PDA

View Full Version : Would you people STFU about our ofrfense?

whottt
04-10-2008, 12:38 AM
There are these two guys named Barry and Horry...they hit threes, they move the ball, they make smart passes, they don't take stupid shots, they draw defenders even when they aren't hitting shots...

We've won 2 titles in 3 years with them coming off our bench...they matter.

And no...we won't be winning a title if they don't come back this year...and only a fool thought otherwise.

What you people need to be concerning yourself with is that we have a coach that just traded away a #1 pick for Kurt Thomas so Tim Duncan could guard Shaq in the fourth quarters when Amare and Nash are on the bench...

And yes...it's exactly as stupid as it sounds.

GrandeDavid
04-10-2008, 12:53 AM
I was at the game tonight and paid close attention to the ebbs and flows, what have you. When the Spurs were up ten and Duncan was getting some extended rest on the bench, I was pretty content. I thought the Spurs were getting into serious playoff mode. Then came the fourth quarter and Phoenix just crept back in and when they went up five, I still thought we'd see some Manu Magic or Tim would continue to build on his 21 points through three quarters...or Parker would continue to shred that interior Suns defense like he did in the first half...but it didn't happen.

I hear you, Whottt, and while I won't go so far as to throw in the towel, I sure as hell hope that all these heaves find some net in the fourth quarters before the real season starts in a little over a week. That was some damn, DAMN ugly Spurs ball, if you dare call it that, in the fourth quarter.

SPARKY
04-10-2008, 01:21 AM
"Ofrfense"? Is that what it's called nowadays?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-10-2008, 01:26 AM
dude, Horry is finished and we may not even see Barry again for another couple of weeks.

Even when/if we get Barry back, we have no guarantee he will be able to shoot like he did pre-injury.

The Spurs have played good enough defense to continue a solid win streak, it's their JV offense that is killing them out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing the run and gun a bit more, if that's what it takes to get their blood flowing on offense. It feels like we only get 4 fast break points a game now.

Budkin
04-10-2008, 01:44 AM
It's the offense stupid.

ancestron
04-10-2008, 08:17 AM
the defrfense sucked too.

diego
04-10-2008, 08:53 AM
obviously, horry and barry especially help us out against the zone, and we definitely should have KT and Oberto finishing games with at least 5 fouls when playing against shaq...

but what pissed me off about this game was the constant hesitation and fear. everybody loses several games in a season, but they looked horrible last night.

also, our "killer lineup" used to be the big 3 + bowen and horry. apparently now finley is in for horry. thats a pretty big drop off, especially on the defensive end.

SAGambler
04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
There are these two guys named Barry and Horry...they hit threes, they move the ball, they make smart passes, they don't take stupid shots, they draw defenders even when they aren't hitting shots...

Problem is they can't do this in street clothes sitting behind the bench.

boutons_
04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
even if they are playable for Game1 of the playoffs, neither will be in game shape.

Brent is my biggest concern. He hasn't played for months.

Budkin
04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah where the hell is Brent? It's starting to look like he's done for the season.

2Cleva
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
whott - its clear Pop doesn't trust any of the other big defenders in the clutch. Which is his call. But that does put SA in a bind against Utah, Phx, and LA who have multiple big men who can score.

Its all about seeding - no one knows who plays who for now. But teams who can attack SA inside - Phx and a healthy Laker team and the Spurs will be in trouble.

Slippy
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
We definately needed some threes last night. To break open the Suns zone and space the floor easier. Barry and Horry are a big part of that.

SenorSpur
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I think it's "fool's gold" to believe that Horry and Barry are going to come in and "save the day" in the playoffs. Neither one may be healthy enough to give it a go. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

whottt
04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I think it's "fool's gold" to believe that Horry and Barry are going to come in and "save the day" in the playoffs.

IF they are healthy we'll be a better team, if they aren't there's nothing anyone can do about it, and we won't be winning a title. It's not even worth wasting energy on.

Neither one may be healthy enough to give it a go.

Absolutely true...so why worry about it? Much more productive to worry about Pop's stupid fucking substitutions.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Eh...I think they'll probably be back, not that I would bet the house on it or anything....but hell, Barry could have ruptured an achilles and just about been back by now.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
The Spurs definitely need a shooting option beyond the Big 3. It's no coincidence that the brief offensive wakeup the Spurs had a week or so ago happened to occur at the same time Finley found his stroke.

Right now the Spurs have only 3 guys that other teams need to defend, and most nights it's only 1 or 2.

RoHo, and Barry to a lesser degree, are about the only two role players on this team capable of stepping up beyond Finley, and Finley can only do it these days during every third full moon or some variance to that equation.

Our big 3 are going to have to be beasts and Finley is going to have to morph into the Fin of 4 years ago if the Spurs are going to get past the first round of the post season.

DarrinS
04-10-2008, 11:28 AM
RoHo, and Barry to a lesser degree, are about the only two role players on this team capable of stepping up beyond Finley, and Finley can only do it these days during every third full moon or some variance to that equation.

He was shooting well last night (4 of 5, 2 for 2 on 3's), but he didn't take enough shots.

But, in general, I agree with your post.

mavs>spurs2
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
When you get held to 64 points by Utah and then 79 by the freakin Suns, you're offense is definately the problem. I don't watch the Spurs enough to know exactly what's going on but the defense looks great.

41times
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
The Spurs offense is simple. You get 60 or so points from your big 3 and then you count on the rest of the team to pitch in 30-35 pionts. Then the defense is charged with holding the other team under 95.

That sounds over simplistic but it is what it is. If the Big 3 score more than 60 then that's less pressure on the remainder of the team. If they don't then it's more pressure.

Over the years the bench players have given the Spurs the scoring punch they need to reach that 95 point level or more. But this year the bench production has been very poor and spiradic at best. (see Finley, horry, barry etc)

The question is whether or not you can get that production from the bench once the playoffs start? If you do, you will fine. If you don't you will be in serious trouble.

BonnerDynasty
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
When you get held to 64 points by Utah and then 79 by the freakin Suns, you're offense is definately the problem. I don't watch the Spurs enough to know exactly what's going on but the defense looks great.

Absolutely no ball movement and horrible fucking shot selection.

BiZNicK
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Manu needs to step up his game...that would definitely help. Notice how the Spurs have struggled lately, just as Manu has been struggling lately.

Come on Manu!!