PDA

View Full Version : This next opponent is dangerous

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Jan. 15, 2005, 11:21PM

Wizards get hot while Suns freeze
Washington wins seventh straight; Dixon scores 26
Associated Press

Juan Dixon jumped, clenched his fists and let out a yell amid the roar of the fans as he ran downcourt. It was a fitting way to celebrate a spectacular layup during Washington's 16-0 fourth-quarter run against the NBA's top team.

Dixon scored 13 of his 26 points — including a driving change-hands-in-midair layup in traffic — in the final period, helping the Wizards to their seventh straight win, a 108-103 victory that sent the Phoenix Suns to their first three-game losing streak of the season. :smokin

"Emotion, man. Getting an opportunity," said the former University of Maryland star, explaining his series of emotional releases that including a pose to admire a 3-pointer. "There's times when you're on the bench the whole game, you urge your teammates on, but you're not really a part of it because you're not out there contributing.

"Me, getting an opportunity to play and be a part of it, it's a lot of fun. I'm enjoying it right now."

The Wizards, off to their best start since 1978-79, made up a 10-point second-half deficit and won for the eighth time this season when trailing at the start of the fourth quarter. They usually make it thrilling — they won on a buzzer-beater by Larry Hughes at Milwaukee the night before — but they're winning.

If the Spurs do not improve quicky, they will be Washington's next victim.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Also if this does not tell everyone that Nash is the MVP of the league, they need to watch another sport.

exstatic
01-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Even the folks on TNT said it: you cannot be the MVP when you play only offense. They said that if Parker had been unreined, he could have gone for 40/20 against Phoenix/Nash.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Even the folks on TNT said it: you cannot be the MVP when you play only offense. They said that if Parker had been unreined, he could have gone for 40/20 against Phoenix/Nash.

So, if you go to a last place team, and turn the same team into the best team in the league, you are not the MVP???????

The guys at TNT are even dumber than I thought.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 11:34 AM
And they lose every game that Nash missed because of injury.

Hmmm, what is the reason why Phoenix has the best record in the NBA???

I wonder......

boutons
01-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I think the Spurs should take a dive on th Wiz game, also.

The Spurs losing more games @SBC to inferior teams would help redress the imbalance of the 8 give-away losses on the road to inferior teams. And, WTF, it would be "only one loss". Spurs have lost not a single game, zero, to inferior teams at @SBC. This is a crime that must be corrected.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 11:37 AM
The Spurs will win in OT.

pjjrfan
01-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Two things stand out in that game, 1. A nashless Suns team scored over a 100 pts. and could've won that game, and for the Suns they had only 13 assits with Barbosa leading the way with zero. Maybe the Wiz don't play defense, and these suns really really need Nash. i like the spurs chances on ending the Wiz'z streak.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
exstatic, before Nash was injured, the Suns had played 35 games and do you know how many games that Nash was not the leader in team assists?

One game, the New orleans game where Johnson had 7 assists and Nash who got hurt in 2nd Q and only played 19 mins. Nash had 6 assists in that 19 mins,
btw...one behind Johnson, who played 44 mins.

boutons
01-16-2005, 12:04 PM
"1. A nashless Suns team scored over a 100 pts
... Maybe the Wiz don't play defense"

Wiz are the worst in NBA in PPG allowed, and the Wiz win by on average by less the 2 pts.

On average, ALL opponents of Wizards score 100 PPG, so that the high-offense, Nash-less Suns managed to do it indicates nothing (all the other teams don't have Nash still score 100 PPG).

pjjrfan
01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Well you backed up my observation, I wasn't looking at the stats for the year, but that game shows me they don't play good defense, and you just backed it up with the stats and then say it does't mean anything, it does mean something, because the Spurs do play defense and are a very good offensive team. How many times have the Spurs given up a 100 pts to any team, not very many, of that I'm sure of.

GoSpurs21
01-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I agree with the statement that washington is a good team. if Tim Duncan continues to sleep walk though games the Spurs will lose this one big.

Nash is by no way the MVP. You can't be MVP if you only play offense. The last time a guard was voted MVP, was Magic Johnson. Magic played at both ends of the court, Nash does not. Some people think the MVP is giving to the player who makes his team better by his presence, WRONG. Check the history, most writers consider the MVP to be the best player in the NBA for the year. Based upon this criteria Nash will not be considered MVP.

boutons
01-16-2005, 12:44 PM
"the Spurs do play defense"

... but too erratically. Last night, like vs DAL, the Spurs defense collapsed in the 4th qtr, allowing HOU 25 pts, while Spurs offense also collapsed in the 4th, scoring just 17.

When the Spurs playd bad/mediocre defense, they also play like shit on offense, because, at least this year, the Spurs defensive execution has been the platform for the offensive attack, with RB, STLs, TOs leading to FB and transition points.

The Spurs are a pretty shitty half-court offense team, since the Spurs offense is built on clogging up the middle with a C and PF vs shooting teams or motion offenses like SAC that spread the floor to open up the middle. The Lakers clogged up their paint last May, and the Spurs when 0-4. Stop Tim's inside game, make driving difficult, and you stop the Spurs.

ie, the Spurs HAVE to play good defense because their offense really isn't up there with the best offenses. SA is 14th in PPG. If the Spurs defense can't take the opponent offense out of its game, the Spurs are done.

The problem last night was the JVG gave the Spurs some of their own defensive medicine (very much like the playoff Lakers did), and the Spurs soft offense couldn't hit shit (just like last May), Spurs lose.

And of course, the Spurs missed 10 FTs, including 3 FTs missed in crunch time, then lose by 6 points.

GoSpurs21
01-16-2005, 01:07 PM
^^^
7-19 shooting against defensive standouts Yao and Howard didnt help either

ShoogarBear
01-16-2005, 01:53 PM
The last time a guard was voted MVP, was Magic Johnson.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

:rolleyes

polandprzem
01-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Magic?
My goodness. What year is today?

Kori Ellis
01-16-2005, 02:50 PM

There's a guy in Philly who doesn't agree with you.

SpursWoman
01-16-2005, 02:53 PM

http://aol.nba.com/media/playerfile/allen_iverson.jpg

http://media.nba.com/media/playerfile/michael_jordan.jpg

:lmao

Kori Ellis
01-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Ignoring that obviously MJ won, Allen Iverson just won in 2001.

GoSpurs21
01-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Ignoring that obviously MJ won, Allen Iverson just won in 2001.I stand (with egg on my face) corrected. I meant point guard. Both MJ and Al were SG when they won. And they both played defence as well as offense. My point is still valid, one cannot only play offense and win MVP.

adidas11
01-16-2005, 05:52 PM
GoSpurs is correct. It's VERY difficult for a point guard to win the MVP, due to statistical reasons. The only other points guards to win MVP to my recollection besides Magic are the Big O, and Cousy.

And he's right, Iverson was playing shooting guard when he won MVP.

GoSpurs21
01-16-2005, 05:58 PM
"I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok." ---> Shaq

dam that's funny

Spurminator
01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Jason Kidd lost by a hair, and a big reason for that was that he was in the East, and Duncan was having a comparable season in the West.

This year, there really hasn't been a big man having a dominant season for any top team. Duncan has underachieved somewhat, Garnett is on a barely .500 team, and Shaq is arguably the second most valuable player on his own team. If the vote was today, Nash would win by a landslide.

And it really has nothing to do with defense. If the Suns have the best record in the NBA, then clearly his defense has not been a factor. They win by running their opponents out of the building, and Nash is the motor.

GoSpurs21
01-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Jason Kidd lost by a hair, and a big reason for that was that he was in the East, and Duncan was having a comparable season in the West.

This year, there really hasn't been a big man having a dominant season for any top team. Duncan has underachieved somewhat, Garnett is on a barely .500 team, and Shaq is arguably the second most valuable player on his own team. If the vote was today, Nash would win by a landslide.

And it really has nothing to do with defense. If the Suns have the best record in the NBA, then clearly his defense has not been a factor. They win by running their opponents out of the building, and Nash is the motor.I said it before, some people think the MVP is giving to the player who makes his team better by his presence, WRONG. Check the history, most writers consider the MVP to be the best overall (stats) player in the NBA for the year.

Based upon this criteria I dont see how Nash will be considered MVP. There is still more than half a season to play. Can any team really maintain the intensity and minutes that the Suns are displaying. If Nash is out for more than 10 games he will probably be out of the running as well.

I tend to agree that Nash has made the biggest positive effect on his team than any other player. I just dont see that all the writers will vote this way. In fact the vote may get split between 3-5 different players. Could be the closest vote in history.

Spurminator
01-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Who is the MVP then?

- History also shows that players rarely win the MVP unless they also win their division.

- Nash has stats to back up his candidacy. He leads the NBA in assists and he's in the top ten in FG%, which is normally unheard of for a guard.

- And obviously, if we're talking about the MVP so far, it doesn't matter how he holds up later in the season.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
YEAR G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
2004-2005 37 37 33.9 5.8-11.3 .516 1.2-3.2 .385 2.5-2.7 .910 1.05 0.0 3.1 2.0 0.5 2.6 3.1 10.9 15.3

Look at his stats.

You do not think he is having one of the greatest seasons of any player this year??

Look ar his rankings in these statistical categories too:

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(10.9) Ranks #10 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.516)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Free-Throw Percentage(0.91) Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists(402.0)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Assists Per Turnover(3.5) Ranks #6 in the NBA in Double-doubles(21.0)
Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(15.4) Ranks #8 in the NBA in Total Turnovers(115.0)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(796.0) Ranks #19 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(21.51)
Ranks #11 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(30.49) Ranks #12 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(3.11)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(4.41)

Top 10 in 4 categories
Top 2 in 3 categories
Top 13 in 7 categories

No, he is not one of the best players this year. :rolleyes

exstatic
01-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Jim - Phoenix has NO bench. They couldn't adapt to having any of their five starters out. It's not just a Nash thing, and frankly, if they got someone who could D up and hit some shots, they could get along without him after an adjustment period. The MVP of the Phoenix Suns is Amare. Second place is Matrix. Frankly, you could plug in probably ten guys league wide into Nash's spot and they'd do as well. He does two things: he shoots the ball, and runs the fast break offense. That's it. He's probably not even as good a PG in the half court as Beno. Slow down Phoenix and you kill them. Nash can't run an effective half court offense. He never could in Dallas, either.

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 07:12 PM
ex, they had all those guys last year and they had almost the worst record in the West.

They get Nash this year and they have the best in all of bball.

HOW in the fuck can you say that he is not the difference maker....it is staring you in the face, you are just being a freakin stubborn man because I called the MVP back in Nov and you do not want to hear me tell you I told you so. Am I right?

ShoogarBear
01-16-2005, 07:14 PM
They didn't have Quentin Richardson last year.

Spurminator
01-16-2005, 08:03 PM
If Q was equally as responsible for the Suns' turnaround as Nash, then they deserve co-MVPs.

boutons
01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Wizards' Hughes Out Up to Six Weeks With Broken Thumb

Associated Press
Sunday, January 16, 2005; 6:24 PM

WASHINGTON -- NBA steals leader Larry Hughes was diagnosed Sunday with a broken right thumb and will miss four to six weeks, the first real crisis to hit a Washington Wizards team off to its best start in decades.

Hughes was hurt when his thumb was hit by Quentin Richardson while driving for a layup in the final minutes of Saturday night's victory over the Phoenix Suns.

"This is a difficult loss for our team," coach Eddie Jordan said. "We certainly feel for Larry, who has played a big part in our team's success. We have confidence in our team to overcome a setback like this."

Hughes is one of the so-called Big Three, along with Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas, who have led the Wizards (22-13) to seven straight wins in their best start since the 1978-79 season. Hughes in the only NBA player averaging more than 20 points (21.2), five rebounds (6.1), five assists (5.3) and 2.5 steals (2.82) -- all career highs for the seventh-year player from Saint Louis.

"I am very disappointed that this happened, but I have full confidence that my teammates will play well while I'm out," Hughes said. "I look forward to getting back as soon as possible."

The Wizards have entered a difficult part of the schedule, with a two-game road trip to Texas and road games against Indiana and Cleveland in eight days. Without a consistent low-post scoring threat, the team had regularly needed each of the Big Three to contribute every game.

Now it's a Big Two plus Juan Dixon, who is expected to start in Hughes' spot at shooting guard. Dixon has played well in the last two games, scoring 13 points against Milwaukee and 26 against Phoenix. Anthony Peeler and Laron Profit would back up Dixon.

The Wizards have constantly been victims of bad decisions and bad luck since the 1980s. Last season was derailed by long-term injuries to Hughes, Arenas and Jerry Stackhouse, and Hughes' latest setback is eerily reminiscent of an injury to Michael Jordan that sent the promising 2001-02 season into a spiral.

The Wizards were 26-21 after a victory over Western Conference powerhouse Sacramento and appeared a shoo-in for the playoffs, only to learn later that Jordan hurt his knee in the game and would be limited the rest of the season. The team went 11-24 the rest of the season and missed the postseason.

Kori Ellis
01-16-2005, 08:36 PM
That sucks for the Wiz. He's been playing so well.

ShoogarBear
01-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Nah, I don't think Q is equally responsible.

But this isn't the same Phoenix team as last year. And I also think that the loss of any one of their starters is catastrophic for them.

Q did show himself to be valuable for the Spurs' next game, however (see above).

exstatic
01-16-2005, 08:44 PM
...it is staring you in the face, you are just being a freakin stubborn man because I called the MVP back in Nov and you do not want to hear me tell you I told you so.

You could only do that if he won, Mr. look in the mirror for stubborn. Last time I looked, it was 16 January, and it will be probably at least four months before they announce the winner. I don't understand why you're all in his jock, either. It's not like he's one of those losers from Maryland. :lol

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 10:23 PM
You could only do that if he won, Mr. look in the mirror for stubborn. Last time I looked, it was 16 January, and it will be probably at least four months before they announce the winner. I don't understand why you're all in his jock, either. It's not like he's one of those losers from Maryland. :lol

He is Canadian, and the Canadian national animal is the Turtle, just like Maryland's Terrapin.

:p

Jimcs50
01-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Washington will not miss Hughes...they have Dixon, who won the game for them last night....oh, and btw, Dixon went to Maryland too. :)

Sense
01-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Nash will get the MVP, aslong as the Suns continue like this and reach 60, or 50+.

It is a guarantee, Shaq's team is falling apart...Wade is injured, and he hasn't given them wins.

KG won't win. If he does, everything is a scam.

Nash will win.

myhc
01-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Washington will not miss Hughes...they have Dixon, who won the game for them last night....oh, and btw, Dixon went to Maryland too. :)

woohoo! fellow UMD fan on this board! i've been with maryland since the walt williams days. dixon will get it done, no prob.

san antonio spurs
01-17-2005, 12:58 AM
sorry, I oppened the thread ready to talk about the wizards current surge,and I'm on the wrong one,I'm on some MVP race and Phoenix achievements' threads, where is the This next opponent is dangerous thread???
________
Jerk2MyTits (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Jerk2MyTits/)

Kaster
01-17-2005, 05:10 AM
ex, they had all those guys last year and they had almost the worst record in the West.

No, they DID NOT have all the same guys from last year. You didn't watch the Suns much obviously. None of them have been injured this year until Nash just recently. Last year however, Amare missed how many games? Yes that's right, a full 27. That's a huge amount of games from your franchise player. Not to mention the fact that JJ and Amare were still developing last season, when they were both still just 22 years old.

They get Nash this year and they have the best in all of bball.

That's what happens when your best player averages 26 ppg on 58% shooting. And don't give me that "Nash made him better BS". Amare was averaging 25 and 9 on 50% shooting after the All Star Break last season.

HOW in the fuck can you say that he is not the difference maker....it is staring you in the face, you are just being a freakin stubborn man because I called the MVP back in Nov and you do not want to hear me tell you I told you so. Am I right?

No, you are not right. Nash pushes the ball and does a great job getting his teammates involved. But that's not an MVP; he doesn't play any defense, doesn't rebound worth shit, and doesn't do anything else period. He's a great shooter, and scores a lot because of that in an offense that fits him, but besides that and his passing, that's it.

And when Nash went down in the Pacers game a few days ago, the Suns were already down by 13. They had also lost the previous game with Nash, they were clearly in a slump. And hell, they were leading the red hot Wizards last night until mid-way through the 4th quarter.

Kaster
01-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot, they have Q this year too.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot, they have Q this year too.

blah blah blah.....did someone say something?

nobody ever listens to you...you get no respect in here, go away.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 09:02 AM
sorry, I oppened the thread ready to talk about the wizards current surge,and I'm on the wrong one,I'm on some MVP race and Phoenix achievements' threads, where is the This next opponent is dangerous thread???

My thread was hijacked....sorry.

We can talk about Juan Dixon's team all you want....go ahead, shoot.

Solid D
01-17-2005, 10:28 AM
The Spurs will have to neutralize the physicality of the Wizard's front line and then keep Jamison from getting his garbage baskets (box out). When they double Jamison they need to stick on him after the shot goes up. This is imperative.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
If you had bet a few thousand dollars at the start of the season that Washington would have the 2nd best record in the East by the midpoint of the season and had a better record than Indy and Detroit, you could have gotten 30-1 odds and been a rich man.

boutons
01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
WAS front court is weak in scoring and rebounding.

WAS's game is back-court offense (now minus Larry), and no defense (NBA-worst PPG allowed).

WAS @SBC should be a Spurs blowout if the Spurs play defense. WAS should be held to under 90 pts.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 10:56 AM
WAS @SBC should be a Spurs blowout if the Spurs play defense. WA

Yes, it should be a blowout.

signed, Toronto, Memphis, Houston, Houston and Orlando. :rolleyes

boutons
01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
"Toronto, Memphis, Houston, Houston and Orlando"

Punctuation counts, you left off "@" 5 times.

Those were all giveaway ROAD losses, where the Spurs have shown their softness. (add giveaways @SAC and @UTA)

Spurs have only given away one loss _@SBC_ (2nd SEA game, only 2nd quarter).

Spurs are due to giveaway a game @SBC, why not tonight?

Solid D
01-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Kwame Brown was replaced by Etan Thomas on the active roster. Haywood and Thomas have bumped the Spurs' bigs around pretty well the past couple of seasons.

The Small Forwards, Jamison and Hayes, give them excellent points and rebounding production. The loss of Hughes is huge but Arenas has been incredible this season and Dixon can really play. If Arenas tries to do too much, the Spurs can work with that quite nicely. It's the SF position that the Spurs really have to defend all the way through the possession.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
"Toronto, Memphis, Houston, Houston and Orlando"

Punctuation counts, you left off "@" 5 times.

Those were all giveaway ROAD losses, where the Spurs have shown their softness. (add giveaways @SAC and @UTA)

Spurs have only given away one loss _@SBC_ (2nd SEA game, only 2nd quarter).

Spurs are due to giveaway a game @SBC, why not tonight?

You said "blowout"...I do not see a blowout. They are not being dominant lately....I see a tough game.

They barely beat Dallas at home the other night when Dallas was missing 3 players.

Jimcs50
01-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Dixon is one player that will not be blown away by TP's speed. Dixon is plenty quick and he can play great lock down defense too. TP will have his hands full if Dixon guards him.

boutons
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
blowout is my prediction: Spurs low 100s, Wiz high 80s.

oops, Tim doesn't like afternoon games. Maybe this is another giveaway loss.

samikeyp
01-17-2005, 12:15 PM
the way the Spurs have played of late....any opponent is dangerous.

Kaster
01-18-2005, 08:51 PM

Translation; I watch ESPN and don't have league pass, but I'm a Spurs homer so I feel like I can talk about other teams.

Spurminator
01-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I still haven't seen anyone suggest a more deserving candidate at this point in the season.

The Suns were below .500 last year in games that Amare was healthy enough to play in. A lot of their improvement is due to D'Antoni, and his willingness to put his five best players on the floor together for most of the game... as opposed to starting Jake Voskuhl because he's a more typical center.

Nash has been the perfect point guard for D'Antoni's gameplan. No team has been better until now, and no one on the team was more responsible for their success than Nash.

Of course, a lengthy span on the IL would pretty much destroy his candidacy, but right now I can't think of anyone else in the league as important to his team's success this year as Nash. The most obvious three - Shaq, Duncan and KG - are either having substandard seasons statistically compared with their past production, or (in KG's case) has a struggling team.

T Park
01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
Uh Jimcs,

want to retract anything you said in this thread yet????

Kaster
01-21-2005, 07:16 AM

That's right bitch, don't even respond.