe in the Mighty Mouse ballpark with slightly better defense

MrChug
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I think Collison might be Jacque Vaughn if he tries.

I think Love's attitude about his weight after the loss was a good sign. He, if he DOES something about it might be solid.

monosylab1k
04-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Love needs to lose 15-20 pounds if he wants NBA teams to take him seriously. But I think he can be a solid contributor on a good team.

RonMexico
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I swear I've seen Darren Collison before... oh yeah, when his name was Tyus Edney.

He won't be playing A&M every game in the NBA, so his ability to hit BS layups will decrease greatly.