PDA

View Full Version : Pop benches Duncan for super small ball

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Amare and Shaq on the bench, Boris Diaw (!) in to guard Tim, and we take Tim out. :lmao Phoenix promptly goes on 9-0 run.

Small ball has officially gone too far.

Herschel Walker
04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Not that big of a deal. The team on the court needs to get back on D and show life.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it's not that big a deal. It's not like we could have finished them off with Tim on the low block, took him out, Parker fucks up five possessions in a row, Phoenix goes on a 9-0 run and takes the lead.

You realize if we lose tonight, end up tied with Phoenix, that they would have the 3-1 regular season tie breaker and have home court should we meet in the post-season, right?

ShoogarBear
04-09-2008, 10:37 PM
That was the WTF move of the night.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Fuck small ball.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
On a b2b, the Suns still beat the Spurs

I'll be amazed if we push them past 5 games in a playoff series at this rate.

TDMVPDPOY
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
we were up by 9 when tim was bench with 3mins left in the 3rd still to play

lame, at least close it out damn it

adidas11
Aggie isn't a fan of small ball, in case no one here has noticed.

Spurologist
Spurs get a sizeable lead in the first. Benches tp and lets the suns come back. Fucking pathetic.

manu should have bought a ticket tonight

exstatic
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
manu should have bought a ticket tonight
The major factor in the game tonight. Manu looks like Barbosa from last year's series. Barbosa looks like Manu from last year's series.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM

This is looking more like the season we got to watch the Lakers kick our ass while being treated to old man Terry Porter fall down 30 feet away from the basket with the game on the line.

The Spurs front office fucked up this past off-season when they said they liked their team and were going to rely on their AARP role players this year.

It's awesome watching us burn another year of Duncan's prime because our front office went retirement home on us last summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
we were up by 9 when tim was bench with 3mins left in the 3rd still to play

lame, at least close it out damn it

Tim should have never been on the bench in that situation. This is Phoenix we're playing, they can erase a 9 point lead in no time.

That was the time to go for the jugular, but Pop got caught up in his stupid matchup game.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, should we get pummeled in the playoffs, maybe this will get the FO to pull their head out of their ass and actually clean house outside the big three.

The ball movement is just completely non existent.

I just don't understand how the team could lay a goose egg this late in the season on their own home floor.

Just wow.

Solid D
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
This 2nd half has been more about the Suns playing very good D, taking the Spurs out of their rhythm and the Spurs' inability to shoot well over the zone.

Taking Duncan out didn't help but that isn't the story here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, should we get pummeled in the playoffs, maybe this will get the FO to pull their head out of their ass and actually clean house outside the big three.

The ball movement so just completely non existent.

I just don't understand how the team could lay a goose egg this late in the season on their own home floor.

Just wow.

We had 9-10 point leads twice in this game, and both times Pop took out the player who had single handedly built those leads (Parker in the first, Duncan in the third).

Somehow he managed to find a way to get outcoached by D'Antoni.

Oh, seven points in the fourth :tu Good job, Pop. All these fuckign AARP scrub role players definitely look ready to compliment Tim in the post-season.

peskypesky
04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
This loss is on Pop and Manu. Pop for being an ass and limiting Tim's minutes. Manu for playing like dogshit.

Kurt Thomas was pretty sucko too.

Amuseddaysleeper
This 2nd half has been more about the Suns playing very good D, taking the Spurs out of their rhythm and the Spurs' inability to shoot well over the zone.

Solid D, just lay it on us

How far do you this year's team going?

Aggie Hoopsfan

Sorry, I disagree. We had all the momentum when Tim got both Shaq and then Amare into foul trouble. Phoenix was on the ropes, we subbed Tim out and put in Thomas and Finley at the 4 and 5, and Phoenix promptly attacked the rim and wiped out the entire lead in about 3 minutes.

It was the pivotal moment in the second half of this game, and Phoenix never looked back. Horrible strategic decision by Pop.

I can get him in the past going small to match up with the likes of Dallas, but his infatuation with small ball has gone too far when he benches Tim Duncan with a chance to finish off the Suns.

peskypesky
04-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Pop is also an idiot for not riding the hot hand. Finley couldn't miss tonight, but he got very few shots.

Fabbs
04-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Pop is an offensive moron. :bang

Getting worked by D Antoni. :downspin:

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2008, 11:02 PM
71.6 PPG for the Spurs in their last three games. I'm sure TPark will be along shortly to ask me how many NBA championship teams I've coached...

ShoogarBear
04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I disagree. We had all the momentum when Tim got both Shaq and then Amare into foul trouble. Phoenix was on the ropes, we subbed Tim out and put in Thomas and Finley at the 4 and 5, and Phoenix promptly attacked the rim and wiped out the entire lead in about 3 minutes.

It was the pivotal moment in the second half of this game, and Phoenix never looked back. Horrible strategic decision by Pop.

I can get him in the past going small to match up with the likes of Dallas, but his infatuation with small ball has gone too far when he benches Tim Duncan with a chance to finish off the Suns.Got to agree with Aggie here. That was a chance to step on their throats and Pop screwed it.

johngateswhiteley
04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
why aren't Spurs fans making fun of the shaq trade anymore? i thought it was a bad trade for phoenix?

...hope you guys feel stupid. and while i still like the Spurs over phoenix, they are better with shaq.

Capt Bringdown
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
It's awesome watching us burn another year of Duncan's prime because our front office went retirement home on us last summer.
Complacency never wins titles.
Neither does making trades that help the competition and signing players that can't compete.

Way to piss away a great opportunity to repeat.
We're going to cherish our title years when it's all over and look back in agony at years like this.

ducks
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
71.6 PPG for the Spurs in their last three games. I'm sure TPark will be along shortly to ask me how many NBA championship teams I've coached...
what has manu averaged in that stretch

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Got to agree with Aggie here. That was a chance to step on their throats and Pop screwed it.
Up until the fourth, this was a winnable game. :bang

Crookshanks
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Message to Pop: SMALL. BALL. DOES. NOT. WORK. PERIOD!!

lefty
04-09-2008, 11:14 PM

:rolleyes

Solid D
Solid D, just lay it on us

How far do you this year's team going?

It depends on who the Spurs draw in each round. It also depends on their outside shooting. Their points differential this year has not been that of a championship squad. I'm not seeing a champion-like confidence yet with this year's Spurs. There is still time to come together and pull a "1969 Celtics" finish or a 1995 Houston "Heart of a Champion" flourish.

I like Boston in the East and pick-em in the West with Boston winning it all, if forced to choose right now.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
Good point. If Manu plays better the team benefits. I don't know what's up with him, but his disappearing act is a big reason for our offensive dip averaging 70. We've been missing his usual 15 + points.
I don't know what it is, if it's related to him hurting his ankle, or he's just being soft, but he was better off not playing the last three games and recovering.

He needs to be in top form for us to have a chance this year.

ShoogarBear
04-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Up until the fourth, this was a winnable game. :bangThey could have been up 12-15 going into the fourth, and D'Antoni would have tried to run-and-gun his way back into the game instead of going into Shaq. Pop's always had this thing about trying to match up to the other team instead of making them match up to him.

J_Paco
04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
It kills me to see Pop put Tony on the floor alone to create with the bench players, and that's basically when this team surrendered the game. They've gotta win-out the remainder of their games, or face the possiblity of not having home-court at all this post-season.

These blow-out losses, now 4 against quality opponents, sure don't help my confidence either.

polandprzem
04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
It depends on who the Spurs draw in each round. It also depends on their outside shooting. Their points differential this year has not been that of a championship squad. I'm not seeing a champion-like confidence yet with this year's Spurs. There is still time to come together and pull a "1969 Celtics" finish or a 1995 Houston "Heart of a Champion" flourish.

I like Boston in the East and pick-em in the West with Boston winning it all, if forced to choose right now.

I was thinking about those '69 Celtics for most of a year hoping the history can repeat, hoping...

Spurminator
04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
What was worse than taking Tim out at that point of the game was having the training staff also surgically remove Duncan's balls while he was out.

Solid D
04-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Got to agree with Aggie here. That was a chance to step on their throats and Pop screwed it.

As I said, taking Duncan out didn't help but the problems run deeper than that. The Spurs' 4th quarter scoring the past three games has been a paltry 9, 11, and 11.

milkyway21
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Small ball + JV

td4mvp21
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM
What was worse than taking Tim out at that point of the game was having the training staff also surgically remove Duncan's balls while he was out.
+ fucking 1

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-09-2008, 11:31 PM
That was the WTF move of the night.

No, it was the WTF move OF THE YEAR!!!!!

That and benching Manu at the same time AFTER HE HAD JUST HIT TWO STRAIGHT DRIVES.

WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWT FWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW TFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF????????????????????????????/

Amuseddaysleeper
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
They could have been up 12-15 going into the fourth, and D'Antoni would have tried to run-and-gun his way back into the game instead of going into Shaq. Pop's always had this thing about trying to match up to the other team instead of making them match up to him.

bingo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Sadly, I concur.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
They could have been up 12-15 going into the fourth, and D'Antoni would have tried to run-and-gun his way back into the game instead of going into Shaq. Pop's always had this thing about trying to match up to the other team instead of making them match up to him.

Exactly!

Was this Pop's worst coaching move of the year? Aside from continuing to juggle the rotation too long (which resulted in that 6/7 losing streak), I'd say yes.

milkyway21
04-09-2008, 11:37 PM
+ you just can't take Manu too long. He might not score early but Manu always make good plays in the end, he'll find ways, and you just don't know what he can do to win the game.

braeden0613
04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
This loss is on Pop....it reminds be of the pop of the 2000-2002 seasons where robinson or kerr would score 10 in a row then pop would take them out. Brilliant...I mean I if can see this from the stands....

spursfan09
04-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Pop has been doing alot of questionable moves. I don't know if its because hes holding back for the playoffs or not.

peskypesky
04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
CIA Pop. Wants to face Houston in the first round.

Warlord23
04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Pop needs to take some of the blame for the offensive ineptitude on display. The reason we managed to put up 45 in the first half is because Parker and Duncan were scoring on iso plays. There was no productive ball movement; some of the passing was really pointless. So D'Antoni goes to the zone taking away the iso threats of Tony and Tim. And then the lack of fluency in the offense begins to stick out like a sore thumb; people are standing around and playing hot potato with the rock.

That isn't the only sign of the insipid offense. When Boris Diaw fronts Duncan, no one on the perimeter has the confidence or skill to throw a lob over the defense. When Manu drives the lane, all the defense needs to do is surround him because the wild pass leading to a turnover is coming next.

Basically the offense has become predictable. And today the formula to beat the Spurs was nicely unraveled by one of the worst defensive coaches in the league. Play zone. Crowd the paint to stop Tony's drive. Put a bigger man on Tim or front him. Rotate from the weak side on the Ginobili drive and expect the horrible kick-out pass. When we saw the zone for the first time, it was obvious that we were unprepared and caught off-guard. And Pop had no adjustments in his bag of tricks to counter it.

J_Paco
04-09-2008, 11:41 PM
+ you just can't take Manu too long. He might not score early but Manu always make good plays in the end, he'll find ways, and you just don't know what he can do to win the game.

How long did Manu play in the fourth quarter? Seems like he was out there for only a 1 minute or 2.

milkyway21
04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
correct me if I'm wrong:

53-25 tie between the Spurs/Lakers/ Houston

53-26 Suns
52-26 Utah
one loss more we will be on the other side of the bracket-t road games in the playoffs

spursfan09
04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
How long did Manu play in the fourth quarter? Seems like he was out there for only a 1 minute or 2.

Because they were getting blown out.

braeden0613
04-09-2008, 11:43 PM
CIA pop is complete BS. Its basically a way that pop's fanboys can explain his retarded moves. A bad substitution is a bad substitution.

J_Paco
04-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Pop needs to take some of the blame for the offensive ineptitude on display. The reason we managed to put up 45 in the first half is because Parker and Duncan were scoring on iso plays. There was no productive ball movement; some of the passing was really pointless. So D'Antoni goes to the zone taking away the iso threats of Tony and Tim. And then the lack of fluency in the offense begins to stick out like a sore thumb; people are standing around and playing hot potato with the rock.

That isn't the only sign of the insipid offense. When Boris Diaw fronts Duncan, no one on the perimeter has the confidence or skill to throw a lob over the defense. When Manu drives the lane, all the defense needs to do is surround him because the wild pass leading to a turnover is coming next.

Basically the offense has become predictable. And today the formula to beat the Spurs was nicely unraveled by one of the worst defensive coaches in the league. Play zone. Crowd the paint to stop Tony's drive. Put a bigger man on Tim or front him. Rotate from the weak side on the Ginobili drive and expect the horrible kick-out pass. When we saw the zone for the first time, it was obvious that we were unprepared and caught off-guard. And Pop had no adjustments in his bag of tricks to counter it.

Wow, you really hit the nail on the head with that analysis!!!! Pop's coaching was all-around terrible tonight. Saying he's got confidence in Manu, but then barely playing him in that pathetic 4th quarter.

T Park
04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Duncan and Ginobili both played like absolute cunts.

milkyway21
04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm not a sore loser but I don't like it when Pop raises the white flag too early. that game vs NO back then ,then vs Utah, now Suns.

kind of unacceptable, you know. :bang

:lol

Lebowski Brickowski
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Hubie said it right -- they can't score against the zone.

Some people might say Cia Pop with the Duncan and Tony benchings because that's when the game was lost and Pop didn't seem to care enough to change things.

But if you've been watching the Spurs for a long while, you know that Pop's substitutions are oftentimes, ummm, unorthodox, to say the least. Taking out the hot hand is almost Pop's calling card.

J_Paco
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Because they were getting blown out.

Please, they had to be down less the 10, since Finley came in and hit a three that cut it to 6. Yet, Manu never saw the floor again.

I fucking hate it when Pop pulls that Phil Jackson crap, trying to let the players play through opponents runs and their own mistakes, if he hasn't noticed it rarely works.

J_Paco
04-09-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm not a sore loser but I don't like it when Pop raises the white flag too early. that game vs NO back then ,then vs Utah, now Suns.

kind of unacceptable, you know. :bang

I completely concur. That's gotta be the biggest pussy move this late in the season. Fuck, they dug themselves that huge a deficit so see if they've got the balls to get out of it. I know this team has won championships, but that makes them look weak-minded or like they give up easily.

Capt Bringdown
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
You can look at what the Spurs did or didn't do, but this game was truly about the Suns beating the Spurs.
The Suns moves made them very competitive against the Spurs. They looked like the better team out there tonight, and comparisons to last year are worthless.

T Park
04-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Please, they had to be down less the 10, since Finley came in and hit a three that cut it to 6. Yet, Manu never saw the floor again.

I fucking hate it when Pop pulls that Phil Jackson crap, trying to let the players play through opponents runs and their own mistakes, if he hasn't noticed it rarely works.

1 manu never saw the floor again because he was playing like a less talented more pussifed Rasho fucking Nesterovich.

2, they were down 17 with about 2 30 left in the game.

The fucking game was over.

spursfan09
04-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Remember when Finley scored 5 straight points? A 3, then a lay up? Then I think Phoenix called time out and Finley was on the bench when they started playing again?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2008, 12:24 AM

Manu has sucked during this stretch, but then again so has everyone on this team. Of course, tonight he hit two in a row during that run in the third, then Pop took him out (when he took Tim out), and no Tim combined with your boy Tony fucking up six straight trips killed us.

* Disclaimer: I didn't want to make this a Tony vs. Manu thing, but you being the Tony lover you are had to try and go there, way to threadcrap...

Manu needs to up his game, but I also think that's a pretty lofty task. Between Pop running him almost 40 minutes a game earlier this spring and the trendy thing for Pop to do of late with Manu has been to put him on the floor with shit lineups like tonight when at one point it was Manu, Finley, Thomas, Udoka, and Vaughn, I'm not sure we can expect much more than we're getting out of him right now.

And predictably, Phoenix's entire defense was keying on Manu, basically the closest defender to Manu was leaving his man and daring that guy to beat us (and it worked out well for Phoenix - it was either a brickfest from one of those four or a turnover by Manu).

Oh, and on top of the small ball fiasco, a big fuck you to Pop as well for sitting Tony the first six minutes of the second half after we had built that entire lead up, that was fun watching the backups with Vaughn playing point piss that entire lead away. Did Parker really need a fifteen minute (realtime counting timeouts and end of quarter) break? Kid's still young...

braeden0613
04-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Manu has sucked during this stretch, but then again so has everyone on this team. Of course, tonight he hit two in a row during that run in the third, then Pop took him out (when he took Tim out), and no Tim combined with your boy Tony fucking up six straight trips killed us.

* Disclaimer: I didn't want to make this a Tony vs. Manu thing, but you being the Tony lover you are had to try and go there, way to threadcrap...

Manu needs to up his game, but I also think that's a pretty lofty task. Between Pop running him almost 40 minutes a game earlier this spring and the trendy thing for Pop to do of late with Manu has been to put him on the floor with shit lineups like tonight when at one point it was Manu, Finley, Thomas, Udoka, and Vaughn, I'm not sure we can expect much more than we're getting out of him right now.

And predictably, Phoenix's entire defense was keying on Manu, basically the closest defender to Manu was leaving his man and daring that guy to beat us (and it worked out well for Phoenix - it was either a brickfest from one of those four or a turnover by Manu).

Oh, and on top of the small ball fiasco, a big fuck you to Pop as well for sitting Tony the first six minutes of the second half after we had built that entire lead up, that was fun watching the backups with Vaughn playing point piss that entire lead away. Did Parker really need a fifteen minute (realtime counting timeouts and end of quarter) break? Kid's still young...
+100

J_Paco
04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
1 manu never saw the floor again because he was playing like a less talented more pussifed Rasho fucking Nesterovich.

2, they were down 17 with about 2 30 left in the game.

The fucking game was over.

Sure, I realize the game was over at that point. But, against Utah and New Orleans Pop pulled the same shit with enough time to make a run and keep the game competitive. It happens all the time in the L.

Manu played like shit, yes, but you've got to ride your best horses all the way through to the end. Manu's the type of guy that can play like shit, but makes a game-changing play that can spark a victory. Nobody that was on the floor, even Tim and Tony, in the fourth could do that IMO. Instead, we bared witness to Timmy and Tony shooting bricks,while Finley and Oberto are non-factors and Pop running plays for Bruce Bowen down 10+ points.

Yeah, I would've taken Manu throwing up bricks over at least two of those scenarios.

T Park
04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
a big fuck you to Pop as well for sitting Tony the first six minutes of the second half after we had built that entire lead up

I didn't know Vaughn started the third quarter..

I know what you meant, chill out.

T Park
04-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I realize the game was over at that point. But, against Utah and New Orleans Pop pulled the same shit with enough time to make a run and keep the game competitive. It happens all the time in the L.

Manu played like shit, yes, but you've got to ride your best horses all the way through to the end. Manu's the type of guy that can play like shit, but makes a game-changing play that can spark a victory. Nobody that was on the floor, even Tim and Tony, in the fourth could do that IMO. Instead, we bared witness to Timmy and Tony shooting bricks,while Finley and Oberto are non-factors and Pop running plays for Bruce Bowne down 10+ points.

Yeah, I would've taken Manu throwing up bricks over at least two of those scenarios.

Hard for Finley to be a factor when he only gets 5 shots.

There was no plays run for Bowen.

The game against Utah was over too, as was the fucking game in New Orleans, get over it.

Solid D
04-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Duncan had already played 8 and 1/2 minutes in the 3rd quarter when Pop pulled him out. It's not so unbelieveable to consider Pop taking Tim out after playing 3/4 of the quarter already. Timmy didn't exactly dominate on Diaw when he did have his opportunity to exploit. Did Pop tell Parker to miss jumpers and go under the screen with 5 seconds left in the quarter on Barbosa at the arc?

When Timmy came back in after a 3 and 1/2 minute rest, trailing by 4 Timmy played another 8 and 1/2 minutes and failed to step up.

Credit the Suns' great play at both ends, the Spurs' lack of execution and poor shooting for this Suns win.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2008, 12:30 AM
You can look at what the Spurs did or didn't do, but this game was truly about the Suns beating the Spurs.
The Suns moves made them very competitive against the Spurs. They looked like the better team out there tonight, and comparisons to last year are worthless.

Please. Find your takes somewhere besides ESPN's talking heads, who love Phoenix.

We had a chance to bury Phoenix TWICE and it was fucked up by Pop's substitution patterns.

1. Parker raced us out to a nice lead towards the end of the first, was taken out with a minute left in the quarter, and did not come back in until 6 minutes left in the second quarter and by that time we had gone from up 10 to losing.

2. The bigger one, Tim gets Shaq and Amare their fourth fouls with a little over 3 minutes left in the 3rd, we're up 9. Both guys are on the bench, Boris fucking Diaw of all people is guarding Duncan (what a joke), and Pop subs him out.

We roll out Kurt Thomas at the five, Michael Finley at the four against Diaw :lol, and Phoenix comes down and goes apeshit on offense, getting buckets in the lane like they're going out of style.

We should have had Tim in and posted him up every time, and it would have been game over. Instead Pop made his stupid ass 'adjust to the other team' adjustment that he seems so flippin' fond of, and that was that - it let Phoenix back in the game at a time when it was over.

If Pop is slightly more competent than a dead man when it comes to his personnel decisions tonight, Spurs win this one going away. Instead, he makes D'Antoni look competent and we're this much closer to being on the road for what is probably going to be a very short playoff season.

ploto
04-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Remember when small ball was Rasho's fault and Nazr's fault. Then it was Francisco's fault and Jackie's fault. Now I suppose it is Kurt's fault.

J_Paco
04-10-2008, 12:36 AM

The game against Utah was over too, as was the fucking game in New Orleans, get over it.

Actually, I believe it was ran out of a time-out. Yup, at the 4:33 mark Pop ran a play for Bruce Bowen out of a 20 second time-out. Like I said, I'd take Manu throwing up bricks along with the rest of his teammates on the floor over the line-up Pop played in the fourth.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Sure, I realize the game was over at that point. But, against Utah and New Orleans Pop pulled the same shit with enough time to make a run and keep the game competitive. It happens all the time in the L.

Manu played like shit, yes, but you've got to ride your best horses all the way through to the end. Manu's the type of guy that can play like shit, but makes a game-changing play that can spark a victory. Nobody that was on the floor, even Tim and Tony, in the fourth could do that IMO. Instead, we bared witness to Timmy and Tony shooting bricks,while Finley and Oberto are non-factors and Pop running plays for Bruce Bowen down 10+ points.

+ 1

I don't know if Pop is doing this because it's regular season or what.
But the game was at a 9 point difference for two minutes left between the 7 minute to five minute mark. It was a W up for grabs! Tim and Manu both had games where they've shot 1-10 then made 5 consecutive shots in a row in the 4th. Especially with a guy like Manu.
I know, at times it's appropriate to teach the guys a lesson, but these are the champs. Sometimes Pop goes to far. He needs to remember the rule about playing full 48 minutes. He pretty much waved the white flag by not putting our best lineup on, in crunch time.

J_Paco
04-10-2008, 12:42 AM

I'm sorry master of all Spurs fan, but I'm not cool with the head coach giving up games because he believes that their "over." Well, if these losses cost the team the 2nd seed and home-court in the first-round, well I guess I'll have to get over my team possibly losing to Houston, Phoenix or Utah.

NRHector
04-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Please. Find your takes somewhere besides ESPN's talking heads, who love Phoenix.

We had a chance to bury Phoenix TWICE and it was fucked up by Pop's substitution patterns.

1. Parker raced us out to a nice lead towards the end of the first, was taken out with a minute left in the quarter, and did not come back in until 6 minutes left in the second quarter and by that time we had gone from up 10 to losing.

2. The bigger one, Tim gets Shaq and Amare their fourth fouls with a little over 3 minutes left in the 3rd, we're up 9. Both guys are on the bench, Boris fucking Diaw of all people is guarding Duncan (what a joke), and Pop subs him out.

We roll out Kurt Thomas at the five, Michael Finley at the four against Diaw :lol, and Phoenix comes down and goes apeshit on offense, getting buckets in the lane like they're going out of style.

We should have had Tim in and posted him up every time, and it would have been game over. Instead Pop made his stupid ass 'adjust to the other team' adjustment that he seems so flippin' fond of, and that was that - it let Phoenix back in the game at a time when it was over.

If Pop is slightly more competent than a dead man when it comes to his personnel decisions tonight, Spurs win this one going away. Instead, he makes D'Antoni look competent and we're this much closer to being on the road for what is probably going to be a very short playoff season.you are so fucken right

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-10-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm sorry master of all Spurs fan, but I'm not cool with the head coach giving up games because he's believe that their "over." Well, if these losses cost the team the 2nd seed and home-court in the first-round, well I guess I'll have to get over my team possibly losing to Houston, Phoenix or Utah.
Pop as great a coach he is, is too conservative when it comes to his "if you're gonna play like shit, don't bother showing up for the game completely" angle.

I hate the idea of waving the white flag early as a disciplinary action against the team. Maybe in normal regular season it's fine. But accepting a loss when the game is far from over, just rubs me the wrong way.
I hated it when he did it in the playoff team for Utah.

Guess it's a matter of preference *shrugs*

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-10-2008, 12:51 AM

Great post. Doesn't bode well for the playoffs though, where the opposition coach gets to adjust to your game 7 games straight.

We are really lacking a consistent 4th offensive option. We need another creator on this team really badly, to put on the floor with Manu so defenses can't just key on him. Instead, Manu tends to play a lot of minutes with 4 other guys relying on him, so it's no surprise he gets shut down.

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Spurs are easy to defend when they basically have 3 scoring options. Teams are just daring the likes of Bowen, Finley, Vaughn, and Udoka to take the shots and beat them.

What's more scary than Pop's small ball technique is Pop's apparent calmness about the Spurs play of late. Ric Bucher interviews him and he's joking around saying har-har we gotta now stop Nash. This team has no fire and I would have thought they'd be more energized to play tonight after having 3 days off and avenging the last game against the Suns.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM

If Pop is slightly more competent than a dead man when it comes to his personnel decisions tonight, Spurs win this one going away. Instead, he makes D'Antoni look competent and we're this much closer to being on the road for what is probably going to be a very short playoff season.

Yup, yup, yup. We were both screaming about it in the game thread. And he also took out Manu at about the 5 minute mark after he had just found his touch on two nice drives.

Pop should've left them both in and run either 4-down or Manu-Tim pnrs for the rest of the quarter. Could've built a 15pt lead right there and it would've been game over, but no, he inexplicably went small. :pctoss

I'm really hoping Pop is NOT completely stupid and that he learns from this failure... however, he's not known for his flexibility, and that doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Here's another question; When was the last time the Spurs beat a quality opponent? The Mavs game I don't really count as Dirk got injured and didn't play in the 4th. Beating Houston without Yao Ming isn't too impressive either. For all their 8 game and 11 game winning streaks, the Spurs have gotten their a@@s handed to them by the likes of Detroit, Boston, Utah, Suns, and the Hornets in between those win streaks. And it's not like those games came down to a lucky break here or there either. Spurs have gotten blown out by the best teams in the league this season.

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm also a little disapointed in how Pop has incorporated Kurt Thomas into the Spurs lineup. His 10-15 foot jumpshot is almost money every time. Spurs should be running more and more pick and rolls with him on the floor to get him that shot. He could be a part of the Spurs offense which they desperately need more of. Suns and DAntoni used Kurt Thomas a lot more effectively than the Spurs have been.

milkyway21
04-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Spurs tonight = :yield

:D

So what what about Pop's plan against the Lakers?

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Lakers haven't been playing well of late so the Spurs actually may have a chance against them. :lol

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 01:11 AM
BTW, If the Spurs were in need of another aging "veteran" player chasing a ring, how nice would it have been if they'd gotten Grant Hill? Can't you just imagine him replacing Finley in the starting lineup? :depressed

ata
04-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Duncan and Ginobili both played like absolute cunts.
Takes one to know one.

Fuck Pop for adjusting the game. When will Pop be able to force opposing team to adjusting their game?

And fuck small ball.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-10-2008, 01:12 AM
I wish there was a way the Spurs could've landed Korver....or anyone with a $ outside shot.

It was pathetic seeing a ZONE defense of all things bringing the Spurs down to their knees.

1Parker1
04-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Awww man, Korver would have been a GREAT addition. Hell, even Gircheck (sp?) looks good at this point... :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
04-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I thought Giricek (sp?) was a minor desperation move since the Suns missed out on Barry.....but at least Giricek is able to play!

*sigh*

word
04-10-2008, 01:23 AM
It is my understanding that the sky, is still where it belongs. In the sky. No ladies and spurms, the sky has not fallen and the world has not ended. Granted, it will end soon mind you, but that has to do with the Mayan calendar. Get with the program here. By the time TD retires, that's right, the world will end soon thereafter so, does it really matter ?

Okay, my question here is this ? Did this loss really change anything ? Nope. We're still tied in second, the Suns are still in 6th and the world keeps spinning around. If anyone thinks, for one minute, the Suns...if we meet in the playoffs...are going to beat the Spurs on the road is nutbar bonkers over the top.

Get a grip. I would like home court against LA and Utah. We'll get that against Utah, LA is another story. The Suns aren't on the radar right now. They weren't tonight and they are not in the near future. This game had the intensity of a pre-season game. Haven't seen the fans or the team this disintersted in a game since December..okay maybe March.

Give it a rest. We're fine.

T Park
04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
His 10-15 foot jumpshot is almost money every time

Kurt Thomas hasn't been since hes gotten there.

His jumper was not on tonight, so no fault there.

T Park
04-10-2008, 01:29 AM
BTW, If the Spurs were in need of another aging "veteran" player chasing a ring, how nice would it have been if they'd gotten Grant Hill? Can't you just imagine him replacing Finley in the starting lineup? :depressed

Finley goes 4 of 5 and you want him replaced.

The hatred never stops.

T Park
04-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Here's another question; When was the last time the Spurs beat a quality opponent? The Mavs game I don't really count as Dirk got injured and didn't play in the 4th. Beating Houston without Yao Ming isn't too impressive either. For all their 8 game and 11 game winning streaks, the Spurs have gotten their a@@s handed to them by the likes of Detroit, Boston, Utah, Suns, and the Hornets in between those win streaks. And it's not like those games came down to a lucky break here or there either. Spurs have gotten blown out by the best teams in the league this season.

Well ya know the Deroit game doesn't count because...

All you do is discount the wins and upplay the losses.

Genius :tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
Spurs have switched roles with the pre-Shaq Suns.
Can beat the crappy teams and teams in the East. Have a tough time sealing the deal against good over 50 teams.
This year, they haven't really shown their A game against the top tier western teams.
They beat Yao-less down-to-earth Houston , Dallas and Orlando...while the rest of the time they've collected streaks thanks to cup-cake teams.

The only thing that assures me is when the Spurs play the great teams, they're right there with them, but seem to lose the game as if they were a regular season of last year. They really looked good the first three quarters. :wtf

Even the games against Boston, they could compete. So I don't know if its a tenacity thing or hunger or what.

T Park
Takes one to know one.

Fuck Pop for adjusting the game. When will Pop be able to force opposing team to adjusting their game?

And fuck small ball.

Deep...

milkyway21
04-10-2008, 02:05 AM
I wish there was a way the Spurs could've landed Korver....or anyone with a $ outside shot.

I'd settle for Brent & Horry.

But I really want an honest update of their injuries this time around(not that one issued by Pop which I am not 100% sure is true:D).

sprrs
04-10-2008, 02:50 AM
CIA Pop. If we take Tim out, D'Antoni thinks that lineup works for him all the time. Come playoffs, he tries and and gets owned.

.....right?

Kori Ellis
04-10-2008, 03:08 AM
What's funny is that a lot of you are ranting that the Spurs aren't good enough to win a title, yet also ranting that the Spurs also lost the game only because of stupid coaching decisions. :lol

Also, some of you are making valid points, but then throwing in random things that make no sense at all.

:wtf Tony started the second half. Did you mean second quarter?

timvp
04-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Good dialogue in this thread. Some good points. I have to agree with Solid D that benching Duncan wasn't as big of a deal as some are making it. The same people who are complaining Pop benched Duncan with three minutes to go in the third are the same people who complained in the Utah game that Duncan wasn't out there to start the fourth. Duncan has to rest at some point in the second half. Resting Duncan when Shaq and Amare are in foul trouble allows Pop to bring Duncan back in when Shaq and Amare return. Otherwise the Suns could have started the fourth quarter with Shaq and Amare versus Oberto and KT.

Pop probably would have left Duncan in there if he was actually abusing Diaw. Duncan was letting Diaw guard him so there wasn't a massive mismatch.

Pop coached poorly but that specific strategy was debatable either way, IMO.

hsxvvd
04-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Maybe Pop secretly has a midget fetish.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I agree with timvp that the matchup problem concerning Diaw in the 4th wasn't that Tim was on the bench.

The problem was that Finley was being absolutely ABUSED by Diaw in the post. Oh - and on the perimeter.

And while on offense, Finley had the ball glued to his hands on the perimeter trying to figure out what to do against a zone defense. I'll sayh it again: With Finley and Vaughn in the game together, there is zero movement on offense.

wildchild
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM
I agree with timvp that the matchup problem concerning Diaw in the 4th wasn't that Tim was on the bench.

The problem was that Finley was being absolutely ABUSED by Diaw in the post. Oh - and on the perimeter.

And while on offense, Finley had the ball glued to his hands on the perimeter trying to figure out what to do against a zone defense. I'll sayh it again: With Finley and Vaughn in the game together, there is zero movement on offense.

Maybe, but I think the small ball works when Manu, Udoka and Finley were playing well in other games.
If these guys suck like against Suns, the small ball sucks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
:wtf Tony started the second half. Did you mean second quarter?

Yeah, sorry, second quarter. He left with a little under a minute left in the first if I remember and didn't come back until the under 6 timeout.

T Park
04-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Uh, Udoka was guarding Diaw in the post.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Uh, Udoka was guarding Diaw in the post.

Not the same sets. Finley got posted up 2 out of 3 straight sets, And at least one other time he was out-played on the perimeter.

Udoka looked good on D down low again.

So pick your poison at the 3. bad D or bad O.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Not the same sets. Finley got posted up 2 out of 3 straight sets, And at least one other time he was out-played on the perimeter.

Udoka looked good on D down low again.

So pick your poison at the 3. bad D or bad O.

Uh, Udoka was guarding Diaw on all his post ups.

Go watch the game film again.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
deleted it, of course.

hmm... I could swear I watched Finley getting posted hard core up in the 3rd.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:58 PM
No Diaw played mostly in the perimiter in the 3rd, but Udoka guarded him all night.

I remember distinctly Udoka getting backed down EASILY for buckets by Diaw.

I personally thought the lineup of Thomas and Oberto would've been good to guard the bigs, and Diaw, cause Oberto is laterally quick enough to hang decently with Stoudamire and Diaw.

T Park
04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
deleted it, of course.

hmm... I could swear I watched Finley getting posted hard core up in the 3rd.

I'd do a brain erase the memory ala eternal sunshine of the spotless mind or whatever to forget it.

I hate losing hope in the damn team like this, ala 06 and 04.